PDA

View Full Version : The Last Refuge of a Scoundrel is Patriotism - The Ozzie Rant

KingXerxes
05-05-2008, 09:45 AM
OK - we've had a terrible week against Minnesota and Toronto, not hitting, not fielding particularly well, can't get the third out without damage being done, fell out of first etc. ad naseum.

I also realize that Guillen (as well as others hopefully) is incredibly aggravated at the situtation of the last six days of so, and that a heated pre or post game press conference was inevitable.

That being said, I am praying that we haven't seen the first of a long barrage of "Hey we won it all in 2005" or "Hey - why aren't you critical of the Cubs?" as a deflection of what is going on here.

It is laughable to think that Guillen - or anybody else in the organization - thinks that the good will from winning the World Series three years ago will keep fans happy. Will it keep them loyal? Certainly, but in no way is anybody going to go through a week like they just had and kick back, smile and muse "Ahhhhh but in 2005.....". Most White Sox fans will readily admit that the stadium will be filled if the White Sox are playing well - this isn't news to anybody who has followed this team for the past 40 years. One only needs to listen to the post game show on WSCR to hear that the fan base is not extremely thrilled right now. To say that the organization isn't getting enough slack today, for an accomplishment (albeit a great one) three years ago isn't going to hold too much water.

Secondly, to start comparing how your team is treated relative to the Cubs has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the situation. Think about it. Let's say the media in Chicago were to absolutely berate the Cubs on a day-in and day-out basis, giving them no room to breath and being hypercritical of everything about their organization. Would this change anything about the White Sox? It would feed what I consider to be a rather annoying "anti-Cubs" sentiment in a lot of White Sox fans (I personally view the Cubs in the same fashion I view the Pittsburgh Pirates from a White Sox fan's perspective), but it would do absolutely nothing to further the goals of the White Sox - which is what Ozzie Guillen and the organization should be concerned about.

:hawk

"Yessir - my ol' friend Freddie Guntz........mercy. DJ, he won the Illinois State Lottery back in 2005, but made a few mistakes with his money, lost it all, and had to move back in with his parents.......mercy."

:DJ

"Wow. He must be miserable that he once hit such great heights, but messed it up."

"Well he is - but I'm telling you he's got the wrong outlook........he should be very happy watching the black and white Zenith in his parents' basement, because only three years ago he was worth over $16,000,000."

:DJ

"But what does that do for him now?"

"Yessir........memories. They can keep you going for a long time in this game.......mercy."

ondafarm
05-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Not to be argumentative (or maybe to be so) but one heck of a lot of people I encouter and suggest that Guillen is the problem on this team say, "He won a World Series." As if winning three years ago exempts Guillen from ever being considered unsuccessful.

soxrme
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Very well put. Take care of our team, don't worry about the cubs. Just an attempt of deflecting poor play.

balke
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Guillen knows 2005 means very little, I think that's why he always jokes about being fired. All jokes have a sliver of truth in them.

I don't think he's close to being fired at all, and so far I don't think he's doing anything wrong with this team. The pitchers are pitching, there's been bad plays on the infield and poor execution at the plate. Close losses, which are the toughest losses.

cards press box
05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
It is true that the undeniable media bias toward the Cubs is not relevant to the issue of whether the Sox play fundamentally sound baseball. Having said that, Ozzie is absolutely right. The Cubs and their fans have gotten a virtual free pass as long as I can remember. Take the Bartman escapade -- did the local or national media take on the Cub fans (or Cub friendly media) who incessantly scapegoated that poor guy. Harry Caray's blows up the Bartman ball and the same local and national media essentially wink at the so-called "good natured fun." Yeah, that whole ridiculous episode was real good natured.

And how about Cubs management with their arrogant refusal to fix a pitiful, crumbling ballpark and their bizarre stewardhip of the Cubs since the conclusion of World War II? Hardly a peep from the local press about that. But if the Sox have one losing season from 2000 through 2007, it's bombs away.

The local media coverage of the White Sox is profoundly dysfunctional and I'm glad that someone is calling these journalistic jokes (like the Windsock) out for treating the Sox like the proverbial "red-headed stepchild."

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
The fact that the Cubs get a better press spin and more press due to their moves over the years isn't news. Using that news as a reason to cover your team's NON production at the plate is a lame ass excuse. Maybe Ozzie needs to meet with the coaching staff and take a bite out of their ass instead of the players.

spiffie
05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I can think of a few posters here for whom the 2005 World Series pretty much means no move that OG or KW should ever be questioned, but be taken as the baseball version of ex cathedra proclamations.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Ditka took the Bears to victory in Super Bowl XX.

Still, he was fired for doing a poor job with the Bears.

Ozzie and KW will always be remembered for 2005. But sports is not a "rest on your laurels" business.

balke
05-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Can we just not talk about them? I watched the game last night. They have their own problems right now, mainly at leadoff.

I don't care about them til we are both in the playoffs. The Sox finally deserve criticism. This is a nasty streak, filled with bad strikeouts and hanging heads and frustration. These guys need to stop hitting the ball hard, and start hitting the ball.

How many years have we suffered with the Crede-ism "He scalded that ball, right to the outfielder". Everyone is starting to do this crap, and its going to make a team of .250 hitters.

SoxGirl4Life
05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
How many years have we suffered with the Crede-ism "He scalded that ball, right to the outfielder". Everyone is starting to do this crap, and its going to make a team of .250 hitters.

A team of .250 hitters would be a hot streak

ondafarm
05-05-2008, 11:06 AM
In 2005, Guillen was exactly what the team needed. Most of the team had come thru the long and gloomy Jerry Manuel era when the players were treated like Cub Scouts and management was entirely predictable. Guillen was a breath of fresh air, unpredictable and his non-focus on training and baseball fundamentals didn't matter because most of the guys had had that beaten into their brain. Now, in his fifth year of virtually ignoring the skills that make solid professional players, everybody is rusty at fundamentals, Guillen is predictable and stale. He regularly gets outmanaged, his favoritism for certain players is counter-productive and his ability to get the most out of his players is entirely gone. Most of the players are grossly underperforming and Guillen is clueless as to how to fix it.

Marqhead
05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
In 2005, Guillen was exactly what the team needed. Most of the team had come thru the long and gloomy Jerry Manuel era when the players were treated like Cub Scouts and management was entirely predictable. Guillen was a breath of fresh air, unpredictable and his non-focus on training and baseball fundamentals didn't matter because most of the guys had had that beaten into their brain. Now, in his fifth year of virtually ignoring the skills that make solid professional players, everybody is rusty at fundamentals, Guillen is predictable and stale. He regularly gets outmanaged, his favoritism for certain players is counter-productive and his ability to get the most out of his players is entirely gone. Most of the players are grossly underperforming and Guillen is clueless as to how to fix it.

I didn't want to believe this at first, because like most other fans I wanted to see the 2005 team, coaches and management stick around forever and I thought they could do no wrong for at least a few years, but after the last few months of watching this team, with each passing game I am starting to believe this is the case.

Dick Allen
05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I agree that everything Ozzie ranted about is the truth, but this fit of anger is misguided

soxinem1
05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Like Gene Honda says: 'Its Time to, Play Ball!'

The us against them argument is irrelevant, Oz!

russ99
05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
It is true that the undeniable media bias toward the Cubs is not relevant to the issue of whether the Sox play fundamentally sound baseball. Having said that, Ozzie is absolutely right. The Cubs and their fans have gotten a virtual free pass as long as I can remember. Take the Bartman escapade -- did the local or national media take on the Cub fans (or Cub friendly media) who incessantly scapegoated that poor guy. Harry Caray's blows up the Bartman ball and the same local and national media essentially wink at the so-called "good natured fun." Yeah, that whole ridiculous episode was real good natured.

And how about Cubs management with their arrogant refusal to fix a pitiful, crumbling ballpark and their bizarre stewardhip of the Cubs since the conclusion of World War II? Hardly a peep from the local press about that. But if the Sox have one losing season from 2000 through 2007, it's bombs away.

The local media coverage of the White Sox is profoundly dysfunctional and I'm glad that someone is calling these journalistic jokes (like the Windsock) out for treating the Sox like the proverbial "red-headed stepchild."

There's definately truth in what he says.

The Cubs lose 2 out of 3 both to fellow NL Central contenders in STL and vs. MIL and no one's calling to fire coaches, change lineups, etc.

I agree that Ozzie shouldn't be complaining about what happens on other teams, but everything the Sox do is so negatively blown out of proportion, while the guys on the other side of town are often given a free pass.

I think this was Ozzie's way to take some of the pressure off the guys and onto his shoulders.

I'll be printing up the "Chicago's Bitch" t-shirts any day now... :tongue:

I also love the Lee Elia comparison. That's so funny. Nice one Ozzie!

Mohoney
05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
his ability to get the most out of his players is entirely gone.

I don't know if I can agree with this right now, given the way the starting staff has performed, especially the guys that were the big question marks (Floyd, Danks, and Contreras). We're definitely getting the most out of them that we can get.

I have to believe that if we get this caliber of pitching all year, we're going to be in the race.

Malgar 12
05-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I agree that everything Ozzie ranted about is the truth, but this fit of anger is misguided

anger or desperation tinged with panic?

ondafarm
05-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't know if I can agree with this right now, given the way the starting staff has performed, especially the guys that were the big question marks (Floyd, Danks, and Contreras). We're definitely getting the most out of them that we can get.

I have to believe that if we get this caliber of pitching all year, we're going to be in the race.

Floyd and Danks should not have been big question marks. They both were drafted very highly and have been considered quality guys since they were signed. That Ozzie couldn't get much out of either one last year and that he let Contreras, facing a hard time in his personal life, fall apart last year, should be considered balck marks against him.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Misguided or not, everything he says is true. And I'm glad Ozzie called them on it. The media bias is so flagrant it's ridiculous and a lot of Rongey's callers make me cringe. I know it's best to ignore the whole Cub thing but it gets pretty damn hard and now we're heading toward the zoo known as the Crosstown Classic.

And yes, we look bad now but automatically figuring it's the return of 2007 is a little premature. Did we really think the Sox were going to sit in 1st from now to the end of September. This is baseball, streaks happen. For now at least I'm gonna keep the faith. And if we do tank, I'll be pissed but's it's baseball, not our families or kids or world peace.

Rocky Soprano
05-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I missed his rant, any links to it?

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2008, 11:52 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/

Hitmen77
05-05-2008, 11:54 AM

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080504-ozzie-guillen-swears-media-chicago,1,2071713.story

I would like to see more fieriness from Ozzie to perhaps light a fire under this team. But, I'd rather have him explode over a blown call than about the Cubs.

I found his rant entertaining to read. What's a Sox season without some vintage profanity-laced tirades by Ozzie? What he says about the Cubs is true IMO. Yes, it has nothing to do with the Sox woes, but I don't see any harm done to the team by him saying what he said.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2008, 12:02 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/931651,CST-SPT-sox05.article

Lip

Mohoney
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Floyd and Danks should not have been big question marks. They both were drafted very highly and have been considered quality guys since they were signed. That Ozzie couldn't get much out of either one last year and that he let Contreras, facing a hard time in his personal life, fall apart last year, should be considered balck marks against him.

I know I'm not supposed to ignore last year's nosedive when evaluating the manager, but all I can go with right now is how these 3 guys are pitching this year, and so far, those black marks from last year seem to be corrected. I'm not going to give Ozzie blame for Contreras last year, as I don't know enough about Contreras' situation (or Ozzie's handling of it) to make a fair judgement.

Plus, I kind of disagree with the line of thinking that Floyd and Danks should not have been question marks. Were they elite prospects? Of course. However, I don't think anybody making decisions about the makeup of a Major League roster can automatically assume that guys like this, with limited ML experience, can contribute right away. With no proven ML track record to incorporate into the decision, they have to be considered question marks until you see on-field success, don't they?

Hitmen77
05-05-2008, 12:32 PM
There's definately truth in what he says.

The Cubs lose 2 out of 3 both to fellow NL Central contenders in STL and vs. MIL and no one's calling to fire coaches, change lineups, etc.

I agree that Ozzie shouldn't be complaining about what happens on other teams, but everything the Sox do is so negatively blown out of proportion, while the guys on the other side of town are often given a free pass.

I think this was Ozzie's way to take some of the pressure off the guys and onto his shoulders.

I'll be printing up the "Chicago's Bitch" t-shirts any day now... :tongue:

I also love the Lee Elia comparison. That's so funny. Nice one Ozzie!

I agree the 2 teams are treated differently by the media for the most part. However, I think there is a big difference between the Cubs dropping 4 of 6 and the Sox recent stumbles. The difference is that the Cubs have a huge margin of error available for their playoff push. They can stumble and play inconsistently for quite a while (most of the season IMO) and I still think they'll coast to a division title. They may not be as good as top teams in other divisions, but seriously I do not see any of the other 5 NL Central teams as legitimate threats to them.

OTOH, the Sox have an uphill battle in their division. It's not time to panic yet and, yes, every team will have their slumps - but it is very troubling to see our current funk and they can't take too long to wait for their bats to "wake up". We have a tough May schedule. Alot of games against some very tough teams and most of the month is a road trip. It may not take long for us to dig ourselves into a hole behind CLE, DET, and even MIN in this division.

...and yeah, those comments about the Elia rant were hilarious. Good for a nice laugh on a Monday morning.

Blueprint1
05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
I think that he does have a point on this one. The two teams are not treated fairly by the media. Its all wonderful story's on the North side and all doom and gloom on the south side. Although, I do think the sox are playing horrible baseball. I even remember the coverage during the 2005 season was all this team can't win it all.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I think that he does have a point on this one. The two teams are not treated fairly by the media. Its all wonderful story's on the North side and all doom and gloom on the south side. Although, I do think the sox are playing horrible baseball. I even remember the coverage during the 2005 season was all this team can't win it all.

Exactly. A Cub fan I work with said "well the Trib gave them good coverage when they won the WS". Like we should be grateful. Don't you think that should be a given?

What bugs me too is there always seems to be a sense of glee from the media when we're doing badly. Sorta off "you won the WS but now you suck, HA, HA".

One idiot Cub fan at work told me "well you won in '05 but you sucked the next year". No, we won 90 games the next year.

russ99
05-05-2008, 12:52 PM
I know I'm not supposed to ignore last year's nosedive when evaluating the manager, but all I can go with right now is how these 3 guys are pitching this year, and so far, those black marks from last year seem to be corrected. I'm not going to give Ozzie blame for Contreras last year, as I don't know enough about Contreras' situation (or Ozzie's handling of it) to make a fair judgement.

Plus, I kind of disagree with the line of thinking that Floyd and Danks should not have been question marks. Were they elite prospects? Of course. However, I don't think anybody making decisions about the makeup of a Major League roster can automatically assume that guys like this, with limited ML experience, can contribute right away. With no proven ML track record to incorporate into the decision, they have to be considered question marks until you see on-field success, don't they?

Despite this year's slump taking place at the exact point in the schedule (at Min, at Tor) as last year's decent into the netherworld, you can't make a direct comparison.

The pitching as a whole is doing very well, despite some slipping by the bullpen. However, the pen is nowhere as bad as last year. Also, despite their bad run lately, our hitters are running into really good pitching which makes the problem worse. Plus, they can't catch any kind of break.

I hope they can get one win tonight in Toronto, which would do wonders for the psyche, then I can see them going on a bit of a roll when the bats (and the weather) warms up a bit.

Not to make this a Cub thread, their pitching (other than Z) looks really shaky, and to count out St. Louis and Milwaukee (and to a lesser extent Houston & Cincy) at this point in the season isn't smart. The Cubs won't have the cakewalk to the division some people expect.

thomas35forever
05-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Ozzie is right in comparing the media coverage the two teams in this town get, but I really don't care what he's saying about the Cubs right now. He should worry more about our guys hitting the ball and scoring some ****ing runs not compliments of the solo homer.

SoxGirl4Life
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Ozzie's rant is front-page news on Fox sports.com and espn.com. :rolleyes:

JB98
05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Like others have said, Ozzie should be concentrating on managing the White Sox. He should ignore the fans and media.

Ozzie played here for 13 years, and he's in his fifth year as manager. He's been in Chicago too long to be stepping in a pile of horse**** like this.

hi im skot
05-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Like others have said, Ozzie should be concentrating on managing the White Sox. He should ignore the fans and media.

Ozzie played here for 13 years, and he's in his fifth year as manager. He's been in Chicago too long to be stepping in a pile of horse**** like this.

I don't disagree with you, but I love a good Ozzie rant now and then. :D:

kobo
05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't disagree with you, but I love a good Ozzie rant now and then. :D:
I love a good Ozzie rant as well, but what's the purpose in this rant? Is this supposed to fire the team up by going off on the media? Does he think things are going to change in regards to how the Sox are treated in the media, or that the media is suddenly going to turn the tables on the Cubs? It just seems silly to me.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2008, 01:51 PM
King:

Very well thought out post.

Kudos.

Lip

ND_Sox_Fan
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Ozzie's rant, whether the topic was on point or not, was designed to do one thing - distract attention from his team's poor play, and he succeeded. He wants to get the media and his players' minds off of the game and struggles. While we can debate the subject matter, his rant was a great success in what it was designed to do. He has moved the headlines from his players to himself.

On the subject matter, I think the media's coverage is different for a couple reasons (in addition to the other obvious ones):

1) As previously mentioned, the margin for error is totally different. The Sox needed to capitalize on this opportunity and build a nice lead in the division while Cleveland and Detroit struggled, and they did not.

2) Fans' expectations, knowledge base of the fans, and personality of the fans.

It's Time
05-05-2008, 02:09 PM
IIRC, The Cubs were ripped in 2004 or 2005 for concentrating more on the media (Stone, Caray) then they were playing ball.

Ozzie's rant is misguided and completely ridiculous. You're team is playing like ****, Ozzie.

Why would you want the media to sugarcoat it?

erob3833
05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
ozzie just needs to shut up and manage the damn team.

Carolina Kenny
05-05-2008, 02:29 PM

As someone who constantly over rates our players on "the" farm, I am not surprised at your remarks. Not all "quality" guys make it. Ask the Indians who just sent (can't miss) Marte down.

oeo
05-05-2008, 02:44 PM

Why are we telling him what to do in his spare time?

Ozzie said what he said because he cares about the White Sox. He bleeds silver and black just like every last one of us. No one will ever match his enthusiasm of White Sox baseball in a managing position, no one. So we want to cut him loose, bring in some new guy for a few years, and then move onto another manager? Or do we want some consistency? I've already seen the Terry Bevingtons and Jerry Manuels of the world...I'll pass.

The last year and half isn't on Ozzie. He's still the right man for the job.

AngryCollins
05-05-2008, 02:59 PM
...and print it!

KingXerxes
05-05-2008, 03:04 PM
King:

Very well thought out post.

Kudos.

Lip

Thanks Lip.

Foulke You
05-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Ozzie's rant, whether the topic was on point or not, was designed to do one thing - distract attention from his team's poor play, and he succeeded. He wants to get the media and his players' minds off of the game and struggles. While we can debate the subject matter, his rant was a great success in what it was designed to do. He has moved the headlines from his players to himself.
You beat me to it ND_Sox_Fan. I believe there is a method to Ozzie's madness. I truly believe this is a calculated "rant" from Ozzie to get the media off of his players. The articles stop being critical of his players lack of offense and start to focus on "Ozzie Boils Over" or "Ozzie Explodes" etc.

LoveYourSuit
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Ozzie's rant, whether the topic was on point or not, was designed to do one thing - distract attention from his team's poor play, and he succeeded.....

Only time will tell. But as the arguement is made that this team is full of veterans and they already know their jobs (reasons not to fire Walker), the same can be said that these big boys can handle the heat and face the music.

BadBobbyJenks
05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Is there video of this or just the quotes?

JB98
05-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Why are we telling him what to do in his spare time?

Ozzie said what he said because he cares about the White Sox. He bleeds silver and black just like every last one of us. No one will ever match his enthusiasm of White Sox baseball in a managing position, no one. So we want to cut him loose, bring in some new guy for a few years, and then move onto another manager? Or do we want some consistency? I've already seen the Terry Bevingtons and Jerry Manuels of the world...I'll pass.

The last year and half isn't on Ozzie. He's still the right man for the job.

????????

You're making it sound like I called upon the Sox to fire Ozzie.

Tragg
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM

Exactly.
This is a tired tactic.
Even moreso when he complains about the immaturity of young players, then acts, yet again, like this.

JDub35
05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Sums up how I feel about Ozzie's rant as well as the team's performance as of late.....

http://photos-445.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v111/140/56/14800445/n14800445_35884194_2214.jpg

Red Barchetta
05-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Since the Cubs market losing baseball, is it any wonder that they would actually pick up market share after the SOX won the WS?!

Especially since we are now in the Centennial Season of Futility for the cubbies, there is even more media attention.

If the SOX and Ozzie would focus on improving their offense and not what's happening on Clark and Addison, they might obtain more media attention. If this lineup would hit like this lineup should, we could be 5 games up. (However I guess Detroit could say the same thing).

Huisj
05-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I think part of the point in the rant that Guillen maybe was trying to make was that a week ago, the Sox were in first, and people were happy and positive stories were being written about them--some people were even playing the 'told you they'd be better' game a bit. Then they have a week where they can't hit worth a crap, so they lose games, and everyone went in a major panic and says everyone sucks and is doomed. The swing from being great to being total scum happened in record time, but when other teams slump, it's just a slump.

SoxGirl4Life
05-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I think part of the point in the rant that Guillen maybe was trying to make was that a week ago, the Sox were in first, and people were happy and positive stories were being written about them--some people were even playing the 'told you they'd be better' game a bit. Then they have a week where they can't hit worth a crap, so they lose games, and everyone went in a major panic and says everyone sucks and is doomed. The swing from being great to being total scum happened in record time, but when other teams slump, it's just a slump.

I agree. Its like the Sox couldn't even lose one game (see various WSI post game threads), without people saying "That's it! This team is just like last year!" So, maybe this is just a slump. But the Sox don't get the benefit of the doubt.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else. And I'm not being a blind optimist, but I won't sit here and whine the whole season.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-06-2008, 05:55 PM

Unfortunately, I have come to essentially the same conclusion. But it's not just Guillen. Kenny Williams has also fallen into predictable habits. In my opinion, he made some good moves and some lucky moves which enabled the Sox to win in 2005. He knew that he had a low payroll, so he focused on getting pitchers that were good but relatively cheap, and then built an offense that wouldn't hammer the ball as in previous years but could consistently produce enough runs. He got lucky with several pitchers and position players having career years. Since then, he has fancied himself a master of the "bargain bin", and has tried to pull off "under the radar" deals for veterans that he expects to make comebacks. In response to criticism about anything he has done, he becomes defensive and refers to 2005, as if to prove his own genius.

As ondafarm said, I think Ozzie and Kenny were just right for the Sox in 2005. They made the right moves at the right times, and combined with a large dose of good luck and perfect timing were able to win it all. Now it seems that year's success has gone to their heads, and they are unwilling to accept responsibility for the team's current misfortunes.