PDA

View Full Version : We miss a leadoff hitter, but we also miss Iguchi

regionsox73
05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Iguchi was kind of an unsung hero. He could actually get a bunt down, hit behind the runner, and have occasional power. Solid D. I miss him.

fquaye149
05-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Sure. Iguchi was a fine player. Definitely a better hitter than Uribe. Probably not what this team is missing though. :shrug:

JB98
05-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Iguchi was kind of an unsung hero. He could actually get a bunt down, hit behind the runner, and have occasional power. Solid D. I miss him.

You miss the 2005 Iguchi. He sucked as much as anyone last year before he was traded.

TitoMB345
05-04-2008, 03:20 PM
This team is missing a lot more than Iguchi, like a new hitting coach, and a new GM!

kitekrazy
05-04-2008, 04:08 PM
You miss the 2005 Iguchi. He sucked as much as anyone last year before he was traded.

He forgot how to bunt as well. He got the station to station virus just like everyone else.

bigfoot
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
He forgot how to bunt as well. He got the station to station virus just like everyone else.

Seemed like he got much better(running) after getting to Philly and was thrust into Utley's spot, temporarily.

sox1970
05-04-2008, 08:59 PM
2005!!!!1!!

Huisj
05-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I think the biggest thing the sox are missing this year is a lineup that can actually the ball. Same thing they were missing last year. One look at the batting averages in the starting lineup is all one needs to see to figure out what's wrong with this team. There are only 3 regulars over .250, and two of those have been slipping way down from much higher averages after the first couple of weeks.

FedEx227
05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
This team misses really good ball players and good coaching. We had a lot of great pieces in 2005, guys that did exactly what they were suppose to do and weren't exclusively reliant on this apparent home run or nothing scenerio.

As people have eluded to in other threads Carl Everett was a man with 2 strikes on him that basically threw up his arms and said "**** it, I'm just going to try and make contact." Now, of course I'm not saying that Everett was a great ball-player or better than Jim Thome or any of that garbage, but it's a mentality of how you approach the plate.

We have Swisher who is doing a leadoff mans job, taking pitches, seeing a ton of pitches and getting on base when the situation is necessary. However, the guys below him are not quite performing as well. OC has been downright awful, batting average wise, OBP wise, SLG wise...everything... just bad.

It's been our approach these past couple of weeks, it's looked awful, guys are swinging at the first pitch, not really changing up depending on the pitcher. I can't stand to see nobody, soft tossing lefties make up look pathetic... I'm fine some early struggles, but this team DOESN'T ADJUST, and we haven't adjusted to a pitcher since mid way through 2006, it's pretty much a "Give us what we're looking for" aka middle fastball, and you just can't do that.

All the talent is there, all of it is there, Jim Thome is better than Carl Everett, but is he baseball-smarter than Everett? Can he adjust like Everett could? No, not at all. Paul Konerko is just as guilty, he DOESN'T adjust, if a guy has something he's not particular fond of, he doesn't change his approach... Crede is also guilty.

ondafarm
05-04-2008, 09:19 PM
This team is missing a lot more than Iguchi, like a new hitting coach, and a new GM!

:welcome:

TheVulture
05-04-2008, 10:15 PM
As much as Pods, Erstad, Uribe, Owens, Cintron, Terrero, Richar, Hall...? I don't think so.

Even in a poor season at the plate, at least Iguchi still could put up a decent OBP, put the ball in play, run the bases well and provide strong defense.

TheVulture
05-04-2008, 10:19 PM
T
No, not at all. Paul Konerko is just as guilty, he DOESN'T adjust, if a guy has something he's not particular fond of, he doesn't change his approach...

The frustrating thing is, there was a time when that was the reason why Paulie was such a great hitter. Two strikes, and he'd magically turn into a slap hitter.

TheVulture
05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I think this team is missing eight Iguchi's and a Pujols in the 3 spot.

TornLabrum
05-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I think the biggest thing the sox are missing this year is a lineup that can actually the ball.

I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it is perfect. Just like the Sox. No hit.

skobabe8
05-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I always thought Iguchi was an unsung hero kind of guy. Really good #2 hitter willing to do what it takes to get a guy over. I would definately feel better right now with TI in the 2 hole and OC near the bottom of the order. Plus no Uribe.

jabrch
05-04-2008, 11:08 PM

I wish this was a station to station team. It isn't. Every hitter in the top half seems to want to walk or hit a HR. It would be nice to see a few guys string together base hits to move runners "station to station".

jabrch
05-04-2008, 11:10 PM

Cuz that would fix everything...the reason 1-5 are all hitting well below their career averages is that Walker and Williams aren't doing their jobs...

It is simply assinine to blame a coach and a GM and not the players themselves.

FedEx227
05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I wish this was a station to station team. It isn't. Every hitter in the top half seems to want to walk or hit a HR. It would be nice to see a few guys string together base hits to move runners "station to station".

Yeah station to station would be great... I have no problem with the walks, but how about a Swisher walk, OC single, Paulie double?! Swisher walk, OC groundout, Paulie single, Thome single (probably scoring Swisher)... is that much to ask of a professional baseball team?

Huisj
05-05-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it is perfect. Just like the Sox. No hit.

ha, good catch--an unintentional goof that conveyed the message better than if I'd written it correctly.

turners56
05-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Oh please, Kenny did what he had to do this off-season. Would you rather watch Triple A players suck right now or 10 year veterans suck right now? Kenny set his mind on winning this year, rebuilding simply doesn't work in Kenny's mind, and I like that. I mean come on, do we really want to see a AAA team being trotted out there in May? If you trade Thome, Konerko, and Dye, this team has 0 power, unless you're the Minnesota Twins, you can't live that way. Plus, who are you going to get for a 36 year old Thome and a 34 year old Dye? Kenny's proven us wrong already by trusting Floyd, Crede, Danks, and Contreras. And here we're pissed off at him just because the team can't hit right now? Did I also forget Carlos Quentin is the best hitter on this team right now? Who acquired him? Oh yea, Kenny Williams. I can understand getting rid of Walker, but blaming Kenny for this slump is just stupid. This team was scoring runs earlier this season, isn't that enough proof that they CAN score? They might not be able to right now, because teams slump. GMs can't control that. It's not Kenny's fault, at least, not yet.

Tragg
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Bunting isn't what this team lacks. Bunting is giving an out, something this team makes plenty of without doing it intentioonally.

The problem is no one on base when homers are hit.

Whether or not Iguchi was up to 2005 standards (he wasn't), he wasn't batting .176 either. Williams needs to take the draft choices for Cabrera - or that trade will go down as one of his worst (especially as it turned out -no Uribe upgrade, essentially Ibuchi and Garland for Cabrera and an organizationoal minor leaguer).
Uribe at 2nd is absolutely ridiculous and unncessary. Cabrera has been an offensive basket case (.298 obp; .569 ops) - he bats ozzie-style, so he's the new leadoff hitter. Nice.

GlassSox
05-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I always thought Iguchi was an unsung hero kind of guy. Really good #2 hitter willing to do what it takes to get a guy over. I would definately feel better right now with TI in the 2 hole and OC near the bottom of the order. Plus no Uribe.

Iguchi yes and Uribe no, I'll go along with that.

ondafarm
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I understand they don't call him "Gooch" in San Diego.

russ99
05-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Iguchi was pretty good, but Richar has the potential to be better both in the field and at the plate. His injury is the only thing keeping Uribe and/or Ramirez here now.

btrain929
05-06-2008, 11:23 AM

He did decent in '05 when nobody knew him, then numbers kept going down and down until he finally left.

Wait, why the **** are we talking about Tadahito Iguchi??????

MushMouth
05-06-2008, 11:34 AM
We definitely miss the Iguchi approach to the plate. No matter what, he THOUGHT about his ab's and was a professional hitter in the team sense. He knew when to go oppo, knew how to lay down a bunt, would actually change his approach depending on the situation, something NOBODY on this team does this year.

NADA SURF
05-12-2008, 02:22 PM
The frustrating thing is, there was a time when that was the reason why Paulie was such a great hitter. Two strikes, and he'd magically turn into a slap hitter.Agreed. Paulie was a great hitter when he'd go the other way. Several of these guys don't go the other way.

NADA SURF
05-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I always thought Iguchi was an unsung hero kind of guy. Really good #2 hitter willing to do what it takes to get a guy over. I would definately feel better right now with TI in the 2 hole and OC near the bottom of the order. Plus no Uribe.Why is Uribe still here, anyway? Any report on Richar?