PDA

View Full Version : Matt Guerrier

Kid Kip
05-01-2002, 06:15 PM
Has anyone noticed that Guerrier is 0-4 for Pittsburg's AAA team, Nashville? I don't want to see the kid fail, but maybe last year was more of a fluke and KW wanted to capitalize off it? Maybe I'm just giving Kenny too much credit...

RedPinStripes
05-01-2002, 06:17 PM
what's his era and Innings pitched? That will tell you what he's really doing

Kid Kip
05-01-2002, 06:23 PM
Record: 0-4
ERA: 6.08
Games: 5, all starts
IP: 23.2
H: 25
BB: 7
K: 21
Opponents' BA: .260

RedPinStripes
05-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Kid Kip
Record: 0-4
ERA: 6.08
Games: 5, all starts
IP: 23.2
H: 25
BB: 7
K: 21
Opponents' BA: .260

Not so good. lol

hold2dibber
05-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Not so bad either (other than the ERA and W/L). His K/BB ratio is very good as is his WHIP. Sounds to me like he's just giving up untimely hits or too many HRs. Too early to tell anything. And no matter how he turns out, I still think the Sox could have gotten more for him, or gotten Marte for less.

34 Inch Stick
05-02-2002, 11:44 AM
By all accounts Marte was going to be cut. We could have had him for nothing.

doctor30th
05-02-2002, 11:45 AM
Well it wouldn't have been guaranteed. When a player is on waivers he can go to any team. there are alot of team that wanted him I'm sure.

DrCrawdad
05-02-2002, 12:21 PM
And Cy Fogg got clobbered last night.

I'm not sure what to make of the Pirate's GM making this statement about how Marte would have been released. If that's true, then the Pirate GM sure went out of his way to make Kenny look bad. This is Kenny, a GM that I'd expect the Pirate GM would want to do further deals with. Why would he burn a bridge with the Sox?

Could it be that the Pirate GM was just trying to inflate his own prowess with Pirate fans?

Left-handers have value, even ones who suck. For example, Embree and Pulshipher, Jesus Pena and Scott Eyre still have jobs.

Marte had a degree of success in MLB. If Marte had been released he would have been snapped up without a doubt. Clubs get picks on the waivers based on where they placed. Since the Sox finished 3rd, I can't imagine that Marte would have still been around for the Sox - if Marte was released.

Also, look at the situation with the Cubs and their left-handers. I bet the Cub would love to have Marte.

IF the Pirate GM had given Marte a straight release then he'd be plain stupid.

I wish the Sox got Marte for a lesser prospect, but that probably wasn't an option.

- DrCrawdad

voodoochile
05-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I'm not sure what to make of the Pirate's GM making this statement about how Marte would have been released. If that's true, then the Pirate GM sure went out of his way to make Kenny look bad. This is Kenny, a GM that I'd expect the Pirate GM would want to do further deals with. Why would he burn a bridge with the Sox?

Could it be that the Pirate GM was just trying to inflate his own prowess with Pirate fans?

Left-handers have value, even ones who suck. For example, Embree and Pulshipher, Jesus Pena and Scott Eyre still have jobs.

Marte had a degree of success in MLB. If Marte had been released he would have been snapped up without a doubt. Clubs get picks on the waivers based on where they placed. Since the Sox finished 3rd, I can't imagine that Marte would have still been around for the Sox - if Marte was released.

Also, look at the situation with the Cubs and their left-handers. I bet the Cub would love to have Marte.

IF the Pirate GM had given Marte a straight release then he'd be plain stupid.

I wish the Sox got Marte for a lesser prospect, but that probably wasn't an option.

- DrCrawdad

Of course we were going to release Lowe, so the knife cuts both ways... I agree with you though, I can't picture the Pirates flat releasing Marte. Maybe it is a way of saving face since Matt is off to such a questionable start in AAA and Marte has looked okay for the Sox after a couple of shaky outings early on...

Lefty relievers are a premium commodity... just ask Alan Embree...

DrCrawdad
05-02-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Lefty relievers are a premium commodity... just ask Alan Embree...

If my wife and I ever have a son, I'm gonna tie his right hand behind his back and start working on his throwing at birth. Then I won't have to worry about Social Security.

- DrCrawdad.

Huisj
05-02-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

- DrCrawdad

Well, it wasn't a clobbering-- 6 innings, 9 hits, 4 runs. And it was in Coors Field, so that really isn't terrible.

DrCrawdad
05-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

Well, it wasn't a clobbering-- 6 innings, 9 hits, 4 runs. And it was in Coors Field, so that really isn't terrible.

You're right. I overstated the loss.

- DrCrawdad.