PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Bringing "Spirit of the Minor Leagues" to Wrigley

TomBradley72
05-02-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/927683,CST-SPT-csep02.article

PatK
05-02-2008, 09:37 AM
This one is too easy to make jokes about.

Risk
05-02-2008, 09:42 AM

Must resist. Oh what the hell.

"The Cubs have been playing minor league baseball at Wrigley for 100 years.":D:

Risk

eriqjaffe
05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I liked this part:

MOD EDIT: Please do not paste text from copyrighted sites, such as the Sun-Times' website, on our boards.

So...uh...Ryno can't imagine what it will be like to play in Wrigley? :scratch:

SoxGirl4Life
05-02-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm guessing they'll sell the place out. Then start planting the seed of having minor league games for all the Cubs off days. Considering that the baseball is the secondary attraction at Wrigley, they could make a pretty good chunk of change charging about 10 bucks a seat and keeping the concession prices the same.

Jerko
05-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm guessing they'll sell the place out. Then start planting the seed of having minor league games for all the Cubs off days. Considering that the baseball is the secondary attraction at Wrigley, they could make a pretty good chunk of change charging about 10 bucks a seat and keeping the concession prices the same.

True, but sooner or later the minor league teams will complain about the inferior accomodations.

hi im skot
05-02-2008, 10:11 AM
This sounds cool...it could be a lot of fun.

TomBradley72
05-02-2008, 10:20 AM
This sounds cool...it could be a lot of fun.

An event like this happens nearly every day in the summertime in the Chicago area...Kane County Cougars games, Schaumburg Flyers games, etc.

kraut83
05-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Pretty sweet idea.

If the Sox had any affiliates close enough, I would love to see a minor league/Sox doubleheader.

hi im skot
05-02-2008, 10:38 AM
An event like this happens nearly every day in the summertime in the Chicago area...Kane County Cougars games, Schaumburg Flyers games, etc.

And those are also quite fun. I hope to get back to the QC to see the River Bandits this summer.

TomBradley72
05-02-2008, 11:14 AM
And those are also quite fun. I hope to get back to the QC to see the River Bandits this summer.

My wife went to Palmer....so I took in a few games when I'd go to Davenport...great ballpark...great view of the bridge over the Mississippi. I think they're called the "Swing" now.

hi im skot
05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
My wife went to Palmer....so I took in a few games when I'd go to Davenport...great ballpark...great view of the bridge over the Mississippi. I think they're called the "Swing" now.

They were the swing from I believe 2004-2007. I worked as a cameraman for them occasionally a few years ago, and my friend is the public address announcer.

They have new ownership now, and renamed the team the River Bandits.

http://quadcity.riverbandits.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t565

champagne030
05-02-2008, 11:31 AM

Absolutely. The past couple of seasons have seen Bruce, Cueto, Maybin, Danks, Kershaw, Rasmus and Upton among others who have played in Geneva.

skottyj242
05-02-2008, 11:52 AM

I actually bet a guy that it won't sell out.

TomBradley72
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
They were the swing from I believe 2004-2007. I worked as a cameraman for them occasionally a few years ago, and my friend is the public address announcer.

They have new ownership now, and renamed the team the River Bandits.

http://quadcity.riverbandits.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t565

Smart move...much better name...

doublem23
05-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Wrigley Field > Crap Stadium the Cougars play in

I would actually love if the Cell and Wrigley could hose more minor league games. The minor league park in the Chicagoland area that I've been to that wasn't pretty ****ty was Silver Cross Field in Joliet. Hell, even our park here in Peoria is pretty new and nice, but it pales in comparison to any MLB park I've been to.

bestkosher
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Before the League went Interleague there were charity games between the Sox and Cubs each season. How about a return of that with a twist. It could be a futures game with the cubs AAA vs. the white sox AAA alternating venues each year.

champagne030
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM

Nah. They've got good food, cheap beer and urinals. I'll take Elfstrom Stadium over the non-existent amenities of the Urinal every day of the week.

spiffie
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM

I would actually love if the Cell and Wrigley could hose more minor league games. The minor league park in the Chicagoland area that I've been to that wasn't pretty ****ty was Silver Cross Field in Joliet. Hell, even our park here in Peoria is pretty new and nice, but it pales in comparison to any MLB park I've been to.
It would be cool, but on the other hand the OF has looked pretty bad this year in the couple visits I have made to USCF. I have seen some pretty ugly patches out there, and am thinking that any more strain on the turf could get that field rough in a hurry.

doublem23
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Nah. They've got good food, cheap beer and urinals. I'll take Elfstrom Stadium over the non-existent amenities of the Urinal every day of the week.

:dunno:

To each their own, but when I lived in the city, the drive to Geneva was awful especially considering the Cougars play in a park that's about as nice as some high school and college parks I've been to. Silver Cross Field in Joliet is the only one worth the trek.

kaufsox
05-02-2008, 01:40 PM
for the price, I'm thinking taking the boy's tee ball team might be a hoot!

TomBradley72
05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Before the League went Interleague there were charity games between the Sox and Cubs each season. How about a return of that with a twist. It could be a futures game with the cubs AAA vs. the white sox AAA alternating venues each year.

That's a very cool idea...

PatK
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
The Gary Railcats Steelyard is nice.

And they've won the Northern League Championship 2 of the last 3 seasons

Sad
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM

that looks like a nice park-
I can see it from the South Shore when I occasionally ride the train in from Mi. City...

ksimpson14
05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
This is the thing the Red Sox did that I think is a great idea. I wish the Sox would do it. I suggested them doing something like this to tack on to the rest of the Baltimore game for the suspended game so people could get their money's worth

TomBradley72
05-02-2008, 03:53 PM
:dunno:

To each their own, but when I lived in the city, the drive to Geneva was awful especially considering the Cougars play in a park that's about as nice as some high school and college parks I've been to. Silver Cross Field in Joliet is the only one worth the trek.

Alexian Field in Roselle/Schaumburg (where the Flyers play) is a nice minor league park.

Jenks4Prez
05-02-2008, 03:54 PM
That article made me puke in my mouth

doublem23
05-02-2008, 04:33 PM
This is the thing the Red Sox did that I think is a great idea. I wish the Sox would do it. I suggested them doing something like this to tack on to the rest of the Baltimore game for the suspended game so people could get their money's worth

All right, but the suspended game is going to be finished in Baltimore (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080429&content_id=2608513&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

I want Mags back
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM

yet to be in it, but Ive driven past it numerosu times. that park looks gorgeous

hi im skot
05-02-2008, 05:20 PM
That article made me puke in my mouth

INTERNET CLICHE ALERT

Nellie_Fox
05-03-2008, 01:39 AM

Nah. They've got good food, cheap beer and urinals. I'll take Elfstrom Stadium over the non-existent amenities of the Urinal every day of the week.Love the pork chop sandwich at Elfstrom. The only thing Wrigley has over it is more seats. Kane County is a great minor-league baseball experience. Of course minor league parks "pale in comparison" to major league parks. That's not the point. It's class A ball. You get a great view and a good time in Geneva.
http://www.ballparkdigest.com/images/kane_county/kane_county_4_med.jpg

RadioheadRocks
05-03-2008, 01:54 AM
While they're at it, why don't they celebrate the Spirit of '76? Or maybe the Spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future? Or maybe Spirits in the Material World?

TornLabrum
05-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Elfstrom Stadium is undergoing a renovation this off-season. http://www.kccougars.com/20080214stadium.html

Nellie_Fox
05-04-2008, 03:45 AM
Elfstrom Stadium is undergoing a renovation this off-season. http://www.kccougars.com/20080214stadium.htmlMaking it an even better experience. Thanks for the update.

scarsofthumper
05-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I might just have to go to this. I've only been to one KCG game and that was a long time ago. This summer will also be my first Flyers game (I live 5 minutes from the park now). I just wish the Flyers and Joliet Jackhammers were actually affiliated teams.

As far as Alexian Field goes, it was actually loosely modeled off of Wrigley Field, as in the 80s the land was purchased to build a new Wrigley should the Cubs ever move.

The Critic
05-04-2008, 05:09 PM
While they're at it, why don't they celebrate the Spirit of '76? Or maybe the Spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future? Or maybe Spirits in the Material World?

They did that last year, when the Police played there.
:D:

TornLabrum
05-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I might just have to go to this. I've only been to one KCG game and that was a long time ago. This summer will also be my first Flyers game (I live 5 minutes from the park now). I just wish the Flyers and Joliet Jackhammers were actually affiliated teams.

As far as Alexian Field goes, it was actually loosely modeled off of Wrigley Field, as in the 80s the land was purchased to build a new Wrigley should the Cubs ever move.

You'll have to wait a year for it. I left out the year "coming." "This coming off-season..."

ondafarm
05-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Fish in a barrel here.

Ziggy S
05-04-2008, 11:43 PM

They're going to celebrate Jesus fighting Santa and Cartman insulting Kyle for being Jewish?

soxpride724
05-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Pretty sweet idea.

If the Sox had any affiliates close enough, I would love to see a minor league/Sox doubleheader.
I agree and.I think its a cool idea. Not so sure I would give up one of my rare night games to do it though.