PDA

View Full Version : Would You Have Kept Pods?

MCHSoxFan
05-03-2008, 08:16 PM
If you knew he would stay healthy ALL season long? Hell, I would have. If you say yes, would you have gotten Swisher OR CQ if you could only pick one. That part is sooo tough. I like how both have been playing so far. Both contributing in their owns ways. I like CQ's power and Swisher's ability to get on-base and his attitude. I guess wither would work.

So, what do you say?!?!

Lip Man 1
05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
You can't base a judgment on an "if."

The fact is that for whatever reason or reasons, Scott could not stay healthy. Now this wouldn't have been as big an issue say with some past Sox teams, who had three, four, five guys (like in the 1950's) who could get on base, run, steal bases and drive the opposition to commit error after error after error.

But with Scott being the only guy who could run it was a major issue and it had to be changed over.

Now the fact that Swisher is trying to be a lead off guy or Owens might be called up still doesn't change the fact that the Sox have an almost total lack of team speed and an inability to execute fundamental baseball.

That's a problem that's much bigger then Scott Podsednik.

Lip

doublem23
05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
No.

JB98
05-03-2008, 08:23 PM
No, I have no use for guys who can't stay healthy.

Chicken Dinner
05-03-2008, 08:24 PM
He was very scary as a left fielder. I still think he needs glasses. We seem to be so focused on offense now but defensively this team is strong. I still believe the offense will come around.

MCHSoxFan
05-03-2008, 08:36 PM
He was very scary as a left fielder. I still think he needs glasses. We seem to be so focused on offense now but defensively this team is strong. I still believe the offense will come around.

True about the D of Pods. I truly HOPE and truly BELIEVE our Offense WILL come around...SOON!

Brian26
05-03-2008, 08:40 PM
If you knew he would stay healthy ALL season long?

Isn't this a completey moot point since the reason we got rid of him was because there was no guarantee he would stay healthy?

If anyone knew he would stay healthy, the Sox probably would have kept him since he's generally put up good numbers when not nursing an injury.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 08:50 PM
We should have kept Lee, both Carlos and Man Soo.

Frontman
05-03-2008, 08:53 PM

And Rowand, Garcia, and McCarthy.

Oh, wait, none of them are actively playing right now, with two on the DL; the other not even in the league anymore........

Brian26
05-03-2008, 08:54 PM

And Carlos Lee's brother...Carlos Lee.

Jjav829
05-03-2008, 08:54 PM
No. We replaced him with a better player.

Jjav829
05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
And Rowand, Garcia, and McCarthy.

Oh, wait, none of them are actively playing right now, with two on the DL; the other not even in the league anymore........

FYI, Rowand is playing. He returned to Philly yesterday and hit a home run in the 10th.

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2008, 09:07 PM
If Pods could stay healthy all season long and get on base like he did in '05 I would have kept him, but he hasn't shown me anything to suggest that he can in fact stay healthy (even in '05 he got hurt), so I don't blame Kenny for letting him go. But assuming I had some sort of crystal ball that could tell me in advance who would stay healthy and who would be productive, who wouldn't be, I'd have kept the allegedly healthy and productive Pods along with Quentin...although in that case I'm not sure who I would have play CF...hmmm. Oh well, it's hypothetical anyways. As Lip pointed out the lack of team speed goes way beyond the fact we let Pods go.

Blueprint1
05-03-2008, 09:13 PM
It was time to move on from Pods. If i knew I would win the Lottery I would buy a ticket. I thought you might also want to know that.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-03-2008, 09:16 PM
No. Have you seen Quentin's arm?

areilly
05-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm still angry about the Sox letting Geoff Blum go. The guy hit a home run in the World Series. No respect.

If Pods could stay healthy, sure, keep him. But he can't. So they didn't. Wise move. End of discussion.

hi im skot
05-03-2008, 11:24 PM
**** no.

fquaye149
05-04-2008, 12:09 AM

Hangar is that you?

thomas35forever
05-04-2008, 12:20 AM
No. He couldn't stay healthy, so keeping him at leadoff was pointless. Besides, Quentin is a better LF.

chisoxmike
05-04-2008, 12:23 AM
No.

TheVulture
05-05-2008, 12:13 AM
No, I have no use for guys who can't stay healthy...
...play defense, hit...

NADA SURF
05-12-2008, 03:36 PM
I would have kept him as a fourth or fifth OF...
I didn't see why they wanted to move him since he wasn't making all that much money.
They wouldn't have had to play him everyday and could have waited until he was healthy and a danger on the basepaths again.
I would have never kept him around as the starting LF, though.

Mr.1Dog
05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Nope.

hi im skot
05-12-2008, 03:58 PM
I would have kept him as a fourth or fifth OF...
I didn't see why they wanted to move him since he wasn't making all that much money.
They wouldn't have had to play him everyday and could have waited until he was healthy and a danger on the basepaths again.
I would have never kept him around as the starting LF, though.

As someone who isn't exactly a FOBA, seriously...why the heck would you want Podsednik as the back-up OF when we have Anderson? We don't need Podsednik taking up another roster spot when we've got BA (as well as Owens) for back-up duties.

Thanks for 2005, Pods...but I don't need to see you in the Sox line-up ever again.

Boondock Saint
05-12-2008, 07:29 PM
As someone who isn't exactly a FOBA, seriously...why the heck would you want Podsednik as the back-up OF when we have Anderson? We don't need Podsednik taking up another roster spot when we've got BA (as well as Owens) for back-up duties.

Thanks for 2005, Pods...but I don't need to see you in the Sox line-up ever again.

If there was a scenario that would allow us to have the starting outfield we have now with BA and Pods on the bench minus Owens, sure. But there's no chance in hell I have him starting ahead of Swish or TCQ.

chaerulez
05-13-2008, 01:38 AM
Pods only above average baseball talent was his speed. He did some stuff to help the team win a World Series in 2005, but lets face it he's a player that can be easily replaced.

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2008, 01:46 AM
Pods only above average baseball talent was his speed. He did some stuff to help the team win a World Series in 2005, but lets face it he's a player that can be easily replaced.
I agree that he's not a GREAT player or anything, but we haven't really had a great time with leadoff guys since he's been out (either through injury or otherwise).

Heffalump
05-14-2008, 01:26 PM
If you knew he would stay healthy ALL season long? Hell, I would have. If you say yes, would you have gotten Swisher OR CQ if you could only pick one. That part is sooo tough. I like how both have been playing so far. Both contributing in their owns ways. I like CQ's power and Swisher's ability to get on-base and his attitude. I guess wither would work.

So, what do you say?!?!

TCQ has been a steal by KW so far! On the other hand, Swisher has been extremely dissappointing. Hopefully, he can turn it around.

As for Pods, I miss him a bit. But we have our own Pods in AAA right now. I am not a huge Jerry Owens fan, but I think they need to give him a chance. Both Swisher and Cabrera have failed in the leadoff role so far this year.

jenn2080
05-14-2008, 01:27 PM
No. Absolutely not.

Sad
05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
nope

couldn't stay healthy and you can't steal first...

Domeshot17
05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
At 3 mil no

At the minor league incentive laden deal he has in Colorado, absolutely.

His defense was suspect, but offensively when he is on he was one of the best leadoff men in the game.

However I would have done things differently in general.

WhiteSox5187
05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
At 3 mil no

At the minor league incentive laden deal he has in Colorado, absolutely.

His defense was suspect, but offensively when he is on he was one of the best leadoff men in the game.

However I would have done things differently in general.
When he was healthy, yes, he was one of the best leadoff guys around. Worked the count, got on base a lot (at like a .350 clip) and kept pitchers on edge with his speed. The problem was he was rarely healthy.

NADA SURF
05-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks for 2005, Pods...but I don't need to see you in the Sox line-up ever again.What the heck is a FOBA?
Had Pods been in the lineup this year they'd have won a few more games...
I don't see Owens up here. I'd have never kept Dye.

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2008, 01:01 AM
What the heck is a FOBA?
Had Pods been in the lineup this year they'd have won a few more games...
I don't see Owens up here. I'd have never kept Dye.
Friend of Brian Anderson I believe...as for Dye, he's the best hitter in the middle of our line up right now. Problem is he can't play right field anymore. Hopefully Thome calls it quits after this year and Dye can become our DH.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Friend of Brian Anderson I believe...as for Dye, he's the best hitter in the middle of our line up right now. Problem is he can't play right field anymore. Hopefully Thome calls it quits after this year and Dye can become our DH.Actually, I AM a FOBA and hope to see him in CF soon and stay there...
Saying that Dye is the best hitter in the middle of our lineup now is like designating someone to be the third-tallest guy in Japan.

Craig Grebeck
05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Actually, I AM a FOBA and hope to see him in CF soon and stay there...
Saying that Dye is the best hitter in the middle of our lineup now is like designating someone to be the third-tallest guy in Japan.
Double-whammy! Racist and incorrect. Dye has an OPS+ of 131. He's more than adequate.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Double-whammy! Racist and incorrect. Dye has an OPS+ of 131. He's more than adequate.
you're assuming that being tall is something great. I'm not tall and don't wanna be...
Dye is a bit better than he was last year when he totally sucked. He'll be back at totally sucking in a few weeks....
Whatever stat you just threw out there means nothing to me.

Craig Grebeck
05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
you're assuming that being tall is something great. I'm not tall and don't wanna be...
Dye is a bit better than he was last year when he totally sucked. He'll be back at totally sucking in a few weeks....
Whatever stat you just threw out there means nothing to me.
He sucked in the first half, admittedly. The second half he was amazing.

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2008, 10:14 PM
He sucked in the first half, admittedly. The second half he was amazing.
I agree...Dye can still hit...fielding is a bit of an adventure for him though.

NADA SURF
05-15-2008, 11:31 PM
He sucked in the first half, admittedly. The second half he was amazing.He hit .254 with 78 RBI...
I'm sure you can find a stat that indicates his terrific ability to hit with nobody on base and the game already decided, though.

Craig Grebeck
05-15-2008, 11:36 PM
He hit .254 with 78 RBI...
I'm sure you can find a stat that indicates his terrific ability to hit with nobody on base and the game already decided, though.
Well, considering he played the first half with nagging injuries and then tore it up after signing an extension, I'd say he did well.

Check his splits -- http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=dyeje01&year=2007

MISoxfan
05-16-2008, 06:22 AM
He hit .254 with 78 RBI...

He hit .298 for the second half of last season with 16 HR's are those stats traditional enough? Dye's only a liability in RF not at the plate.