PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Rule Question

twentywontowin
05-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I had always thought it was a rule, or at least maybe an unwritten one, that a home team in baseball has to wear white pants.

Watching the game right now, Toronto is decked out in blue head to toe at home.

Can someone clarify?

Daver
05-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I had always thought it was a rule, or at least maybe an unwritten one, that a home team in baseball has to wear white pants.

Watching the game right now, Toronto is decked out in blue head to toe at home.

Can someone clarify?

Those are throwback road uniforms.

pierzynski07
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
I remember when the Pirates had some full colored yellow uniforms just a few years ago.

twentywontowin
05-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Those are throwback road uniforms.

Obviously, so they must make exceptions in that case?

WhiteSox5187
05-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Obviously, so they must make exceptions in that case?
That's more tradition than anything else, but the Pirates used to wear yellow (even black) uniforms at home. The Sox used to wear white tops and navy blue pants back in the 1970s. I just think that every uniform change needs to be approved by MLB.

Railsplitter
05-02-2008, 10:42 PM
I remember the Indians having an all maroon uniform, but I don't know if it was home or road.

Lip Man 1
05-02-2008, 10:47 PM
The all red Tribe uniforms were worn both at home and on the road at times in the mid 70's.

Lip

TDog
05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
An unwritten rule really isn't a rule if someone calls you on it.

The Baltimore Orioles circa 1970 had an all-orange uniform they wore at home on Sundays. It was not flattering to Boog Powell.

Lip Man 1
05-03-2008, 12:09 AM
They actually wore that in the first game of a DH against the Sox at Comiskey in 71 or 72. The Sox split beating Jim Palmer I think.

Lip

TDog
05-03-2008, 12:55 AM
They actually wore that in the first game of a DH against the Sox at Comiskey in 71 or 72. The Sox split beating Jim Palmer I think.

Lip

I could see it working as a road uniform, considering that the home team has dibs on white.

I recall that the San Diego Padres had yellow road uniforms one year, and Ozzie Smith wore it to the All-Star Game in an NL city, passing it off as a home uniform because it said "San Diego" across the chest. The mayor asked the Padres to boost the city at the All-Star Game that year. I don't remember, though, if the Padres actually had a yellow home uniform.

As far as white pants at home go, I don't know how I could have forgotten the late 1970s home uniforms had navy blue pants. There was probably an all-white uniform, but I don't remember if it was worn much, if at all. The shorts, that were only worn once, for the second game of a doubleheader in August 1976, were navy blue.

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2008, 01:21 AM
The Charlie Finley A's had to get special permission to wear the gold vest/pants with Kelly green sleeves and socks, both road and home, back in the sixties, because the rule then was the home team wore white, the visiting team wore other than white. That pretty much opened the floodgates.

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 01:22 AM
The Charlie Finley A's had to get special permission to wear the gold vest/pants with Kelly green sleeves and socks, both road and home, back in the sixties, because the rule then was the home team wore white, the visiting team wore other than white. That pretty much opened the floodgates.

****in' finley...