kittle42
04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Another clunker.

kaufsox
04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
man, that just sucked:angry:

hi im skot
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I hope these guys are as pissed as I am...

Madvora
We actually get some hits out of Thome and 3 by Anderson and we still lose?

hawkjt
just enough hits to lose....we lose two games against young pitchers...
we are in a hitting slump...hope it isnt season long.

Navarro's Talent
*sighs*

I got nothing.

kevingrt
Playing the Twinkies is so f-ing frustrating.

doublem23
I would like someone to convince me that Greg Walker should still have a job.

These guys haven't hit since July 2006 now.

cleanwsox
04-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, only needed average offense this series and we get barely nothing.

Ugh... **** those Twins.

LITTLE NELL
This is starting to look like 2007. Lets shake up the lineup.

MushMouth
we have this ******* twins team in chicago next week, we better do some damage.

cnw8052
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I dunno about everyone else, but I just HATE to lose to the Twins more than any other team, especially in their dumpdome.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Man oh man...man...I just can't think of anything to say, this team's offense is just so bad. Ugh...this offense is really just like watching the '07 one...it's more talented, but still lacks the ability to get the job done. Just awful.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I dunno about everyone else, but I just HATE to lose to the Twins more than any other team, especially in their dumpdome.

Thankfully it won't be around much longer

A.T. Money
Can't get a clutch hit.

Woofer
I've seen enough of this crap lately. No energy, no speed, no key hits, bad relief pitching. Like a bad replay of 2007.

CubsfansareDRUNK
Horsecrap

itsnotrequired
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
I've seen enough of this crap lately. No energy, no speed, no key hits, bad relief pitching. Like a bad replay of 2007.

Bullpen was fine today. 4 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 7 K. Offense gets the blame.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Playing the Twinkies is so f-ing frustrating.

It's not about the Twinkies....it's more frustrating to see our bats.

hi im skot
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM

Boone Logan thanks you.

white sox bill
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
How would you like to play the Twinks and the A's for 162 games? I would have us at 25-137

Madvora
04-30-2008, 02:57 PM
God are we lucky that our division sucks right now. However, if they keep playing us, they won't for long.

VeeckAsInWreck

I give you points for effort, but you are going to be hard pressed presenting any positives to the majority of the people on this board. No matter how many times you present something good you will get responses with 10 bad things. Especially after a loss.

itsnotrequired
Boone Logan thanks you.

Eh, he gave up the run but it was inherited. And the walk was intentional.

No way the bullpen takes the blame on this.

Woofer

I agree, but Logan couldn't keep this a tied game today. Bullpen deserves blame too.

WhiteSox5187
Boone Logan thanks you.
Logan wasn't the ****ing problem, he gave up a run, but this team STILL couldn't score a run! The offense is the ****ing problem right now and it has looked this way since July of '06.

hi im skot
04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Eh, he gave up the run but it was inherited. And the walk was intentional.

No way the bullpen takes the blame on this.

I agree. I just can't stand Logan.

nevr say dye sox
06 good htting no pitching, 07 no hitting no pitching, 08 good pitching no hitting, well here comes fourth place

Lorenzo Barcelo
just enough hits to lose....we lose two games against young pitchers...
we are in a hitting slump...hope it isnt season long.

We have been in a hitting slump since April 1, 2007

JB98
It was a good ballgame today. Both teams played well, but Minnesota got the big hit. We did not.

The Twins put pressure on us in that seventh inning by using two bunts to get a man in scoring position. That put Boone Logan in a spot where he needed to get two tough left-handed hitters out. He got Mauer, but he couldn't get Morneau. That's how it goes.

Thome and Anderson both swung the bats well today. Another big hit for Quentin as well. Unfortunately, we're not able to stack anything up right now.

hi im skot
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Logan wasn't the ****ing problem, he gave up a run, but this team STILL couldn't score a run! The offense is the ****ing problem right now and it has looked this way since July of '06.

Logan hasn't exactly been the answer, either.

Ultimately, the offense blew it once again.

itsnotrequired
I agree, but Logan couldn't keep this a tied game today. Bullpen deserves blame too.

If I was going to "place blame", I would say 10% bullpen, 20% Massett, 70% offense.

spiffie

Is it too early in the season for a reference to Greg Walker's poker playing ability?

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
I give you points for effort, but you are going to be hard pressed presenting any positives to the majority of the people on this board. No matter how many times you present something good you will get responses with 10 bad things. Especially after a loss.
Maybe you're watching different games then us, because I see an aenmic looking offense that is failing to come through for some great pitching. Yea, there have been some positives, but at the end of the day this offense is costing us games. The past three games have been VERY winnable and we've looked like horse**** in all three. We should be eight over right now instead we're what? Two over?

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
This is starting to look like 2007. Lets shake up the lineup.

Exactly....**** the hitting coach. Change it/fix it/do something...NOW.

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Is it too early in the season for a reference to Greg Walker's poker playing ability?

The 2005 Jndians weren't hitting so they fired Eddie Murray, and then the bats came around. Besides the choke job they had a good season...

veeter
04-30-2008, 03:03 PM
When your #2 hitter does nothing, the team suffers. Pitching still very solid.

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:03 PM
All Carlos Gomez can do is field, run, and bunt. How the hell did he get three hits? Tell Crede to play 5 feet from the batter's box next time, seriously. I hate second guessing, but Logan should of walked Morneau and then walked Cuddyer to deal with Kubel, who had already struck out twice with men on base before. Plus, what was Ozuna doing swinging on the first pitch against Nathan in the 9th? I thought we had some life there in the 9th, it looked like Nathan didn't have some of his stuff, but whatever. This loss is really hard to take considering we have an off-day tomorrow.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Maybe you're watching different games then us, because I see an aenmic looking offense that is failing to come through for some great pitching. Yea, there have been some positives, but at the end of the day this offense is costing us games. The past three games have been VERY winnable and we've looked like horse**** in all three. We should be eight over right now instead we're what? Two over?

I was just pointing out what I saw on this board. I'm not happy about this loss either but pining about it and saying how this is 2007 all over again is ridiculous and accomplishes nothing. The team has an off day tomorrow let's see how they react.

jreds23
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Walker should be gone, we should have a 5 game lead in the division with the way our starting pitching has been!! This offense is terrible, their approach at the plate in swing for the fences or walk.

Foulke You
04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
The past three games have been VERY winnable and we've looked like horse**** in all three. We should be eight over right now instead we're what? Two over?
This is what is frustrating the hell out of me. We should have taken the last 3 games but instead we're 0W-2L-1S in that stretch and blowing a perfect chance to open some daylight between us and the rest of the pack in the AL Central. The Tribe, Twins, and Tigers aren't going to play bad all year long. We should be capitalizing on this and instead we can't get a clutch hit with a runner in scoring position to save our lives.:(:

Blueprint1
04-30-2008, 03:05 PM
This is very frustrating to watch. The hitters we picked up are hitting like the ones we already had. We need to start getting some two out hits with runners on.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
The #1 hitter hasn't exactly been on fire of late either....something needs to be done with this lineup. I'm just not sure what...ha.

Foulke You
04-30-2008, 03:07 PM
This is very frustrating to watch. The hitters we picked up are hitting like the ones we already had. We need to start getting some two out hits with runners on.
Quentin is a newcomer who is hitting but you're right, Swisher and Cabrera definitely need to get it going. When we were scoring runs earlier this year, those two were getting on base all the time. Now, they are both ice cold and the rest of the order behind them has followed suit.

turners56

That won't last forever, the team will start hitting again sooner or later.

VeeckAsInWreck
Walker should be gone, we should have a 5 game lead in the division with the way our starting pitching has been!! This offense is terrible, their approach at the plate in swing for the fences or walk.

Dude, you joined this site almost 4 years ago and this is your first post? :welcome:

whitesoxfan
Pretty sad to get shut down by Bonser and Blackburn. This offense is putrid. And that's putting it nicely.

If Ozzie is really pissed off about the offense, he would fire the hitting coach. Until then, I'm going to be thrilled watching these lifeless offensive outputs.

cws05champ
04-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Exactly....**** the hitting coach. Change it/fix it/do something...NOW.
I couldn't agree more. I have never jumped on the Fire Greg Walker bandwagon in the past. But count me as a member now. This offense sans TCQ is just not getting it done. We need to shake it up and get Owens up for the Toronto series.

By the way, why would you let Thome hit against Denys Reyes with Konerko on the bench?

tony1972
Why ?? Why ???:whiner::whiner:Why???:whiner:

jreds23
I think we need to bring up Owens, send down Ramirez who is way overmatched at the plate right now and move Swisher down in the lineup. Let Thome and Konerko takes some days off because they are not doing anything, Thome might strike out 200 times this year the way he is going. Atleast if Owens gets on he may be that distraction Pods was a few years ago to the opposing pitching and Cabrera might see more fast balls.

turners56
Pretty sad to get shut down by Bonser and Blackburn. This offense is putrid. And that's putting it nicely.

If Ozzie is really pissed off about the offense, he would fire the hitting coach. Until then, I'm going to be thrilled watching these lifeless offensive outputs.

He has those team meetings before every series right? Maybe he'll light a fire under their asses once they're in Canada!

Mr.1Dog
04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Can you ask Kelly to join WSI? Or is this Kelly pretending to be Tony?

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I think we need to bring up Owens, send down Ramirez who is way overmatched at the plate right now and move Swisher down in the lineup. Let Thome and Konerko takes some days off because they are not doing anything, Thome might strike out 200 times this year the way he is going. Atleast if Owens gets on he may be that distraction Pods was a few years ago to the opposing pitching and Cabrera might see more fast balls.

So you're saying that Ozzie should either bench Konerko or Thome for a couple of games, put Swisher at first, and start Owens in center to leadoff? Eh, that's not the long-term solution.

skottyj242
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Go scratch.

soxfan44
All Carlos Gomez can do is field, run, and bunt. How the hell did he get three hits? Tell Crede to play 5 feet from the batter's box next time, seriously. I hate second guessing, but Logan should of walked Morneau and then walked Cuddyer to deal with Kubel, who had already struck out twice with men on base before. Plus, what was Ozuna doing swinging on the first pitch against Nathan in the 9th? I thought we had some life there in the 9th, it looked like Nathan didn't have some of his stuff, but whatever. This loss is really hard to take considering we have an off-day tomorrow.

As usual, Gardenhire managed circles around Ozzie. You do NOT throw Morneau anything he can hit with first base open. I know Ozzie's not pitching, but there's such a thing as an intential walk.

VeeckAsInWreck
We need to shake it up and get Owens up for the Toronto series.

Again with Owens, just because he is fast does not mean that he's the answer. Ozzie hit it on the head before when he said (I'm gonna paraphrase) "What's the point of speed if you can't get on base"

All I'll say is that the team needs to stop trying to jack the ball out of the park.

AZChiSoxFan
04-30-2008, 03:11 PM

:rolleyes: Sure. If I had a nickel for every time I heard or read that last season, I would be retired.

cws05champ
So you're saying that Ozzie should either bench Konerko or Thome for a couple of games, put Swisher at first, and start Owens in center to leadoff? Eh, that's not the long-term solution.
No but it couldn't hurt to possibly inject some life into the team. I thought with Swish and OC that this team would not have problems of intensity/life out there.

jreds23
Dude, you joined this site almost 4 years ago and this is your first post? :welcome:

Yeah, I pretty much have the time to read what you guys are saying but after the way this team is hitting I have to get this out. WALKER NEEDS TO GO!!!!

soxfan44
04-30-2008, 03:12 PM

The long-term solution is to tear this plodding, HR or nothing team down and start over again.

They WILL NOT make the playoffs with this team - You have to try something different.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I pretty much have the time to read what you guys are saying but after the way this team is hitting I have to get this out. WALKER NEEDS TO GO!!!!

Well, since you felt so compelled to break your vow of silence then let it be said that Greg Walker needs to go.

turners56
:rolleyes: Sure. If I had a nickel for every time I heard or read that last season, I would be retired.

It's true, very rarely do we see team-wide slumps like the White Sox had for about 5 months of the 2007 season. This team has too much damn talent to hit like this all-season-long.

jreds23
No but it couldn't hurt to possibly inject some life into the team. I thought with Swish and OC that this team would not have problems of intensity/life out there.

You are right, Swisher definately looks deflated out there, he would benefit from a day or two off.

southsideirish71
04-30-2008, 03:14 PM
As usual, Gardenhire managed circles around Ozzie. You do NOT throw Morneau anything he can hit with first base open. I know Ozzie's not pitching, but there's such a thing as an intential walk.

Ozzie is odd at times. He pitches around Punto like he is some sort of Ruthian monster, and then attacks their best power hitter. I cant wait till we go to Toronto and Ozzie turns Matt Stairs into Babe Ruth as well.

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:14 PM
The long-term solution is to tear this plodding, HR or nothing team down and start over again.

They WILL NOT make the playoffs with this team - You have to try something different.

Relax, we're only 30 days into the season, some of you are ready to commit suicide or something. Two weeks ago, this place was going bananas. :bandance:

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Ozzie is odd at times. He pitches around Punto like he is some sort of Ruthian monster, and then attacks their best power hitter. I cant wait till we go to Toronto and Ozzie turns Matt Stairs into Babe Ruth as well.

Nick Punto is a pirahna, so he gets the automatic pitch around. We obviously can't handle his bloopers over Uribe's head.

cws05champ
04-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Again with Owens, just because he is fast does not mean that he's the answer. Ozzie hit it on the head before when he said (I'm gonna paraphrase) "What's the point of speed if you can't get on base"

All I'll say is that the team needs to stop trying to jack the ball out of the park.
Owens could get on base better than 1/2 the team right now the way they are going. I agree he is not a long term solution but something needs to be done right now. I have never been a dark cloud pants pissing type, but I do not want this season to turn out like the last one....and I just don;t have a good feeling about the way it has been going lately.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Owens could get on base better than 1/2 the team right now the way they are going. I agree he is not a long term solution but something needs to be done right now. I have never been a dark cloud pants pissing type, but I do not want this season to turn out like the last one....and I just don;t have a good feeling about the way it has been going lately.

Owens had a .320 OBP last year. The only two starters lower than that right now are Uribe and Cabrera.

tony1972
04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Shoeless Joe could get on base better than anyone on this team..and not the Shoeless Joe from 1917...the one from present day...:angry:

JB98
04-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Foolish post. Morneau hit a pitch that was damn near over his head. Don't act as if Logan gave him a meatball.

Why walk Morneau intentionally to get to Cuddyer when Cuddyer kills us?

We got the lefty-on-lefty matchup we wanted there. Logan is good at getting left-handed hitters out. That's why he is on this roster. He just got beat today.

palehozenychicty
04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
It's true, very rarely do we see team-wide slumps like the White Sox had for about 5 months of the 2007 season. This team has too much damn talent to hit like this all-season-long.

They already have. Remember last year? Remember the second half of '06? Remember '05? The Sox aren't a good hitting team. They are a good power hitting team. We need to be honest with the difference. Therefore, they're streaky. Anyhow, Walker needs to go. They need any to change the approach.

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Foolish post. Morneau hit a pitch that was damn near over his head. Don't act as if Logan gave him a meatball.

We got the lefty-on-lefty matchup we wanted there. Logan is good at getting left-handed hitters out. That's why he is on this roster. He just got beat today.

He walked Cuddyer anyhow. He had first and second base open. Why not give Kubel the golden sombrero? (which he did...)

DSpivack
Shoeless Joe could get on base better than anyone on this team..and not the Shoeless Joe from 1917...the one from present day...:angry:

Most of our starters are doing a decent job of getting on base; the exceptions are Juan Uribe, who will never be that kind of guy, and Orlando Cabrera, who is off to an awful start at the plate, but who should improve. What we do once those guys are on base, now that's a different matter.

jreds23
i am not saying that Owens is the long term answer either but the top of this order is seriously pressing at the plate, Swisher looks beat down right now. We need to inject some type of life into this team. And quick, this dvision is now separated by 2.5 games top to bottom, it is not out of the realm of possiblilty that we could be in last place coming out of Toronto.

southsideirish71
04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
i am not saying that Owens is the long term answer either but the top of this order is seriously pressing at the plate, Swisher looks beat down right now. We need to inject some type of life into this team. And quick, this dvision is now separated by 2.5 games top to bottom, it is not out of the realm of possiblilty that we could be in last place coming out of Toronto.

Well who exactly are you parking on the bench for Mr. 320 OBP.

soxtalker
04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Quentin is a newcomer who is hitting but you're right, Swisher and Cabrera definitely need to get it going. When we were scoring runs earlier this year, those two were getting on base all the time. Now, they are both ice cold and the rest of the order behind them has followed suit.

I have the impression that Swisher hasn't really been hitting that well (for avg.) all along. I do think that he was getting a lot of walks at the beginning of the season, and that may have tapered off. If that's the case, it might be that the pitchers have adjusted their approach to him.

I hate to say it, but there's also a difference in the teams we're playing. We did very well against the Tigers.

DSpivack

Who should he replace? Swisher seems the only real option, but he's a much, much better hitter than is Jerry Owens. The only thing Owens has over him is speed.

VeeckAsInWreck

I don't think Owens is the answer right now, if for some reason he gets called up and gets on base at a better clip than Swisher I owe you a coke.

From watching the guys at the plate recently, it almost looks like they're pressing. That's why they are all trying to jack the ball out of the park.

I think a day off will do this team wonders.

soxpride724
They already have. Remember last year? Remember the second half of '06? Remember '05? The Sox aren't a good hitting team. They are a good power hitting team. We need to be honest with the difference. Therefore, they're streaky. Anyhow, Walker needs to go. They need any to change the approach.

I second that, it starts with the coaches.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Relax, we're only 30 days into the season, some of you are ready to commit suicide or something. Two weeks ago, this place was going bananas. :bandance:

There it is, the winner of the first "Relax" post of another dreadful game.

:rolleyes:

turners56

So what's the new hitting coach going to do that's going to make this team any different? I'll admit this team's approach sucks at times, they swing for the home run and the home run only. Rarely do we see somebody go opposite field and drive in a run like Cuddyer did today. Maybe that one guy was right, get rid of all these power hitters, it's not working too well.

jreds23
Well who exactly are you parking on the bench for Mr. 320 OBP.

Give Swisher a day off, Thome a day off, Konerko a day off, just get some life out of these guys somehow, they need some mental time off obviously, do you see the same energy out of them that you saw 2 weeks ago??

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Give Swisher a day off, Thome a day off, Konerko a day off, just get some life out of these guys somehow, they need some mental time off obviously, do you see the same energy out of them that you saw 2 weeks ago??

They have been getting days off recently, and they have a day off tomorrow.

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:27 PM
There it is, the winner of the first "Relax" post of another dreadful game.

:rolleyes:

Still in first place, check
Playing Toronto next, check
Playing in a division that's not as good as anticipated, checkPeople, people, people, the nightmare is not completely back yet, until we look completely dead and get shutout numerous times (like Detroit did), the team is still alive.

jreds23
04-30-2008, 03:29 PM
yeah they have but alexi rameriz is not the answer, BA is finally getting some playing time and you can tell he is hitting for contact not power unlike everyone else on this damn team. owens is just anothe contact hitter we can put in the lineup instead of 9 guys swinging for the fence. again I am not saying Owens is the long term solution but we need a different approach at the plate and that all stems from Walker!! HE NEEDS TO GO!!! WAKE UP OZZIE AND KENNY!!!

jreds23
04-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Playing in a division that's not as good as anticipated, checkPeople, people, people, the nightmare is not completely back yet, until we look completely dead and get shutout numerous times (like Detroit did), the team is still alive.
But don't look now, that lifeless Tiger team is only 2.5 games back

VenturaFan23
04-30-2008, 03:31 PM

I've been saying that for a long time now and peole thought I was nuts. I'm thoroughly convinced they had him locked up in a closet for the entire 2005 season. Different players, same hitting coach, same pathetic results. Something's gotta give here.

WhiteSox5187
The key word there is "yet" a bad series in Toronto and the night mare is back...we've looked listless in three games we should have won and we should have easily won that series against Baltimore instead of relying on a walkoff hit, getting shut down by a soft throwing lefty in game one of the double header, and that game on Monday should ahve been won before it was suspended....this team needs to turn it around and soon. We had a golden opportunity to put a lot of room between ourselves and the rest of the division and we blew it.

itsnotrequired
I have the impression that Swisher hasn't really been hitting that well (for avg.) all along. I do think that he was getting a lot of walks at the beginning of the season, and that may have tapered off. If that's the case, it might be that the pitchers have adjusted their approach to him.

I hate to say it, but there's also a difference in the teams we're playing. We did very well against the Tigers.

He is still getting a lot of walks. His OBP has fallen because his AVE is down.

palehozenychicty
So what's the new hitting coach going to do that's going to make this team any different? I'll admit this team's approach sucks at times, they swing for the home run and the home run only. Rarely do we see somebody go opposite field and drive in a run like Cuddyer did today. Maybe that one guy was right, get rid of all these power hitters, it's not working too well.

It's really about establishing accountability for the hitters. You obviously can't get rid of the entire roster, but something is amiss, and has been over the last few years with situational hitting. It's not just the vagaries of baseball. In the business, it starts with the coaching staff. That's just the reality.

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Is it time for the 15 pushup rule for every time someone swings for the fence?

turners56
But don't look now, that lifeless Tiger team is only 2.5 games back

And weren't they 2-10? Aren't they a similar type of team? Those guys don't even have good starting pitching like the White Sox. Another reason to relax and stop bitching.

LoveYourSuit
Who should he replace? Swisher seems the only real option, but he's a much, much better hitter than is Jerry Owens. The only thing Owens has over him is speed.

At this point, I can't say Swisher and even Cabrera are "much, much better" hitters than Jerry Owens. Both those guys are hitting .220 or below for an entire month. I guess we can assume that they will eventually raise those averages because past history shows that they are better than that, but I got stuck assuming way too many things with our hitters last season and look what happened.

Only constant here remains one thing .... GREG WALKER :angry:

It's just ironic that both those guys came in here as solid hitters and all of sudden they are pop up machines and roll them over two hop groud ball hiters.

I think the waters are poisoned.

JB98
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
He walked Cuddyer anyhow. He had first and second base open. Why not give Kubel the golden sombrero? (which he did...)

Do you want Boone Logan to be pitching with the bases loaded and the game on the line? I sure don't. Logan is prone to deep counts and walks. I don't want to put him in a situation where he HAS to throw a strike. I'd rather give him room where he can miss trying to make an out pitch.

I think the decision to attack Morneau was the correct one. Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean it was wrong.

sox1970
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Friday is a fresh start.

That Orioles series had to take a lot out of them. They'll have a good day and half to recharge the batteries, and get after it on Friday. At least that's what I think they need.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM

4 other teams in your divisioin within 2 games from you ....CHECK.

We are as close to last place as we are to 2nd place.

We had a chance to get ourselves ahead to a very confortable lead in the division and we pissed it away. I think that's where all the worry and anger is coming from (at least from my part).

jreds23
04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
And weren't they 2-10? Aren't they a similar type of team? Those guys don't even have good starting pitching like the White Sox. Another reason to relax and stop bitching.

The difference here is that they get Granderson back and he injected life into that team, who do we have that can do this currently on this team. No one!! We needs to shake things up, they are lifeless out there right now. I am not comparing Owens to Granderson, only an idiot would do that but admit it we need a change. Again Walker needs to go.

itsnotrequired
04-30-2008, 03:38 PM

:?:

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:39 PM
The difference here is that they get Granderson back and he injected life into that team, who do we have that can do this currently on this team. No one!! We needs to shake things up, they are lifeless out there right now. I am not comparing Owens to Granderson, only an idiot would do that but admit it we need a change. Again Walker needs to go.

They were improving before they got Granderson back, as soon as Leyland lit a fire under their ass, they did start playing better.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:40 PM
At this point, I can't say Swisher and even Cabrera are "much, much better" hitters than Jerry Owens. Both those guys are hitting .220 or below for an entire month. I guess we can assume that they will eventually raise those averages because past history shows that they are better than that, but I got stuck assuming way too many things with our hitters last season and look what happened.

Only constant here remains one thing .... GREG WALKER :angry:

It's just ironic that both those guys came in here as solid hitters and all of sudden they are pop up machines and roll them over two hop groud ball hiters.

I think the waters are poisoned.

Jerry Owens has less than one year of experience under his belt. Cabrera and Swisher are veterans who have been around awhile. Why are you basing their performance on less than one month's worth of play?

VeeckAsInWreck
:chickenlittle

SoxGirl4Life
:?:
Its the "glass half-empty, cracked, and smashed beyond repair, and we can't have another glass ever again" attitude

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Jerry Owens has less than one year of experience under his belt. Cabrera and Swisher are veterans who have been around awhile. Why are you basing their performance on less than one month's worth of play?

Over-reaction, that's the best way to put it.

BTW, where did all the Brian Anderson hating go?

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
You don't make coaching changes in April....check

The AL Central will be a tough division to win.....check

If we're 2 games above .500 in every month we'll have 92 wins...check

RockJock07
04-30-2008, 03:42 PM

I second that, this is starting to feel like it's slipping away for the white sox. I know we are 30 games in but this is about the time you know what you have and what you don't. What we have is a pitching staff that is doing quite well I think, but an offense that is happered by regulars like thome, konerko and uribe who continually kill this team by being free swingers.

The problem is, how do you fix it? You could try to trade Konerko and thome but you probably won't get much back in return. I release Uribe, take my lumps with Richar. Not that Fields is the answer for any of the white sox problems but he's young and still teachable where as thome and konerko are set in there ways.

I want to say that by the end of May this team is gonna be in forth place and then by the trade deadline, Crede and others will be gone, which may not be a bad thing at this point. We have solid players here, I think Swisher, CQ, AJ, OC, and the pitching staff are keepers, the rest can rot IMO.

DSpivack
Over-reaction, that's the best way to put it.

Hey, apparently Owens now is the guy to love and want in place. The BA lovers aren't out in full force. :tongue:

jreds23
They were improving before they got Granderson back, as soon as Leyland lit a fire under their ass, they did start playing better.

you are right lets keep doing what we are doing and prove all the so called "experts" right when we do n't hit all year and finish in fourth place. Come on stop being a blind fan and admit there is definately a problem with our approach at the plate (home run or walk) how many guys do we need to leave on base before you see this?

JB98
Friday is a fresh start.

That Orioles series had to take a lot out of them. They'll have a good day and half to recharge the batteries, and get after it on Friday. At least that's what I think they need.

I think the whole homestand took a lot out of them. We had a day-night doubleheader and three lengthy rain delays in a period of five days.

This is a tough stretch right here. Every team goes through it at some point. It just really makes me wish we would have capitalized on one of the golden opportunities we had to win that suspended game on Monday.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 03:43 PM
You don't make coaching changes in April....check

The AL Central will be a tough division to win.....check

Thank you. Some sanity. If I was this tortured I probably would have given up being a Sox fan about 30 years ago.

jreds23
04-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Thank you. Some sanity. If I was this tortured I probably would have given up being a Sox fan about 30 years ago.

Again last in the AL in batting Avg.....check

Walker needs to go!!!

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:44 PM
you are right lets keep doing what we are doing and prove all the so called "experts" right when we do n't hit all year and finish in fourth place. Come on stop being a blind fan and admit there is definately a problem with our approach at the plate (home run or walk) how many guys do we need to leave on base before you see this?

I never said there wasn't, I'm just saying you guys are over-reacting. I hate it when we can't get a guy home from 3rd, I hate it when we can't go opposite field and poke hits through the hole. I hate it when the Twins do all those things and we don't. With all of that said, I don't think trying to mess with the team in April works. It's way too early to start panicking.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Ugh, WSI hasn't been this much in a panic since September of 05.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM

They had three runs today and only one home-run. Did they get eight walks to walk those other two in? :scratch:

sox1970
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM

We had a chance to get ourselves ahead to a very confortable lead in the division and we pissed it away. I think that's where all the worry and anger is coming from (at least from my part).

Where the Sox land in the standings this time of year means absolutely nothing.

If you go back a month and look at April's schedule, 14-12 is exactly where they should be.

What I would have expected a month ago:
Det: 3-3
Cle: 1-2
Bal: 3-2
Oak: 1-1
Min: 2-2
TB: 2-1
NY: 2-1

Guess what that adds up to? 14-12.

They survived April. Move on.

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM

Walker needs to go!!!

Even so, they're 7th in on base percentage.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Walker needs to go!!!

A member for almost 4 years and you have 11 posts, even through the World Series run? you come on today to rant and rave? Why does that not make sense to me?

jreds23
04-30-2008, 03:48 PM
They had three runs today and only one home-run. Did they get eight walks to walk those other two in? :scratch:
how many guys did we leave on base today? 15, this is getting to be a bad habit, sure we can get on base but then instead of trying to move guys over like the Twins do we swing for the damn fences. This isn't just today it is been this way for the last few weeks.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
how many guys did we leave on base today? 15, this is getting to be a bad habit, sure we can get on base but then instead of trying to move guys over like the Twins do we swing for the damn fences. This isn't just today it is been this way for the last few weeks.

You're the guy from Rongy's post game show! I know it! :D:

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:50 PM

And a few weeks of bad .500 baseball is enough to put you into high alert? I still wonder how you lived through September of 05.

jreds23
04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
A member for almost 4 years and you have 11 posts, even through the World Series run? you come on today to rant and rave? Why does that not make sense to me?

Because I have finally had enough of the years of ineptness at the plate with Walker coaching these guys and today I felt like I need to get this out. It is driving me nuts, we have too much talent on this team to piss it away again.

JB98
I second that, this is starting to feel like it's slipping away for the white sox. I know we are 30 games in but this is about the time you know what you have and what you don't. What we have is a pitching staff that is doing quite well I think, but an offense that is happered by regulars like thome, konerko and uribe who continually kill this team by being free swingers.

The problem is, how do you fix it? You could try to trade Konerko and thome but you probably won't get much back in return. I release Uribe, take my lumps with Richar. Not that Fields is the answer for any of the white sox problems but he's young and still teachable where as thome and konerko are set in there ways.

I want to say that by the end of May this team is gonna be in forth place and then by the trade deadline, Crede and others will be gone, which may not be a bad thing at this point. We have solid players here, I think Swisher, CQ, AJ, OC, and the pitching staff are keepers, the rest can rot IMO.

Thome and Konerko lumped in with Uribe as "free swingers." Wow. Just wow. :o:

Better check the OBP and run production totals before you post a bunch of BS like that.

sox1970

Try 87 wins.

RockJock07
04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I think the whole homestand took a lot out of them. We had a day-night doubleheader and three lengthy rain delays in a period of five days.

This is a tough stretch right here. Every team goes through it at some point. It just really makes me wish we would have capitalized on one of the golden opportunities we had to win that suspended game on Monday.

I think it did too, maybe with the day off they will play better in Canada vs a very solid bluejay team. It felt tiring to watch the homestand on tv, let alone play it.

Yeah, this stretch is gonna be very tough. TOR, MIN (Home), SEA, LAA, SF, CLE & LAA (home), CLE, TB. Um, rough, it's gonna be a blood bath, by june 1st they are in 4th place.

PatK
04-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm all for getting rid of Walker. Never really liked him as a player, care less for him as a coach.

This is a team that has basically been an average or slightly less than average team when it comes to AVG and OBP since Walker has been here. 2006 was the exception.

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 03:54 PM
And the weather has been awful. This offense will put up some big numbers. Any team that can put up the "runs scored" numbers and have the pathetic "batting average" that we have will get it going. I just hope it happens soon.

RockJock07
04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Thome and Konerko lumped in with Uribe as "free swingers." Wow. Just wow. :o:

Better check the OBP and run production totals before you post a bunch of BS like that.

Konerko and Thome have 45 K's between them, Uribe has 16. What makes Thome and Konerko's worse is the fact they are striking out with guys on base. OBP means nothing when no one behind them is driving them in except CQ. OBP isn't the problem bud, bad at bats are.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I think it did too, maybe with the day off they will play better in Canada vs a very solid bluejay team. It felt tiring to watch the homestand on tv, let alone play it.

Yeah, this stretch is gonna be very tough. TOR, MIN (Home), SEA, LAA, SF, CLE & LAA (home), CLE, TB. Um, rough, it's gonna be a blood bath, by june 1st they are in 4th place.

That's too bad the season is over. Since it's over now and we're in first place, do we get to go to the playoffs?

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
That's too bad the season is over. Since it's over now and we're in first place, do we get to go to the playoffs?

Cool! I like your way of thinking!

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Konerko and Thome have 45 K's between them, Uribe has 16. What makes Thome and Konerko's worse is the fact they are striking out with guys on base. OBP means nothing when no one behind them is driving them in except CQ. OBP isn't the problem bud, bad at bats are.

Thome has 18 RBIs, Konerko has 19 RBIs, if anything they're taking the RBIs away from Jermaine Dye and A.J. Pierznyski, who have 9 and 12 respectively, but are batting .305 and .286. So basically, Crede and Quentin are getting their RBIs from Pierzynski and Dye getting on base.

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Try 87 wins.

:scratch:

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Ugh, WSI hasn't been this much in a panic since September of 05.

You must have slept thru the entire '07 season ...... oops, the dark clouds were correct on that one.

turners56
04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
You must have slept thru the entire '07 season ...... oops, the dark clouds were correct on that one.

When the team has very little promise, it's hard to care.

KenBerryGrab
04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
:scratch:

Two games over for 6 months = 12 games over .500. Hence, 87-75.

turners56
04-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Two games over for 6 months = 12 games over .500. Hence, 87-75.

You forgot that we haven't played 2 games we were supposed to play this month and who knows about next month.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Because I have finally had enough of the years of ineptness at the plate with Walker coaching these guys and today I felt like I need to get this out. It is driving me nuts, we have too much talent on this team to piss it away again.

I think the health and talent aspect is what is making this one (slump) hurt a bit more right now. Last year health was not there nor the talent was as good as this one.

We have the 4-5th highest pay-roll in the game, that doesn't help either.

This is why I (we) expect a ton more from those bats.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 04:06 PM

Even when they won the World Series, you didn't come on to say one word? Still seems strange, dude.

KenBerryGrab
04-30-2008, 04:07 PM
You forgot that we haven't played 2 games we were supposed to play this month and who knows about next month.

No, the statement was "two games over a month" equals "92 wins."

There are six months in a season. Do the math.

RockJock07
04-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Thome has 18 RBIs, Konerko has 19 RBIs, if anything they're taking the RBIs away from Jermaine Dye and A.J. Pierznyski, who have 9 and 12 respectively, but are batting .305 and .286. So basically, Crede and Quentin are getting their RBIs from Pierzynski and Dye getting on base.

More then half of paulie's RBI's have come in just 4 games. (11) 13 of Thome's RBI's have come in 4 games. I was consistant at bat's. Thome has struck out 2 or more times in a game 9 times this year. I see a problem when these guys are batting 3 and 4 in the order, no consistant production.

JB98
04-30-2008, 04:08 PM

Let me tell you something about Jim Thome and Paul Konerko: Despite the low batting averages, both have gotten huge hits to win games for us this year.

Thome won us a game in Baltimore with a 3-run HR. He had a four-hit game in Tampa Bay too. Konerko drove in the FIRST FIVE RUNS of an 11-0 win over Detroit on the opening homestand of the year. His home runs were largely responsible for the win over Baltimore on Sunday.

Last I checked, Konerko is hitting over .300 with RISP this year. Thome went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI today. He was our best hitter this afternoon. Yet, he's getting attacked here.

You are embarrassing yourself by lumping Thome and Konerko in with Juan Uribe.

Soxman219
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Look at the bright side, we're still in first place after the first month of the season. Three weeks ago we were all celebrating and now were on suicide watch? It's the baseball season. Teams will have slumps like this, that's just the way it is. You have to take it one day at a time. All we can hope is that the bats start waking up and pitching keeps doing what it's doing. If we are still over .500 at the end of May, I'll be very happy.

turners56
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM

I know, but what IF the Sox won those two games they didn't play this month? Maybe they'll be 89-73 instead. Which won't be a difference, but is better than 87-75. I know, that was pointless, but whatever.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Look at the bright side, we're still in first place after the first month of the season. Three weeks ago we were all celebrating and now were on suicide watch? It's the baseball season. Teams will have slumps like this, that's just the way it is. You have to take it one day at a time. All we can hope is that the bats start waking up and pitching keeps doing what it's doing. If we are still over .500 at the end of May, I'll be very happy.

:bandance:

Lip Man 1
04-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm reminded of the old song, sorry I don't remember who sang it, "wasted days and wasted nights..."

Well at least they had a winning month and are on pace for 84 wins. (14 wins per month times six months...)

Oh by the way, another back breaking two out RBI by the opposition today. Funny how everyone else seems to be able to do that but the White Sox isn't it?

Personally for some of the hitters, particularly the guys who were here last season and the second half of 06, I wouldn't be surprised if hitting with men on base or in the clutch or in scoring position is starting to become a mental issue, i.e. knowing what has been happening (or not happening) is starting to really add to the pressure.

Lip

kittle42
04-30-2008, 04:13 PM

If they keep playing this way, your first point will be gone soon, your second point may or may not be valid, and your third point will, by the end of the year, most certainly be invalid.

turners56
04-30-2008, 04:13 PM
More then half of paulie's RBI's have come in just 4 games. (11) 13 of Thome's RBI's have come in 4 games. I was consistant at bat's. Thome has struck out 2 or more times in a game 9 times this year. I see a problem when these guys are batting 3 and 4 in the order, no consistant production.

Konerko, alone, has won the team at least 2 games. Thome has also, single handedly won the Sox 2 games. Juan Uribe hasn't won the team anything. If Konerko and Thome are struggling and still producing, that's a good thing. Because, you and I both know that Konerko and Thome are in their respective slumps right now.

turners56
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
If they keep playing this way, your first point will be gone soon, your second point may or may not be valid, and your third point will, by the end of the year, most certainly be invalid.

Look at Toronto's record (and their hitting stats). If we keep on sucking by the end of the week, come and talk to me. As of now, enjoy first place while it's still ours.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM

Oh, brother. Their starting pitching will improve somewhat. Not so sure about the pen. And their offense has already started coming around. let's not be silly here.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 04:16 PM

Agreed. Where there's smoke, there's fire, and some people here just want to wait until they get burned.

RockJock07
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Let me tell you something about Jim Thome and Paul Konerko: Despite the low batting averages, both have gotten huge hits to win games for us this year.

Thome won us a game in Baltimore with a 3-run HR. He had a four-hit game in Tampa Bay too. Konerko drove in the FIRST FIVE RUNS of an 11-0 win over Detroit on the opening homestand of the year. His home runs were largely responsible for the win over Baltimore on Sunday.

Last I checked, Konerko is hitting over .300 with RISP this year. Thome went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI today. He was our best hitter this afternoon. Yet, he's getting attacked here.

You are embarrassing yourself by lumping Thome and Konerko in with Juan Uribe.

How many times have they struck out when we've needed a key hit? I would guess it's quite a few times. I'm not attacking them, it's what I see when I watch the games. These guys are long time veterans, I expect better at bats and consistant production, you should too.

turners56
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh, brother. Their starting pitching will improve somewhat. Not so sure about the pen. And their offense has already started coming around. let's not be silly here.

And what makes you think our offense won't come around EVER AGAIN? Weren't they beating up on Detroit a couple of weeks ago?

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Thank God the Starting Pitching has held its ground and not given up with the lack of support (I have seen this happen way too often in a baeball season).

The bullpen had a very rough stretch the last 2 weeks but it looks as if it was only a slight bump on the road.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 04:19 PM

This site is starting to remind of of ****ing politics. Everything is condensed to soundbites and everyone has to have an easy label to throw on every comment/poster.

Anderson has a good game. Great! Shut the **** up, "Anderson supporters."

Anderson has a bad game? That's unfortunate, but shut the **** up, "BA haters."

This team was way more problems than its backup outfielder situation. Talk about some of them. Maybe the Bulls dynasty was good enough where the top argument should rightfully be about their 12th man. Not this team.

pudge
04-30-2008, 04:20 PM

Amen, Cabrera's at bats have been garbage, very disappointed so far. At least Swisher battles pretty well. But overall, very disheartening.

JB98
Konerko, alone, has won the team at least 2 games. Thome has also, single handedly won the Sox 2 games. Juan Uribe hasn't won the team anything. If Konerko and Thome are struggling and still producing, that's a good thing. Because, you and I both know that Konerko and Thome are in their respective slumps right now.

I think it's fair to say we expect bigger things out of both Thome and Konerko in the days to come. But they've both had their moments. We wouldn't be in first place without them, contrary to popular belief here. People are just getting too hung up on the low batting averages.

Thome and Konerko are not "free swingers," as they have been labeled in this thread. They get deep in counts. They work pitchers. They take their walks. Juan Uribe does NONE of these things.

I think Thome is the type of hitter who contributes to an offense even if he goes 0-fer, because the pitcher has to use 20 pitches to get him out four times.

In addition, I thought Jim was our best hitter in this Minnesota series: 3-for-8 with two doubles and an RBI. Maybe that's like being the tallest midget, but I think Thome is doing fine at the plate right now.

turners56
This site is starting to remind of of ****ing politics. Everything is condensed to soundbites and everyone has to have an easy label to throw on every comment/poster.

Anderson has a good game. Great! Shut the **** up, "Anderson supporters."

Anderson has a bad game? That's unfortunate, but shut the **** up, "BA haters."

This team was way more problems than its backup outfielder situation. Talk about some of them. Maybe the Bulls dynasty was good enough where the top argument should rightfully be about their 12th man. Not this team.

I was just wondering :rolleyes:

kittle42
04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Cool! I like you're way of thinking!

AHHHHH! Dousing gasoline on my fire!

Chicken Dinner
Well at least they had a winning month and are on pace for 84 wins. (14 wins per month times six months...)

But then they'll only lose 72. (12 losses per month times six months) :D:

kittle42

Another stupid ****ing label around here.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 04:24 PM

The ones which I can't stand are:

Dark Clouds, the sky is falling, it's a long season, relax, it's early, or "this is going to be an epic thread."

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 04:24 PM
AHHHHH! Dousing gasoline on my fire!
lol.. dammit.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Another stupid ****ing label around here.

yup, I meanto to put in quotes because that's what I have been called in the past for being worried about my team.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
And what makes you think our offense won't come around EVER AGAIN? Weren't they beating up on Detroit a couple of weeks ago?

I'm not saying it won't, but on the flip side who's to say our pitching won't go in the ****ter?

All I'm saying is, more often than not, teams end up where they are generally supposed to be, and while Detroit is showing signs of life now, we are showing we are not all that the first two weeks were cracked up to be. It goes both ways.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm not saying it won't, but on the flip side who's to say our pitching won't go in the ****ter?

All I'm saying is, more often than not, teams end up where they are generally supposed to be, and while Detroit is showing signs of life now, we are showing we are not all that the first two weeks were cracked up to be. It goes both ways.

But nobody is in the division thus far. And we don't truly we know where teams are "supposed to be" until the season is at least half over.

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
But what if............

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
But nobody is in the division thus far. And we don't truly we know where teams are "supposed to be" until the season is at least half over.

The whole division does look pretty weak.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 04:32 PM

I agree. There are logical flaws in my statement. I just think it's silly to look at the division right now, assume Detroit and Cleveland will both keep playing mediocre ball when they were expected to be great, keep thinking the Sox will play above-average when they were expected not to, expect the Sox offense to turn around and not the Detroit offense, expect the Detroit pitching to stay ****ty and the Sox starting (which was supposed to be a question mark) to continue to be lights out, etc., etc.

In the end, it is some combination of these things, of course. But I think people focus on one variable and act like everything else is a constant.

JB98
04-30-2008, 04:32 PM
How many times have they struck out when we've needed a key hit? I would guess it's quite a few times. I'm not attacking them, it's what I see when I watch the games. These guys are long time veterans, I expect better at bats and consistant production, you should too.

Nobody comes through 100 percent of the time. The first couple weeks, Thome was in a horrible slump. But ever since he came back from that suspension, he's been pretty solid. I think he'll be better in the weeks to come.

Konerko has had his typical cold April, but it seems like the majority of his hits have come at key times. His RBI total is excellent for someone with so few hits.

I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. I think Cabrera has been hurting this offense. Also, when JD was out against Baltimore, it threw the lineup out of whack and we had a lot of failure from the bottom of the order with RISP. AJ and Quentin were getting on, and nobody was picking them up. Anderson had a good game Saturday, but that was it.

Now that Dye is back, he looks rusty. Which is understandable, but in the meantime it's hurting the offense.

Don't think I don't have high expectations for Thome and Konerko. I do. I'm not saying I'm 100 percent satisfied with their performance. I am saying it's ridiculous to compare them to Juan Uribe.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 04:33 PM

When you look at our line-up 1-9 (with the xcp of 9), there is no reason why this team should be hitting .240

This is why it so damn frustrating :angry:

The talent is there to win this year.

I can guarantee we lost at least 4-6 games here in April so far because of the offense not showing up.

In other words, this two game lead we hold in the division should easliy be 6-8 games right now and all will be fine.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I agree. There are logical flaws in my statement. I just think it's silly to look at the division right now, assume Detroit and Cleveland will both keep playing mediocre ball when they were expected to be great, keep thinking the Sox will play above-average when they were expected not to, expect the Sox offense to turn around and not the Detroit offense, expect the Detroit pitching to stay ****ty and the Sox starting (which was supposed to be a question mark) to continue to be lights out, etc., etc.

In the end, it is some combination of these things, of course. But I think people focus on one variable and act like everything else is a constant.

Right, I just meant that nobody is running away with the division just yet, and not one team looks really good thus far. It's still very early, and things will swing one way or the other. Someone will distance themselves from the pack, be it ahead or behind.

PicktoCLick72
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
When people keep refering to the statement of we could have stretched our lead out, do they think a four game lead at the end of May is somehow insurmountable? The division is going to be very competitve whether or not we won the last two games.
Though I know some expect a 162-0 season, every team will go through a rough stretch. Just because we got off to blazing starts in 05 does mean that is the only way to win this division. It is a long season and if every small rough patch causes this much anger WSIers are going to be raising their collective blood pressure an unhealthy amount.

Hello Mr. Comma

LoveYourSuit
Just found out Doc Halliday is pitching this series.............. I am already tipping my hat out to him.

jreds23
When you look at our line-up 1-9 (with the xcp of 9), there is no reason why this team should be hitting .240

This is why it so damn frustrating :angry:

The talent is there to win this year.

I can guarantee we lost at least 4-6 games here in April so far because of the offense not showing up.

In other words, this two game lead we hold in the division should easliy be 6-8 games right now and all will be fine.
this is what I have been saying all afternoon and what is the constant behind this Walker, he needs to either get these guys to have better game plans at the plate or we need a new hitting coach.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
When people keep refering to the statement of we could have stretched our lead out, do they think a four game lead at the end of May is somehow insurmountable? The division is going to be very competitve whether or not we won the last two games.
Though I know some expect a 162-0 season, every team will go through a rough stretch. Just because we got off to blazing starts in 05 does mean that is the only way to win this division. It is a long season and if every small rough patch causes this much anger WSIers are going to be raising their collective blood pressure an unhealthy amount.

Hello Mr. Comma

I am all about kicking a dog while he/she is down.

The Tigers were due to get out of the hole they were in, but it made it much easier for them to do so while looking up at the leader and seeing us stumbling on our own feet.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Just found out Doc Halliday is pitching this series.............. I am already tipping my hat out to him.

He's pitched 4 consecutive complete games!

Bob G
I just checked the box score - it said we had 14 LOB? Is this accurate?? I hope not but if it is we're absolutely pathetic!!

Looks like the pitching staff will need to throw shut outs - maybe we'll win a few that way ... maybe.

Foulke You
Damn. Why is it we ALWAYS catch Doc Halliday when we play Toronto? Not a good pitcher to snap out of an offensive funk against.:(:

JB98
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Hello Mr. Comma

You know what it is? The Sox haven't gotten off to a mediocre or subpar start and recovered to win the division since 1983. All the other division winners that we've cheered for during my lifetime have gotten off to either good or great starts.

It is possible to play mediocre in the first half and then light it up and win the division in the second half. It's just that the Sox haven't done that in a long time, so people are kinda skeptical that it could happen here.

RockJock07
04-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Nobody comes through 100 percent of the time. The first couple weeks, Thome was in a horrible slump. But ever since he came back from that suspension, he's been pretty solid. I think he'll be better in the weeks to come.

Konerko has had his typical cold April, but it seems like the majority of his hits have come at key times. His RBI total is excellent for someone with so few hits.

I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. I think Cabrera has been hurting this offense. Also, when JD was out against Baltimore, it threw the lineup out of whack and we had a lot of failure from the bottom of the order with RISP. AJ and Quentin were getting on, and nobody was picking them up. Anderson had a good game Saturday, but that was it.

Now that Dye is back, he looks rusty. Which is understandable, but in the meantime it's hurting the offense.

Don't think I don't have high expectations for Thome and Konerko. I do. I'm not saying I'm 100 percent satisfied with their performance. I am saying it's ridiculous to compare them to Juan Uribe.

I know everyone doesn't produce 100% of the time, I'm just saying that the two best white sox players must throw this team on their backs and bring them through this slump. Good players produce closer to 100% then 50% or 25% of the time.

I just want good at bats because these guys have proven that they can do it which in turn will bring them out of their funk.

Yes, i guess it's still early, but every game matters, especially when the two other teams in your division are stuggle. The pressure is on DET and CLE to come back and try to take out the Sox. I don't wanna face DET or CLE in August if they come into town only 2 or 3 games out.

What makes these games vs Balt and MIN so frustrating is that they are beatable teams. With what BAL and MIN threw out there in terms of starting pitchers was pretty average at best. I want Ozzie to toy with the line-up everyday until something clicks. I don't care how crazy it seems, maybe put CQ in the leadoff spot and bat AJ second, i don't care how f-ed up it seems, something needs to be done.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Damn. Why is it we ALWAYS catch Doc Halliday when we play Toronto? Not a good pitcher to snap out of an offensive funk against.:(:
Its even better. We get that kid Marcum on Friday that shut us out last year. But in a four game series, I wasn't expecting to miss Halliday

Domeshot17
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Toby Hall is TERRIBLE! He may not end up with an RBI all year.

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Toby Hall is TERRIBLE! He may not end up with an RBI all year.
Teal? He had two hits today

Law11
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Its early, we'll start hitting..

I could have grabbed this same quote off one of last years posts..

Eddo144
04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I know everyone doesn't produce 100% of the time, I'm just saying that the two best white sox players must throw this team on their backs and bring them through this slump. Good players produce closer to 100% then 50% or 25% of the time.

Midway point between 25% and 100%: 62.5%.
All-time single-season record for batting average: 44.0% (Hugh Duffy, 1894).
All-time single-season record for on-base percentage: 60.9% (Barry Bonds, 2004).
Career record for batting average: 36.6% (Ty Cobb).
Career record for on-base percentage: 48.2% (Ted Williams).

In what world do any players producer closer to 100% of the time than 25% of the time? :scratch:

kittle42
04-30-2008, 04:57 PM
It's Halladay.

RockJock07
04-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Midway point between 25% and 100%: 62.5%.
All-time single-season record for batting average: 44.0% (Hugh Duffy, 1894).
All-time single-season record for on-base percentage: 60.9% (Barry Bonds, 2004).
Career record for batting average: 36.6% (Ty Cobb).
Career record for on-base percentage: 48.2% (Ted Williams).

In what world do any players producer closer to 100% of the time than 25% of the time? :scratch:

I guess I really meant to say that star or franchise players tend to produce more then others. Konerko and Thome are star players and should be held to a higher standard, maybe not 62.5 but with a guy one 1st, grounding into a dp or striking out would not be an ideal situation.

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I guess I really meant to say that star or franchise players tend to produce more then others. Konerko and Thome are star players and should be held to a higher standard, maybe not 62.5 but with a guy one 1st, grounding into a dp or striking out would not be an ideal situation.

But Grand Slams are OK.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM

Thome had a good series vs the Twins. Both hitters are on pace for well over 100 RBIs this season.

infohawk
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
It's the offense. Think about it. The last three games we've given up 3, 3, and 4 runs and don't have a win to show for it. One game isn't over yet, but still...winless.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
With all the posts railing against the team's current performance and how we'll be in 4th place in a month, you'd think the Sox would have lost more than two games in a row. :scratch:

Tragg
04-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Cabrera was pencilled in as the 2 hole hitter....and I'm trying to figure out why. He hits like a 9 hole hitter. 2 Uribes in the lineup.
For the 2.5 prior years, we had .340 OBP and 15-20 homers in the 2 hole.....that player had "no value".

Law11
04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
With all the posts railing against the team's current performance and how we'll be in 4th place in a month, you'd think the Sox would have lost more than two games in a row. :scratch:

Its the whole Minnesota thing for me. I'm not about to jump of swallows cliff but there isnt a team I hate more.. Including the losers to the north.

turners56
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Cabrera was pencilled in as the 2 hole hitter....and I'm trying to figure out why. He hits like a 9 hole hitter. 2 Uribes in the lineup.
For the 2.5 prior years, we had .340 OBP and 15-20 homers in the 2 hole.....that player had "no value".

I miss Tadahito.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Ask anyone whether they'd rather have the middle infield of Uribe/Iguchi or Cabrera/Uribe, and I wonder what they'd say.

This is ridiculousness.

chisoxfanatic
04-30-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm really really glad I was at work for this one! Keeping tabs of this one on Game Cast was bad enough. I'm hoping that, if this offense doesn't get it going (they truly are a feast or famine type of offense), then Walker needs to be fired. It's been too long for them to be struggling collectively in their BA.

turners56
04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Ask anyone whether they'd rather have the middle infield of Uribe/Iguchi or Cabrera/Uribe, and I wonder what they'd say.

This is ridiculousness.

I'd rather have Iguchi and Cabrera :rolleyes:. This way, Ozzie can finally utilize Iguchi lower in the order for his power and Cabrera can continue hitting in the 2nd spot, even though it's not working out so far.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2008, 06:18 PM
In the post game story at White Sox.com they quoted Swisher as saying that he thinks players are starting to press right now, that things are starting to get into their heads.

Just thought that comment was revealing.

Lip

turners56
04-30-2008, 06:23 PM
In the post game story at White Sox.com they quoted Swisher as saying that he thinks players are starting to press right now, that things are starting to get into their heads.

Lip

Maybe Ozzie needs to tell them to start doing Yoga or something. Like us, they need to relax.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Maybe Ozzie needs to tell them to start doing Yoga or something. Like us, they need to relax.

They need to stop worrying about holding those signs up in the middle of games.

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Nice appearances by Masset, Thornton and Dotel today. Anderson's 3 hits were good to see. That's about it. More weird dinks and doinks in the Humpdome. Thome is looking completely helpless against the opposition's late inning LOOGY.

Anyone else surprised AJ wasn't pinch hitting for Hall after Uribe's sac bunt moved BA to second? That seemed to be the key AB of the game for the Sox.

No one should be pressing...we'll close out April is 1st place with nearly 2/3's of the line up slumping...I like our chances.

Paulwny
04-30-2008, 06:40 PM

Lip

Time for the Sox to hire an in house "Shrink".

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Time for the Sox to hire an in house "Shrink".

Or sacrifice a live chicken. :cool:

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Or sacrifice a live chicken. :cool:

Or fire up the "Journey" music.

turners56
04-30-2008, 07:07 PM
They need to stop worrying about holding those signs up in the middle of games.

Paulie is the only exception. Because he takes his out during his home run trot. Unfortunately, it's only happened 5 times so far.

itsnotrequired
04-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Paulie is the only exception. Because he takes his out during his home run trot. Unfortunately, it's only happened 5 times so far.

How dare he only be two behind the league leader!

Madscout
04-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I ****ing hate the twins. The can go **** themselves, with their BS hits and crap ball.

ChiSoxIn06
04-30-2008, 07:54 PM
this reeks of 07 all over again...pitching keeping us around 500 through april and then the bullpen goes to shambles and then its all downhill...and for those who say its only april and they will come out of it....didn't we all say that last year? and how did that turn out?

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 07:56 PM
this reeks of 07 all over again...pitching keeping us around 500 through april and then the bullpen goes to shambles and then its all downhill...and for those who say its only april and they will come out of it....didn't we all say that last year? and how did that turn out?

Well, just out of fairness, we chastised everyone when they said this team reminded them of '05 in the first two weeks. Same has to be done if you say this team reminds you of '07.

JB98
04-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Do we have to have posts about 2007 every time we lose a game?

Apparently, we do.

Jjav829
04-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Do we have to have posts about 2007 every time we lose a game?

Apparently, we do.

Ha, pretty much.

Any loss or negative thing about the Sox - reference 2007.

Any win or positive thing about the Sox - reference 2005.

:smile:

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Ha, pretty much.

And here I was thinking it was 2008. Silly me!

JB98
04-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Ha, pretty much.

That seems to be the case. Of course, both references are patently ridiculous.

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
We're currently tied (w/Angels, Red Sox, A's) for #2 in runs scored as a team. So our offense is pretty good.

We're currently tied (w/Tampa) for #2 in team ERA. So we pitch pretty well.

We're currently tied (w/Cleveland and Boston) for #3 in team fielding percentage. So we field pretty well.

I like our chances.

Hitmen77
04-30-2008, 08:34 PM

That what I have been telling myself since July 2006.

This is getting ****ing old. Our lineup is full of guys that on paper should be producing a ton of runs. #1 and 2 that could be hitting about .280 and draw a ton of walks. 3, 4, and 5 heart of the lineup that should be striking fear into opposing teams. 6, 7, 8 that consists of guys who have been hitting well this year. I don't care if alot of those guys are slow - they should still be a formidable offense even without an ideal speedster.

I'm starting to think what I'm waiting for is just a mirage. We Sox fans keep looking for an extended offensive surge from this team on the horizon and it never comes.

I don't know if firing Walker will help any...so I'm not screaming for it yet. But it's incredible that some think that he's completely beyond reproach for a team that has sputtered offensively for almost 2 years.

Tragg
04-30-2008, 09:05 PM

This is ridiculousness.
I'm not sure what you're saying, but I say having a bad hitter like Uribe at 2B for any long term is unnecessary and is a signficant drain on the offense.

The good news is is that we have to take the draft choices for Cabrera now (I would think).

Grzegorz
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
We're currently tied (w/Angels, Red Sox, A's) for #2 in runs scored as a team. So our offense is pretty good.

We're currently tied (w/Cleveland and Boston) for #3 in team fielding percentage. So we field pretty well.

I like our chances.

Great post...

After the first month I am pleasantly surprised.

BRDSR
04-30-2008, 10:02 PM

I like our chances.

There are two sides to that coin, my friend. If we're looking so great on paper but still only two games over .500, what's going to happen when the paper numbers start to slide a little bit?

champagne030
04-30-2008, 10:03 PM

And we're much closer to the A's, who won't be there at the end of the season.

We're currently tied (w/Tampa) for #2 in team ERA. So we pitch pretty well.Another team that won't be anywhere close to that ranking at the end of the season.

Are you saying we hit like the A's and have the pitching of Tampa?

Yikes, that's an ugly combo.

angiew
04-30-2008, 10:09 PM
So I tivo'd the game and just finished it. OMG, how frustrating:(: Only good thing I can say about that game was BA got it done today. I'm not a BA lover, but he brought his game today. I'm hoping we'll turn it around now that we're leaving that ****ty dome.

soxfan44
04-30-2008, 10:30 PM

Stoney and Farmio didn't seem to think it was up. I was listening, not watching.

soxfan44
04-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Dude, you must be joking. Detroit just took two of three from the Yankees and the spread between first and last in the Central is 2 games.

The honeymoon is over. We're toast. Go ahead and say it's too early, but it's inevitable.

thomas35forever
04-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Dude, you must be joking. Detroit just took two of three from the Yankees and the spread between first and last in the Central is 2 games.

The honeymoon is over. We're toast. Go ahead and say it's too early, but it's inevitable.
:chickenlittle

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 10:58 PM
There are two sides to that coin, my friend. If we're looking so great on paper but still only two games over .500, what's going to happen when the paper numbers start to slide a little bit?

Well....I don't expect a drop off in runs/offense, because I don't expect 2/3's of the line up to hit so far below their career averages. This is the main area I expect to improve in May/June.

As far as pitching goes...Buehrle didn't have a very good month, Contreras got on track in the middle of the month...so I think they will improve which would offset Floyd/Danks cooling off a bit. Wassermann is an upgrade over MacDougal and puts Dotel in a better role...so our bullpen should improve as well.

Fielding? I don't see anyone playing over their head...so I expect that to hold.

With that said..I think you make a good point that we should have made more of these results than 2 games over .500.

Parrothead
05-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Todays game was not worth the 7 hour drive. However throw in yesterdays St. Paul Saints game and it was fun. The Sox are just plain bad offensively and yes they are done. I feel like I am re-living last year.

Nellie_Fox
05-01-2008, 01:13 AM
yes they are done.Well, then, pack it in. See you next year.

Parrothead
05-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Well, then, pack it in. See you next year.

Again, I already have. I told you all, I did not renew my season tix. I still enjoy going to and watching the games (and wil lto about 10 way down from my usual 30) but I don't think they are going anywhere. But thanks for you advice.

Hitmen77
05-01-2008, 07:56 AM
I miss Tadahito.

He's hitting .243 for San Diego right now.

cws05champ
05-01-2008, 08:46 AM

Uhhh, Can someone just take the winning % (.538) times 162. That makes the wins/month argument nil. By the way it comes to 87.156 wins. The .156 is the partial win in the Baltimore game the other night:D:

Viva Medias B's
05-01-2008, 08:51 AM

With that average, he'd fit right in our lineup!

JB98
05-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Stoney and Farmio didn't seem to think it was up. I was listening, not watching.

I was watching, and the ball was up. It was a neck-high fastball. If Morneau had not swung, it would have been ball four without question.

soxfan44
05-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I was watching, and the ball was up. It was a neck-high fastball. If Morneau had not swung, it would have been ball four without question.

I stand corrected.

turners56
05-01-2008, 03:57 PM

You're not getting my point. You're saying the White Sox can never play as well as the Tigers or something? The Tigers started off playing 2-10 baseball, now they've taken at least 2 of 3 from the Yankees and about to get back to .500. Meaning they've been playing 8 above .500 baseball since. My point was however, is that if the Tigers sucked as much as they did and got back on their feet, why can't we? Hell, we're not even close to the way they were playing for the first 12 games. The Tigers and White Sox are very similar types of teams on offense. Based on power, and a lot of it. The Tigers can't run either, outside of Granderson, their team isn't scary on the base paths. Their starting pitching is nowhere near as good as ours (so far) and their bullpen is half a mess. So you're saying we can never hit like they do? Well, we were doing it two weeks ago (against them), stop treating a minor hitting slump like a season-long one. Just because the team didn't hit last year doesn't mean they won't ever hit again. Get 2007 out of your mind, it's over, deal with it. Stop being so damn negative about a 14-12 team, who on paper seem like one of the elite teams in the league. We haven't had our share of luck, that's certain. Bobby Jenks blew two winnable games against Baltimore, would you be happier if our record was 16-11 instead of 14-12? I would think so. This recent offensive slump happens to every single team out there and I am certain that the slump should break very soon. The weather is warming up, they won't be playing in 40 degree weather or the worst baseball facility in America anymore. Let's see how it goes, but whatever you do, stop digging a grave for the 2008 season already.

turners56
05-01-2008, 03:59 PM

I'd still rather have him than Juan Uribe.

white sox bill
05-01-2008, 04:12 PM
We need much more production from PK,Thome and Dye. They are soooo slow on the base pads its pathetic. PK and Dye WILL pick it up when warmer weather comes around, count on it

spiffie
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
We need much more production from PK,Thome and Dye. They are soooo slow on the base pads its pathetic. PK and Dye WILL pick it up when warmer weather comes around, count on it
Maybe we should get some of the players from other teams who seem to be able to play in sub 60 degree weather, you know, the guys who beat us?

white sox bill
05-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe we should get some of the players from other teams who seem to be able to play in sub 60 degree weather, you know, the guys who beat us?

Think Bud would allow us to expand roster to say 242?

kittle42
05-01-2008, 09:32 PM

Yeah, I love these stupid weather excuses. BOTH teams have to play in it, you know. It's the same crap with the "air in Arizona" during the spring. people only seem to think it affects us, by some magical mystical power.

soxfan44
05-01-2008, 10:34 PM
You're not getting my point. You're saying the White Sox can never play as well as the Tigers or something? The Tigers started off playing 2-10 baseball, now they've taken at least 2 of 3 from the Yankees and about to get back to .500. Meaning they've been playing 8 above .500 baseball since. My point was however, is that if the Tigers sucked as much as they did and got back on their feet, why can't we? Hell, we're not even close to the way they were playing for the first 12 games. The Tigers and White Sox are very similar types of teams on offense. Based on power, and a lot of it. The Tigers can't run either, outside of Granderson, their team isn't scary on the base paths. Their starting pitching is nowhere near as good as ours (so far) and their bullpen is half a mess. So you're saying we can never hit like they do? Well, we were doing it two weeks ago (against them), stop treating a minor hitting slump like a season-long one. Just because the team didn't hit last year doesn't mean they won't ever hit again. Get 2007 out of your mind, it's over, deal with it. Stop being so damn negative about a 14-12 team, who on paper seem like one of the elite teams in the league. We haven't had our share of luck, that's certain. Bobby Jenks blew two winnable games against Baltimore, would you be happier if our record was 16-11 instead of 14-12? I would think so. This recent offensive slump happens to every single team out there and I am certain that the slump should break very soon. The weather is warming up, they won't be playing in 40 degree weather or the worst baseball facility in America anymore. Let's see how it goes, but whatever you do, stop digging a grave for the 2008 season already.

I hope you're right, but realistically, Detroit's lineup makes the Sox's look pretty weak, (they don't have a Uribe) plus Granderson is a heck of a pain in the ass to other teams. He wasn't with them when we played them, plus Grilli's gone and he seemed to be the most problematic part of the bullpen. They also just brought up some guy to the rotation who's been lights out.

It get's really hard to watch teams like the Tigers, Indians and Twins bring guys up from the minors and plug them in and they contribute right away. Our model is broken. You can't say we're going to win now and damn the future if you don't really go out and get the guys who can win now.