PDA

View Full Version : Worst "From the Cubicle" of All Time?

TomBradley72
05-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Too much time on my hands...came across the "from the cubicle" for yesterday's game from the Tribune's website. I've only read through a few of these over the years the Tribune has been doing this, but usually there's an interesting observation or two.

Incredibly bad:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cubicle/cs-080430-cubicle-chicago-white-sox-twins,1,4906729.column

cheezheadsoxfan
05-01-2008, 10:30 AM
What exactly is the purpose of this garbage?

Iwritecode
05-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Amanda isn't quite as good as Rahula or Adam IMHO.

Iwritecode
05-01-2008, 10:32 AM

It's a good way to keep up with the game when you don't have access to a TV or radio. The game threads on message boards are too full of one-line posts that don't tell you what actually happened.

doublem23
05-01-2008, 10:33 AM
It's a good way to keep up with the game when you don't have access to a TV or radio. The game threads on message boards are too full of one-line posts that don't tell you what actually happened.

What's wrong with one of the gamecasts from ESPN, MLB, Yahoo, CBS Sports, etc.?

I'm sorry, I would take our game threads over any thing that constantly refers to players on the other team as "that guy."

TomBradley72
05-01-2008, 10:39 AM

I'm sorry, I would take our game threads over any thing that constantly refers to players on the other team as "that guy."

Some that I've read were actually decent, detailed descriptions/recaps of what happened in a game inning by inning..with a little humor mixed in.

This was unreadable. Like reading the whole "Boom Goes the Dynamite" video clip.

Iwritecode
05-01-2008, 10:40 AM

Because that doesn't describe the action. It just basically tells you the box score and what the current situation is in the game. Plus it makes the computer run slower when it has to stream all that info.

At least with the FTC article, it gives a little bit of commentary about the plays all on one page. There's too much chatter in the 15+ pages of a game thread.

ondafarm
05-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't think any of these people are even vaguely entertaining, their knowledge of baseball is surpassed by most third-graders and their writing is below third grader level.
If the Trib did this well they could actually attract people to their website, but these idiots producing schlock drive people away.

PatK
05-01-2008, 11:53 AM
It's horrible all right, but in-line with the mentality and knowledge of the average Flubs fan.

I'm surprised the author knew the score and got the names of the Cubs players right.

Iwritecode
05-01-2008, 11:56 AM
It's horrible all right, but in-line with the mentality and knowledge of the average Flubs fan.

I'm surprised the author knew the score and got the names of the Cubs players right.

:?:

The link was to yesterday's Sox-Twins game.

Hokiesox
05-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Rahula is an actual Sox fan. He does a great job. Amanda's seem like your typical sorority girl wrote it. I don't read hers.

SOXPHILE
05-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't think any of these people are even vaguely entertaining, their knowledge of baseball is surpassed by most third-graders and their writing is below third grader level.
If the Trib did this well they could actually attract people to their website, but these idiots producing schlock drive people away.

That's kind of how I was thinking. When I first saw this, my reaction was that it looked like it was written by some 8th grade creative writing student, who got to be "reporter for the day", or something.

pierzynski07
05-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Rahula is an actual Sox fan. He does a great job. Amanda's seem like your typical sorority girl wrote it. I don't read hers.
I swore I read that Amanda was a Sox fan as well.

It's Dankerific
05-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Rahula is alot more humorous too. I especially like the chisox - opponent lines like deep dish pizza 4 - crabcakes 2

PatK
05-01-2008, 01:31 PM
:?:

The link was to yesterday's Sox-Twins game.

I didn't read it. I assumed it was from the Cubs game.

After reading it, it is still horible.

I've read her Cubs FTC articles and they are just as abysmal.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-01-2008, 01:38 PM

Lost me at the first "dude". I much rather scroll thru a game thread than read nonsense about KU merchandise and getting her picture taken.

kba
05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Because that doesn't describe the action. It just basically tells you the box score and what the current situation is in the game. Plus it makes the computer run slower when it has to stream all that info.

Off-topic question: Does anybody know of a minimalist game tracker site - one that doesn't take up the entire screen? Yahoo used to have one that was a small box in the corner of the screen with just the current score, count, number of outs, and on-base diagram. Good for slow connections or keeping up with a game when you're actually trying to get some work done. I can't find anything like it this season.

kjhanson
05-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Too much time on my hands...came across the "from the cubicle" for yesterday's game from the Tribune's website. I've only read through a few of these over the years the Tribune has been doing this, but usually there's an interesting observation or two.

I follow the day games through Sportsline and the "From the Cubicle" and Wednesday was just brutal. I don't mind the other guys because the updates are quick, accurate and the guys are knowledgeable. I'll even read through the Cub ones when I'm really bored - hoping for a few laughs. That last one was like asking one my little sisters who hate baseball to keep me updated. If the game wasn't bad enough, her "insight", or lack thereof, made it that much worse.

So to answer your question, yes, that was the worst "FTC" I've ever followed.

TheVulture
05-12-2008, 01:00 AM

I didn't read it. :thud:

Hokiesox
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I swore I read that Amanda was a Sox fan as well.

Sorry, I assumed sorority girl=cubs fan. Silly me.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-12-2008, 10:08 PM
So to answer your question, yes, that was the worst "FTC" I've ever followed.

Seconded. She almost seems illiterate. Maybe she's just a terrible typist?