PDA

View Full Version : Canseco--Blackballed ?

Paulwny
05-01-2002, 11:22 AM
Canseco thinks he's being blackballed by mlb.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam020501/mlb_canseco-sun.html

Moses_Scurry
05-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Hard to believe they would blackball Canseco after Darryl Strawberry has been repeatedly forgiven for much worse than Canseco's done. But, I guess anything's possible.

Foulke You
05-01-2002, 12:58 PM
It sounds reasonable to me. You have to ask yourself why teams like Kansas City, Detroit, or even the friggin Cubs for that matter wouldn't want a guy like Canseco who could instantly provide presence and power in the lineup? It just don't make sense. I agree with Canseco, are all of the DHs in the American League better then him? I think not.

cheeses_h_rice
05-01-2002, 01:05 PM
"Blackballed" is such a strong term for it. To me, that implies collusion among all the GMs in baseball, saying "don't sign Canseco, he's a menace."

The reality of it is that DHs in the AL who can hit .260 and belt out 30-40 HRs are probably not all that rare. Add to that fact that the majority of DHs could probably play a little D if pushed, and Canseco starts to look less and less desirable. His one plus is that he'd work cheap -- you figure someone out there might wanna bargain shop.

RedPinStripes
05-01-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
It sounds reasonable to me. You have to ask yourself why teams like Kansas City, Detroit, or even the friggin Cubs for that matter wouldn't want a guy like Canseco who could instantly provide presence and power in the lineup? It just don't make sense. I agree with Canseco, are all of the DHs in the American League better then him? I think not.

Why the hell wouldn't Detroit or KC make an offer before the Sox?
Maybe KW pulled a King George? Just made sure The Indians or Twinkies didn't get him?

Mathew
05-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Again I like what he did for the team last year and his attitude was admirable, but in Anaheim he batted about .220 and didn't hit much. In Chicago he hit 16 Hrs to bat .258 and K a helluva lot. I agree that a really bad team could improve themselves with his presence, but does a really bad team need to be giving at bats to a 37 yr old slugger? He's not being blackballed, he is simply not in demand.

Foulke You
05-01-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
Again I like what he did for the team last year and his attitude was admirable, but in Anaheim he batted about .220 and didn't hit much. In Chicago he hit 16 Hrs to bat .258 and K a helluva lot. I agree that a really bad team could improve themselves with his presence, but does a really bad team need to be giving at bats to a 37 yr old slugger? He's not being blackballed, he is simply not in demand.

True, but you would think that a really bad team that is struggling with attendance would like to spark interest by bringing a big name like Canseco in who is chasing 500 HR for a trip to the HOF. It's not like Canseco would cost a lot either. The guy would play for the minimum just for a chance to play. Say what you want about Canseco but the guy is an exciting ball player. He is a guy who people might pay to see.

Personally, I hope we hold onto him and bring him up when rosters expand in September. Keep him for an extra bat off the bench for the stretch drive.

Cheryl
05-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Maybe he just stinks, that's why no one wants him on their team.

RedPinStripes
05-01-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Maybe he just stinks, that's why no one wants him on their team.

He didn't stink last year.

Cheryl
05-01-2002, 05:28 PM
.258 with 16 HR's and a bazillion K's. That's awful for a DH.

RedPinStripes
05-01-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
.258 with 16 HR's and a bazillion K's. That's awful for a DH.

In less then half a season. Why don't you bring that up? Or his rbi'? He did a lot for this team last year. you can't take that away from him.

palehosemike
05-01-2002, 05:36 PM
The problem that I have with Jose is that he is playing as an individual. He is not a team oritented guy - he wants on a roster so he can get his 500 home runs. He feels that if he reaches that mark he will get into the Hall of Fame. He could care less about making a team a contender. The Expos told him that he would not be an everyday player and that is not what he wanted to hear and ended up in our Farm System.

Check out the Farm Report - I have a Jose tracker now - He is batting .250 at AAA (PiTiFuL) I personally feel his time has come & gone. He can stay in the minors with his brother Ozzie as far as I am concerned.

:canseco

hold2dibber
05-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Here is a list of players who filled the DH slot last night:

Segui
Offerman*
Fullmer*
Branyan
R. Ibanez*
B. Inge*
Hatteberg
Coomer*
Greer
S. Stewart
Sierra
Thomas
Vaughn*
Buchanan*

* Guys who, IMHO, based upon what I saw out of Conseco last year, cannot match Canseco offensively. He's also just as good, if not better, than Branyan and Hatteberg. Plus, other than Coomer, Offerman and Fullmer (Yankees, Red Sox and Angels), the other "*" teams play in small markets where Conseco would probably provide a much needed attendance boost. I'm frankly surprised that the Twinks didn't try to sign him -- they don't have a big bopper in the line up and Jose would have been dirt cheap. Too late now, though - no way the Sox would trade him to the Twins.

RedPinStripes
05-01-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by palehosemike
The problem that I have with Jose is that he is playing as an individual. He is not a team oritented guy - he wants on a roster so he can get his 500 home runs. He feels that if he reaches that mark he will get into the Hall of Fame. He could care less about making a team a contender. The Expos told him that he would not be an everyday player and that is not what he wanted to hear and ended up in our Farm System.

Check out the Farm Report - I have a Jose tracker now - He is batting .250 at AAA (PiTiFuL) I personally feel his time has come & gone. He can stay in the minors with his brother Ozzie as far as I am concerned.

:canseco

There might not be room for him on hte Sox, but I don't see why the rays, tigers, royals, anehiem, toranto, wouldn't want him?

Cheryl
05-01-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

In less then half a season. Why don't you bring that up? Or his rbi'? He did a lot for this team last year. you can't take that away from him.

Okay--he struck out a bazillion times in half a season.

Look--the guy never lived up to his potential, and now he's toast.

I certainly don't ever want to see him in any major league uniform again.

palehosemike
05-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Good point Red,

Though the teams you mentioned, "rays, tigers, royals, anehiem, and toronto" all have young talent or prospects that would get the chance of playing everyday before Jose would.

Jose wants to play everyday to reach 500. Most teams don't want to make that commitment to him early in the season. Now after the All-Star break you might see a few contending teams interested in Jose if they have injuries or they have an extra slot when rosters expand.

KW says he took him to make good on a promise - I think of it as an insurance policy on the Big Hurt.

RedPinStripes
05-01-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by palehosemike
Good point Red,

Though the teams you mentioned, "rays, tigers, royals, anehiem, and toronto" all have young talent or prospects that would get the chance of playing everyday before Jose would.

Jose wants to play everyday to reach 500. Most teams don't want to make that commitment to him early in the season. Now after the All-Star break you might see a few contending teams interested in Jose if they have injuries or they have an extra slot when rosters expand.

KW says he took him to make good on a promise - I think of it as an insurance policy on the Big Hurt.

All those teams i mentioned definatly have room for him in htere lineup. I don't think he's fit for our team now, but he's still good enough to be in mlb.

KW picking him must have been to cover frank. It makes no sense otherwise.

doctor30th
05-01-2002, 06:32 PM
Well I really do think KW gave him the contract because he felt he deserved some Job in baseball after how good he was for us.

giving him a place to keep his talents sharp and show other teams how he's still good was number one. It's just a plus that if Frank goes down he'd be there and that when another team wants him, they have to trade with us to get him.

Mathew
05-01-2002, 06:53 PM
So he trashes the MLB in hopes of what, getting a job in Major League Baseball? We hate Jom Parque and love Canseco hmmmmm?

doctor30th
05-01-2002, 07:00 PM
Except Jim Parque doesn't have the talent to back up his mouth.

Cheryl
05-01-2002, 07:21 PM
Re-reading that article, he sounds about like what Sam-Me's going to sound like once his steroid use catches up with him too.

kermittheefrog
05-01-2002, 07:33 PM
So he trashes the MLB in hopes of what, getting a job in Major League Baseball? We hate Jom Parque and love Canseco hmmmmm?

I love Parque and Canseco. :cool:

doublem23
05-01-2002, 08:03 PM

Well, we have a few fans of Butter around here...

I really hate him, and I'm just a lot louder than everyone else! :D:

WinningUgly!
05-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

KW picking him must have been to cover frank. It makes no sense otherwise.

He might also make for a nice "sweetener" in a deal at the deadline. :?: