PDA

View Full Version : Why all the angst over one Cubs loss?

It's Time
05-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Seriously, if you read the papers or turned on the radio yesterday and today, you'd think the Cubs just lost game 7 of the World series.

Wood this, Marmol that, Piniella this, Soriano that.

100%, full blown coverage of a May 1st loss.

Hmmm. I could have swore the White Sox have had some equally tough losses as well and I don't see the mass hysteria in the media when that happens.

TomBradley72
05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Seriously, if you read the papers or turned on the radio yesterday and today, you'd think the Cubs just lost game 7 of the World series.

Hmmm. I could have swore the White Sox have had some equally tough losses as well and I don't see the mass hysteria in the media when that happens.

That's the great thing about the Cubs obsession in Chicago. Their "popularity" helps them fill the seats even when they suck....but it also crushes in around them when they are expected to win/contend. Best example was the 2004 season.

SoxGirl4Life
05-02-2008, 10:25 AM

You can't seriously be asking why, right?

It's Time
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
You can't seriously be asking why, right?

Yes, I can. I have never heard the media beat to death a loss on May 1st like they are this one.

It's a May friggin 1st loss.:scratch:

aryzner
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I think I read enough angst from here and would rather not also hear about it from the media. So the media can talk about a Cubs loss all they want, I don't care.

turners56
05-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Kerry Wood is a bad closer, Marmol is a beast.

Jerko
05-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I don't know, we get pretty negative about **** after the Sox lose. Our season is already over according to some in the past few game-day threads.

Yesterday was "special" because:

1. Manager leaves guy in closer role who Cub fans don't want there. Said guy being the face of the "warm and fuzzy" era....

2. Manager puts brittle underachieving superstar mega-millionaire back in the leadoff spot, who promptly goes o-fer and misplays a fly ball because he "makes too much money to be taken out"

3. Manager gets questioned on camera and has a mini-eruption.

soxfan21
05-02-2008, 10:53 AM
I was kinda glad that Wood lost this one after seeing commercials for WGN to "celebrate" the 10th anniversary of Wood's 20 strikeout game. Didn't think that this was 10 years ago, seemed more like 5 or 6.

SoxGirl4Life
05-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Yes, I can. I have never heard the media beat to death a loss on May 1st like they are this one.

My point being, the media doesn't get as worked up for anything Sox as they do Cubs.

kittle42
05-02-2008, 10:56 AM
My point being, the media doesn't get as worked up for anything Sox as they do Cubs.

That's probably a good thing.

turners56
05-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't know, we get pretty negative about **** after the Sox lose. Our season is already over according to some in the past few game-day threads.

Yesterday was "special" because:

1. Manager leaves guy in closer role who Cub fans don't want there. Said guy being the face of the "warm and fuzzy" era....

2. Manager puts brittle underachieving superstar mega-millionaire back in the leadoff spot, who promptly goes o-fer and misplays a fly ball because he "makes too much money to be taken out"

3. Manager gets questioned on camera and has a mini-eruption.

I think Cubs fans are forgetting that, if Marmol hadn't pitched the 7th and 8th, the Brewers probably would of scored anyhow. Kerry Wood just isn't very good period, Bob Howry sucks, so does most of their bullpen right now, they have no choice but to put Marmol in a middle relief/set up role. Marmol can't pitch 3 freaking innings, that's way too much to ask.

turners56
05-02-2008, 11:00 AM

As if the people on this site aren't worried enough after a 14-12 April. We don't need the media to help and dig the same grave.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-02-2008, 11:01 AM

That's not true. The media doesn't get worked up for anything POSITIVE Sox as they do Cubs. The media also doesn't good spin the Sox as much as they do the Cubs.

The Cubs drop two to the Nationals...no biggie.

The Sox split with the Orioles, lose two to the Twins, retain 1st place, and they are "struggling".

SoxGirl4Life
05-02-2008, 11:02 AM
As if the people on this site aren't worried enough after a 14-12 April. We don't need the media to help and dig the same grave.

I wasn't complaining about it.

TomBradley72
05-02-2008, 11:16 AM
That's not true. The media doesn't get worked up for anything POSITIVE Sox as they do Cubs. The media also doesn't good spin the Sox as much as they do the Cubs.

The Cubs drop two to the Nationals...no biggie.

The Sox split with the Orioles, lose two to the Twins, retain 1st place, and they are "struggling".

We've lost 7 or our last 12...and have dropped to the middle of the pack in winning percentage in the AL...we ARE struggling.

DumpJerry
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
It was pretty funny last night on The Score. I got in my car at around 6:45- talking Cubs. Callers are ready to kill and commit suicide. Out of the car from 7:20-9:00, when I get back in, nothing but Cubs and the callers have gone through twelve days' worth of Prozac and it's not working. Out of car for a bit and get home at 10:00-callers are still screaming about the Cubs.

I had to check the calender to make sure I did not oversleep yesterday and it was Sept. 28th and the Cubs just got eliminated.

Mercy.

itsnotrequired
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM

Sounds like WSI after a Sox loss.

fquaye149
05-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Sounds like WSI after a Sox loss.

or sons of sam horn after a red sawx loss!

PatK
05-02-2008, 01:02 PM
I was kinda glad that Wood lost this one after seeing commercials for WGN to "celebrate" the 10th anniversary of Wood's 20 strikeout game. Didn't think that this was 10 years ago, seemed more like 5 or 6.

With all the time Wood's been on the DL, it was about 5-6 seasons ago.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Kerry Wood is a bad closer, Marmol is a beast.

Marmol has some filthy stuff. If Piniella had any brains he would have him close instead. Oh wait, I shouldn't call him stupid...

twsoxfan5
05-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I just feel like it was a tough loss for them and that is why everyone is talking about it. It will go away tonight when they play their next game. I felt like they did after we lost that game to the Orioles. When you have lead and your closer comes in and blows it in the ninth that is a tough one to take and it sticks for a while. At least for me.

kaufsox
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
It was pretty funny last night on The Score. I got in my car at around 6:45- talking Cubs. Callers are ready to kill and commit suicide. Out of the car from 7:20-9:00, when I get back in, nothing but Cubs and the callers have gone through twelve days' worth of Prozac and it's not working. Out of car for a bit and get home at 10:00-callers are still screaming about the Cubs.

I had to check the calender to make sure I did not oversleep yesterday and it was Sept. 28th and the Cubs just got eliminated.

Mercy.

did you hear the moron who said he became a grandfather yesterday and that the Cubs loss "ruined his day?" Who ever the host was just shouted at him, "no matter what, you're a winner today." and the guy responded, "yeah, I guess. But the Cubs mean so much to me." That goes beyond absurd to pathetic.

This topic is very much in line with something Boers and Bernstein spoke about the other day: All of the games are "too important." They were blasting the fans and media (conspicuously absent was any criticism of talk radio :rolleyes:) Making every game played seem like game seven. Talking about big basketball games in November, a crucial series for the Cubs this weekend, etc. I have to agree, folks need to gain some perspective. Seasons are long, one bad game or series is not the end of the world.

Sad
05-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Marmol has some filthy stuff. If Piniella had any brains he would have him close instead. Oh wait, I shouldn't call him stupid...

Howry's gotta get his **** figured out first, then it's likely to happen if this keeps up...

alohafri
05-02-2008, 01:48 PM
did you hear the moron who said he became a grandfather yesterday and that the Cubs loss "ruined his day?" Who ever the host was just shouted at him, "no matter what, you're a winner today." and the guy responded, "yeah, I guess. But the Cubs mean so much to me." .

Looks like someone needs :help:

doublem23
05-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Who gets the Cubs from their starters' usual workload of 5 innings to Marmol, then? The Cubs don't have the arms to fill the amount of innings Piniella keeps asking their 'pen to pitch.

rwcescato
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM

What do you expect. i have never read or heard so much talk about winning the World Series and its our year when they win a few games in April. This kind of talk is absurd especially when it comes from the media and players not just the fans. Do you think World series talk is coming out of St. Luis and Milwaukee. They are all just laughing at Chicago and all the hype that is surrounding the Northside circus. This would only make it more pleasant if some how the Sox could do something special this year.
:bandance:
Rich

VeeckAsInWreck
05-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Who gets the Cubs from their starters' usual workload of 5 innings to Marmol, then? The Cubs don't have the arms to fill the amount of innings Piniella keeps asking their 'pen to pitch.

I would just switch the roles that Wood and Marmol have. Marmol has the kind of stuff you shut a team down with in the 9th.

Iwritecode
05-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I would just switch the roles that Wood and Marmol have. Marmol has the kind of stuff you shut a team down with in the 9th.

Then Wood would just be blowing the game in the 7th and 8th inning instead of the ninth...

PatK
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Wood's arm wouldn't hold up.

russ99
05-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I attribute it to everything being ratcheted up due to the 100-year anniversary.

So you know things are really gonna be nutty up north when they miss the playoffs this year. :tongue:

veeter
05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I was kinda glad that Wood lost this one after seeing commercials for WGN to "celebrate" the 10th anniversary of Wood's 20 strikeout game. Didn't think that this was 10 years ago, seemed more like 5 or 6.Their fans and the media act like it was 5 or 6 DAYS ago.

SoxGirl4Life
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
a poster on Fox.com on an article about Soriano:

"the cubs should trade soriano to the white sox for carlos quentin. quentin is younger and has hit more homeruns."
:kneeslap:

twsoxfan5
05-02-2008, 05:30 PM

"the cubs should trade soriano to the white sox for carlos quentin. quentin is younger and has hit more homeruns."
They can't have him.

RadioheadRocks
05-03-2008, 12:45 AM

See tomorrow's papers for Part Deux!

chisoxfanatic
05-03-2008, 01:38 AM
See tomorrow's papers for Part Deux!

Absolutely beautiful!!! AND I got a hold by McClellan in my fantasy team on top of it! Holds are the most golden category in my head-to-head league.

What a friggen awesome night this has been!

The Dude
05-03-2008, 02:55 AM

Mercy.

Prozac takes about 4 to 6 weeks to take effect if they just started therapy. So if they just started, it wouldn't work after 12 days. :gulp:

itsnotrequired
05-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Prozac takes about 4 to 6 weeks to take effect if they just started therapy. So if they just started, it wouldn't work after 12 days. :gulp:

www.pharmacyinteractive.com

spiffie
05-03-2008, 11:48 AM

Only if they throw in Kerry Wood too. Did you know he once struck out 20 guys in ONE GAME?

TommyJohn
05-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Their fans and the media act like it was 5 or 6 DAYS ago.

And we're the ones who are told not to "live in the past."

Steelrod
05-03-2008, 02:33 PM

:kneeslap:Wouldn't trade Uribe for him and his contract!:rolleyes: