PDA

View Full Version : All Star Ballot / 1B

Sad
05-01-2002, 01:01 PM
just wandered over to MLB.com and voted...
it appears Mr. Konerko is not listed as our first baseman, Frank is...

is this Deja-Vu?

who puts these things together anyway?
they obviously don't know their @$$ from first base
(heh! I kill me...)

if you DON'T select a first baseman you can write-in Paul at the bottom of the page... it appears once you select a player you cannot de-select so skip that section and write his name in at the bottom of the page (if you feel he is All-Star material that is like me...)

GO SOX!

Foulke You
05-01-2002, 01:10 PM
It probably has to do with the fact that an NL park is hosting the allstar game this year and DHs appear in the 1B column because they don't know where else to put them. It still is no excuse for Paulie not to be on the list. Don't worry though. I plan on stuffing the boxes this year. I want Lofton, Maggs, Paulie, and Frank to be on the team. Frank deserves it after getting hosed in 2000 and left off the team. Can anyone but a White Sox player finish 2nd in MVP voting but left off the all star team?

Iwritecode
05-01-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Sad
just wandered over to MLB.com and voted...
it appears Mr. Konerko is not listed as our first baseman, Frank is...

is this Deja-Vu?

who puts these things together anyway?
they obviously don't know their @$$ from first base
(heh! I kill me...)

if you DON'T select a first baseman you can write-in Paul at the bottom of the page... it appears once you select a player you cannot de-select so skip that section and write his name in at the bottom of the page (if you feel he is All-Star material that is like me...)

GO SOX!

Somebody said that they just chose the players from everyone's opening day lineup. I didn't know that Frank was manning first on opening day. I can see what they are trying to do but how hard would it be to double-check these things? Everyone who knows baseball should know that Frank is not our everyday first baseman.

kermittheefrog
05-01-2002, 01:21 PM
Teams are allowed to pick who appears on the ballot for them and at what position.

Iwritecode
05-01-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Teams are allowed to pick who appears on the ballot for them and at what position.

Ah, well there goes that theory. I guess the Sox figure Frank is a bigger name and will perhaps draw more votes even though Paulie may deserve it more.

Doesn't an all-star appearance void that "diminished skills" clause in Frank's contract too? That could be another deciding factor.

bjmarte
05-01-2002, 01:36 PM
From my understanding it doesn't void it but it keeps the Sox from invoking it for the next season.

Jjav829
05-01-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Ah, well there goes that theory. I guess the Sox figure Frank is a bigger name and will perhaps draw more votes even though Paulie may deserve it more.

That's exactly the reason why Frank is there. While Paulie may have the numbers, Frank has the name power. Konerko should be on there, but when you think about it, it doesn't really matter. Baring an injury theres this guy named Giambi (no not Jeremy) who is going to be starting at 1B in the all star game anyway. Konerko's only chance is to keep up the production and hope Torre chooses him.

voodoochile
05-01-2002, 01:56 PM
From my understanding it doesn't void it but it keeps the Sox from invoking it for the next season/

Wonder if it's part of Frank and JR's meeting of the minds from the contract dispute last year. JR probably agreed to list Frank no matter where the game was being played - NL/AL it doesn't matter.

Besides as was already pointed out, Frank has the name power (though Paulie is in the process of becoming recognized) and the AS game is all about stars, always has been, always will be... Whoever manages the AL will definitely grab Paulie if he keeps up this pace - over 100 RBI's by the AS game...

Chisox_cali
05-01-2002, 03:23 PM
I really hope that those latte drinking yuppies dont meander to the nearest internet cafe and start stuffing the ballot boxes full Mariners like last year. God that was a ****in debacle if i've ever seen one. It was the Mariners vs. The NL All-Stars for Christs Sake!!! :angry:

cheeses_h_rice
05-01-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
I really hope that those latte drinking yuppies dont meander to the nearest internet cafe and start stuffing the ballot boxes full Mariners like last year. God that was a ****in debacle if i've ever seen one. It was the Mariners vs. The NL All-Stars for Christs Sake!!! :angry:

I believe that Japanese voters (who wanted to vote for Ichiro and probably put every Mariners name on there, too, seeing they probably don't even have any idea who the other players are) affected the 2001 vote in a huge way, thanks to the internet.

Soxboyrob
05-01-2002, 03:57 PM
While we're on this topic of the All Star game and Frank and Paulie and all, I saw a note on the Sox Diamondivision last night that said Frank has 5 career at bats in 3 all star games.
THREE FRIGGING GAMES?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!!??????!!!!?????
FIVE AT-BATS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Unbelievable that a guy w/ the career Frank has had has played in only 3 All-Star games....and then Torre had the gaul to leave him off the team in 2000. Only the Sox.

Moses_Scurry
05-01-2002, 04:15 PM
I have a question. I went to last nights game and I didn't see any ballots anywhere. Yet on TV, I saw other parks had ballots out. At least that's what it looked like. What's going on? Where are the ballots at Comiskey Park?? Do they always get to a late start? It's probably unlikely, but is it possible that the poor voting for Sox players could be helped if they had the ballots out ASAFP?

foulkesfan11
05-01-2002, 04:33 PM
I think that the whole All Star Ballot thing is a damn joke. Stupid bandwagon fans who don't know anything about baseball, just vote for players whose names they hear all the time. I can remember when Ivan Rodriguez won for catcher when he hadn't even played all season from an injury. I get angry because of this every year.

I think that the Managers should vote who gets in to the All-Star game. Even if Paul Konerko had a batting average of .600, he still wouldn't get in there because more people know of Jim Thome, John Olerud & Jason Giambi. It's pathetic.

Cheryl
05-01-2002, 05:18 PM
I agree with Foulkesfan. Too many people who vote their hearts or vote for household names.

WinningUgly!
05-01-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
While we're on this topic of the All Star game and Frank and Paulie and all, I saw a note on the Sox Diamondivision last night that said Frank has 5 career at bats in 3 all star games.
THREE FRIGGING GAMES?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!!!!??????!!!!?????
FIVE AT-BATS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Unbelievable that a guy w/ the career Frank has had has played in only 3 All-Star games....and then Torre had the gaul to leave him off the team in 2000. Only the Sox.

Only 3 AS games for Frank is a joke, but there is always a log-jam at the 1B position.