PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Day

LITTLE NELL
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
The Doubleheader thread brought to mind Ladies Day, how many of you remember when the Ladies use to get a free General Admission ticket. By the way what ever happened to General Admission seats?

DannyCaterFan
04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Back in the Sixties, Ladies Day was always a opportunity for my family to go to old Comiskey Park. I remember my Dad taking advantage of not having to pay for my Mom. Seemed like we always packed up the car, brought a lunch, and always ended up sitting in the old "red" seats behind home plate. Those were the seats directly behind the $3.50 box seats.
General admission in those days basically meant past the bases and behind the posts, and all outfield sets excluding the bleachers. General Admission was $1.50, while bleachers (center field) were I think, $.50 each. I loved sitting out there with organist Shea Torrent!. AAhh those were the days.

TDog
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
The Doubleheader thread brought to mind Ladies Day, how many of you remember when the Ladies use to get a free General Admission ticket. By the way what ever happened to General Admission seats?

Those were also the days that both Chicago baseball teams had a policy to make 20,000 tickets available the day of the game. Jack Brickhouse used to explain that it was because Mr. Wrigley believed that the ordinary fan should have the opportunity to see a baseball game if he suddenly felt like going to a baseball game. I never heard a reason for Sox holding back some of their tickets for day-of-game sales, but in the old centerfield bleachers, you didn't actually get a ticket. You got a sort of coupon showing you had paid and had to go in immediately. The policy for both teams changed in the 1980s. When the Sox crowded more than 50,000 into old Comiskey back in the day, they had more than 25,000 walkups, including the people who bought standing room. Now attendance is higher than ever and walkups are minimal.

In 1983, I think, I read on the AP wire about a Sox game that was the first-ever in franchise history (possibly regular season) to be sold out in advance. The story made a big deal about the surging popularity of the Sox without mentioning that only recently had the policy been changed to allow games to be sold out in advance.

Now it's all about selling out and drawing 3 million. Ladies Day, which was every Wednesday at Wrigley Field if memory serves, was disdained in the 1970s for political reasons. It wouldn't even be possible to advance-sell ladies day tickets.

chisoxfanatic
04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
The Sox had Ladies' Day as recent as a decade ago. I remember going to a couple of them, and the cost was only $1 per ticket!

LongLiveFisk
04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
They need to bring back Ladies' Day. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
04-30-2008, 09:28 PM
They need to bring back Ladies' Day. :wink:

I couldn't agree with you more! :smile:

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Somebody would immediately sue for sex discrimination.

Hitmenof77
05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Somebody would immediately sue for sex discrimination.

Somebody sued the Angels when they had a "Ladies's Day" giveaway. They were giving away a bag for Ladies's Day and he sued because men didn't get a bag. ****ing idiot people in the world.

October26
05-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I went to lots of Ladies Day Sox Games ($1 tickets) about a decade ago. I believe they used to be on Thursdays. Had lots of fun.