PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Wear a ribbon for Burls 5-2 postgame thread

DumpJerry
05-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Some offense would have been nice.:angry:

Thank you Burls, we apologize on behalf of your teammates.

turners56
05-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Ok, it might be time to panic now.

If Detroit wins, they'll be half a game back, Cleveland is already only a game back.

kevingrt
05-02-2008, 08:20 PM
another cy young on the mound facing the sox... we must just be bad luck

SoxandtheCityTee
Tough road trip so far.

October26
Sox offense was pathetic. :angry: I feel bad for Burls tonite - he did not deserve this loss.

Hitmen77
8.0 IP 0 ER....

What's wrong with Buehrle this year?

thomas35forever
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Buehrle needs to beat the crap out of Crede...tonight. I don't care if he gets hurt so bad we have to bring up Fields. Something needs to happen soon or injuries aren't gonna matter.

turners56
another cy young on the mound facing the sox... we must just be bad luck

Marcum was good before this, but today was just unacceptable. Two hits? Two? By the same guy? Ugh, maybe some of you guys were right, fire Greg Walker.

Jurr
This is the same exact crap we've seen out of this offense SINCE THE ALL STAR BREAK in 06. Look up the numbers. Ridiculous.

whitesoxfan
Just like last year.

Right now, we're the AL version of the Padres.

Jerko
05-02-2008, 08:22 PM
They really needed FIVE pitchers to shut us down?? We'll wear out their bullpen by Monday!!!

JB98
In Buehrle's three losses, the offense has scored a grand total of ONE RUN. And don't even get me started about the unearned runs the opposition has scored off Mark this year.

We haven't won a game since Sunday, and I'm ****ing pissed. :angry:

Hitmen77
....at least they got the game done nice and early. I wouldn't want the Sox to have to work late or anything.

Don't worry, we're just in a 2 year hitting slump. :angry:

DumpJerry
Somewhere, Scott Borass is pissed off.....

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
A horse **** effort from a horse **** team. Changes need to be made and they need to be made NOW.

peeonwrigley
Can't someone hit the ****ing ball? This team pisses me off on a nightly basis. I don't care if its not Walker's fault, some new blood in that dept. would probably be a good thing for some of these guys.

Soxworldchamps
Is it just me or does Buehrle lose 2-0 against the Jays a lot?

oeo
This is the same exact crap we've seen out of this offense SINCE THE ALL STAR BREAK in 06. Look up the numbers. Ridiculous.

It's not the same offense.

I'm not a believer in your "pressing" theory at all. This was a new year, and all pressure was taken off with fast starts from Swisher, Dye, Quentin, and Crede (all but Quentin has since cooled off). They just look dead up there. Swisher is maybe the one guy (excluding Quentin, and Cabrera today...the first time he's showed up all year on both sides of the field) in the entire lineup that doesn't look completely lost.

Dye and Thome look like I would at the plate...just dreadful AB after dreadful AB.

kevingrt
05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Buehrle needs to beat the crap out of Crede...tonight. I don't care if he gets hurt so bad we have to bring up Fields. Something needs to happen soon or injuries aren't gonna matter.

Watch out there slugger... umm even so, we can't score 3 runs, we cannot even had three hits off a VERY VERY MEDIOCRE Marcum

did I mention Marcum is VERY MEDIOCRE

chisoxmike
This team is a joke.

Same **** year in and year out with this lot. What an uninspired group of players.

It's time for people to be held accountable.

whitesoxfan
Can't someone hit the ****ing ball? This team pisses me off on a nightly basis. I don't care if its not Walker's fault, some new blood in that dept. would probably be a good thing for some of these guys.

That's exactly why I want to see him canned. Just fire him to make a point and show the team that we're not standing for the same **** that happened last year.

veeter
They've hit rock bottom now. Two hits. Tomorrow's game means a lot IMO, how they bounce back. But I will never accept the comparisons to 2007. This team is full of studs and they will turn it around.

Foulke You
05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm looking at all the good hitters in our lineup and wondering how they ALL could be slumping at the same time. Even the newcomers have been scuffling and hitting below their career #s besides Quentin. I hate the knee jerk reactions of firing the hitting coach but in this instance and after the dismal showing in 2007, you almost HAVE to think that Greg Walker is on thin ice right now.

Corlose 15
Watch out there slugger... umm even so, we can't score 3 runs, we cannot even had three hits off a VERY VERY MEDIOCRE Marcum

did I mention Marcum is VERY MEDIOCRE

No he's not.

LoveYourSuit

If Detroit wins, they'll be half a game back, Cleveland is already only a game back.

KC and MINN not too far back either..... I guess last place is there for the taking also.

turners56
05-02-2008, 08:26 PM
No he's not.

Marcum is a good pitcher, like Halladay, he gets no run support either. However, we managed to give Buehrle even less today.

thomas35forever
05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Marcum is a good pitcher, like Halladay, he gets no run support either. However, we managed to give Buehrle even less today.
Is it just me or is Buehrle becoming this year's version of last year's John Danks?

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
This team is a joke.

Same **** year in and year out with this lot. What an uninspired group of players.

It's time for people to be held accountable.
I think accountability starts at the top...I'm sick of seeing these right handed power hitting teams get shut down year after year...some sort of change needs to be made in the line up. I don't know if they're "pressing" or if they just ****ing suck, but I for one am getting sick of seeing our leadoff guy fail to get on base night after night. ****, I'm sick of not seeing anyone get on. Somebody needs to be benched, the question is who?

DumpJerry
05-02-2008, 08:28 PM
KC and MINN not too far back either..... I guess last place is there for the taking also.
KC and Minn were rained out tonight. [teal] :bandance: [teal]

turners56
Is it just me or is Buehrle becoming this year's version of last year's John Danks?

Buehrle's been given this crap before. 2004 was a good example.

thomas35forever
My dad just said the following: "They're done. Their season is over with."

SOXBOY
2007 all over again.

turners56
I think accountability starts at the top...I'm sick of seeing these right handed power hitting teams get shut down year after year...some sort of change needs to be made in the line up. I don't know if they're "pressing" or if they just ****ing suck, but I for one am getting sick of seeing our leadoff guy fail to get on base night after night. ****, I'm sick of not seeing anyone get on. Somebody needs to be benched, the question is who?

I think Swisher got tired of walking and decided it was a good idea to start and try to hit for power. I think his stay as the leadoff man is about to end.

LoveYourSuit
Is it just me or does Buehrle lose 2-0 against the Jays a lot?

Same way Jenks blows every game vs the Orioles.... I think it is all bull **** stats. I am tired of dumb stats.

Stats that count.

1 game over .500

Team Batting aveage in the .230s

kaufsox
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM

Stop talking sense!

turners56

A bit too early, but it is definitely time to panic.

Jurr
It's not the same offense.

I'm not a believer in your "pressing" theory at all. This was a new year, and all pressure was taken off with fast starts from Swisher, Dye, Quentin, and Crede (all but Quentin has since cooled off). They just look dead up there.
They just look dead? You don't think this team wants to win? Poppycock. Utter ****ing rubbish.
The team was patient at the plate for all of two weeks, and it stopped. They are pressing, which causes them to not see the ball as well. It's simple biology. Have you ever had the yips in a pressure situation? Know how that heart rate gets up a little? That's what happens when you're not relaxed. It screws everything up.

This is an offense that is looking for quick returns to fire up the team, and it's killing the whole process. It has been this way for a LONG time (well, maybe not the first half of 2005 and that postseason). Other than that...same old ****.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 08:30 PM

The only way we don't lose ground these days is by other teams not playing ....very sad.

WhiteSox5187
They've hit rock bottom now. Two hits. Tomorrow's game means a lot IMO, how they bounce back. But I will never accept the comparisons to 2007. This team is full of studs and they will turn it around.
We have the EXACT same heart of hte order, the only difference is instead of having Pods and Erstad leading off our "studs" are now Swish and Cabrera who are putting up similar numbers to Pods and Erstad last year. The only guy we are getting production out of this year that we weren't getting production out of last year is Quentin. AJ is hitting a bit better too, but really minus CQ everyone is in a slump just like last year. Maybe we just need to wait for it to get warmer.

oeo
I know a lot of people forgot it, because of the terrible offensive performance, but what the **** was with that throw by Crede? Ends up costing the game because he doesn't want to put any juice on the ball.

turners56
They just look dead? You don't think this team wants to win? Poppycock. Utter ****ing rubbish.
The team was patient at the plate for all of two weeks, and it stopped. They are pressing, which causes them to not see the ball as well. It's simple biology. Have you ever had the yips in a pressure situation? Know how that heart rate gets up a little? That's what happens when you're not relaxed. It screws everything up.

This is an offense that is looking for quick returns to fire up the team, and it's killing the whole process. It has been this way for a LONG time (well, maybe not the first half of 2005 and that postseason). Other than that...same old ****.

And this pressing is probably Greg Walker's fault. He needs to get into the players' heads and show them some tape of what they can do when they take pitches and make pitchers throw strikes. All of this goes back to only two weeks ago.

cheezheadsoxfan
Even Rongey just announced "this sucks"!

The error was costly but dammit we should be able to get 3 runs! At least Burls ERA will go down, although I'm sure he'd rather have the win.

I've stayed out of the Greg Walker thing, but something has to be done. If the hitting sucks (especially with historically good hitters) the hitting coach has to be held accountable. Maybe he can't do much mechanically with the veterans, but evidently he can't motivate anyone either.

Jerko
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
The only way we don't lose ground these days is by other teams not playing ....very sad.

Minny is at home. KC and CLE got rained out. We lost half a game to them, and one to whoever wins Minny/Detroit.

thomas35forever
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
The error was costly but dammit we should be able to get 3 runs! At least Burls ERA will go down, although I'm sure he'd rather have the win.
At least it's good for my fantasy team minus the loss.

turners56
05-02-2008, 08:32 PM
The Ranger said something interesting, like last year, we're starting to collapse just like last year on the same exact roadtrip. Sox went to Minnesota and Toronto last year during this time and we sucked. Oh brother...I don't want a repeat of a 70 win season.

sox1970
05-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I think just for the hell of it, maybe bat Cabrera leadoff tomorrow.

Do something whacky like:

Cabrera
Quentin
Swisher
Konerko
Crede
Thome
Dye
Pierzynski
Uribe

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I think Swisher got tired of walking and decided it was a good idea to start and try to hit for power. I think his stay as the leadoff man is about to end.
Who the **** replaces him? Who do we have in this lineup that is hitting any better than Swish right now? There isn't anyone because they all ****ing suck. It might be time to begin the Jerry Owens experiment again. Some are going to ask "Well who do you bench?" Well right now we have two outfielders who look to be flat out lost at the plate, take your pick.

turners56
05-02-2008, 08:34 PM

Cabrera
Quentin
Swisher
Konerko
Crede
Thome
Dye
Anderson
Uribe

Quentin second?

If anything flip flop Cabrera and Quentin. Or start Ozuna tomorrow and lead him off. It's temporary, but we need to get back on track. We haven't played good baseball since game 3 of the Orioles series.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I haven't forgotten it. It's a scoreless tie for 9 without that error. Who knows what might have happened.

As noted in the game thread, if Paulie couldn't PH with the sacks packed he must really be hurting. There's lots to worry about.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 08:35 PM
I haven't forgotten it. It's a scoreless tie for 9 without that error. Who knows what might have happened.

As noted in the game thread, if Paulie couldn't PH with the sacks packed he must really be hurting. There's lots to worry about.
We would have been shut down for ten innings then.

JB98

Cabrera
Quentin
Swisher
Konerko
Crede
Thome
Dye
Anderson
Uribe

I was thinking he should flip-flop Swisher and Cabrera. Get Konerko back in there, for crying out ****ing loud. Who gives a **** if he's "not quite" 100 percent? Drop Dye's slumping ass down to sixth or seventh and move AJ and Quentin up a spot.

QCIASOXFAN
The Ranger said something interesting, like last year, we're starting to collapse just like last year on the same exact roadtrip. Sox went to Minnesota and Toronto last year during this time and we sucked. Oh brother...I don't want a repeat of a 70 win season.
I was thinking the same thing. This team is following in the exact same footsteps of last year.

sox1970
05-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I was thinking he should flip-flop Swisher and Cabrera. Get Konerko back in there, for crying out ****ing loud. Who gives a **** if he's "not quite" 100 percent? Drop Dye's slumping ass down to sixth or seventh and move AJ and Quentin up a spot.

I forgot a catcher and edited.

cheezheadsoxfan
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this seem to date to JD getting hurt?

JB98

Konerko says he's ready to play. He had a long discussion with Ozzie today, trying to convince the manager that he's ready. Ozzie said no.

Cowley said Paul took BP today. He could have hit.

aryzner
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Dear White Sox,

Do you want to hire ME to bat for you? I can't possibly be any worse than you guys. I just might be better.

Sincerely,

Andy

:angry:

cheezheadsoxfan
We would have been shut down for ten innings then.

And our BP would probably have coughed it up.

LoveYourSuit
I know a lot of people forgot it, because of the terrible offensive performance, but what the **** was with that throw by Crede? Ends up costing the game because he doesn't want to put any juice on the ball.

I can't blame Crede for an offense not deciding to show up.

The Sox were on pace today to score 0 runs even if we played 17 innings. So removing Crede's error gives us a 0-0 tie right now and we weren't going to score a run ever tonight, that's my faith on that offense

Crede will win more games with the glove than lose them. Errors are rare and few and are part of the game. Bad offenses to magnitude of this Sox offense is unacceptable for a team with the 4th highest payroll in baseball.

btrain929
05-02-2008, 08:38 PM
And this pressing is probably Greg Walker's fault. He needs to get into the players' heads and show them some tape of what they can do when they take pitches and make pitchers throw strikes. All of this goes back to only two weeks ago.

Except everyone is taking the first pitch, which lately about 90% of the time its a strike right down the ****ing middle. Then they are down 0-1 and see changeups and nasty curveballs until they K. I'm all for being patient, if the pitcher can't find the strikezone, or the first time thru the lineup. But as the game goes on, there's no need to keep taking that first pitch for a strike, because more than likely its the best pitch you're going to see.

oeo

This started before the roadtrip.

I mentioned it in the game thread: not to say we're going to get the same result as last year, but we saw this snowball last year...they need to get things fixed before that happens again.

There's too many disappointed looks, and heads hanging for my liking. What happened to the energy from the first two weeks? I'm stumped as to how they went from high energy to long faces in such a short amount of time.

soxfan44

Your dad is a smart man.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 08:39 PM

Ranger actually going against the company line and talking negative ....KUDOS.

Pass the memo to the puppets on the TV booth Ranger.

cws05champ
You think we could use Owens Speed and energy right about now? No...lets just bring up Adam Russell for 4 game. Great, Makes sense!!!

thomas35forever

The Sox were on pace today to score 0 runs even if we played 17 innings. So removing Crede's error gives us a 0-0 tie right now and we weren't going to score a run ever tonight, that's my faith on that offense

Crede will win more games with the glove than lose them. Errors are rare and few and are part of the game. Bad offenses to magnitude of this Sox offense is unacceptable for a team with the 4th highest payroll in baseball.
So you're saying Crede saved the offense from further embarrassment tonight by making those errors, thus allowing those unearned runs? From what I'm hearing, it sounds like they couldn't score if they played for 50 innings.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-02-2008, 08:40 PM

Well put. I totally agree.

btrain929
05-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Quentin second?

If anything flip flop Cabrera and Quentin. Or start Ozuna tomorrow and lead him off. It's temporary, but we need to get back on track. We haven't played good baseball since game 3 of the Orioles series.

We need a leadoff hitting 2b bad.....

btrain929
05-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Put Konerko back in the lineup when he's not 100% and he's gonna give you production very similar to the 1st half Jermaine Dye put up in '07 when he had his leg problem.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Ranger actually going against the company line and talking negative ....KUDOS.

Pass the memo to the puppets on the TV booth Ranger.
I like Ranger, but knocking the product could wind up costing him his job.

oeo
05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Opponents are batting .314 against the Blue Jay's starting pitcher tomorrow. If we can't muster up some hits against this guy, then a major shakeup needs to happen.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-02-2008, 08:45 PM

He keeps defending Walker so that should keep in good graces.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Opponents are batting .314 against the Blue Jay's starting pitcher tomorrow. If we can't muster up some hits against this guy, then a major shakeup needs to happen.
I think it's blatantly apparent that some sort of shake up needs to happen now!

JB98
Put Konerko back in the lineup when he's not 100% and he's gonna give you production very similar to the 1st half Jermaine Dye put up in '07 when he had his leg problem.

I don't think you realize how often these guys play at less than 100 percent.

GBORN

I wouldn't go that far. But I bet we're not in first place after the weekend.

:chickenlittle

LoveYourSuit

I hope not.

But once in a while you need your anouncers to side with the frustration we as fans are having.

I think the front office will not disagree one bit with what Ranger said. Better the media saying it rather than Kenny going into the locker room to turn tables over to light this lifeless team up.

btrain929

All that means is that pitcher is due for a good outing, like when we faced Mussina. He was getting rocked all year, then he turned into Cy Young when we dug in against him...

soxfan44
05-02-2008, 08:47 PM

Agreed. Crede is definitely NOT solely to blame for tonight's game. Besides, there will be 10 games this year he saves us with his glove.

One thing no one has brought up is pitching to Shannon Stewart. He and Vernon Wells KILL Buehrle. There was a base open with a lefty (Overbay) up who has done terribly against Buerhle. It was either 3-1 or 3-2 when he got his two run hit.

oeo

We had to listen to Hawk and DJ all game trying to cover everything up with the 'everything is fine' talks. You could tell they were blatantly lying. DJ hit about a 15 on the annoy-o-meter tonight.

Good for Rongey...if he's fired for this, then the Sox are morons. If they play like ****, then they shouldn't be getting any props.

btrain929
I hope not.

But once in a while you need your anouncers to side with the frustration we as fans are having.

I think the front office will not disagree one bit with what Ranger said. Better the media saying it rather than Kenny going into the locker room to turn tables over to light this lifeless team up.

Doesn't Ranger work for the Score, not the White Sox directly? All the other personalities on there bash the Sox when things aren't going good. What's the difference?

DickAllen72
05-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Anytime Jim Thome wants to start contributing to this offense wouldn't be a minute too soon for me. He makes the big bucks and is cemented in at the three hole so he's got to start pulling his weight.

I'd like to see Quentin bumped up to third in the lineup and move Thome down to fifth for a while.

Konerko and Dye better start producing as well. When was the last time Thome, Konerko and Dye all were producing at the same time for any extended period? Early 2006, if ever???

kaufsox
05-02-2008, 08:49 PM

didn't Ozzie say this was going to happen this year? A "big" change from 2007?

DickAllen72
05-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Agreed. Crede is definitely NOT solely to blame for tonight's game. Besides, there will be 10 games this year he saves us with his glove.

I agree with that.

The one thing this team needs is a difference maker--a legitimate number three hitter who can be counted on to drive in the key runs day in and day out.

thomas35forever
The only "change" that has happened so far is that it's a new year.

oeo
Anytime Jim Thome wants to start contributing to this offense wouldn't be a minute too soon for me. He makes the big bucks and is cemented in at the three hole so he's got to start pulling his weight.

I'd like to see Quentin bumped up to third in the lineup and move Thome down to fifth for a while.

Konerko and Dye better start producing as well. When was the last time Thome, Konerko and Dye all were producing at the same time for any extended period? Early 2006, if ever???

The only guy that is producing everyday is Quentin right now. Cabrera had a good game, hopefully thats the sign of things to come for him. But other than that, its been crap, crap, crap.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
We had to listen to Hawk and DJ all game trying to cover everything up with the 'everything is fine' talks. You could tell they were blatantly lying. DJ hit about a 15 on the annoy-o-meter tonight.

Good for Rongey...if he's fired for this, then the Sox are morons. If they play like ****, then they shouldn't be getting any props.
I agree, but mind you, Harry lost his job here for being critical. There's a reason Hawk has been around here for so long, and that's because he doesn't cross Jerry or the GM (except of course for Roland Hemond who might have been the best GM we've had while he's been here).

btrain929
05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I agree with that.

The one thing this team needs is a difference maker--a legitimate number three hitter who can be counted on to drive in the key runs day in and day out.

Adam Dunn is a free agent next year.....(half teal)

sox1970
05-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree with that.

I'm all for finding out if TCQ is the guy.

They HAVE to shuffle the lineup tomorrow.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree with that.

I'd like to see guys get on for the three hitter to drive in.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I still don't think this team is as bad as '07, and this coming from a very frustrated negative Sox fan right now.

The Starting Pitching this year is head and shoulders better than last year and the bullpen is still iffy but so much better than the crap from last season.

The offense last year had a cast of Terrero, Gonzalez, Erstad, and other garbage compared to a pretty solid line up 1-8 this year.

The biggest difference besides the above is that this division is there for the taking with two quality teams in Det and Cle getting off to very unexpected slow starts.

Season is no way over, but the offensive philosophy (if any) needs to be changed right now.

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 08:54 PM
A horse **** effort from a horse **** team. Changes need to be made and they need to be made NOW.

:chickenlittle:

Ah **** it...

1st place White Sox...

Jurr
05-02-2008, 08:55 PM
You can't change your offense when the middle of your lineup consists of TWO SLOW PLAYERS, one of which can do absolutely nothing but hit a homer, or a double if he missed the homer.

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM

YEAH! There's a diehard fan for ya...

:darkcloud:

SoxSpeed22
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Bah.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I agree, but mind you, Harry lost his job here for being critical. There's a reason Hawk has been around here for so long, and that's because he doesn't cross Jerry or the GM (except of course for Roland Hemond who might have been the best GM we've had while he's been here).

I don't think Rongey's saying anything KW, JR or Ozzie can disagree with. Just that they are not hitting and had better start. And he keeps defending Walker.:rolleyes:

voodoochile

LMAO!!!

Toast do you hear dad? First place on May 2nd get shut out after a rough week and it's all down hill from here...

Stick a fork in 'em.

The bandwagon won't miss your dad.

infohawk
I'm looking at all the good hitters in our lineup and wondering how they ALL could be slumping at the same time. Even the newcomers have been scuffling and hitting below their career #s besides Quentin. I hate the knee jerk reactions of firing the hitting coach but in this instance and after the dismal showing in 2007, you almost HAVE to think that Greg Walker is on thin ice right now.
I remember back in '05 when I went to a Sox-Indians game early in the season. It was late April or May. The Indians were really struggling offensively to start the season. Eddie Murray was their hitting coach. Either just before, or perhaps after that game, the Indians fired Murray. The Indians, as you remember, got really hot in June and pretty much stayed that way until the final week of the season. I can't say with any measure of certainty that there was a correlation between their improved offense and the new hitting coach that year, but it's something to consider.

kaufsox
05-02-2008, 08:59 PM
The offense last year had a cast of Terrero, Gonzalez, Erstad, and other garbage compared to a pretty solid line up 1-8 this year.

Season is no way over, but the offensive philosophy (if any) needs to be changed right now.

Solid? As of now, they are about as solid as Jell-o. Other than CQ, no looks good at the plate right now.

But, you're right it's May 2, writing off a season because we've cooled off after a strong start is just too pessimistic. Wait till the All-Star break before jumping off a building

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 08:59 PM

"These days" Is that a new way of saying, they lost 3 in a row?

Seems they put two games on the board in the two games before those (not counting the suspended one).

This is weak sauce...

This whole freaking thread is weak sauce...

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm all for finding out if TCQ is the guy.

They HAVE to shuffle the lineup tomorrow.

Ozzie won't do it. He doesn't do radical things like this. He has too much respect for what I consider useless veterans right now.

I just got done praising Lou for pulling his starter today after walking 4 of his first 6 batters. 29 other managers out ther will not pull this off because they are affraid to hurt the starters feelings or they don't want to burn their entire bullpen that night. Lou manages to win that night.

Soxman219
05-02-2008, 09:01 PM
WHY?

WHY IS IT THAT I FEEL LIKE WERE THE ONLY TEAM IN BASEBALL WHO CAN'T BRING IN A RUN WITH THE BASES LOADED!?

WHY IS IT THAT BURLS ONLY GIVES UP TWO RUNS AND LOSES!?

WHY ARE WE 14-13?

BECAUSE WE SUCK!

We are lucky we faced the Tigers while they were bad because if we didn't we would only have 9 wins! There were so much oppotunities to pull away from the division but were not taking it. It looks to me nothing has changed and we are in for another bad year.:angry::angry::angry::(::(::(::angry:

oeo
LMAO!!!

Toast do you hear dad? First place on May 2nd get shut out after a rough week and it's all down hill from here...

Stick a fork in 'em.

The bandwagon won't miss your dad.

They're not 'done' by any means, but is that you DJ? Come on...you can't seriously believe the crap you're typing.

This team is showing some major flaws right now. You're just happy that they're in first place? How long do you think that's going to last if they keep playing like this?

Open your eyes: things look like **** right now. You can't seriously believe that everything is fine, right?

voodoochile
Your dad is a smart man.

You can get the **** off the bandwagon too...

Jerko
Well, we now have FIVE regulars batting under .230. And when Uribe bats 9th, they all bat in a row, starting with him. AJ, JD, Joe, and TCQ were carrying this team, but they're cooling down without the other ones heating up. Zero earned runs against and it felt like we lost that game by 2 touchdowns.

thomas35forever
05-02-2008, 09:04 PM
WHY?

WHY IS IT THAT I FEEL LIKE WERE THE ONLY TEAM IN BASEBALL WHO CAN'T BRING IN A RUN WITH THE BASES LOADED!?

WHY ARE WE 14-13?

BECAUSE WE SUCK!

We are lucky we faced the Tigers while they were bad because if we didn't we would only have 9 wins! There were so much oppotunities to pull away from the division but were not taking it. It looks to me nothing has changed and we are in for another bad year.:angry::angry::angry::(::(::(::angry:
Someone didn't take their pills tonight.
:tomatoaward

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 09:04 PM
:chickenlittle:

Ah **** it...

1st place White Sox...
Have you been watching different Sox games perhaps? Because right now the team I'm watching can't hit for ****. When you can't hit, you really wind up looking like, ya know, horse ****. And if Detroit wins tonight, we're in second place and a loss tommorrow could put us in about fourth. Is the season over? God no. But if we keep playing like this, we're ****ed. And I'm tired of saying "Oh this offense will come out of it." I said that all of last year and it never happened.

sox1970
05-02-2008, 09:05 PM
OK, deep breath....

The division is basically tied now. The season starts tomorrow.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:07 PM
YEAH! There's a diehard fan for ya...

:darkcloud:

I love it. :rolleyes:

Always once allegiance / die hardness is question any time one points out the awful play of once team.

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 09:07 PM
They're not 'done' by any means, but is that you DJ? Come on...you can't seriously believe the crap you're typing.

This team is showing some major flaws right now. You're just happy that they're in first place? How long do you think that's going to last if they keep playing like this?

Open your eyes: things look like **** right now. You can't seriously believe that everything is fine, right?

Right now as in the last three games, the Sox haven't played well. Last Sunday they finished winning two games in a row to extend their division lead and games over .500 margin to year highs. I didn't go around crowing about how great it was. I didn't see any of the thunderheads predicting doom and gloom then. One rough stretch and people are diving for the exits.

**** 'em. I'm still riding shotgun.

This is nothing. Remember 2005... er... September 2005? Man now that was a rough stretch and people were diving for the exits like their hair was on fire and there was an ocean outside the doors.

Anyone who thinks this is the end of the 2008 White Sox has no clue. There's 135 games left to play and the Sox are in first place.

Yeah, that's the time to quit...

Fans of other teams are laughing at the dumbasses in this thread...

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:08 PM
OK, deep breath....

The division is basically tied now. The season starts tomorrow.

LOL !!!

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
WHY?

WHY ARE WE 14-13?

BECAUSE WE SUCK!

Lord what a whiner...

Poor you... poor you...

doublem23

thomas35forever
Kudos to voodoo for being the only optimist in this thread.

voodoochile
I love it. :rolleyes:

Always once allegiance / die hardness is question any time one points out the awful play of once team.

No just when you extrapolate last place from a bad 3 game stretch.

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Kudos to voodoo for being the only optimist in this thread.

I'm having fun taking out the trash...

soxfan44
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM

If by "bandwagon" you mean burying my head in the sand while the Sox drop like a stone after an improbable start, then I've never been on it. I am a Sox fan and a realist. They have to play out the string until the trade deadline, but I'm hoping for a younger, faster club in '09 and beyond.

SoxSpeed22
05-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Guess I have to bring this back...
http://www.hrwiki.org/images/thumb/2/2c/ss_dumpington.PNG/220px-ss_dumpington.PNG
"The Sox lose 3 in a row, are hitting like crap and are showing no signs of coming out of it. Isn't that great?"
For those who don't know what this (http://www.homestarrunner.com/dumpingtontoon.html) is.

LoveYourSuit
Fans of other teams are laughing at the dumbasses in this thread...

I think they find it more comical that we pissed away a 5 game lead when both their own teams got off to horrendous starts (Cle & Det).

voodoochile

Yeah, it sucked. Feel bad for Mark. Heck of a performance. The 4th inning was as good an inning as any pitcher has thrown all year for the Sox. Heck of an effort and a great way to slam the door. Nice to see him finding his stride. He pitches like that, the Sox are going to win a LOT more than they will lose this year when he starts.

southsideirish71
05-02-2008, 09:12 PM

They are 9-11 over their last 20 games. Lets stop the mirage that they have been playing bang up baseball and that this is only a 3 game slide.

GBORN
05-02-2008, 09:12 PM
**** 'em. I'm still riding shotgun.
Anyone who thinks this is the end of the 2008 White Sox has no clue. There's 135 games left to play and the Sox are in first place.

Amen, I couldn't agree more!

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Have you been watching different Sox games perhaps? Because right now the team I'm watching can't hit for ****. When you can't hit, you really wind up looking like, ya know, horse ****. And if Detroit wins tonight, we're in second place and a loss tommorrow could put us in about fourth. Is the season over? God no. But if we keep playing like this, we're ****ed. And I'm tired of saying "Oh this offense will come out of it." I said that all of last year and it never happened.

And maybe it won't this year either, but I wouldn't put money on that happening. Still, not much we can do about it now is there. Suck it up, Man. 5 months of baseball to be played still. Losing 3 consecutive games by a total of 6 runs isn't the end of the world.

oeo
Right now as in the last three games, the Sox haven't played well. Last Sunday they finished winning two games in a row to extend their division lead and games over .500 margin to year highs. I didn't go around crowing about how great it was. I didn't see any of the thunderheads predicting doom and gloom then. One rough stretch and people are diving for the exits.

No, no, no. It's been longer than the last three games. This started in that Oakland series when they couldn't win the first game. Then they blew the second game of the Baltimore series. Then they went to Tampa Bay and gift-wrapped a game for the Rays. They then came home and lost 2 out of 3 in a series that they should have won 2 out of 3. Then there was the first game of the doubleheader that they should have won, and the game on Monday that was blown. Now we're to the last three games where everything has gotten that much worse.

This team hasn't been consistent in anything. Even when they do hit, they can't finish games. They can't finish off a series. They're now 9-12 against teams not named the Tigers.

You can keep trying to cover it up all you want, but this team looks like crap. I hope it doesn't continue, and I'm not going to overreact and say the season is over, but what they've shown over the last couple of weeks != 'fine.'

LoveYourSuit

It was sarcasm.

Besides, the Sox are realistically 2.5 games from last place. Check the standings, KC is only 2.5 games away from us in last place.

So as quickly we can drop to 2nd place, last place is just minutes away there after.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, it sucked. Feel bad for Mark. Heck of a performance. The 4th inning was as good an inning as any pitcher has thrown all year for the Sox. Heck of an effort and a great way to slam the door. Nice to see him finding his stride. He pitches like that, the Sox are going to win a LOT more than they will lose this year when he starts.
Not if they keep hitting like this! I hate the fact that when someone says "There is a problem with our approach the plate, we can't keep hitting like this" their loyalty is questioned, they are tagged as a dark cloud. It's insane. This offense has an '07 vibe to it (and it was after a trip to Minnesota and Toronto that we fell apart last year), so I can understand why people are a little bit panicky. This team hasn't played good baseball since Sunday, and prior to Sunday they looked bad/shakey in the other two games against Baltimore (we got shut down in game one of a double header and blew a win for Buerhle in game two) and looked awful against the Yankees. This team hasn't looked consistently solid in awhile. To deny that is to be oblivious. There's reason to be optimistic yes, but there's just as many reasons to be nervous.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:17 PM
No, no, no. It's been longer than the last three games. This started in that Oakland series when they couldn't win the first game. Then they blew the second game of the Baltimore series. Then they went to Tampa Bay and gift-wrapped a game for the Rays. They then came home and lost 2 out of 3 in a series that they should have won 2 out of 3. Then there was the first game of the doubleheader that they should have won, and the game on Monday that was blown. Now we're to the last three games where everything has gotten that much worse.

This team hasn't been consistent in anything. Even when they do hit, they can't finish games. They can't finish off a series. They're now 9-12 against teams not named the Tigers.

You can keep trying to cover it up all you want, but this team looks like crap. I hope it doesn't continue, and I'm not going to overreact and say the season is over, but what they've shown over the last couple of weeks != 'fine.'

Those two Bobby Jenks blows are looking bigger and bigger with this free fall slump we are in. I don't even think Bobby has saved a game ever since....?

Jurr
05-02-2008, 09:18 PM
And maybe it won't this year either, but I wouldn't put money on that happening. Still, not much we can do about it now is there. Suck it up, Man. 5 months of baseball to be played still. Losing 3 consecutive games by a total of 6 runs isn't the end of the world.
Voodoo...much love, bro.
I'm as optimistic as they come, but I find myself getting sick and tired of the same old song and dance by this offense. We're all still here rooting our asses off, but it's just so mind numbingly frustrating, 'cuz we've seen this before.

voodoochile
They are 9-11 over their last 20 games. Lets stop the mirage that they have been playing bang up baseball and that this is only a 3 game slide.

OHMIGAWD! A .500 20 game stretch QUICK - somebody kill me!

Yeah and they were 5-2 in the 7 games before that, and 12-8 in the 20 games leading up to Wednesday so ****ing what?

Every team is going to look like worldbeaters or celler dwellers for a 20 game stretch this season.

WhiteSox5187

You used stats and logic...dark cloud!

sox1970
05-02-2008, 09:19 PM
It was sarcasm.

Besides, the Sox are realistically 2.5 games from last place. Check the standings, KC is only 2.5 games away from us in last place.

So as quickly we can drop to 2nd place, last place is just minutes away there after.

If Minnesota wins tonight, the AL Central will have four teams with 14 wins starting tomorrow. It's a 135 game schedule starting tomorrow.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I hate the fact that when someone says "There is a problem with our approach the plate, we can't keep hitting like this" their loyalty is questioned, they are tagged as a dark cloud. It's insane.

You need to bring your White Sox pom poms (sponsored by Hawk and DJ) anytime you come post here.

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Voodoo...much love, bro.
I'm as optimistic as they come, but I find myself getting sick and tired of the same old song and dance by this offense. We're all still here rooting our asses off, but it's just so mind numbingly frustrating, 'cuz we've seen this before.

Hey, I'm not happy, I just find the over the top "Kill me now before I am forced to watch one more minute of this pathetic team play baseball" crap frusturating...

:gah:

oeo
05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
If Minnesota wins tonight, the AL Central will have four teams with 14 wins starting tomorrow. It's a 135 game schedule starting tomorrow.

The bright side of that is we're two games ahead in the loss column.

There still isn't a team that is playing well in the Central, but it's about damn time we start to make a serious move.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
OHMIGAWD! A .500 20 game stretch QUICK - somebody kill me!

Yeah and they were 5-2 in the 7 games before that, and 12-8 in the 20 games leading up to Wednesday so ****ing what?

Every team is going to look like worldbeaters or celler dwellers for a 20 game stretch this season.

Let me ask you this Voodoo,

Are you in any way shape or form concerned at the offense philosophy of this team or their approach at the plate?

Or are you concerned about their .230s team average?

Does bad offense not bring you bad memories of previous awful Sox seasons?

This is why me and other are extremely concerned. We have been fed this crap already once and don't want to fall for this again.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Is it just me or is Uribe coming up in an awful lot of "key" situations the past week or so?

Now on to tonight's disappearing act. Need I mention both Toronto runs scored with two out. Hmmmmmm.

This offense is looking a lot like last season's which also got off to a good start record-wise before reality set in. (Remember the Sox were four over at one point in late April / early May before going right down the toilet.)

Don't know what I can say...Aerosmith said it best, "same old story, same old song and dance, my friend..."

I don't have any suggestion left, this has been fairly consistent since July 2006.

Lip

thomas35forever
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
The attitude on this thread reminds me of this quote from a game thread in late September of '05.

This team is very very pathetic. Have we blown our lead yet?

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Let me ask you this Voodoo,

Are you in any way shape or form concerned at the offense philosophy of this team or their approach at the plate?

Or are you concerned about their .230s team average?

Does bad offense not bring you bad memories of previous awful Sox seasons?

This is why me and other are extremely concerned. We have been fed this crap already once and don't want to fall for this again.

Not at the moment, no.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Not at the moment, no.

Well, more power to you.

My blood continues to boil right now.

I honestly need to seek therapy so that these loses start blowing on by me like the wind.

JB98
05-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Is it just me or is Uribe coming up in an awful lot of "key" situations the past week or so?

No, not your imagination. Who has been getting on base with some regularity? AJ and Quentin. BA hasn't done too badly as of late either.

Hence, Uribe comes up with men on base.

I hope Danny Richar can step up and win the 2B job in the near future. Uribe is a good defender, but his offense is just too weak.

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, more power to you.

My blood continues to boil right now.

I honestly need to seek therapy so that these loses start blowing on by me like the wind.

Don't ask me about losses, ask me about the wins.

It's a long season. REAL long. If every time the Sox lose 3 in a row this place is going to go up for grabs, it's going to be even longer.

Jurr
05-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Now on to tonight's disappearing act. Need I mention both Toronto runs scored with two out. Hmmmmmm.

This offense is looking a lot like last season's which also got off to a good start record-wise before reality set in. (Remember the Sox were four over at one point in late April / early May before going right down the toilet.)

Don't know what I can say...Aerosmith said it best, "same old story, same old song and dance, my friend..."

I don't have any suggestion left, this has been fairly consistent since July 2006.

Lip
EXACTLY.
Lip, you'd have a fairly good slant on this. How much of this offense's struggles since '06 relate to the fact that they're lacking offensive versatility.
Furthermore, how much of that struggle do you think could be related to the fact that they have such an all or nothing type hitter in the three hole?

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:32 PM

Lip

Lip,

Don't come in here with that crap. Your Die Hard Status will be revoked.

I'm done dogging Uribe. It does appear that big run situations always fall on his hands. But until 1-2-3-4-5-6 show us any better, Uribe cannot be the skapegoat anymore. I hate Uribe with a passion but I have enough sense to start cutting him some slack when the big 6 continue to piss away AB after AB.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 09:34 PM

It's a long season. REAL long. If every time the Sox lose 3 in a row this place is going to go up for grabs, it's going to be even longer.
Well, it's been awhile since the Sox have won now...and it has been even longer since the Sox looked GOOD while winning.

voodoochile
Lip,

Don't come in here with that crap. Your Die Hard Status will be revoked.

I'm done dogging Uribe. It does appear that big run situations always fall on his hands. But until 1-2-3-4-5-6 show us any better, Uribe cannot be the skapegoat anymore. I hate Uribe with a passion but I have enough sense to start cutting him some slack when the big 6 continue to piss away AB after AB.

No, Lip isn't expected on the bandwagon until August at least. :D:

Also, notice that as frustrated as Lip is, he refrains from making all or nothing predictions because Lip knows it's May 2nd.

Jerko
The attitude on this thread reminds me of this quote from a game thread in late September of '05.

And that year alone should prove to us that the race isn't over yet with how much ground the Indians made up late in the year. None of these teams are that great right now, we just have to hope we improve more than the rest of them do. Detroit's rotation sucks IMO, Cleveland admittedly will be tough if Lee doesn't cool off (though Westbrook is hurt), and Minnesota doesn't scare me at all. I'm as pissed off as anybody but to say the season is over is silly.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:36 PM

I've never been able to grasp the whole "long season" thinking. But funny you bring this up because Boers and Bernstine were talking about the exact same thing the other day and sounded exactly like you and all the happy people's thinking. And those guys are the most extreme Negative radio people you will ever run into. But they also had the same grip about the baseball season and telling people not to get so caught up into the game by game stuff.

Like I said, I need therapy.

soxfan44
05-02-2008, 09:37 PM

I find myself reading all of your posts in the voice of the comic book guy from the Simpsons. Should I not do that?

Lip Man 1
05-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Voodoo:

Appreciate the kind words not that it hasn't been very frustrating!

Jurr:

As I said in another thread, I agree with you 100% that the Sox are a station to station, all or nothing, home run or die type of team.

But I disagree that Jim Thome is the "be all / end all" to the Sox offensive issues.

Even if he were replaced that doesn't solve the total lack of speed, the almost total lack of fundamentals and the fact that they don't have a true lead off hitter.

This situation has been fermenting for at least two seasons now (July 06) Kenny has tried different things, he's brought in different players but it hasn't worked because overall the club lacks some balance.

How he can solve that short of a total implosion of the club is beyond me to figure out. But then that's why he gets the big bucks.

Lip

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I find myself reading all of your posts in the voice of the comic book guy from the Simpsons. Should I not do that?

Whatever gets you through the night.

Soxman219
Well, it's been awhile since the Sox have won now...and it has been even longer since the Sox looked GOOD while winning.

I've felt that too. I've felt like we have been losing for two weeks now. But we can't do anything about it. All we can do is hope they turn it around.

sox1970
I've never been able to grasp the whole "long season" thinking. But funny you bring this up because Boers and Bernstine were talking about the exact same thing the other day and sounded exactly like you and all the happy people's thinking. And those guys are the most extreme Negative radio people you will ever run into. But they also had the same grip about the baseball season and telling people not to get so caught up into the game by game stuff.

Like I said, I need therapy.

You can say "it's a long season" when you're in it. If they lose 15 out of 20 in any stretch, then it's over no matter if it's April, May, or September.

The good news is the division is tied with 14 wins. Tomorrow is a fresh start, and there's no reason to panic yet. And I do stress the word YET.

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Voodoo:

Appreciate the kind words not that it hasn't been very frustrating!

Jurr:

As I said in another thread, I agree with you 100% that the Sox are a station to station, all or nothing, home run or die type of team.

But I disagree that Jim Thome is the "be all / end all" to the Sox offensive issues.

Even if he were replaced that doesn't solve the total lack of speed, the almost total lack of fundamentals and the fact that they don't have a true lead off hitter.

This situation has been fermenting for at least two seasons now (July 06) Kenny has tried different things, he's brought in different players but it hasn't worked because overall the club lacks some balance.

How he can solve that short of a total implosion of the club is beyond me to figure out. But then that's why he gets the big bucks.

Lip
He's brought in different players, but they're all of the same variety, slow power hitters who get on base. The only time he broke from that trend was '05 by trading a big power hitter (Lee) for bullpen help and a guy with speed who can get on base.

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
And that year alone should prove to us that the race isn't over yet with how much ground the Indians made up late in the year. None of these teams are that great right now, we just have to hope we improve more than the rest of them do. Detroit's rotation sucks IMO, Cleveland admittedly will be tough if Lee doesn't cool off (though Westbrook is hurt), and Minnesota doesn't scare me at all. I'm as pissed off as anybody but to say the season is over is silly.

My feeling with this whole panic is that I myself truly think the Tigers and the Indians have better teams than us. I wanted to take advantage of their bad starts to our very solid one and try to use that head start to our advantage to compete. Now the playing level has evened up and we are starting from scratch again. Head start gone.

If the Tigers pitching staff continues to suck bad, then I like us over them (but they have a very good veteran staff IMO and some injured pieces should be coming back).

Indians I still think are a bit better than us. Both their offense and ours suck right now but they don't heavily rely on the HR which gives them a better chance to break out.

Twins are the wild card. I try to turn the page on them but they have the best bullpen in the division, a good balance line up, and ok starters.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Sox 5187:

I agree with that somewhat. However Swisher and Cabrerra certainly aren't (or haven't been) all of nothing type hitters...yet they come to Chicago and they go south. Those are just two examples.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Sox 5187:

I agree with that somewhat. However Swisher and Cabrerra certainly aren't (or haven't been) all of nothing type hitters...yet they come to Chicago and they go south. Those are just two examples.

Lip

Kind of odd two very good hitters hit the wall getting off the plane at O'hare.

The waters are poisoned, plain and simple. The philosophy for offense is pretty much go grab a bat and fan away as hard as you can.

veeter
05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
They've hit rock bottom now. Two hits. Tomorrow's game means a lot IMO, how they bounce back. But I will never accept the comparisons to 2007. This team is full of studs and they will turn it around.I'm with you voodoo.

Parrothead
05-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm with you voodoo.

I highly disagree with the both of you. This team is the 2008 version of 2007. They are slow and can't hit. If this team was a horse, it would be shot. The side has began. Enjoy the ride everyone.

Thome25
05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I've been pessimistic about this team since spring training. I don't like the makeup of our offense with the HR or nothing aspect of it.

I'd hate to say it but, it's almost a relief when they keep losing like this because it means changes are forthcoming.....KW's hand might be forced and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I highly disagree with the both of you. This team is the 2008 version of 2007. They are slow and can't hit. If this team was a horse, it would be shot. The side has began. Enjoy the ride everyone.

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride then I get to the bottom and I see you again...

Lip Man 1
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Yea, yea, yea!

Do you, don't you want me to make you?

Comin' down fast but don't let me break you.

:D:

Lip

sox1970
05-02-2008, 10:22 PM
I've been pessimistic about this team since spring training. I don't like the makeup of our offense with the HR or nothing aspect of it.

I'd hate to say it but, it's almost a relief when they keep losing like this because it means changes are forthcoming.....KW's hand might be forced and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

There are going to be too many teams involved in division and wild card races for the Sox to do anything. If the Rays and A's keep getting wins, the wildcard race is going to be tight to the end--and it may involve 5-6 teams, including the Sox.

Frankfan4life
05-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't ask for much. Just the ability to score two, three or four runs a game, THANK YOU!!!

Ozzie needs to give all of the hitters (hah, not the right word), uh hackers/strikers/poppers...., a loud, profanity-filled, partially unitelligible tongue-lashing. RIGHT NOW!!!

sullythered
05-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Everything else aside, who would have thought that we basically would have the best starting staff in the league.

Even if it doesn't work out this year, it was vitally important that guys like Danks, Floyd, and Carlos perform like they have been, because of the lack of farm help that we have.

We could have the same record that we do right now under different circumstances (Thome, Konerko and Dye ripping it up, and Danks and Floyd performing poorly) and I would have much less optimism about this year and beyond.

Thome25
05-02-2008, 10:27 PM
There are going to be too many teams involved in division and wild card races for the Sox to do anything. If the Rays and A's keep getting wins, the wildcard race is going to be tight to the end--and it may involve 5-6 teams, including the Sox.

You could go the opposite way with that point as well. More teams in it means more teams that'll need help at the deadline and more teams that'll get into bidding wars for some of the White Sox players.

voodoochile
05-02-2008, 10:28 PM
You could go the opposite way with that point as well. More teams in it means more teams that'll need help at the deadline and more teams that'll get into bidding wars for some of the White Sox players.

We'll be buying or sitting pat...

sox1970
05-02-2008, 10:30 PM

Agreed.

JB98
05-02-2008, 10:30 PM

I hope we are not standing pat, one way or the other.

Thome25
05-02-2008, 10:32 PM

It's a big IF either way....hopefully the Sox are still in it.....but, as of right now this team makes my head hurt and I'd like to see some changes made if things keep going this way.

You have a point though....that has been KW's philosophy. Doesn't mean I agree with it though. If it came down to it, we'd have some players that'd probably be attractive to some contenders. Which would open up spots for players who deserve to play right now.

sox1970
05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Maybe if the Rockies fall out of it by the break---Willy Tavares?

I know Kenny likes that guy.

If not, maybe bring back Podse......nah.

It's Time
05-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Not much to say. It's ****ing hard to win when you don't score.

TDog
05-02-2008, 11:01 PM
When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride then I get to the bottom and I see you again...

.. helter skelter.

Buehrle did do his job after the first. No one else did, except perhaps Cabrera. He is ultimately to blame for the fact that he only had to pitch eight innings to get a complete game.

The runs were unearned, but they were Buehrle's fault. An error extended the inning, but it only put a runner on first with two out. Buehrle gave up a two-out double and a two-out single to plate the two runs. What I find troubling is that I expected Buehrle to give up the runs, and I shouldn't because Buehrle is an experienced quality pitcher.

In his previous start, he gave up two two-out runs in the first inning to Baltimore. Before that, against Tampa Bay, he gave up four two-out runs, three after a defensive mistake that wasn't charged as an error. On opening day against Cleveland, he gave up three two-out runs and couldn't even get the third out in the second. When Buehrle had two runners in scoring position with none out today, I expected him to retire the next two hitters before allowing a two-out two-RBI hit, but he got through it without any damage.

By my count, more than half of the runs he has allowed have come on clutch two-out hits. Buehrle isn't the only White Sox pitcher who has been giving up two out hits. When relievers do it, it is treated as some sort of apocalyptic omen.

I was disappointed in Buehrle at the start and the offense throughout. Buehrle seems to do just enough in Toronto to lose. And, really, this year he has been pitching like a rookie when he should be stepping up as a veteran.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Well the number of two out RBI's against the Sox is up to 60 runs for the season.

Lip

GoSox2K3
05-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah!!!!! Let's blame tonight's game on Mark Buehrle! :?:

Palehose Pete
05-02-2008, 11:25 PM

Welcome to the party. This team is playing its way to 3rd place. At best. It's all or nothing with this team. Reminds me of 2000, but worse because that team won the division. And don't tell me about the OPB. I don't care. If someone is on second with two outs, the guy at the plate needs to get a hit and drive in the run.

Prove me wrong, Silent Bob.

Good night.

chisoxfanatic
05-02-2008, 11:38 PM
KC, yes; Minnesota, no. Minnesota laid the royal beat-down on Detroit tonight...It's too bad I had Joe Mauer on my bench tonight...Ahh, well, tonight's been absolutely HUGE night, and I'm just destroying my Cub-fan opponent this week!

I feel so bad for Buehrle here. I guess it's his turn this year to be the pitcher that just doesn't get run support. He pitched outstanding from the rubber tonight. If this offense doesn't get it going any time soon, then the pitching has my blessing to knock them around a little.

TDog
05-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Well the number of two out RBI's against the Sox is up to 60 runs for the season.

Lip

This trend has disturbed me since opening day when the last six runs the Sox allowed in the 10-7 loss came with two outs. I'm glad I'm not the only one keeping track.

Unearned runs allowed also bother me, especially when they come on hits with two outs. Sometimes it's like the pitcher doesn't care because the runs won't affect his ERA, although I don't believe that's the case with Mark Buehrle.

I didn't blame the loss on Buehrle. I blame the team. As a part of the team, Buehrle wasn't blameless. The two runs in the first were not entirely his fault, but they were more his fault than Joe Crede's fault. But I won't give Buehrle a pass either.

As losses go, this one was a real team effort.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I highly disagree with the both of you. This team is the 2008 version of 2007. They are slow and can't hit. If this team was a horse, it would be shot. The side has began. Enjoy the ride everyone.Parrothead sees Homefish weakening, and is making a run to take over his position in the lineup.

Patrick134
05-02-2008, 11:59 PM
KC, yes; Minnesota, no. Minnesota laid the royal beat-down on Detroit tonight...It's too bad I had Joe Mauer on my bench tonight...Ahh, well, tonight's been absolutely HUGE night, and I'm just destroying my Cub-fan opponent this week!

I feel so bad for Buehrle here. I guess it's his turn this year to be the pitcher that just doesn't get run support. He pitched outstanding from the rubber tonight. If this offense doesn't get it going any time soon, then the pitching has my blessing to knock them around a little.

While the offense hurt Mark tonight, they did save him from a loss worthy performance on opening day, giving him a no decision.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 12:05 AM

Danks is the guy getting the shaft this year. Coming into tonight, 3.68 worth of support vs. Buehrle at 5.64, nearly two full runs higher (support skewed by that Detroit game). Javy has the most support at 6.00.

BadBobbyJenks
05-03-2008, 01:36 AM
.. helter skelter.

Buehrle did do his job after the first. No one else did, except perhaps Cabrera. He is ultimately to blame for the fact that he only had to pitch eight innings to get a complete game.

The runs were unearned, but they were Buehrle's fault. An error extended the inning, but it only put a runner on first with two out. Buehrle gave up a two-out double and a two-out single to plate the two runs. What I find troubling is that I expected Buehrle to give up the runs, and I shouldn't because Buehrle is an experienced quality pitcher.

In his previous start, he gave up two two-out runs in the first inning to Baltimore. Before that, against Tampa Bay, he gave up four two-out runs, three after a defensive mistake that wasn't charged as an error. On opening day against Cleveland, he gave up three two-out runs and couldn't even get the third out in the second. When Buehrle had two runners in scoring position with none out today, I expected him to retire the next two hitters before allowing a two-out two-RBI hit, but he got through it without any damage.

By my count, more than half of the runs he has allowed have come on clutch two-out hits. Buehrle isn't the only White Sox pitcher who has been giving up two out hits. When relievers do it, it is treated as some sort of apocalyptic omen.

I was disappointed in Buehrle at the start and the offense throughout. Buehrle seems to do just enough in Toronto to lose. And, really, this year he has been pitching like a rookie when he should be stepping up as a veteran.
:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Just enough to lose....2 unearned in a complete game. Wow!

doublem23
05-03-2008, 02:28 AM
.. helter skelter.

Take away Mark's Opening Day fiasco and he's got a 2.82 ERA. Of all the problems surrounding the Sox right now, Mark Buehrle would rank somewhere in the bottom 1 percentile. He's been pitching very well, and he kept the Sox in the game despite the fact his defense faltered behind him and the bats couldn't do a damn thing against a guy who was so sick, he was puking in between innings (http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=9afed05b-a4e9-45a3-8431-40ef71256033&k=66274).

If you give up 0 ER in 8 innings of work, you don't deserve to lose. Case closed.

P.S. What is this fascination with how many outs there are when runs score? Are 2-out runs suddenly more valuable? Some of you act like 0 and 1 out runs don't count for anything. The Sox came into today's action allowing 4 runs per game, better than all but 3 American League teams. The starters, whom everyone had serious questions about coming into this season have posted an ERA of 3.76 now, counting Mark's start tonight. The pitching is not the problem.

TDog
05-03-2008, 04:53 AM

Take away Mark's Opening Day fiasco and he's got a 2.82 ERA. Of all the problems surrounding the Sox right now, Mark Buehrle would rank somewhere in the bottom 1 percentile. He's been pitching very well, and he kept the Sox in the game despite the fact his defense faltered behind him and the bats couldn't do a damn thing against a guy who was so sick, he was puking in between innings (http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=9afed05b-a4e9-45a3-8431-40ef71256033&k=66274).

If you give up 0 ER in 8 innings of work, you don't deserve to lose. Case closed.

P.S. What is this fascination with how many outs there are when runs score? Are 2-out runs suddenly more valuable? Some of you act like 0 and 1 out runs don't count for anything. The Sox came into today's action allowing 4 runs per game, better than all but 3 American League teams. The starters, whom everyone had serious questions about coming into this season have posted an ERA of 3.76 now, counting Mark's start tonight. The pitching is not the problem.

These unearned runs were Buehrle's fault in large part. The error left a runner on first with two outs. The Jays hit a two-out double and a two-out single to drive in the two runs. In fact, if a new pitcher comes in after a two-out error, and gives up a double and a single to lose the inherited runner and give up a run of his own, the run charged to the new pitcher would be earned against the pitcher although it would be unearned to the team.

Really good pitchers don't give up many unearned runs. It is especially discouraging to see Buehrle giving up runs after retiring the first two hitters in an inning. Today, the first-inning pitching was definitely the problem.

Two-out runs are like one-run losses. As good teams win most one-run games they play, solid veteran pitchers close the door. It isn't just a matter of opponents hitting two-out home runs, as they did against Buehrle and Dotel on opening day. Sox pitchers have allowed teams to put together two-out rallies when the offense has no margin for error and no ability to score runners with productive outs. I sincerely doubt that Buehrle, Ozzie Guillen or Don Cooper believes it is irrelevant that 11 of the 21 runs Buehrle has given up have come with two outs.

People complain about the lack of situational hitting. Allowing two-out runs demonstrates a lack of situational pitching. The starters are giving up a bunch of two-out runs and the bullpen is giving up a bunch of two-out runs. Those missed key outs on most days mean the difference between winning and losing. If you don't find that troubling, you're not paying attention.

The offense is the problem. The defense is the problem. The pitching is the problem. Some are bigger problems than others.

BadBobbyJenks
05-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Really good pitchers don't give up many unearned runs. It is especially discouraging to see Buehrle giving up runs after retiring the first two hitters in an inning. Today, the first-inning pitching was definitely the problem.

Two-out runs are like one-run losses. As good teams win most one-run games they play, solid veteran pitchers close the door. It isn't just a matter of opponents hitting two-out home runs, as they did against Buehrle and Dotel on opening day. Sox pitchers have allowed teams to put together two-out rallies when the offense has no margin for error and no ability to score runners with productive outs. I sincerely doubt that Buehrle, Ozzie Guillen or Don Cooper believes it is irrelevant that 11 of the 21 runs Buehrle has given up have come with two outs.

I thought Buehrle did an ok job of getting out of that 2nd and 3rd jam with two strikeouts and a ground out. Why do people get hung up on Mark every time he has a bad start (or in this case a complete game loss!).

As Doublem pointed out, Mark is the least of our worries.

LITTLE NELL
05-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Its time to bring up Owens and jump start this offense. Hopefully he can give us a 05 Pod like season. I would put Swish in right and alternate Dye and Thome as DH. We have to do something or else its 07 all over again. Its a shame because the starters have been doing the job.

dickallen15
05-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Considering all these doomsday proposals, ie getting guys out of the line-up, platoons, its shocking the White Sox are currently still in first place. Obviously they have to pick it up offensively, and the past season and a half offensively has been horrid, but does everyone really think Thome, Konerko, Swisher and Cabrera will hit .220? Does everyone really even think Uribe will hit .160? As long as the pitching holds up, the White Sox will be right there. This isn't 2007 again unless the pitching falls apart.

white sox bill
05-03-2008, 08:14 AM
One more L and we are at .500----:mad::mad::(::(:

Parrothead
05-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Parrothead sees Homefish weakening, and is making a run to take over his position in the lineup.

I am ready. What do I have to do to take over ? What position general in the Sox Army?
:irule::club:

spiffie
05-03-2008, 08:48 AM

I agree with the idea that SP is the least of our concerns right now. Giving up 2 runs in 8 innings should be a win more often than not.

However, about the 2-out run thing...the fact that we are giving up so many more runs with 2 outs than the average team makes it seem like there might be something mental involved as much as physical. It seems like our pitchers, especially in the pen, have trouble closing out an inning. I don't know if that's a function of pitch selection, or the pitcher's psyche, or just dumb luck, but it seems like something that needs to be considered at least.

doublem23
05-03-2008, 09:25 AM
However, about the 2-out run thing...the fact that we are giving up so many more runs with 2 outs than the average team makes it seem like there might be something mental involved as much as physical. It seems like our pitchers, especially in the pen, have trouble closing out an inning. I don't know if that's a function of pitch selection, or the pitcher's psyche, or just dumb luck, but it seems like something that needs to be considered at least.

It would only concern me if the Sox were giving up more than their fair share of runs, but they aren't... they're allowing well under the league average. If you would have told me that the Sox would have a team ERA that was third best in the league and was well under 4 on May 3rd, I never would have guessed that they'd only be 1 game over .500. So once again, who cares where they're giving them up because they're giving up so few.

8 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 7 K... That line deserves to win 100% of the time. No excuses.

Jurr
05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Its time to bring up Owens and jump start this offense. Hopefully he can give us a 05 Pod like season. I would put Swish in right and alternate Dye and Thome as DH. We have to do something or else its 07 all over again. Its a shame because the starters have been doing the job.
This actually makes a TON of sense, but you can't platoon that much money. This means that one of 'em must go, and the guy that actually uses a glove should stay.

GBORN
05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Ok, it is now the day after the game...

Has this post game thread turned into today's pre-game thread? Time to put last night behind us...and hunker down and cinch it up.:D:

AZChiSoxFan
05-03-2008, 10:26 AM
But I will never accept the comparisons to 2007. This team is full of studs and they will turn it around.

Suit yourself. I guess you were one of those who was still telling us in late Aug last year that "eventually the Sox will start hitting." My only question for you is, when will eventually ever get here?

voodoochile
05-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Suit yourself. I guess you were one of those who was still telling us in late Aug last year that "eventually the Sox will start hitting." My only question for you is, when will eventually ever get here?

Right, well last year they were relying on two more injury prone and older players in Eldred and Pods to leadoff and the second slot was up for grabs all season long. This year they seem to have a plan and the players put in those slots are not only younger, but Cabrera in particular is a prototypical 2nd slot hitter.

So the comparisons aren't really that valid. Yeah, it's been a bad offensive few weeks, but the two weeks before that they looked like world beaters. Like it or not and for good or for bad, this is the team the Sox are going to field, so sit back, cinch it up and strap it down. No need to panic just yet, these guys are professional hitters and unless they collectively fall off the face of the Earth this season the offense will put up some runs this season.

churlish
05-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Considering all these doomsday proposals, ie getting guys out of the line-up, platoons, its shocking the White Sox are currently still in first place. Obviously they have to pick it up offensively, and the past season and a half offensively has been horrid, but does everyone really think Thome, Konerko, Swisher and Cabrera will hit .220? Does everyone really even think Uribe will hit .160? As long as the pitching holds up, the White Sox will be right there. This isn't 2007 again unless the pitching falls apart.

Never underestimate Uribe's ability to be awful.

Seriously, everything is going wrong right now, and the Sox are still in first place. The offense is struggling beyond belief. It happens. The offense will improve, and the Sox will score plenty of runs. Every team in this division is flawed, and I see very little reason to think why the Sox can't win the division.

kittle42
05-03-2008, 12:01 PM
This is weak sauce...

This whole freaking thread is weak sauce...

Just like the last week of White Sox baseball. But that's ok - they're in first!