PDA

View Full Version : Can we do anything to improve our bench?

regionsox73
04-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Anderson, Hall, Ramierez, Ozuna, Oh my.

Would any of those guys strike fear into you if they were used as a pinch hitter? A few years back you knew Timo might make contact or Willie Harris would be able to score as a pinch runner. We are toast if we have an injury outside of Konerko/Thome.

Madscout
04-30-2008, 07:41 PM

Would any of those guys strike fear into you if they were used as a pinch hitter? A few years back you knew Timo might make contact or Willie Harris would be able to score as a pinch runner. We are toast if we have an injury outside of Konerko/Thome.

Anderson had 3 hits today. He is doing pretty well with very few AB. Ramierez needs to be in AAA. Ozuna will come into his own. Hall should not be on this team.

btrain929
04-30-2008, 07:41 PM

No team can have an all star bench that will bat .350 if someone goes down. I think we'd be waaaay better than last year:

Konerko goes down: Swisher to 1st, Owens up to the bigs for CF and leadoff.
Thome goes down: Either Pablo or call Fields up.
Crede goes down: Fields.
Uribe goes down: Ozuna/Ramirez.
Cabrera: Uribe to SS and Ozuna/Ramirez to 2B.
Quentin or Dye injured: The one who's not, and Swisher, are your corner OF'ers, and BA/Owens can be your CF.
AJ injured: Ok, we're screwed.

I would like to see a left handed bat on our bench with some power. Since we don't need any more OF'ers, maybe a lefty hitting 3B or middle infielder or even a journeyman 1B/C. Us having all righties on the bench makes it a lot easier for opposing bullpens. Guys that come to mind (whether or not it'll happen or if they'd want to be a bench player) are Hatteberg, Mark Sweeney, and Greg Dobbs.

TDog
04-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Today Konerko and Pierzynski were on the bench and Anderson got three hits in the starting lineup. The Sox need an upgrade at backup catcher. I posted as much months ago. But today, Anderson and Hall got 44 percent of the team's hits.

Anderson seems to be playing with more confidence, even after missing the bunt on Monday, and I'm impressed that Guillen even had enough confidence in Anderson to call the play. Hall has been hitting some. Ozuna is at least Timo Perez' equal off the bench.

This isn't what I expected to see people complaininga about today.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Today Konerko and Pierzynski were on the bench and Anderson got three hits in the starting lineup. The Sox need an upgrade at backup catcher. I posted as much months ago. But today, Anderson and Hall got 44 percent of the team's hits.

Anderson seems to be playing with more confidence, even after missing the bunt on Monday, and I'm impressed that Guillen even had enough confidence in Anderson to call the play. Hall has been hitting some. Ozuna is at least Timo Perez' equal off the bench.

This isn't what I expected to see people complaininga about today.

Yeah, I'm fine with the bench as is, with the exception of Hall.

Daver
04-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Do you want them to paint it?

That might improve it.

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 08:21 PM

I don't think Timo or Harris ever struck fear into anyone, and I don't think this team has a big need for pinch hitters. I like Anderson and Ozuna, Ramirez needs to go to Charlotte...replaced with either Owens or Richar (when healthy) gives us some LH balance and some speed.

I think we have protection against injury just about everywhere other than catcher. Anything happens to AJ...and it Hall, Lucy, etc. Would be nice to have a higher quality alternative than Toby Hall.

Tragg
04-30-2008, 08:50 PM
I wish the bench had a good hitter with some power on it. But truthfully, Dye will need rest, Konerko might and Thome might - which will put one of them there for pinch hit duty. Anderson has played pretty good baseball. Ozuna's a utility infielder- you need one of those. The problem is that we have a bad hitter at 2B who is starting. That hurts this O a lot.

balke
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Hahaha. LOL at Willie Harris being mentioned as a bench threat. This bench is pretty awesome IMO. I've been saying it all offseason. You've got a power utility guy, A great defensive replacement in the OF, and a speedy utility guy who has averaged about .300 in his career.

What do you want? Cintron/Gonzalez/Mackowiak back? This bench is pretty awesome.

itsnotrequired
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't think Timo or Harris ever struck fear into anyone, and I don't think this team has a big need for pinch hitters. I like Anderson and Ozuna, Ramirez needs to go to Charlotte...replaced with either Owens or Richar (when healthy) gives us some LH balance and some speed.

I think we have protection against injury just about everywhere other than catcher. Anything happens to AJ...and it Hall, Lucy, etc. Would be nice to have a higher quality alternative than Toby Hall.

Timo is a career .194 hitter as a PH. Even worse if you count his PH for a DH numbers. Harris is a touch under .210.

ARE U AFRAID?

veeter
04-30-2008, 10:08 PM
I wish we could add a healthy Danny Richar to the infield mix. I think he's going to help us very soon.

DickAllen72
04-30-2008, 10:13 PM
For now I would try juggling the lineup a bit by putting their best hitter at this point in the third slot. Something like:

Swisher
Cabrera
Quentin
Dye
Thome
Konerko
Crede
Pierzynski
Uribe

Shake those guys in the middle of the order up a bit.

champagne030
04-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I wish we could add a healthy Danny Richar to the infield mix. I think he's going to help us very soon.

Better offense, but far worse defense......Maybe addition by subtraction by sending Alexei down and bringing up anyone.

bafiarocks03
04-30-2008, 10:19 PM
haha yeah! Get Willie Harris back! =]

MISoxfan
05-01-2008, 05:03 AM
Hahaha. LOL at Willie Harris being mentioned as a bench threat. This bench is pretty awesome IMO. I've been saying it all offseason. You've got a power utility guy, A great defensive replacement in the OF, and a speedy utility guy who has averaged about .300 in his career.

What do you want? Cintron/Gonzalez/Mackowiak back? This bench is pretty awesome.

Nothing wrong with Mackowiak on the bench, just not your everyday CFer.