PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else work with Cub fans?

jamokes
05-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Cub fans are idiots................especially the ones you have to work with! They all think that the gods of baseball will allow them to win it all because this is the 100th year of being a loser.

The Cub fans I work with have labeled me a "hater" because, well I hate the Cubs and I let them know that.

Cub fans believe all the garbage Cub players give the media, excuse after excuse, Sox fans know better.

You tell a Cub fan that if Lee Elia ever ripped Sox fans, he would never be welcomed back and Sox fans would have demanded he be fired immediately, Cub fans don't get that one.

Anyone else work with Cub fans?

MarySwiss
05-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I work with a couple. (I tell ya; they're everywhere!)

Do what I did. Turn your work area into a White Sox shrine. I have all kinds of Sox stuff hanging there, including a framed 8X10 glossy of me in a Konerko road jersey with the World Series trophy that I had taken at ST 2006. You may not have one of those, but put up a bunch of Sox stuff, especially stuff about the 2005 season. With any luck, they'll think you're deranged and leave you alone.

TDog
05-03-2008, 04:11 PM
When I worked in Alaska, my supervisor for a time and a copy editor were huge Cubs fans. My supervisor came after the 2003 season and left before I did in 2006. During the 2005 season, when I had no television, I felt surrounded by angry Sox-hating Cubs fans while feeling I was the only Sox fan anywhere within a 900-mile radius.

The person who hired me, an Astros fan who left a couple of months after I got there and liked to talk baseball with me, liked to get the Sox fan and Cub fan he hired into arguments. He found it amusing.

chisoxfanatic
05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Back in September of 2006, when the Indians eliminated our Sox' chances of a playoff spot, there was a photo in the Sun Times the next day of Indians fans giving Ozzie the "choke" sign. A cub fan colleague of mine blew it up and put it in my mailbox.

I immediately flipped that thing over and wrote on the back of it "I am less than half your age and have seen my team do something you'll NEVER see your team do, so shut up already!" I slid that underneath his office door.

Cubs fans have learned not to get "into it" with me at work.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I immediately flipped that thing over and wrote on the back of it "I am less than half your age and have seen my team do something you'll NEVER see your team do, so shut up already!" I slid that underneath his office door.

Were you in junior high at the time?

Juice16
05-03-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm surrounded at work. The ratio here has to be 4:1. There are a few good baseball Cub fans here but of course the majority live and breath the stereotype. These people have the most pompous attitude when it comes to baseball.

JB98
05-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Mostly Cubs fans where I work. But I work at a newspaper, so what do you expect? :D:

WSox597
05-03-2008, 06:48 PM
The Cub fans that kill me are the 18 year olds who talk about how "lonnnnnnggg" it's been since the "Cubbies" have won.

"we've been waiting soooo lonnnnggg to win. It's our turn."

Shut up already. I have socks older than you.

Chicken Dinner
05-03-2008, 07:28 PM
If you work anywhere in the country with more than 50 employees you probably work with a Cub fan.:upsidehead:

LoveYourSuit
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Many of the Cub fans I know realize not to step to me anyomre because there is no point.

That '05 championship is like "the shut the **** up" card I throw at them all the time.

Juice16
05-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Many of the Cub fans I know realize not to step to me anyomre because there is no point.

That '05 championship is like "the shut the **** up" card I throw at them all the time.

Unfortunatley that doesn't work for me. They are so dense they have totally blocked out 2005 and act like it either 1)never happened or 2) that was so long ago.

RadioheadRocks
05-03-2008, 08:18 PM
My Team Leader is a Cub fan, but he's a good baseball fan in general. We do some good-natured ribbing but also enjoy talking baseball, roadtrips, etc.

QCIASOXFAN
05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Everybody I work with is a Cubs fan. I personally know probably 5-7 Sox fans in the entire Quad Cities and I'm including TheRacehorse and JohnTucker in this number. It's pretty rough. Cardinals fans are my friends.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I have a lot of them here, a few old-time good baseball people and a lot of young "Cubs are soooooooo cool" types. Like Mary Swiss my office is a Sox shrine with flags, banners, trophy replica, etc. When new employees start I'm introduced as the "Huge White Sox fan" and if yelling is heard coming from my office to just ignore it.

We have a display case in our Sport Lounge telling cutomers to "watch their favorite team here". Being by the IL/WI border we have to cater to Sox/Cub/Brewers. I set it up with a HUGE Sox flag, a Brewers jersey and a couple of itty-bitty Cub flags. Cub fans can't do a thing about it.:cool:

One of my bosses is a Twins fan but he is a true case of "Minnesota nice" and knows when to not poke a stick in the cage.

SoxGirl4Life
05-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Somehow, I'm lucky enough to work with 3 die-hard Sox fans, 1 girl who likes to go to Wrigley for the socializing but hates baseball :rolleyes:, and only 1 true Cub fan. Cub fan hardly ever says anything, because we're quick to shoot her down.

She was talking trash before the season started and I just asked her if she has the DVD set of the last Cub World Series victory.

TDog
05-03-2008, 10:11 PM

She was talking trash before the season started and I just asked her if she has the DVD set of the last Cub World Series victory.

You could ask her why WGN doesn't play the radio call from that last World Series in station promos.

SoxGirl4Life
05-03-2008, 10:21 PM
You could ask her why WGN doesn't play the radio call from that last World Series in station promos.

lol.. another one I like is asking her what the best selling car was the year the Cubs won the World Series.

eriqjaffe
05-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Let's see...I work with people, so...yes. Yes, I work with Cub fans.

On the whole, they're fine, actually. Then again, it probably has to do with the fact that I'm respectful of their choice, am pretty much always willing to talk baseball, and am perfectly willing to give the Cubs whatever respect their performance deems appropriate. Or they're afraid of me because I can disable their Windows accounts.

My immediate supervisor is a Cub fan (although not a particularly vocal one), and he just hired a Sox fan...thus making him the minority in our department. :o:

SoxGirl4Life
05-03-2008, 10:34 PM
My immediate supervisor is a Cub fan (although not a particularly vocal one), and he just hired a Sox fan...thus making him the minority in our department. :o:

My immediate supervisor is a Sox fan. I think he asks in interviews "Cubs or Sox". He says Cubs fans have innate impaired judgement and thus are risky employees.

DumpJerry
05-04-2008, 12:09 AM
To answer the original question: yes.

Anyone with a job in the Chicago area that has co-workers works with Cub fans. Despite what Lee Elia said, they do have jobs. That's how they pay for tickets.

TDog
05-04-2008, 01:53 AM
My immediate supervisor is a Sox fan. I think he asks in interviews "Cubs or Sox". He says Cubs fans have innate impaired judgement and thus are risky employees.

When I was in Wisconsin, I found a reporter at a journalism job fair in Chicago after the 2000 season. I couldn't hire her on the spot, but recommended her to my supervisor who brought her in for an interview. After that interview I was asked if I suggested hiring her because she was a huge Sox fan. I didn't even know she was a Sox fan because baseball loyalty has nothing to do with someone's quality of work. She was a great reporter, though.

I, however, didn't consider the unimpressive girl who came to my booth with a resume that included parking cars at Wrigley Field.

Nellie_Fox
05-04-2008, 03:49 AM
Do what I did. Turn your work area into a White Sox shrine.I have a couple of shelves in my office dedicated to Sox stuff. Most of my students are Twins fans, but my Sox shrine has started many really good, well-informed baseball discussions.

ondafarm
05-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I work mostly with foreigners. The Americans I work with are mostly Cub fans. I also have to deal with a bunch of Tiger fans, but I can shut them up cold. The only team ever to lose a World Series to the Chicago Cubs is the Detroit Tigers.

TornLabrum
05-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Anyone with a job in the Chicago area that has co-workers works with Cub fans. Despite what Lee Elia said, they do have jobs. That's how they pay for tickets.

Except for their biggest fan of all.

:woo-woo

Job? Woo! Clean your windshield? Woo!

DumpJerry
05-04-2008, 11:35 AM
The only team ever to lose a World Series to the Chicago Cubs is the Detroit Tigers.
Wow. Did not realize that. Of course it was 1907 and 1908, but on the surface that sounds like a damning stat.

Reminds me of the put-down I always give my Cub/Indians fan brother about The Tribe:

The Tribe is the team that lost a World Series to the Braves during the Braves' run in the '90's.

Also, keep in mind that the Tigers are the only AL team to actually lose games during the World Series over the past four Fall Classics. That is a little more relevant since many of the 2006 Tigers are still on the current team.

MrRoboto83
05-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I went out on a date with a woman last year that claimed to be a Cub fan, she also had no idea who Jim Thome was..."I've never heard of him":scratch: Me thinks she had no idea about anything baseball, but she loves the Cubs. I hate these types. I never talked to her again. She also had no idea who half of the Cubs team was last year and she was talking smack.

sullythered
05-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I work in River Grove, which is Cub-fan territory. Almost everyone there is a Cub fan. I have a few on my side, but we are outnumbered by a ton. I am the biggest (and most informed) baseball fan at work, though.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
I went out on a date with a woman last year that claimed to be a Cub fan, she also had no idea who Jim Thome was..."I've never heard of him":scratch: Me thinks she had no idea about anything baseball, but she loves the Cubs. I hate these types. I never talked to her again. She also had no idea who half of the Cubs team was last year and she was talking smack.

I had to laugh when I read this. My daughter (now a die hard Sox fan) used to claim to be Cub fan. The only player she knew was Sosa. Unlike your date however, she was 7 years old and trying to annoy her mother.:rolleyes:She is now 18 and a knowledgeable Sox fan. I think 7 is about the emotional age of a lot of Cubbie fans.

soxpride724
05-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Great topic here,lol. I live and work in Naperville so I would say the ratio is about 20-1. Every guy on my department including my supervisor is a flubs fan (take that back, we just hired a Sox fan). It can be annoying, but for the most part we are friends and when it comes to baseball we respect each others opinions. I have gotten into it a few times with the guys, mostly beacause I notice that they do fit MOST of the stereo types about them. For instance, one of our guys comes in the morning after a flubs win, and says to me "Hey that was some game last night, flubbies are on a roll" and I tell him that I didn't watch the game (Mainly cause the Sox were on, dumbass), but I saw the recap on sportscenter and gave the flubs some props. I then try and engage him into some conversation ragrding a cartain play or some stats and this dude has no idea, and he was the one watched the whole game,lol. There are some who are baseball knowledgable, but for the most part it's just the trendy thing to do.
This one girl I know is a die hard flubs fan, or at least she claims to be. Anyway, she would go to sox games with us in 2006 because it was the "Thing to do" since they just won the WS. She would try and engage me in Sox flubs arguments, yet she couldn't name three players on the flubs current roster...yes I said three.
For every twenty flubs fans in Naperville there is maybe one Sox fan. For every twenty flubs fan I meet there is ONE that can actually angage me in an intelligent baseball conversation.

white sox bill
05-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Great topic here,lol. I live and work in Naperville so I would say the ratio is about 20-1. Every guy on my department including my supervisor is a flubs fan (take that back, we just hired a Sox fan). It can be annoying, but for the most part we are friends and when it comes to baseball we respect each otheres opinions. I have gotten into it a few times with the guys, mostly beacause I notice that they do fit MOST of the stereo types about them. For instance, one of our guys comes in the morning after a flubs win, and says to me "Hey that was some game last night, flubbies are on a roll" and I tell him that I didn't watch the game (Mainly cause the Sox were on, dumbass), but I saw the recap on sportscenter and gave the flubs some props. I then try and engage him into some conversation ragrding a cartain play or some stats and this dude has no idea, and he was the one watched the whole game,lol. There are some who are baseball knowledgable, but for the most part it's just the trendy thing to do.
This one girl I know is a die hard flubs fan, or at least she claims to be. Anyway, she would go to sox games with us in 2006 because it was the "Thing to do" since they just won the WS. She would try and engage me in Sox flubs arguments, yet she couldn't name three players on the flubs current roster...yes I said three.
For every twenty flubs fans in Naperville there is maybe one Sox fan. For every twenty flubs fan I meet there is ONE that can actually angage me in an intelligent baseball conversation.

Here in NorthWest Illinois, there are more cub fans per sqaure mile than cockroaches in a dirty kitchen. White Sox? Those are something you put on in the morning before your shoes

champagne030
05-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Actually, Elia was right at the time. Nobody went to Giggles. It was an empty park. My parents were/are Flubs fans and my dad knew an Andy Frain who let us into the park for free many times.

I got grounded when I cheered Garvey's HR off Smith. And my football coach made me run 2 miles when I came to practice in a Padres hat the following season.

whitesoxwilkes
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I work with 2 Cub fans and a guy who played AA ball in the Cubs organization (but is a huge Indians fan).

All our baseball conversations are very respectful. :cool:

jenn2080
05-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Cub fans are idiots................especially the ones you have to work with! They all think that the gods of baseball will allow them to win it all because this is the 100th year of being a loser.

The Cub fans I work with have labeled me a "hater" because, well I hate the Cubs and I let them know that.

Cub fans believe all the garbage Cub players give the media, excuse after excuse, Sox fans know better.

You tell a Cub fan that if Lee Elia ever ripped Sox fans, he would never be welcomed back and Sox fans would have demanded he be fired immediately, Cub fans don't get that one.

Anyone else work with Cub fans?

Oh you Sox fans who live in this perfect little bubble crack me up. You always think you are so superior and that a Sox fan knows all.

Why do you hate the Cubs? Do you actually hate them or the fans? My guess is the fans so in turn you say that you hate the team.

BTW I live in Chicago and I have NEVER ran into or worked with Cub fans. It is the strangest thing.

WSox597
05-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I work with quite a few Cub fans. Too many actually.

And most of them do fit the stereotype. Mostly uninformed about the game and their team, they mostly babble about how well attended their games are.

Usually, after too many of those types of "conversations" I ask to see an attendance trophy.

Dead silence, followed by a constipated expression.

I love the line about a DVD of the Cubs last World Series victory, I'll have to remember that one.

ondafarm
05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
There are a couple of players on the Cubs whom I respect. D.Lee's uncle and I played some ball together in Japan and Fukudome came up the Dragons organization. He was coached by the same guys who taught me most of what I know about baseball. I'm a slower learner though.

jamokes
05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Oh you Sox fans who live in this perfect little bubble crack me up. You always think you are so superior and that a Sox fan knows all.

Why do you hate the Cubs? Do you actually hate them or the fans? My guess is the fans so in turn you say that you hate the team.

BTW I live in Chicago and I have NEVER ran into or worked with Cub fans. It is the strangest thing.

You are correct Jenn, I hate the Cub fans. I give the Cub team credit for spending the money to try to win.

In order for Cub fans to have a clue about baseball, they would have to go to the store and buy one.

ZombieRob
05-04-2008, 11:35 PM
You are correct Jenn, I hate the Cub fans. I give the Cub team credit for spending the money to try to win.

In order for Cub fans to have a clue about baseball, they would have to go to the store and buy one.
I partly agree with you. Yes maybe 60% of the Cubs fans are clueless, but there is alot of good knowledgible Cub fans who really know the game. I use to root for both up until 84 when I lived in Round Lake. But as time wore on i just couldn't stand the media propaganda and everyone telling me I should be a Cubs fan becuse they are the only team in town and becuse of wrigley etc etc.Now as the years went on it's almost unbearable to be around todays Cubs fan listening them talk about how rich the "tradition" and how great the park is.(teal)

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2008, 02:23 AM
Why do you hate the Cubs? Do you actually hate them or the fans? My guess is the fans so in turn you say that you hate the team.I've hated the Cubs since I was about ten years old. Given that I'm ancient, that was WAYYY before it was cool to be a Cubs fan. The fans had nothing to do with it. I can't really point a finger at what triggered my hatred.

WSox597
05-05-2008, 06:53 AM
My beef is with the fans, definitely. Getting angry at the Cubs makes no sense. The team is its own worse enemy, constantly shooting itself in the foot.

Actually, over the years, the Sox have done much the same thing.

But their fans are the most insufferable PITA I've ever run across. What exactly are they so proud about? Do they think because there are weeds on their walls it's some kind of "tradition"?

100 years of futility is not anything to inspire pride. And to be honest, neither was 88 years.

But finally, the Sox broke through, and got the monkey off their backs. And the Cubs have King Kong on their backs right now. :D:

white sox bill
05-05-2008, 08:43 AM
I have a few screen questions I run by possible flub fans to guage thier level of intelligence. Here go's

"Hey I'm South Side all the way" This usually seperates the know nothings fro the at-least-know-minumum crowd

"I agree with Lee Elia" The good die hard ones usually laugh at this one and then we can talk baseball

"Your a cubs fan? Yea, OK whos the pitching coach?" See first question

Actually most cub fans are some of the nicest persons I know. And they almost always root for the Sox secondary(leaving me feeling somewhat guilty for me views on cubdumb)

rdwj
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm always amazed at how many people claim to be Cub fans that don't have any interest in baseball what-so-ever. I've never seen this type of behavior from any other fan base.

I was talking to a newer person in my office, and in a span of two minutes told me that she didn't like baseball and that she was a Cub fan. I followed that up with, "wait, I thought you didn't like baseball." She said, like it was perfectly reasonable, "I don't - it's boring". :?:

My wife's aunt is another one. I gave her son a Sox shirt. It was one that I got for free somehow - not a gift of anything. She gave me a rather mean look and said, "We're Cub fans in this house!" Now, I have NEVER heard her mention the Cubs before and she's generally disinterested in ALL sports. I've never seen her watch an inning of baseball and she probably knows 0 players on the team - how are you a "fan"???

Anyway, those are the types of people that make me dislike the Cubs - and there are LOTS of them. I actually have several good friends that are Cub fans, but they are, most importantly, BASEBALL fans. I find that I'm mostly fine with those fans, but get really annoyed with the non-baseball crowd.

jenn2080
05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I have a few screen questions I run by possible flub fans to guage thier level of intelligence. Here go's

"Hey I'm South Side all the way" This usually seperates the know nothings fro the at-least-know-minumum crowd

"I agree with Lee Elia" The good die hard ones usually laugh at this one and then we can talk baseball

"Your a cubs fan? Yea, OK whos the pitching coach?" See first question

Actually most cub fans are some of the nicest persons I know. And they almost always root for the Sox secondary(leaving me feeling somewhat guilty for me views on cubdumb)

So just because someone doesnt know the pitching coach they are not a real fan?:rolleyes:

jenn2080
05-05-2008, 09:08 AM
I've hated the Cubs since I was about ten years old. Given that I'm ancient, that was WAYYY before it was cool to be a Cubs fan. The fans had nothing to do with it. I can't really point a finger at what triggered my hatred.

I know a lot of people who are like that. I get it, but I don't understand it. My uncle is a huge Cubs fan and doesn't even want to hear about the Sox. I was shocked he even let me turn them on yesterday.

I think me moving to North Side had a little bit to do with me having more tolerance for the Cubs and their fans. I care a lot less about them now than I did 5 years ago and the Sox winning the World Series has absolutely nothing to do with it.

alohafri
05-05-2008, 09:26 AM
The cub fans and Sox fans on my staff have some good reparte going on. It was a cub fan who started the "When does Kerry Wood Go On The DL" pool. They get it.

Now, I know some other cub fans who don't. "Why don't you quit talking about 2005." My response is "Why don't you quit talking about attendance. It has gotten you nothing."

eriqjaffe
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I think he asks in interviews "Cubs or Sox".There's a guy here who I know asks that in interviews (he's told me so, actually) - but despite that, he's always very respectful when the Sox do well, even though he openly roots against them.

Apparently, his Cub-fan-dom doesn't influence his hiring, since he just hired a Cardinals fan.

MsSoxVixen22
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Yes....the family that owns the company I work for are Cub fans and there's also alot of them here. They don't hesitate to start **** with me. I give it right back and I always tell them, when you have Championship banners hanging in your park, then come back and talk to me! They're relentless though! I don't brag or gloat when the Sox win but if the Sox lose the Cub fans here make sure I hear about it. I try and ignore it and not let it get to me, but it's just so damn irritating sometimes! My boyfriend is a Cubs fan but he isn't a diehard fan by any means. He likes to give me **** about the Sox every now and then but it's just good natured teasing. I couldn't date a Cub fan that was an ******* about it!

alohafri
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
My immediate supervisor is a Sox fan. I think he asks in interviews "Cubs or Sox".

LOL We get the chance to interview potential teaching teammates and that is a question I ask in ALL interviews.

ondafarm
05-05-2008, 10:18 AM
There's a guy here who I know asks that in interviews (he's told me so, actually) - but despite that, he's always very respectful when the Sox do well, even though he openly roots against them.

Apparently, his Cub-fan-dom doesn't influence his hiring, since he just hired a Cardinals fan.

Okay, I'm not in charge of hiring, but I am a regular on the interview team, I would never let baseball allegiance (unless it was Yankee fandom) get in the way of hiring a good person who I thought could do the job.

cws05champ
05-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I partly agree with you. Yes maybe 60% of the Cubs fans are clueless, but there is alot of good knowledgible Cub fans who really know the game. I use to root for both up until 84 when I lived in Round Lake. But as time wore on i just couldn't stand the media propaganda and everyone telling me I should be a Cubs fan becuse they are the only team in town and becuse of wrigley etc etc.Now as the years went on it's almost unbearable to be around todays Cubs fan listening them talk about how rich the "tradition" and how great the park is.(teal)
I can't say that I hated the Cubs when I was growing up...I just did not pay them that much attention compared with the Sox. In the mid to late 90's I was able to go to a lot of games(30+ Sox and a handful of Cubs games). I have a lot of Cub fan friends and they asked if I was interested in splitting a cubs season tick package back in 97(6 way split). Since I was a big baseball fan and lived just 4 red line stops away, I agreed. Over that season my hatred for the Cub fan base grew exponetially, having to deal with many morons in their new Sosa jerseys that knew nothing about baseball.

At a company party in 2003 with about 300 people, 175 from out of town and the rest from the area, it was game 6 of the NLCS. The presentations ended in time for them to put the Cubs/Marlins game on the jumbo screens around the 7th inning. In the next 30 minutes, only me and about 7 other people were smiling about what transpired in the 8th. Since I had since moved to Miami, most that didn't know me just thought I was happy about the Marlins.

goon
05-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Work with?! My god I'm RELATED to Cub fans! I'm legally going to change my name and get plastic surgery though, it's all good yall.

white sox bill
05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
So just because someone doesnt know the pitching coach they are not a real fan?:rolleyes:

Think thats bad the next question is "Who pinched hit for Sammy on April 23 2003 in the 7th inning vs the Padres?" Teal intended:smile:

OK Jen, maybe not the pitching coach but at least the shortstop!:smile:

October26
05-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Yes, I work with lots of fans of the Chicago Cubs. I have lived on the north side of Chicago for over 40 years now and it is impossible not to come in contact with them at work, while shopping and or living next to them. In my dreamworld, I work in Bridgeport surrounded by all Sox fans. But that will never happen, because there are Cubs fans in Bridgeport too.

Here's an interesting observation about how things have changed in my neighborhood where I have lived for the last 15 years (vicinity of Irving and Elston on Chicago's north side). When I first moved to to my home in 1993, I think I saw one other White Sox logo (on a t-shirt or a car sticker). Cubs crap was everywhere. Twenty years ago, White sox merchandise was not marketed and available as it is now. Thankfully, the internet has connected people across the world and I am so grateful for this. I love WSI!

Now, I smile every time I see a Sox logo on shirts, hats, jackets, stickers etc in my neighborhood, at work, downtown etc. I am happy that our fan base is expanding and I try to smile at every Sox fan that I see.

tony1972
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
yes...and I really don't care anymore..I used to get annoyed and argue..but it's not really worth it (I mean..it IS A GAME)...there are more important things in life...:scratch:

minutia
05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I work with Cub fans and by and large thye are pretty cool. I just let them have their fun and when they get to be too much I just point to my picture of the 2005 Sox storming the field after the final out of the WS and they back down. I just don't see the point in arguing with them. We just have fundemental differences as far as baseball is concerned.
I will say that on my match.com profile I make a point of pointing out that I am a Sox fan and how that a fan of another team could put us at odds.

KnightSox
05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
I work with quite a few curse blaming, Bartman bashing, black cat fearing meatheads. What gets me is that every time the Sox/Cubs conversation comes up, I have to bow out cause they seriously have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

I always tell them that there is a good chance that they will NEVER see a champion on the North side before they are dead, while I will die a happy man. :tongue:

twsoxfan5
05-05-2008, 04:13 PM
I work with mostly Cub fans and we don't get into too many arguments. Mostly b/c they know I am unintersted in what their team does. If they want to talk baseball and are interested in what I think is good/bad about their team I am happy to share my thoughts. There is cub fan in my office who texts his sox fan buddies everytime the sox do something bad and they in turn do the same to him. I always ask him if that gets exhausting, but he usually ignores me. Today he asked me if my team was going to get swept and I said, "maybe, I don't know." I think that bugs him b/c he wants some sort of Cub bashing reply and he never gets that from me.

Hitmen77
05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
The Cub fans here fall into the following categories:
a) the type that say they don't really like baseball, but like the Cubs and hate the Sox.
b) people who moved to Chicago from out of town, instantly became Cub fans and act like they know more about Chicago than those of us who have lived here all our lives.
This is not an exaggeration. There really aren't many Cub fans here that really care about baseball to have much of a discussion about anything.

rdwj
05-05-2008, 05:30 PM
The Cub fans here fall into the following categories: a) the type that say they don't really like baseball, but like the Cubs and hate the Sox.

b) people who moved to Chicago from out of town, instantly became Cub fans and act like they know more about Chicago than those of us who have lived here all our lives.
This is not an exaggeration. There really aren't many Cub fans here that really care about baseball to have much of a discussion about anything.

Hmmmm, I know plenty of long-time, Chicago raised, baseball fan Cub fans. I have plenty of family members and friends that fall into the category. I'd say it's a HUGE exaggeration.

Hitmen77
05-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Hmmmm, I know plenty of long-time, Chicago raised, baseball fan Cub fans. I have plenty of family members and friends that fall into the category. I'd say it's a HUGE exaggeration.

:scratch:

Am I missing something? The subject of this thread clearly is about Cub fans you work with.....right????

I don't at all dispute what you are saying about the Chicago population in general. But, I'm talking about the specific individuals at my place of employment. I hope you are just misreading what I was talking about and not suggesting that you know my co-workers better than I do.

MeteorsSox4367
05-05-2008, 05:47 PM

I'll second that. One of my ex-bosses with whom I still keep in touch is a diehard Cubs fan. Like another good friend of mine who is also a diehard Cubs fan, these are the kind of guys who can tell you what Billy Williams hit on Sundays against lefthanded pitching in 1968. Their passion for the Cubs is on par with mine for the Sox.

My brother-in-law also is a Cubs fan and is raising my three nephews as Cubs fans. While my brother-in-law isn't as hardcore as my ex-boss and my other friend, he knows the game and follows his team.

With all three guys, I can have pretty solid baseball discussions. They just happen to be rooting for the wrong team.

On the other hand, I also work with someone now who isn't originally from Chicago, lives on the North Side and doesn't like to fly out of Midway because it's on the South Side (honestly). He loves the Cubs and always gave/gives me crap about being a South Sider and Sox fan.

I'll usually respond with something about 2005 when I want that conversation to end.

Beer Can Chicken
05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
There are plenty of cubs fans at my office that grew up here and know just as much about the cubs as I know about the SOX. They aren't really that obnoxious about their loves of the scrubs either. But I hated that cubs a lot more pre-2005 so maybe it all rolls off of me easier. Ever since we won the series, I just dont have the same passionate disdain for them (I still dont want to see them win)

Hitmen77
05-05-2008, 05:51 PM

I'll second that. One of my ex-bosses with whom I still keep in touch is a diehard Cubs fan. Like another good friend of mine who is also a diehard Cubs fan, these are the kind of guys who can tell you what Billy Williams hit on Sundays against lefthanded pitching in 1968. Their passion for the Cubs is on par with mine for the Sox.

My brother-in-law also is a Cubs fan and is raising my three nephews as Cubs fans. While my brother-in-law isn't as hardcore as my ex-boss and my other friend, he knows the game and follows his team.....

Again, I'm talking about the people in my particular office (because that was the question asked for this thread) and not about Chicago fans in general. Am I missing the meaning of this thread? If so, then perhaps the title should be changed to "Anyone else know any Cub fans?" to avoid confusion.

....but then again, maybe I'm just a little slow today. If we're talking about Cub fans in general at workplaces everywhere, then I retract my original statement because I agree that the sampling of people in my office doesn't represent fans everywhere.

Sad
05-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I work with Twins fans... much worse in my world...
and let me tell ya... They're yipping! :mad:

Scottzilla
05-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I was talking to a newer person in my office, and in a span of two minutes told me that she didn't like baseball and that she was a Cub fan. I followed that up with, "wait, I thought you didn't like baseball." She said, like it was perfectly reasonable, "I don't - it's boring". :?:

That is perfectly logical, you'd have to hate baseball to be a cubs fan would'nt you?

I wear my sox hat to work every day - it's sitting on my desk right now. I don't talk about sports much with people I don't know that well, It's worse than discussing politics.

rdwj
05-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't talk about sports much with people I don't know that well, It's worse than discussing politics.

I do it all the time. If I see someone with a jersey or hat and I'm borded, I try to strike up a conversation. I don't rip their team, just ask what they thought about something recent. I'm often amazed at how many people, decked out in a jersey and hat combo (most often Cubs), have no idea what's going on with their team. Seems like if you're going to spend a couple hundred on team gear, you should kinda follow that team.

soxpride724
05-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I do it all the time. If I see someone with a jersey or hat and I'm borded, I try to strike up a conversation. I don't rip their team, just ask what they thought about something recent. I'm often amazed at how many people, decked out in a jersey and hat combo (most often Cubs), have no idea what's going on with their team. Seems like if you're going to spend a couple hundred on team gear, you should kinda follow that team.

Lol, I know what you mean. I have Cub fans asking me if certain players are still on thier team, and theese are players that have been gone since last summers trade deadline.

TheVulture
05-09-2008, 10:49 AM

You're right, they are idiots.

Stringer
05-10-2008, 05:18 AM
yes...and I really don't care anymore..I used to get annoyed and argue..but it's not really worth it (I mean..it IS A GAME)...there are more important things in life...:scratch:

Cosign

Its a waste of time trying to reason with these people and it always ends the same

I won't go out my way to talk mess to them but if one of them starts talking reckless then I'll go upside a head

tick53
05-10-2008, 08:51 AM
There are 13 people where I work. Two Sox fans, including myself, four Cubs fans, one Brewers fan and the remaining ones hate baseball.

Scottiehaswheels
05-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I work with one other Sox "fan", prolly a dozen Cub WGN "fans" and one guy that actually lived up north, a couple Reds fans, a Cardinal fan, and an Indians fan. I can really only talk baseball with the Reds/Indians/Cardinal fans. I'm easily the biggest baseball fan here. I'm pretty sure I'm known mostly as the guy with a dozen Sox dress shirts that I rotate in/out of on day shifts. People are actually shocked on days I don't wear one, wife too. :cool: People down here don't generally get the hate/hate dynamic between Sox/Cubs fans though. The guy that is a Cub fan from up north doesn't care for me much though. :)

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm known mostly as the guy with a dozen Sox dress shirts that I rotate in/out of on day shifts. People are actually shocked on days I don't wear one, wife too. :cool:

That's pretty funny, Scottie.

Everyone at work knows about my team preferences. There is, in fact, one colleague of mine who will never refer to me using my real name. I haven't heard her ONCE refer to me as "Heather" or "Ms. <insert last name>." Instead, whenever we're in passing in the hall or anything, it's "Hi, White Sox!!!" This has been going on for over three years now, and I think it's funny.

twentywontowin
05-10-2008, 01:49 PM
We're pretty mixed around the office, 50/50 Sox/Cubs fans. But for the most part, not everyone is too up on the game as much as I. The only other real hardcore baseball fan in my office is a Yankees fan (from NJ) and he knows his stuff.

But my office is a Blackhawks office, bunch of old school hockey fans.

Madscout
05-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I love the line about a DVD of the Cubs last World Series victory, I'll have to remember that one.

After they fail to produce a DVD, you can ask for VHS or television highlights.

whitesox901
05-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Dont work with any Cubs fans, but my sophmore year a Cub fan sat at my lunch table, only god knows why their wasnt some sort of hxc food fight started :D:

Boondock Saint
05-17-2008, 05:10 PM
The Cub fans I work with are also my friends outside work, so more often than not it's just playful ribbing back and forth. But that's not to say that they're knowledgable baseball fans, either. Often is the time I slip and attempt to throw meaningful stats into the conversations, only to get "Yeah, but he sucks" or "Yeah, but he hit a home run last night" in return. Whatever.