PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Deja Vu Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
05-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Same as last night, no hitting and unearned runs the difference. What the hell is happening?:scratch:

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 02:44 PM
team sux

LoveYourSuit
05-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I love the title!

:cool:

TomC727
05-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I have never been a person to push for a firing of a coach but I think the only thing that has to be done is Walker must go. Something must be done.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I love the title!

:cool:

My titles always get deep-sixed.

hi im skot
:whiner:

Corlose 15
What a goddamn joke this team is right now.:rolleyes:

Thome has already gotten his 5 hits against left handed pitching for the whole year so he's set.

At least this team can pitch fairly well, because that can't hit, or catch right now.

:angry::angry::angry:

Chicken Dinner
At least we still lead the league in homers. :?:

sox1970
05-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Quite a juggernaut Kenny Williams has built.

Way to go for it, Kenny!

Lorenzo Barcelo
I'm not worried yet, the big thing will be how this team will respond after a loss like this. I better not see that excuse again. I think that one has been used since Monday.

CubsfansareDRUNK
.500 :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Daver
My titles always get deep-sixed.

The software always defaults to the older thread when you merge them.

Blueprint1
The team seems to have enough talent to play with anyone. The thing is we have not played up to our ability in almost two years now. I have no clue how we can fix this thing. Maybe this isn't Walkers fault but it might be time for a change. Change might send a message to the players. I know we can't fire the players.

voodoochile
Damn...

Couple of inches either way on this game same as yesterday.

Team needs to go out and get drunk and forget about this bad run and come out fresh if hungover tomorrow.

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2008, 02:48 PM
This team had a nice first couple of weeks, but out side of that it has shown me no reason to suspect that they are any different than the '07 White Sox. Thome, Paulie and JD look like they might be on the last legs of their careers (JD and Thome certainly). Our table setters can't get on base, no team speed, no one can execute the fundamentals of the game...really, this is just a bad team. Maybe they'll get out of their funk and start playing good baseball. But right now this is just a bad team, in fact, it's really an awful team.

turners56
****ing Unacceptable. We get out of numerous jams, but Joe Crede and Octavio Blotel manage to screw the team over again. Halladay is gonna no hit us tomorrow, the team might as well not even show up. We can't hit and when we do it's right at somebody or it's a solo home run. 2007, go away already.

Brian26
Team needs to go out and get drunk and forget about this bad run and come out fresh if hungover tomorrow.

And leave Crede's glove in the gutter on the way home. :redneck

Corlose 15
05-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Damn...

Couple of inches either way on this game same as yesterday.

Most of WSI needs to do the same thing.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 02:49 PM
The software always defaults to the older thread when you merge them.

software sux

:redneck

Let's you and I get drunk right now over the internet.:gulp:

TomBradley72
05-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Dead man walking.

Swisher has to be one of the worst lead off hitters in baseball.

Crede's lack of focus on defense (lackadaisical throw last night, ****ing squeeze the glove before you go to the bag) has killed us. 6 errors by May 3rd?

Pablo has to be one of the worst defensive 2nd baseman.

An unbelievably slow team to watch in action.

All of this while our starters keep coming out and doing solid work. What a waste.

LoveYourSuit
05-03-2008, 02:52 PM
:ralomar: Is there a vacany at 2B?

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 02:53 PM
And leave Crede's glove in the gutter on the way home. :redneck

They should break into Cooperstown and grab his 2005 glove.

BadBobbyJenks
Hey what do you know? Another 5th starter makes us look silly.

hi im skot
Failure is just success rounded down. (http://www.qwantz.com/archive/000955.html)

chisoxfanatic
05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Every team goes through offensive slumps like this, and they'll get through it; but, it's too bad Doltel had to put a close game out of reach.

Get 'em tomorrow, boyz!!!

kaufsox
05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
brutal game, in a stretch of brutal games. A shake up on offense is needed, desperately.

LITTLE NELL
05-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I thought that 07 was a fluke, but this team is proving me wrong.

veeter
05-03-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't know what to say. I am quite confident that this will be the last season of the Thome, Konerko and Dye trio. And that makes me happy.

Soxman219
05-03-2008, 02:57 PM
This team is terrible. Every pitcher we face is Cy Young and we can't even score with runners on scoring position (Crede on 3rd with 1 out!).

This team is so bad I think I'm going to be f**king sick!:angry:

Chicken Dinner

But Roy's pitching tomorrow. :o:

itsnotrequired
Every team goes through offensive slumps like this, and they'll get through it; but, it's too bad Doltel had to put a close game out of reach.

Dotel gets about 5% of the blame on this one, IMO.

SoxSpeed22
I wonder if they would play better while hungover?
Would now be the right time to call Owens up? Swisher is a nice hitter when he's not leading off and Cabrera's having more trouble than anticipated. Owens could get his shot as a lead-off hitter and maybe shake things up a little bit.
Since I'll be writing papers or studying all weekend, I might as well start a raging debate.

kaufsox

Dotel should have been out of that inning, place the blame on Crede's poor play. A pitcher is going to give up hits, the defense, which two weeks ago was touted as such a strength is looking really bad right now.

veeter
05-03-2008, 02:58 PM

Get 'em tomorrow, boyz!!!Paul 'I have **** in my pants' Konerko should have caught Wells' pop up, but he too freakin' slow.

sox1970
05-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Remember that one time Jerry Owens hit a homer off Halladay last year.

That was awesome.

Parrothead
05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Same as last night, no hitting and unearned runs the difference. What the hell is happening?:scratch:

What is happening is you are seeing the re-emergence of 2007. The Sox can't hit, field or run the bases. Besides that the Sox are fine. Let's all enjoy the trip to 3rd place.

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Dotel should have been out of that inning, place the blame on Crede's poor play. A pitcher is going to give up hits, the defense, which two weeks ago was touted as such a strength is looking really bad right now.
With the exception of pitching, we're bad at every aspect of the game right now.

chisoxmike
05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Chips347/sadbanana.gif

Win tomorrow.

champagne030
05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Every team goes through offensive slumps like this, and they'll get through it

We've been this way, offensively, since July of 2006? That's not a slump, that's the White Sox. :shrug:

oeo
05-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Quite a juggernaut Kenny Williams has built.

Way to go for it, Kenny!

Please...

He's proven most of the critics wrong. What was our biggest issue coming in? Starting pitching, and they've been great. Not his fault that guys forgot how to hit.

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2008, 03:03 PM
We've been this way, offensively, since July of 2006? That's not a slump, that's the White Sox. :shrug:
Ever since 2000 our MO has been to get as many power hitters as we can and just hit the hell out of the ball. The one exception was in '05 when Kenny said he wanted to build a team around pitching, speed and defense...why he decided to stop doing that, I don't know.

oeo
05-03-2008, 03:05 PM

It's most definitely not a slump. That said, I still don't know what it is. This isn't the same lineup as 2006, and it definitely is not the same one as 2007.

Whether its the hitting coach, the approach, I don't know...but the players have changed, and the results have not. So something else needs to change.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-03-2008, 03:06 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Chips347/sadbanana.gif

Win tomorrow.

I was unaware of the existence of the stunned banana -- that is so great.

sox1970
05-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Please...

He's proven most of the critics wrong. What was our biggest issue coming in? Starting pitching, and they've been great. Not his fault that guys forgot how to hit.

That's not the point. The point is the Sox are in-between being a young, rebuilding team, and a team that is actually a contender for a championship.

Crede, Konerko, and Dye should not be here.

Linebrink and Dotel will probably prove to be be wasted money.

They need to trade for young talent. Draft and develop young talent.

The Kenny Williams "Lightning in a Bottle" philosophy has to go.

cws05champ
05-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm glad I couldn't watch today...I needed a break. I can't beleive they are this bad again. People on here say we shouldn't compare to 2007, but the same things are happening....everyone is slumping!!! It's unbelieveable.

I really don't want to image whats going to happen against Doc tomorrow.

oeo
05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
That's not the point. The point is the Sox are in-between being a young, rebuilding team, and a team that is actually a contender for a championship.

Crede, Konerko, and Dye should not be here.

Linebrink and Dotel will probably prove to be be wasted money.

They need to trade for young talent. Draft and develop young talent.

The Kenny Williams "Lightning in a Bottle" philosophy has to go.

Konerko should not be here? :?: Please enlighten me...

There was nothing 'lightning in a bottle' about his offseason. He went after and acquired veteran relief pitching (which the majority of people here were calling for all of last year...we still see whining), a clubhouse leading SS, and two outfielders to shore up a terrible outfield from 2007.

This team isn't 'between' anything. They just continue their woes at the plate. They would be winning right now if they could hit the ****ing ball. And its not as if we've got a bunch of young guys out there that aren't hitting, they're veterans. With the starting pitching they have gotten, they should be winning.

veeter
05-03-2008, 03:14 PM
My dream is to somehow land that kick ass, stud shortstop you can build a team around. Easier said than done, but it's a dream.

tstrike2000
05-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Dotel us we won't have to see that guy again.

HitMan_naMtiH
05-03-2008, 03:22 PM
This team is terrible. Every pitcher we face is Cy Young and we can't even score with runners on scoring position (Crede on 3rd with 1 out!).

This team is so bad I think I'm going to be f**king sick!:angry:
I couldn't agree more

voodoochile
05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
What is happening is you are seeing the re-emergence of 2007. The Sox can't hit, field or run the bases. Besides that the Sox are fine. Let's all enjoy the trip to 3rd place.

In 2007 all of these things happened and thus they will again this year.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 03:27 PM

r u drunk yet?

voodoochile
05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
r u drunk yet?

No booze and I'm to lazy to go get some.

thomas35forever
05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I was unaware of the existence of the stunned banana -- that is so great.
I think the banana would rather become someone's potassium right now than watch this team.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
No booze and I'm to lazy to go get some.

then the dream has died before it was even dreamted

Baines83
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Very well said, although I think it might be more like fourth place. Opposing teams are making our hitters look stupid. Why doesn't Thome lay a bunt down on the 3rd base side once in awhile and give the opponent something to think about when they shift on him. Did anyone else find Ozzie's decision to sacrifice with Ozuna after Crede doubled with no one out ....strange? I realize the score was only 2-0 at that point but cmon! We haven't exactly been lighting up the scoreboard lately so why give the Jays an automatic out at that point?

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Very well said, although I think it might be more like fourth place. Opposing teams are making our hitters look stupid. Why doesn't Thome lay a bunt down on the 3rd base side once in awhile and give the opponent something to think about when they shift on him. Did anyone else find Ozzie's decision to sacrifice with Ozuna after Crede doubled with no one out ....strange? I realize the score was only 2-0 at that point but cmon! We haven't exactly been lighting up the scoreboard lately so why give the Jays an automatic out at that point?

:rolling:

Noneck
05-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Every team goes through offensive slumps like this, and they'll get through it

I used to think the same thing but after last year and 2nd half of 06, I am beginning to think that what we see is what we got. These are the type of players we have and its not going to get better consistently.

Baines83
05-03-2008, 03:51 PM
:rolling:
Why is this funny? If Thome comes up to bat to start the inning he's got a sure hit if he lays one down towards third. With no fielder there who's going to throw him out? The dynamics of this team changed when they signed Jim. Now everyone is up at the plate trying to hit homeruns instead of doing the little things. Toronto in this series is showing the Sox the value of getting on base with base hits rather than trying to club the ball over the fence every pitch.

Blueprint1
05-03-2008, 03:53 PM
What were we going to do to make this team fast? We can't just take players from other teams. There were not free agents for us to sign that fit this mold. We had to work with what was out there.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-03-2008, 03:54 PM

I hate to feel this way on May 2, but this offense is offensive to watch. I have a feeling 3rd will be a good finish.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Why is this funny? If Thome comes up to bat to start the inning he's got a sure hit if he lays one down towards third. With no fielder there who's going to throw him out? The dynamics of this team changed when they signed Jim. Now everyone is up at the plate trying to hit homeruns instead of doing the little things. Toronto in this series is showing the Sox the value of getting on base with base hits rather than trying to club the ball over the fence every pitch.

Take a look at Thome's career bunt stats and then we'll talk some more.

BRDSR
05-03-2008, 04:01 PM

Bunting is one of the few aspects of baseball that does not require much of any natural talent. It was one of the most difficult things about the game, but it takes practice, practice, practice. I've thought the same thing about Thome every time they put that shift on him. Hell, if he just made a show of practicing bunting during pregame warmups they might not put the shift on.

champagne030
05-03-2008, 04:03 PM

It's not ****ing funny. It's actually a travesty. You're hitting below .200 and nobody is on base and all you need to do is butchyball it towards 3rd base for a double. For crying out loud, the steroid/HGH abusing, self-absorbed, Giambi will ****ing lay down a bunt with that shift. The 3B was 15 ****ing feet from 2B. That's just stubborn and selfish to not lay it down.

Baines83
05-03-2008, 04:05 PM
If a guy who has been in the majors as long as Jim has can't lay down a bunt to a phantom third baseman once in awhile and beat it out then there's something seriously wrong! I know Jim is in the lineup to drive in runs but the way this offense is going Ozzie better start getting creative in the dugout.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2008, 04:06 PM
OEO:

I'm not saying you are wrong and this is not a slap at Kenny but the Sox needed a real leadoff hitter, not a guy pretending to be one, and it wasn't done.

The Sox also needed balance in the lineup, Ozzie himself stated he was tired of strikeouts and solo home runs. It appears nothing has changed in that regard.

That doesn't mean Kenny didn't try and again it's not a slap at him personally but there were others needs going in then just the pitching.

I guess I'm tired of the for want of a better word, "creative" approach to things. If you need a lead off hitter, go out and get a lead off hitter, not try to force a guy into that role and hope he does well.

Ditto for balance in the lineup or a 5th starter or whatever else is considered an area of need. Identify the need, get the need.

To me I think you have a better chance of success doing that then by asking a non leadoff hitter to play leadoff (and that's just an immediate example, not trying to focus solely on that area.)

Lip

Parrothead
05-03-2008, 04:07 PM
What were we going to do to make this team fast? We can't just take players from other teams. There were not free agents for us to sign that fit this mold. We had to work with what was out there.

The Don Beebe School of Speed.:D:

JB98
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
O-for-12 from the top three spots in the lineup. Maybe we should lead Ozuna off and drop Swisher down just to take some pressure off him.

I wish Konerko would say something to his teammates. Paul had two really good ABs today. Leading off the fifth, he takes an outside pitch into right for a base hit. Nothing fancy, just trying to get something started.

Then, he comes up in the ninth with one out and falls behind 0-2. Ryan throws him a breaking ball and leaves it up. Paul could have tried to hit that one in the second deck if he wanted to. Instead, realizing that he wasn't the tying run, he just lined it up the middle for a hit. Again, just trying to get something started.

That's the approach we need to come out of this. Just take your hits, let your swing come back to you. The power will take care of itself.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 04:14 PM
If a guy who has been in the majors as long as Jim has can't lay down a bunt to a phantom third baseman once in awhile and beat it out then there's something seriously wrong! I know Jim is in the lineup to drive in runs but the way this offense is going Ozzie better start getting creative in the dugout.

There is nothing wrong at all. Players like Thome aren't on teams to lay down bunts. Look at the career bunt stats for other sluggers such as David Ortiz, Vernon Wells, Travis Hafner, etc.

Asking Thome to bunt is like asking 2005 Pods to hit home runs. It is counter-productive.

Baines83
05-03-2008, 04:24 PM
OEO:

I'm not saying you are wrong and this is not a slap at Kenny but the Sox needed a real leadoff hitter, not a guy pretending to be one, and it wasn't done.

The Sox also needed balance in the lineup, Ozzie himself stated he was tired of strikeouts and solo home runs. It appears nothing has changed in that regard.

That doesn't mean Kenny didn't try and again it's not a slap at him personally but there were others needs going in then just the pitching.

I guess I'm tired of the for want of a better word, "creative" approach to things. If you need a lead off hitter, go out and get a lead off hitter, not try to force a guy into that role and hope he does well.

Ditto for balance in the lineup or a 5th starter or whatever else is considered an area of need. Identify the need, get the need.

To me I think you have a better chance of success doing that then by asking a non leadoff hitter to play leadoff (and that's just an immediate example, not trying to focus solely on that area.)

Lip
I agree with everything you say. In Kenny and Ozzie's defense Swish, OC and Carlos Quentin were signed because prior to this year they were all high on base guys. I'm going to be optimistic and believe that when our number one and two guys in the batting order start getting on and Thome, Paulie and Dye get out of their funk our offense will come around. These guys are just too good to be struggling like this for an extended period. If they don't hit it's going to be a loooong season with a big fire sale come July.

Baines83
05-03-2008, 04:30 PM
There is nothing wrong at all. Players like Thome aren't on teams to lay down bunts. Look at the career bunt stats for other sluggers such as David Ortiz, Vernon Wells, Travis Hafner, etc.

Asking Thome to bunt is like asking 2005 Pods to hit home runs. It is counter-productive.
I'll reply to this and let it drop. Ortiz doesn't have to bunt with the guys he's got along side him in the lineup. Same with Hafner. What are Boston and Cleveland's team batting averages? I think big Jim and the rest of the guys will get there strokes back and someone's pitching staff is going to be in for a little payback!

Corlose 15
05-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm thinking that opposing defenses will settle for Thome reaching everytime against them via the bunt than him hitting .270 with a few doubles and home runs.

He doesn't need to bunt, he just needs to go the other way.

JB98
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking that opposing defenses will settle for Thome reaching everytime against them via the bunt than him hitting .270 with a few doubles and home runs.

He doesn't need to bunt, he just needs to go the other way.

He has good power to left too. Like every other player in the world, he would benefit from hitting the ball where it was pitched.

I hope Jim Thome NEVER lays down a bunt.

pudge
05-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I hate to feel this way on May 2, but this offense is offensive to watch. I have a feeling 3rd will be a good finish.

Every single year there's a stretch in May in which I can feel like you know what you got. The honeymoon of April is over, whether it was good or bad, and now the team is set and you see the cards on the table. They ain't good cards, folks. We'll see what the rest of the month brings.

alohafri
05-03-2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.slap-shot.com/UptonCast.jpg"This is ****ing embarassing."

champagne030
05-03-2008, 05:05 PM
He has good power to left too. Like every other player in the world, he would benefit from hitting the ball where it was pitched.

I hope Jim Thome NEVER lays down a bunt.

He does have good power to left.

That said, I do wish he would lay down a bunt when we're down in the game and the 3rd baseman is playing 15 feet from 2nd base and he's getting a steady diet of breaking pitches outside and low. I'll take 2nd and 3rd vs. the whiff or grounded into a double play over the chance the pitcher makes a mistake....Especially when you're hitting two bucks.

Vernam
05-03-2008, 05:10 PM
It's most definitely not a slump. That said, I still don't know what it is. This isn't the same lineup as 2006, and it definitely is not the same one as 2007.

Whether its the hitting coach, the approach, I don't know...but the players have changed, and the results have not. So something else needs to change.The real constant has been Konerko/Thome/Dye in the 3-4-5 slot. Anything to break up that bad mojo would be welcomed by me.

At a minimum, stick TCQ or Crede in there. Drop JD to sixth or seventh.

Better yet, platoon Dye and Thome at DH to make room for someone, anyone who can run -- like Anderson and/or Owens -- in CF, by moving Swisher to RF.

Or best of all, find some team to eat one or more of their contracts and maybe even package a prospect or two, then don't look back. I've seen enough of that trio in the middle of our order. You're supposed to be glad to see your 3-4-5 hitters leading off the ninth inning of a close game. Anybody feel glad to see those guys back-to-back in a game situation?

Vernam

oeo
05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
OEO:

Is leadoff hitter our big problem right now? Seriously, Lip...

And Kenny acquired more than just pitching. He brought in two OBP beasts in Swisher and Quentin.

Swisher wasn't the plan (obviously) to lead off. This team had a ton of holes coming into the offseason, and I think Kenny did a fine job in filling most of those. I said it before the offseason: it was going to take more than one offseason to fix the mess. He did a good job this offseason, hopefully he follows it up after this year.

5th starter? You seriously think that's a need right now? Are you watching? He was right about Danks and Floyd...maybe it's time some of you admit that you're wrong.

And your need for "balance" again comes back to so many holes to be filled in so little time. Kenny did a great job this offseason...do you not realize that we had one outfielder, no middle infielders, and one good reliever at the end of last year?

Jurr
05-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Two solo shots. How different.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2008, 07:28 PM
OEO:

I simply used the term "5th starter" as an example... not a specific need, not that the Sox had "a need" in that regard. I could have just as easily used the term back up catcher, or right fielder. It was simply an example.

And I do agree with you on this point. Going into this season there were more holes on the club then could be fixed in a single season without spending money like the Cubs did before the 2006 campaign.

The issue with taking multiple years to fill all the holes is however that without a productive minor league system by the time you fill the original holes, you just might have two or three new ones that developed over the course of the two years. For example, the Sox are probably going to need a top shortstop next season.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Is leadoff hitter our big problem right now? Seriously, Lip...

Our leadoff hitter's inability to get on is a big problem right now, yes. As is our second hitter's inability to get on...and the third, and the fourth and the fifth...most of the hitting is a problem right now. But Swish's OBP has been in freefall since that series in Baltimore. It is very much a problem.

GBORN
05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/2120134/050612_BadNewsBears_ex.jpg

Foulke You
05-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm hoping Ozzie has a new lineup out there for tomorrow's game. It's worth a shot to shake things up. They certainly couldn't do any worse.

santo=dorf
05-04-2008, 09:56 AM
We have to send Fields down. Thta's two games in a row in which his defense cost us the game. We should've never trad Joe Crede to the Giants for Jonathan Sanchez! Clutch! 2005! Chicago Tough! Grinder!

I believe this was brought up with Terry Francona before and basically the response was "we're not paying David Ortiz $12 million a year to bunt in the #3 spot."

RTI_SoxFan
05-04-2008, 10:21 AM
The biggest problem with this team is their .230something Batting Average.