PDA

View Full Version : Small ball

Iwritecode
05-01-2002, 12:28 AM
Kenny Lofton singled off reliever Paul Abbott (1-3) to start the fourth and went to second when Mike Cameron bobbled the ball in center for an error. Ray Durham bunted for a single, and Thomas delivered the two-run double to give the White Sox a 5-3 lead. Ordonez followed with a two-run homer to right-center.

I love how this team finds ways to get on base and then score runs. Good heads up hustle by Lofton. Nice bunt by Durham to advance him to third. Thomas turns and burns on a fat pitch right over the middle of the plate and Ray runs hard to score all the way from first. Then Maggs comes up with a homerun to right center.

It just doesn't get any better than this. I thought the Jndjans were supposed to be the "small ball" team this year?

LOL!

bjmarte
05-01-2002, 09:57 AM
That inning alone made the trip up worth it! The Sox play some awesome baseball at times.

BuehrleACE56
05-01-2002, 11:03 AM
"You can't win 90+ games waiting on homers. We're looking for the little things. Moving the runner over from second, taking the pitch to allow for a stolen base, bunting the man over, hit and run. If we can do the little things then we can lead this league in the one stat that counts. WINS!"

Jerry is right on this one. :D:
:jerry

ma-gaga
05-01-2002, 12:43 PM
You can't win 90+ games waiting on homers
um. Oakland does. They are the ONLY team that I've seen do this, but it can be done.

Paulwny
05-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

um. Oakland does. They are the ONLY team that I've seen do this, but it can be done.

The Orioles under Earl Weaver, "The key to winning is pitching, fundamentals and the three run homer"
6 eastern div titles
4 al pennants
1 world series
His teams never ran, played station to station baseball, so it can work some of the time.