PDA

View Full Version : May 4th and Ranger has already started insulting callers

regionsox73
05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Usually he is more thick skinned until June. His argument about the hitting coach not being able to teach a professional got me. Then why pay the guy?

Daver
05-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Usually he is more thick skinned until June. His argument about the hitting coach not being able to teach a professional got me. Then why pay the guy?

Somebody has to wake Harold Baines up every inning to trot out to first.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I heard the show, and don't agree that Rongey insulted the caller. He strongly disagreed with his views, which is not the same thing. At all.

skobabe8
05-04-2008, 11:49 PM

Were you the caller?

jabrch
05-04-2008, 11:57 PM

His callers suck worse than many of our posters - I don't know why the guy even answers the phone anymore. A hitting coach is there to work with players, not to change them. It is up to a player to change if he needs to. A hitting coach is part psychologist, part father figure and part fundamentals analyst. If he gives advice to a hitter, that's all he can do. A hitter's failure to improve is not the coaches failure.

Coaches are overrated in terms of their impact both when teams succeeed and when they fail.

kaufsox
05-05-2008, 12:46 AM
His callers suck worse than many of our posters - I don't know why the guy even answers the phone anymore. A hitting coach is there to work with players, not to change them. It is up to a player to change if he needs to. A hitting coach is part psychologist, part father figure and part fundamentals analyst. If he gives advice to a hitter, that's all he can do. A hitter's failure to improve is not the coaches failure.

Coaches are overrated in terms of their impact both when teams succeeed and when they fail.

I partially agree with you, in that I think the contribution (and blame) of coaches and managers in professional sports are not nearly as significant as fans and the media make them out to be. I disagree however, in that at some point, if you are the hitting coach and the players are not hitting then some of the failure has to be yours. Maybe said coach is no longer getting through with his advice, maybe his role as father figure has run its course, maybe he has become too close to the players, become more of a friend than a coach. If that is the case, then the coach, not necessarily by any great fault of his own, has outlived his usefulness to a particular team. I don't know if that is the case with Greg Walker, but it seems like on some level, in some way, he is at the very least, partially responsible for the hitting woes that are currently plaguing this team.

SoxGirl4Life
05-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Some of the post-game callers give Sox fans a bad name.

btrain929
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Absolutely. The other day, a caller was soooooooo angry, screaming at Rongey:

caller: "Why is Uribe at 2b? He sucks at the plate night in and night out! Why the hell won't Ozzie put Richar (mispronouncing his name, mind you) in?? He did really well last year???!!!!"

Rongey: "Uhhhmmm, Richar is injured, and will be out for at least another month, if not longer...."

caller: "Oh, well, WELL THERE'S GOTTA BE SOMEONE ELSE TO PUT THERE!!!"

Rongey: "No, there really isn't."

:rolleyes:

soxinem1
05-05-2008, 11:22 AM

Some of these calls he has to field are worse than cub fans. Especially the second guessers. Those are the worst.

Especially the 'Why did you have so-and-so bunt when Dye was up next. The bunt led to a double play, and the next time up, Dye homers, so we could have scored two runs instead of one'-kind of calls just totally blow, and except for the spammers, are much worse than any stuff written around here.

skottyj242
05-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Rowand is better than Ichiro.

sullythered
05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
The Sox post-game callers make my face red with embarrassment every time I listen to them. Ranger has a lot to deal with.

Dan Mega
05-05-2008, 12:01 PM
The Sox post-game callers make my face red with embarrassment every time I listen to them. Ranger has a lot to deal with.

I'm not sure how he keeps his sanity. I like how he handles both the people with crazy "everyone sucks" rants and the "Sox management can never do wrong omg 2005!!!1" crowd.

Procol Harum
05-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I never cease to marvel at the ease with which so many idiots pick up the phone and call up radio sports talk shows to bless the wide world with their "insights" into strategy, technique, personnel, motivation and so forth. I pity Rongey for having to put up with the same sort of goofiness day after day. Then again, I wish the Sox would play better and then those calls that drive him to frustration would stop. Then probably the worst he would have to put up with are kool-aid drinking nincompoops comparing the current squad to the '27 Yankees.....

cheezheadsoxfan
05-05-2008, 12:17 PM
comparing the current squad to the '27 Yankees.....

:screwloose:

thomas35forever
05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
There was a caller after the last Yankees game complaining about how the Sox are cheap seeing as a bunch of our guys are FAs after next year. Rongey got pissed at him and hung up and pointed out the recent money the Sox have spent on contracts. I'd never heard Rongey that miffed about a caller before.

SoxGirl4Life
05-05-2008, 01:16 PM
There was a caller after the last Yankees game complaining about how the Sox are cheap seeing as a bunch of our guys are FAs after next year. Rongey got pissed at him and hung up and pointed out the recent money the Sox have spent on contracts. I'd never heard Rongey that miffed about a caller before.

I heard this one. I think he (Rongey) actually called out Mariotti as the perpetrator of that "Sox are cheap" refrain.

Ranger did an admirable job last year. But there is a certain level of stupidity that would drive even the most patient person over the edge.

Viva Medias B's
05-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Toward the end of yesterday's show, Rongey threatened to leave the postgame show and start drinking Jim Beam.

SoxGirl4Life
05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Toward the end of yesterday's show, Rongey threatened to leave the postgame show and start drinking Jim Beam.

I'm surpised he doesn't drink during the post-game show anyway.

Lip Man 1
05-05-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm surprised he hasn't started drinking in the studio while watching the game!

Lip

PatK
05-05-2008, 02:08 PM

I quit listening to the post game because of the callers.

Most of them live up to the unfortunate stereotype of White Sox fans.

Do yourself a favor, if you've been drinking, are an angry, emotional person, and sound like you could be one of the Superfans from SNL, DON'T CALL THE SHOW!!

erob3833
05-05-2008, 02:25 PM
how do you not know that richar is going to be out for awhile. outside of uribes awful hitting, hes done well at second base. he makes up for the arm of oc when turning double plays.

skobabe8
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM

I heard that too. That was radio gold.

turners56
05-05-2008, 04:06 PM
If I were Chris, I'd be frustrated enough because of this team's suckiness, I don't need stupid idiots calling me about bad solutions to big issues, Rongey has every reason to call certain callers idiots (because they are). I mean come on, who the hell cares if Herald Baines yells or not?

SoxGirl4Life
05-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Can we merge all the Rongey threads together?

ws05champs
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I admire Rongey's restraint. If it were me dealing with such idiot callers I think my head would explode.
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/exploding-head.jpg

TornLabrum
05-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I never cease to marvel at the ease with which so many idiots pick up the phone and call up radio sports talk shows to bless the wide world with their "insights" into strategy, technique, personnel, motivation and so forth. I pity Rongey for having to put up with the same sort of goofiness day after day. Then again, I wish the Sox would play better and then those calls that drive him to frustration would stop. Then probably the worst he would have to put up with are kool-aid drinking nincompoops comparing the current squad to the '27 Yankees.....

Rongey must have a pretty good idea of what it's like to be a mod here.

KingXerxes
05-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Rongey must have a pretty good idea of what it's like to be a mod here.

Funny.

Lefty34
05-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I quit listening to the post game because of the callers.

Most of them live up to the unfortunate stereotype of White Sox fans.

Do yourself a favor, if you've been drinking, are an angry, emotional person, and sound like you could be one of the Superfans from SNL, DON'T CALL THE SHOW!!

Does anyone here think that the WSCR producers are told to look (listen, I guess is the correct term) for drunken idiot Sox fans calling in? It seems logical to me seeing as how controversy probably brings in the best ratings (does it?). Though to sacrifice The Ranger's sanity like that just to get some moronic Keystone-Light-Loving Sox Fan on the air seems like a tad too much for me. Or is it just coincidence that Rongey always happens to hit the button for the drunkest, most idiotic fan in the phone cue. I'm sure there are tuns of fans like all of us here that have genuine baseball input (not just "I LOVE 2005!!!1") but they will rarely see airtime because its better to have Ranger arguing with someone.

soxinem1
05-07-2008, 08:18 AM
The calls I get the biggest kick out of, and they probably piss Rongey off the most, is the 'I used to pitch in High School and Jenks needs to bend and follow through'-kind of analysis.

Or the 'I coached Little League Baseball for six years and Uribe needs to keep his head on the ball' kind of crap.

Now we often have opinions and that s fine, but don't try to qualify it with some bogus credential.

If these callers were giving medical advice and were not doctors, they would be sued for practicing without a license.

No wonder Dave Wills left for TB.

turners56
05-07-2008, 08:19 AM
I loved the first one last night, the idiot was talking about keeping Floyd in after he gave up the first hit, simply because the crowd wanted to. How idiotic is that? Rongey just hung up on him, that's classic radio.