PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's new baseball scorebox

Fenway
05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Last night ESPN started using a new enhanced scorebox with pitcher batter stats and other goodies. I just think it cluttered up the screen too much.

Also NESN's new producer has been doing something that has been getting a lot of feedback mostly negative.

Right now NESN will only show the scorebox when they use the CF camera when the pitcher throws the ball. I honestly think viewers want to have it there all the time.

Would welcome feedback.

FedEx227
05-05-2008, 11:15 AM
I liked the new little bar they had ontop of the regular score box that said what guys hit in certain counts and stuff, I thought that was pretty cool myself.

doublem23
05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I think viewers like having the score on the screen all the time, so you can keep the game on in the background and just check in.

As for the ESPN scorebox, I didn't even notice it until the 7th inning yesterday. Even with this new scorebox, all the graphics ESPN dots on the screen take up, maybe 5% of the screen. I've never understood how that can bother people so much.

:dunno:

pierzynski07
05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
The ESPN enhancement is fine, but I'd like to see them include walks, strikeouts, and OBP for certain situations. Seeing just the average, HRs, and RBIs for each split doesn't really show the full picture.

Based on highlights I've seen: Cleveland, Toronto (TSN), and Oakland OTA also only show the scorebar during the pitching. I only hate it because I'm not use to it. But when you think about it, it's not necessary when the ball is put into play. You don't need to a consistant reminder of the game situation at that point.

Edit: I was refering to when the ball is in play. Sounds like you're saying that it's not shown at all except for the center field camera. That's bad.

balke
05-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I liked the new little bar they had ontop of the regular score box that said what guys hit in certain counts and stuff, I thought that was pretty cool myself.

Yeah, I actually kinda liked it. I didn't notice it til later in the game. I wouldn't like it on a standard def TV though. I don't think Comcast or anyone should try it though, because I don't think they have the proper sized staff to compile and dish out that info. Kinda like when I was watching Cubs/Cards over the weekend and they kept saying "And here's our starting lineup" and they cut to graphics that never showed up.

Its cool ESPN is doing it, but I don't think its something that's necessary that everyone has to do.

soxfan21
05-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I saw this last night also and thought that it was pretty neat. I don't know if I would want it on during Sox games at this point because I am sure most of our hitters stats during certain pitch counts would be pretty dismal :(:.

downstairs
05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
My opinion is the more information, the more often (100% of the game is fine with me), the better.

I often watch in bars, like a lot of people do, without any sound.

But even when at home, there is nothing worse than allowing a pitch to be thrown without showing the count/runners on.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
What is this thing you call ESPN?

Lip

kba
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Of all that I've seen, I like the Comcast score bar the best. It's small and simple (black and white), and says what it has to say without calling a lot of attention to itself.

Does NESN still run a continuous sportsnews crawl at the bottom of the screen? I've always found those pretty distracting. I don't mind a scoreboard crawl every fifteen minutes or so, but I've yet to meet a baseball fan who wants to see tennis results or NASCAR pole positions continuously crawling by during a ballgame.

itsnotrequired
05-05-2008, 12:14 PM
The ESPN enhancement is fine, but I'd like to see them include walks, strikeouts, and OBP for certain situations. Seeing just the average, HRs, and RBIs for each split doesn't really show the full picture.

Last night was the first game. I'm sure it will be enhanced as the technology develops. All they are doing is electronically drawing information from a massive database. Programmed properly, they should be able to display these real-time stats with ease.

Sockinchisox
05-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I'd rather it drop down then up, it was barely noticeable, but I like the idea.

I want Mags back
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Of all that I've seen, I like the Comcast score bar the best. It's small and simple (black and white), and says what it has to say without calling a lot of attention to itself.

:threadhijack:

I wonder how long that scorebox will be around. On sportscenter I have seen that all the other CSN have switched to a new one, thats a long blue strip going all across the top.

ksimpson14
05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
HD people hate the extra clutter or scoreboards (especially the bottom line tickers) because they figure they spent all this money on great picture quality, wide picture, etc, and unnecessary graphics are going to go ahead and cover all that up

SOXPHILE
05-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Does NESN still run a continuous sportsnews crawl at the bottom of the screen? I've always found those pretty distracting. I don't mind a scoreboard crawl every fifteen minutes or so, but I've yet to meet a baseball fan who wants to see tennis results or NASCAR pole positions continuously crawling by during a ballgame.

I do like the scroll of scores on the bottom of the screen, but what annoys me about it is how long each one takes. Just give me the score of each game, and move on to the next one. I don't need to see what the batting results were for 3 or 4 players on each team, and how many innings each pitcher went, etc. Unless something unusual happened, like a no hitter, or someone hit their 500th homerun, I'll get all that info later on. Right now, I just want the scores, and don't want to wait while it takes them 15 minutes to get through 2 or 3 games, and all the stats.

pierzynski07
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
:threadhijack:

I wonder how long that scorebox will be around. On sportscenter I have seen that all the other CSN have switched to a new one, thats a long blue strip going all across the top.
That was just SF. As far as I know, the others (New England, Philly) are still the black stripe.

I want Mags back
05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
That was just SF. As far as I know, the others (New England, Philly) are still the black stripe.
I feel like I've seen Phillies highlights with it, but MLB.tv confirms my wrongness

I didnt realize NE had a CSN, being that the Red Sox are on NESN

pierzynski07
05-05-2008, 10:44 PM
New England became CSN last October (and I was refering to their basketball games).

BTW, whatever happened to that "national SportsNight" that was suppost to occur last fall?