PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

ChiSoxIn06
05-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Is it possible that our lineup isn't as good as we think it is? We keep saying on paper this is a good lineup...but is it really? Granted Konerko, Dye, and Thome have a track record of good seasons but is it possible that they just aren't as good right now as we think they are? I am not trying to be a "dark cloud" or anything like that but I have been watching this team the last 2.5 years and am almost convinced that we are over valuing our lineup. Not really sure where I'm really going with this, just throwing in my 2 cents and venting my frustration a bit.

/rant

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Who's "we?" I'm sure there are as many different opinions on the strength of this current lineup as there are posters on this board. I'm still trying to get some kind of a read on this club. For years now, every time I think I have baseball figured out, I'm immediately proven wrong.

Of course, I'm a slow learner.

balke
05-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Crappy game last night, crappy play as of late. I don't want to put the blame on any players to pick out, but I still think they should be hitting much better than this.

Okay to pick one guy out, what the hell was Dye swinging at last night? He swung at so many bad pitches. Its like they are getting away from the approach of being patient. They need to stay patient I think. They will have overall success if men are on base all season, at some point they will be knocked in enough to win. No need to go for the homerun right away.

btrain929
05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Crappy game last night, crappy play as of late. I don't want to put the blame on any players to pick out, but I still think they should be hitting much better than this.

Okay to pick one guy out, what the hell was Dye swinging at last night? He swung at so many bad pitches. Its like they are getting away from the approach of being patient. They need to stay patient I think. They will have overall success if men are on base all season, at some point they will be knocked in enough to win. No need to go for the homerun right away.

He's looked like utter garbage since he returned from his injury, like he's guessing on every pitch and not actually trying to read the pitch.

I understand what the original poster is saying. We had a great stretch from Konerko, caught a few productive years at the end of Thome's career, and are now seeing that '06 was an exception to JD's career, not the rule. We need to make a splash in the offseason to get a couple of boppers in here that can replace them in the middle of the order. Quentin and Swisher should/will be in the middle of our lineup for years to come, hopefully starting in '09. Swisher isn't a leadoff hitter, and isn't comfortable there. It might be okay for the first few months, but we are taking the bat right out of his hands right now.

Hopefully in this year's draft which is deep at the 1B position, we draft someone that will mash thru our system and be ready to contribute by '10-'11 (Hosmer, Smoak, Alonso, etc).

These guys might bounce back a little bit, but overall, we've seen their best years, and need to start preparing accordingly.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-03-2008, 08:11 AM
we're still going to score a lot of runs - but it'll be 12 in one game followed by 1 or 2 in the next couple. really, it's the same kind of offense that we had with the jose valentin's of the world swinging for the fences every at bat.

GBORN
05-03-2008, 08:49 AM

Reminds me of my high school baseball coach. He used to say, "You've got crap in one hand, and crap in the other...you put it together, you've still got crap."

That being said, I think we can put together a lineup and field a team that is not so crappy. I'm not goint to panic yet, but we better get the bats going!

Steelrod
05-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Who's "we?" I'm sure there are as many different opinions on the strength of this current lineup as there are posters on this board. I'm still trying to get some kind of a read on this club. For years now, every time I think I have baseball figured out, I'm immediately proven wrong.

Of course, I'm a slow learner.
You are in good company. I am sure that 20-25 GM's think that this year is the year.

KyWhiSoxFan
05-03-2008, 09:22 AM
When you're last in hitting two years in a row, and hitting .237 this year, it is not coincidence. This team does not hit well. I have no reason to believe they will magically turn things around and be batting .260 as a team come October.

For everyone who says it is only a matter of time before they start hitting--the argument being these are veterans--the statistics say that will not likely happen. It is an aging lineup and these guy are not going to return to their career averages.

Look at the infusion of a young, lively bat, in Carlos Quentin, and if you can multiply that by a few more guys in the order you would have something. But he's surrounded by slow, aging hitters.

Their only chance to succeed is timely hitting, with men on base, and they have been okay there, but that's a tough way to opeate on a daily basis for a grind of 162 games.

Jurr
05-03-2008, 09:28 AM
It is definitely NOT a coincidence, and I don't believe that it is strictly a byproduct of Walker's coaching. It has to do with the lack of options this offense possesses and also the utter refusal of the middle of the lineup to cut down swings.