PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle and Danks

Baines83
05-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ozzie say before the season started that he didn't want Buehrle and Danks starting on consecutive days? So what gives? Maybe he needs to give Masset a start and break up the rotation the way it falls right now.

chisoxmike
05-03-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't really think thats a problem right now.

sox1970
05-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Danks is charting Buehrle's starts, so I think he's supposedly learning something before he pitches. I see no problem with them going back to back.

TDog
05-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ozzie say before the season started that he didn't want Buehrle and Danks starting on consecutive days? So what gives? Maybe he needs to give Masset a start and break up the rotation the way it falls right now.

One of the advantages that left-handed pitchers have is teams see more right-handed pitchers. Danks is handicapped if he follows Buehrle against the same team because the opponent just saw a lefty. But Danks shut down the A's after the A's beat Buehrle. The two could have been broken up after the rainout against Baltimore. I'm sure they will be broken up eventually, when an off-day permits. If Danks had been hit hard today, I would be more concerned. He didn't pitch especially well today, but the offense didn't overwhelm him.

The White Sox at one point this year faced four straight left-handed starters among three teams. They won three of the four games. After the loss, of course, WSI posters were whining about how the Sox can't beat lefties.

sullythered
05-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I have absolutely nothing negative to say about our starting rotation.

Baines83
05-03-2008, 05:33 PM
One of the advantages that left-handed pitchers have is teams see more right-handed pitchers. Danks is handicapped if he follows Buehrle against the same team because the opponent just saw a lefty. But Danks shut down the A's after the A's beat Buehrle. The two could have been broken up after the rainout against Baltimore. I'm sure they will be broken up eventually, when an off-day permits. If Danks had been hit hard today, I would be more concerned. He didn't pitch especially well today, but the offense didn't overwhelm him.

The White Sox at one point this year faced four straight left-handed starters among three teams. They won three of the four games. After the loss, of course, WSI posters were whining about how the Sox can't beat lefties.
I don't think it's a problem per se and I'm certainly not criticizing our starters as they've been excellent so far. I just found it odd that Ozzie didn't want them pitching back to back because they are so similar style wise and now he's done an about face. Whatever works!

ondafarm
05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
For consecutive lefty pitchers I don't see a huge disadvantage for the second guy as long as his delivery comes out of a different location and his pitches are somewhat different. Danks and Buehrle are somewhat alike, but not that similar. In another way, I see it as a plus for Danks because the right-handed platoon guys are more tired from being called on the day before and getting a frustrating number of at bats against Buehrle. As a batter I would say that guys who just blew me away were tiring, but guys who constantly tricked you with garbage just exhausted me. Maybe just me though.

soxfan21
05-03-2008, 08:36 PM

Same here. The rotation this year is much better than most people expected, now if we could just get that timely hitting back that we had 2 weeks ago we would be a much better team and would be winning the close games that we have had of late.

JB98
05-03-2008, 08:48 PM

Total non-issue.

Sox
05-03-2008, 09:14 PM

As an "old school" kind of guy and proud of it, I have to totally agree with your general statement. I say if its not broke don't fix it.:D: