PDA

View Full Version : Center Field Camera: Straight away or to the side?

pierzynski07
05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Since late last year, the Cardinals have put their center field camera in straight away center field, as opposed to off to the side like everyone else. Now it seems that the Red Sox are doing it too.

While this view does provide a better look at the strikezone, it sure seems like they have another motivation in mind: ad money. Both teams have two rotating ad boards, one on each side of the plate. Thus far, it's only been the same company, occasionally showing two different slogans. But it's probably only a matter of time before the teams begin showing two different ad companies at the same time, thus doubling their revenue.

But that's just a theory. Anyway, I just wanna know if you like this new angle, or prefer the old one.

ondafarm
05-05-2008, 09:09 AM
I hate all the additional signage.

Rockin Robin
05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I like the angle from dead center. If I'm going to start getting up in arms over another additional ad, I'd be in the mental hospital within hours.

I want Mags back
05-05-2008, 01:49 PM
The dead center angle makes me think im watching the LLWS or something.

Its not a good angle, its too raised.

skobabe8
05-05-2008, 02:36 PM
The dead center angle makes me think im watching the LLWS or something.

Its not a good angle, its too raised.

I agree. I dont mind the ads. Whatever. Im just not a fan of the angle. I like the 'off-center' view much better.

RichFitztightly
05-05-2008, 04:25 PM
The dead-center angle is far superior. You get a better sense of pitch location and movement. It truly enhances the game viewing experience.

laxtonto
05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I prefer the dead center angle just because it allows less lattitude in the long run about Umpire calls. With the angled camera veiw, there remains some lee way just becasue of the optical illusion created with the camera angle.

Not that big of deal, but a prefereable change if possible.

Rockin Robin
05-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Actually, it kinda depends. I've seen it where I really like it, but watching a game that is in the new Washington stadium is pretty difficult. I hate that angle.

Huisj
05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
I've always really like the dead center camera angle. espn used it a whole lot a few years back, maybe just on Sunday night games or something, and they dropped it all the sudden. I think it really enhances how you see a pitcher work, especially because it evens out the difference between how righties and lefties look. From the more common side angle, a right hander breaking ball looks tame most of the time, and a lefty breaking ball looks like it breaks 15 feet, but from the dead center view, they look more the same.

A.T. Money
05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I like the dead center angle too. You can definitely see the pitches. It's way cooler!

I wonder if the Sox will ever do it?

pierzynski07
05-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I like the dead center angle too. You can definitely see the pitches. It's way cooler!

I wonder if the Sox will ever do it?
It appears that the current camera is already pretty high up on the batter's eye (http://sunson.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/dscn0049.JPG). To not be obstructed by the pitcher, it would probably have to be on top of the fan deck.