PDA

View Full Version : Alexi Ramirez MIA???

StLSoxPride
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Hey fellow white sox faithful, i have a question that has been bugging me throughout the beginning of this years campaign. Where is Alexi Ramirez???:?:

I was very excited in the preseason when i heard he had been acquired by the team. Every scouting report says that he has a very bright future and he also has all of the tools to be an impact player much like (lets put our personal bias' aside) Alfonso Soriano. In addition, Hawk Harrelson has made numeorus pitches for playing time for this young star. I agree with Hawk in that we are wasting a prime chance to harvest a great ballplayer. Especially with the teams recent struggles, I see no legitimate reason why this kid can't be thrown in the lineup to see what he can do.

Domeshot17
04-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Incase you just forgot to turn on a game this month, He is not major league ready. The real question should be why is he not in triple A learning how to hit instead of up here. He has a bright bright future ahead of himself, but he is proving to be out matched at the plate. He does not work counts, he is a free swinger, and he is easily fooled. I have a feeling when Richar is good to go he will be here and Alexei down.

KingXerxes
04-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey fellow white sox faithful, i have a question that has been bugging me throughout the beginning of this years campaign. Where is Alexi Ramirez???:?:

I was very excited in the preseason when i heard he had been acquired by the team. Every scouting report says that he has a very bright future and he also has all of the tools to be an impact player much like (lets put our personal bias' aside) Alfonso Soriano. In addition, Hawk Harrelson has made numeorus pitches for playing time for this young star. I agree with Hawk in that we are wasting a prime chance to harvest a great ballplayer. Especially with the teams recent struggles, I see no legitimate reason why this kid can't be thrown in the lineup to see what he can do.

Well they'll have to wait until they get back from Toronto because evidently his visa issues will not allow him back in the United States if he leaves.

I personally don't see too much so far in Ramirez, but his speed is certainly a needed facet on a team that appears to be more and more of a bunch of slow footed sluggers.

As far as Ken Harrelson touting Ramirez.......he's in a long line of wash-outs that we've been told we're going to be the next Ken Griffey Jr.

StLSoxPride
04-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Incase you just forgot to turn on a game this month, He is not major league ready. The real question should be why is he not in triple A learning how to hit instead of up here. He has a bright bright future ahead of himself, but he is proving to be out matched at the plate. He does not work counts, he is a free swinger, and he is easily fooled. I have a feeling when Richar is good to go he will be here and Alexei down.

Well despite being accused of having not watched a game this past month, it is my observation that Juan Uribe appears to be getting a considerable amount of playing time. I can't say that I have seen him work to many counts up at the plate. He seems like a free swinger to me, also easily fooled.

Also Xerxes, I don't understand why you questions Hawks judgement in young talent. He has been around the game for a long time and has seen just about everything there is to see in this game. He obviously sees something special in Ramirez, and I don't understand where you get off taking shots at him like that.

Domeshot17
04-30-2008, 11:21 PM
The difference is Uribe will not get better in triple A. He is who he is. Ramirez has a lot to learn about Pro Ball in America.

I don't understand why people want to throw a rookie who isn't ready with a huge future ahead of him into the fire. That is how you ruin a prospect. It is the same reason why, essentially, Aaron Poreda isn't learning a 3rd and 4th pitch at the pro level, why kids like Homer Bailey are in triple A also.

ilsox7
04-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Also Xerxes, I don't understand why you questions Hawks judgement in young talent. He has been around the game for a long time and has seen just about everything there is to see in this game. He obviously sees something special in Ramirez, and I don't understand where you get off taking shots at him like that.

He also failed miserably as a GM. This has nothing to do with Ramirez (for me), but Hawk as a talent evaluator (and an announcer) does nothing for me.

KingXerxes
04-30-2008, 11:27 PM

:hawk

"Yessir..........Ol' King Xerxes.........now there's a man who hasn't been around this game as long as I have StlSoxPride........mercy.......he just can't see the potential in an Alexi Ramirez or Esteban Beltre or Liu Rodriguez or D'Angelo Jimenez or McKay Christensen or Jeff Liefer or Joe Borchard or Brian Simmons or Chris Snopek or Julio Ramirez the way I can because I've been around this game for over 40 years............These are all sure fire Hall of Famers if things work out right"

:DJ

"You're right partner..............it's all going to depend on their mindset."

StLSoxPride
04-30-2008, 11:30 PM
The difference is Uribe will not get better in triple A. He is who he is. Ramirez has a lot to learn about Pro Ball in America.

I don't understand why people want to throw a rookie who isn't ready with a huge future ahead of him into the fire. That is how you ruin a prospect. It is the same reason why, essentially, Aaron Poreda isn't learning a 3rd and 4th pitch at the pro level, why kids like Homer Bailey are in triple A also.

Is that also why Felix Pie is batting .200 for the north side right now, because they threw him into the fire too quick???

Boondock Saint
05-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Is that also why Felix Pie is batting .200 for the north side right now, because they threw him into the fire too quick???

Well, he's spent plenty of time in the minors. He just can't hit.

CHISOXFAN13
05-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Well despite being accused of having not watched a game this past month, it is my observation that Juan Uribe appears to be getting a considerable amount of playing time. I can't say that I have seen him work to many counts up at the plate. He seems like a free swinger to me, also easily fooled.

It's pretty obvious you didn't watch Monday's in which Ramirez stranged a small country on the bases.

How long til the Pablo Ozuna needs more of a look thread?

whitesoxfan
05-01-2008, 12:38 AM

"Yessir..........Ol' King Xerxes.........now there's a man who hasn't been around this game as long as I have StlSoxPride........mercy.......he just can't see the potential in an Alexi Ramirez or Esteban Beltre or Liu Rodriguez or D'Angelo Jimenez or McKay Christensen or Jeff Liefer or Joe Borchard or Brian Simmons or Chris Snopek or Julio Ramirez the way I can because I've been around this game for over 40 years............These are all sure fire Hall of Famers if things work out right"

Ah, names I remember from my childhood. It's been a while since I've seen those crappy players mentioned.

spiffie
05-01-2008, 07:26 AM
This thread makes me wish WSI had been around back in 1986, just to see people posting about how no one should question Hawk's decision making since he's a major league GM and obviously knows much more about baseball than any of us ever will.

russ99
05-01-2008, 09:31 AM
It's pretty obvious you didn't watch Monday's in which Ramirez stranged a small country on the bases.

He's not the only one lately. The whole team is stranding boatloads of runners on base, especially in scoring position. Don't single out one player.

That said, since he can't play in Canada, I can see the Sox sending him down for a few weeks and bringing up Owens.

Before you guys slam the book closed on Alexei, it usually takes a Cuban player a year or two to acclimate to the states. Look at Contreras, that excellent SS in Atlanta (Alexei could make a similar big step next year) and the Cuban guy in Seattle. I'd expect Alexei to evolve into a solid pro in a few years.

I think part of the reason he's stayed on the big club is that it's obvious Contreras has taken the kid under his wing and is mentoring him, something he won't get in Charlotte, regardless how much weaker the pitching is in AAA.

eriqjaffe
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
I think part of the reason he's stayed on the big club is that it's obvious Contreras has taken the kid under his wing and is mentoring him, something he won't get in Charlotte, regardless how much weaker the pitching is in AAA.I think it has more to do with the fact that Ozzie loves infielders who can also allegedly play in the outfield...er...I mean, because of his defensive flexibility. Richar is pretty much exclusively a second baseman. He has played some shortstop in the minors, but it doesn't look like he was particularly impressive (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/danny-richar.shtml) - note the 23 errors in 65 games in 2005. Owens only plays outfield. Ramirez can do both, which gives him some value off the bench.

Ramirez, for all the gaping holes in his swing, is fairly capable defensively. That's the sort of skill that requires the least amount of honing in the minors - it's not like the ball behaves differently once it's off the bat in the bigs - and that's his main reason for being up here.

With all that in mind, I'd rather see him in AAA where he can actually develop into a capable hitter, especially given how much the Sox seem to have pinned on him for the future.

kittle42
05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
This thread makes me wish WSI had been around back in 1986, just to see people posting about how no one should question Hawk's decision making since he's a major league GM and obviously knows much more about baseball than any of us ever will.

This may be the best post ever. There would have been people saying how the Fisk move cannot be questioned!

Dub25
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Since Alexi can't go to Toronto now would be a good time to send him down and bring up Owens. Who was the last player to not spend a day in the minors, A-Rod? You have to be a special player to jump right into the majors.

Frater Perdurabo
05-01-2008, 12:00 PM

:rolling:

KingXerxes
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM
This may be the best post ever. There would have been people saying how the Fisk move cannot be questioned!

I would be willing to bet there are still plenty of people out there who will still defend that move.

Daver
05-01-2008, 06:01 PM

LMAO!

I think Chris Snopek is washing cars.

But there are people that believe Ken Harrelson, they crack me up.

KingXerxes
05-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Daver - Good to speak with you again.

It's great to see so many "old timers" are still hanging out here.

Daver
05-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Daver - Good to speak with you again.

It's great to see so many "old timers" are still hanging out here.

I'll be around till this place bites the dust.

KingXerxes
05-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll be around till this place bites the dust.

Hopefully that's a long, long time.

Where's palehose been? Granted I've only been back for a few days, but I haven't seen any of his pearls.

Daver
05-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Hopefully that's a long, long time.

Where's palehose been? Granted I've only been back for a few days, but I haven't seen any of his pearls.

He stops by on the weekends more than during the week.

Brian26
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I would be willing to bet there are still plenty of people out there who will still defend that move.

I don't view Hawk's stint as a GM as a complete disaster. I think he took some risks and didn't give it enough time to develop. It was a quirky period of Sox history, but its easier to beat him up using 20/20 hindsight than giving him the benefit of the doubt.

The Fisk experiment should have ended the moment he objected to it. Hawk still claims Fisk was excited about the move through Spring Training, so who knows what the real story is. The logic behind the move was not flawed if you look at it with an open mind. Skinner was the Josh Fields-type prospect of the day, and Hawk was trying to protect Fisk's knees as the best hitter on the Sox.

nug0hs
05-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Whats the update on this post? Are we bringing a 24 man roster to TOR?

CHIsoxNation
05-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Whats the update on this post? Are we bringing a 24 man roster to TOR?

Haven't heard anything. But in the paper this morning they said that Fields and Owens were in the lineup last night so if they bring up anyone then it will probably be Russell.

PorkChopExpress
05-02-2008, 12:08 PM
The Score just reported that Adam Russell will be there.