PDA

View Full Version : Santo & Dahl's Favorite Things...

DrCrawdad
05-01-2008, 08:19 PM
In the Tribune today there are articles about why Steve Dahl loves The Cell and why Santo loves Wrigley.

In the article Santo mentions seeing Wrigley Field on his TV when he was growing up in Seattle.

Santo was born in 1940 and was signed by the Cubbies in 1959. So, in the years of say 1945-1959, would the Cubbies have been on TV in Seattle? And how often would they have been on Seattle TV?

And on the other hand Santo, either showing his stupidity or pandering to the Cubbie fans, likes to say that he didn't know that the Sox played in Chicago.

Dahl's comments are funny on The Cell.

TornLabrum
05-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Santo was born in 1940 and was signed by the Cubbies in 1959. So, in the years of say 1945-1959, would the Cubbies have been on TV in Seattle? And how often would they have been on Seattle TV?

Game of the Week with Dizzy Dean.

DrCrawdad
05-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Game of the Week with Dizzy Dean.

With your mention I turned to Wikipedia and its article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_Game_of_the_Week#1950s)on Game Of The Week.

In April 1953 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953#April), Edgar ****face set out to sell teams rights but instead, only got the Philadelphia Athletics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Philadelphia_Athletics_season), Cleveland Indians (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Cleveland_Indians_season), and Chicago White Sox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Chicago_White_Sox_season) to sign on.

Is that (well let's say, Fecalface) really the guy's name? Or did someone goof with the Wikipedia entry?

DrCrawdad
05-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Anyone know where there is a list of the games that were broadcast on Game Of The Week in the 1950's?

Hitmen77
05-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Links:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-01-dahl-loves-cellmay01,0,693410.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-01-santo-loves-wrigleymay01,0,6309014.story

oeo
05-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Is that (well let's say, Fecalface) really the guy's name? Or did someone goof with the Wikipedia entry?

Somebody screwed with it. Checking an old version, his name is Edgar Scherick.

Brian26
05-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Didn't see the article.

How many "chick-scoping-bench" mentions for the "Joan"?

JohnTucker0814
05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Santo's piece was kind of funny, not once did he talk about anything except the "feeling" that you get when you play at wrigley and that you have to talk about wrigleyville as well, the bars and restaurants... I go to Wrigley once in a while because I am a baseball fan, but I don't eat anything when I'm there and I show up at game time... I don't try to get there to just hang out at the ballpark like I do at the Cell...

MarySwiss
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I loved the way Steve kept returning to the "urinals" issue! Genius! That actually nails it right there. Cell has urinals; Wrigley doesn't. :smile:

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I loved the way Steve kept returning to the "urinals" issue! Genius! That actually nails it right there. Cell has urinals; Wrigley doesn't. :smile:

I agree with Dahl's premise 100%, but I'm wondering why and how the lack of urinals affects you personally!

:)

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2008, 09:59 PM

Well, Wrigley DOES have A "Urinal" per say! It IS a Urinal!

MarySwiss
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I agree with Dahl's premise 100%, but I'm wondering why and how the lack of urinals affects you personally!

:)

Ah, shaddap!

Actually, when I first heard that Wrigley had troughs--from my brother--I thought he was kidding. How would I know? (It's kind of like the "shrinkage" thing; men think that women know about it, but we really don't. After all, it's not like we usually encounter you guys naked right after you come out of a dip in a cold water pool!) But MrMarySwiss verified the whole trough thing.

And I for one find it seriously disgusting. In a third-world country with a lack of adequate plumbing, okay. But on the North Side of Chicago, in an area that tries to sell itself as "trendy"? Ewwww!

kaufsox
05-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Ah, shaddap!

Actually, when I first heard that Wrigley had troughs--from my brother--I thought he was kidding. How would I know? (It's kind of like the "shrinkage" thing; men think that women know about it, but we really don't. After all, it's not like we usually encounter you guys naked right after you come out of a dip in a cold water pool!) But MrMarySwiss verified the whole trough thing.

And I for one find it seriously disgusting. In a third-world country with a lack of adequate plumbing, okay. But on the North Side of Chicago, in an area that tries to sell itself as "trendy"? Ewwww!

thank god for Seinfeld spreading eternal truths. The troughs are pretty gross, especially by the late innings. Peanut shells and urine are not a lovely stew.

As far as Santo's piece, it was really weak. Wrigley evokes nostalgia, great anything of substance to add? And after all the warm fuzzies for remembering a simpler time that never existed, what does that park have to offer that any number of parks built in the last 80 years can't top. Santo's writing is as clever as his commentating

NADA SURF
05-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Ah, shaddap!

All of Wrigleyville is a Third World Country.

NADA SURF
05-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I was wondering if any of the old-timers on here remember when Steve Dahl was first allowed back at Sox Park after Disco Demolition?...
It was, I think, in 1981 and Dahl had his afternoon show broadcast from the press box....
With him was Les Grobstein, who was the perfect straight man for him. Grobstein was situated on the field...
I was driving home on the 94 to Waukegan from Skokie and this is what I heard...
Dahl..."Hey Les, why don't you grab a Sox player."
Grob..."There aren't any near me..."
Dahl..."Can you blame them. Look at the way you're dressed?"
(pause)
Grob..."Steve, I've got Ozzie Guillen..."
Dahh..."Hey Ozzie, how ya doin'?"
Guillen..."I doeeng horse-sheeet."
Dahl...(amidst laughs) "Hey Les, it sounds like Ozzie's picking up the language."
I nearly went off the road.
Just another major laugh produced by the White Sox' broadcast booth over the year.

DSpivack
05-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Ah, shaddap!

The trough thing I think is considered "cute" and "quaint" by many Chads and Trixies. Just another sign of the need for progress.

Nellie_Fox
05-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Ah, shaddap!

And I for one find it seriously disgusting. In a third-world country with a lack of adequate plumbing, okay. But on the North Side of Chicago, in an area that tries to sell itself as "trendy"? Ewwww!Old Comiskey also had troughs. I hated those damn things. Baskspatter.

PatK
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Those troughs are the worst. I don't like bumping shoulders/elbows with the guy next to me when I'm taking care of business.

And I always seem to have the 300lb guy with horrible balance next to me :(:

turners56
05-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Ron Santo is the biggest clown in sports broadcasting, even bigger than Hawk Harrelson.

Grobber33
06-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I was wondering if any of the old-timers on here remember when Steve Dahl was first allowed back at Sox Park after Disco Demolition?...
It was, I think, in 1981 and Dahl had his afternoon show broadcast from the press box....
With him was Les Grobstein, who was the perfect straight man for him. Grobstein was situated on the field...
I was driving home on the 94 to Waukegan from Skokie and this is what I heard...
(pause)
Dahl...(amidst laughs) "Hey Les, it sounds like Ozzie's picking up the language."
Just another major laugh produced by the White Sox' broadcast booth over the year.

Just saw this post,and I remember it,but it was 1985(Ozzie's Rookie season)and we were in Ft.Lauderdale for a Sox-Yanks Grapefruit League Game. I had just gotten Steinbrenner to go on with Steve and Garry. Then,I was down on the field with a new technology(a wireless mic). Ozzie thought it was a toy,so when I said, "Ozzie en el radio en el ciudad de Chicago" He thought I was joking,and yelled out "F--- You" 3 times and ran off laughing. We were NOT in delay. A few minutes later we were interviewing Greg Walker and Luis Salazar(who speaks perfect English)dragged Ozzie over by the shirt collar and said 'this guy wants to apologize!" Ozzie was red as a beet!

SOX LA Mikey
06-26-2008, 02:35 AM
Speaking of the Stever, saw him sitting in the super expensive
seats at Tuesday's Sox game at Chavez Ravine, and was that
his son, WSI member Pat sitting with him, wearing a Dodger cap???

PatK
06-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Speaking of the Stever, saw him sitting in the super expensive
seats at Tuesday's Sox game at Chavez Ravine, and was that
his son, WSI member Pat sitting with him, wearing a Dodger cap???

I know the Dodgers were Steve's favorite team growing up in Cali.

Maybe some of it rubbed off on Pat. And he is in LA now.

Give him a break this time, but if he's there today and wearing a Dodgers cap, I think a banning is in order.

tony1972
06-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I know the Dodgers were Steve's favorite team growing up in Cali.

Maybe some of it rubbed off on Pat. And he is in LA now.

Give him a break this time, but if he's there today and wearing a Dodgers cap, I think a banning is in order.

Jodie Foster and Michael Duncan Clarke were at that game too..(showed on TV)...

russ99
06-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Ah, shaddap!

We had troughs at Old Comiskey too. Probably a big reason why I pretty much always have to use a stall.

KenBerryGrab
06-27-2008, 10:06 AM
(pause)

That would be a real trick to be '81, as Ozzie didn't debut with the Sox until '85, when he was Rookie of the Year.

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2008, 01:19 AM
We had troughs at Old Comiskey too. Probably a big reason why I pretty much always have to use a stall.I'm not THAT shy, but I hated the troughs at old Comiskey because of all the splashback.

vegyrex
06-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Ugh! I hated those troughs. I was 8 years old when I got my first look at them. I was like -> :scratch: