PDA

View Full Version : Ramirez can't go to Canada

anewman35
04-30-2008, 01:22 PM
According to KW, they're going to make a roster move after this game, because Ramirez would have visa problems getting back from Canada. Possibly Owens, possibly a reliever.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080430&content_id=2614547&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Madvora
04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Intersting quote.

MOD EDIT: You cannot paste copyrighted text, such as that found on whitesox.com, directly on our message boards. Using the "quote" feature does not make it OK...

Now you just have to teach the players in the organization to bunt. Then you can find out why guys who used to be able to bunt suddenly forget it when they come to the Sox.

balke
04-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Intersting quote.

Now you just have to teach the players in the organization to bunt. Then you can find out why guys who used to be able to bunt suddenly forget it when they come to the Sox.

Yeah, depending how upset Ozzie got at BA in that game, Owens might be back.

thedudeabides
04-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Visa problems. They can get him in, but aren't sure if they can get him out.

Farmer says they will have to send him down or bring a 24 man roster to Toronto.

soxfan44
04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Time to see what Owens can do!

Sockinchisox
04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Fields was pulled after 2 ABs today....

Jenks4Prez
04-30-2008, 02:07 PM

NICE!!! Get that man a Road Gray!

GBORN
04-30-2008, 02:08 PM

Farmer says they will have to send him down or bring a 24 man roster to Toronto.

Huh? You're joking right...They really check all the pro players passports and visas when going on a team trip to Canada?

Chilli Palmer
04-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Huh? You're joking right...They really check all the pro players passports and visas when going on a team trip to Canada?

Of course they do, why wouldn't they? In other news.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Send him down and bring up Owens, we need speed on this team period.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Of course they do, why wouldn't they? In other news.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Send him down and bring up Owens, we need speed on this team period.

I expect Fields up to get Crede a day or two off, especially if he was pulled from his AB today.

btrain929
04-30-2008, 02:15 PM

I'd be VERY surprised if that was the case...

anewman35
04-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Actually, he can go to Canada, he just couldn't come back. There's an article on whitesox.com about it.

GBORN
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM

It just seems like this is something front office would have handled long ago. I can't see the team all standing in line giving customs their Visas and passports. Don't the Sox have a chartered flight? But thanks for the arrogant response Chilli Palmer.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 02:29 PM
It just seems like this is something front office would have handled long ago. I can't see the team all standing in line giving customs their Visas and passports. Don't the Sox have a chartered flight? But thanks for your arrogant response Chilli Palmer :bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

They have to have work visas, it's not like any normal American visiting Canada. Also, it gets even more complicated because many players are not US citizens. I'd imagine the situation for Alexei is unique, since he defected here from Cuba.

Hokiesox
04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
It just seems like this is something front office would have handled long ago. I can't see the team all standing in line giving customs their Visas and passports.

They sure do! They may get their own line, but why would the respective domestic governments give sports teams special preference? No other business gets a pass. If anything, without getting political, in our heightened security times, they're going to be stricter about visas in the coming future.

GBORN
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
They sure do! They may get their own line, but why would the respective domestic governments give sports teams special preference? No other business gets a pass. If anything, without getting political, in our heightened security times, they're going to be stricter about visas in the coming future.

Good point. I guess I figured the White Sox would have diplomatic immunity like Die Hard. :cool:

kevingrt
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Why would Fields come up???????

Pablo just played for Joe on Monday right or Sunday right? And we have an off day tomorrow. There is no point in bringing Fields up.

EMachine10
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Actually, he can go to Canada, he just couldn't come back. There's an article on whitesox.com about it.

Edmonton still has a AAA team, right? Can we stash him away there until we come back?

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Edmonton still has a AAA team, right? Can we stash him away there until we come back?

I don't think the Trappers have been around for years.

Are there any minor league teams left in Canada?

EDIT: There's one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Canadians

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:30 PM

This is why you use Mastercard, sheesh.

Alexei, the first thing you need to learn when you get to America, is to use reliable credit cards, not bad ones.

On a serious note, why can't the White Sox work something out? If they got him here from Mexico, don't see how they can't get him to Canada and then back here...

EMachine10
04-30-2008, 03:34 PM

Alexei, the first thing you need to learn when you get to America, is to use reliable credit cards, not bad ones.

On a serious note, why can't the White Sox work something out? If they got him here from Mexico, don't see how they can't get him to Canada and then back here...

He's Cuban

Chilli Palmer
04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
It just seems like this is something front office would have handled long ago. I can't see the team all standing in line giving customs their Visas and passports. Don't the Sox have a chartered flight? But thanks for the arrogant response Chilli Palmer.

You are very welcomed.

cws05champ
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
On second thought, why would you WANT to go to Canada!!

BLAME CANADA, BLAME CANADA!!!

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM

Because immigration issues are not that simple. Work visas can get very complicated, and I don't know what his citizenship status is. I imagine he's filed for a hardship case coming from Cuba, but the immigration process can be a very long one.

turners56
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
He's Cuban

He was playing in Mexico after he left Cuba from a floating boat. Or was that Yuniesky Betancourt?

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
He was playing in Mexico after he left Cuba from a floating boat. Or was that Yuniesky Betancourt?

I think that was Betancourt. Ramirez came through the Dominican Republic, and I think, though am not sure, he's applying for citizenship there; thus, any issues have to go through them and the US. I don't imagine it's an easy process by any means.

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Maybe this is the excuse the Sox are using to find a way to demote this kid for good without breaking his heart.

"Hey Alexei, you can't go to Toronto because of your Visa so we will send you down a few days so we can use your roster spot."

Meanwhile, his call back to the bigs is never made.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Maybe this is the excuse the Sox are using to find a way to demote this kid for good without breaking his heart.

"Hey Alexei, you can't go to Toronto because of your Visa so we will send you down a few days so we can use your roster spot."

Meanwhile, his call back to the bigs is never made.

So, you think the White Sox are lying about the visa issue? :scratch:

LoveYourSuit
04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
So, you think the White Sox are lying about the visa issue? :scratch:

No

UofCSoxFan
04-30-2008, 04:01 PM
How was this not taken care of already? I mean are we suprised we actually have to play in Toronto this year?

And while this may be a blessing in disguise, the Sox would just demot Alexei if they wanted to. No reason to make up a story. Kenny and Ozzie don't seem to be the type of people that would make up a story to spare a players feelings..nor should they be.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't mean this to be nasty but the way Ramirez has been hitting is it such a loss?

Lip

RockJock07
04-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Because immigration issues are not that simple. Work visas can get very complicated, and I don't know what his citizenship status is. I imagine he's filed for a hardship case coming from Cuba, but the immigration process can be a very long one.

Yeah, tis true, a player from the fire is having the same problem. He can't join the team due to problems with his work visa. He will get it worked out, after all, Jose can go, A Ram not going is not that big a deal right now.

I'd be real interesting if Josh would come up, maybe Ozzie plans to have him DH and play 3rd all weekend. But if Konerko's injury lingers why wonldn't you bring up Owens and have Swis play 1st. Real shocker if Josh is the one, but I'll welcome him with open arms.

infohawk
04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Usually when border agents are informed that someone has a Cuban to declare, it would refer to a cigar. And you can't bring those into the United States!

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Usually when border agents are informed that someone has a Cuban to declare, it would refer to a cigar. And you can't bring those into the United States!

The last time I came through US Customs that's exactly what they asked...."Do you have any Cubans?"

IceczMan
04-30-2008, 05:22 PM
The last time I came through US Customs that's exactly what they asked...."Do you have any Cubans?"

Jerry (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000632/): Yeah. Oh, you must be Kramer's guys. So, you got the cigars?
Cuban Man: What cigars?
Jerry (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000632/): Kramer told me I was supposed to pick up some Cubans.
Cuban Man: Yes. We are the Cubans.

IceczMan
04-30-2008, 05:24 PM

The stat sheet says Fields 0-2, 1 BB, so...3 Plate Appearances...

Hitmen77
04-30-2008, 06:56 PM
How would this "short term" roster move work?

I know MLB has a "bereavement" status that allows players to be out for a few days and open up a roster spot. Other than that, I'm assuming that opening a roster spot would require officially sending Ramirez down to AAA....in which case I thought a team then couldn't recall a player to the majors for something like 10 or 15 days.

EMachine10
04-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah, depending how upset Ozzie got at BA in that game, Owens might be back.

He should be mad at himself.

Sockinchisox
04-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Fields left for precautionary reasons.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/04/ramirez-likely.html

turners56
04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Intersting quote.

Surprisingly, Uribe has shown he can bunt, Ramirez can bunt, Cabrera can bunt, Ozuna can bunt, A.J. has tried to bunt, Swisher failed at bunting, Anderson can't bunt, forget about Thome, Konerko, Dye, Crede, and Quentin, they're too good for that.

Not to be stereotypical or anything, but the Latino players seem to be better at bunting, I guess players developed through the American system weren't taught very well when it comes to laying the ball down the line.

whitesoxfan
04-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I expect Fields up to get Crede a day or two off, especially if he was pulled from his AB today.

You wouldn't waste an option on Fields just to have him spell Crede for a day or two.

It's Dankerific
04-30-2008, 07:46 PM
You wouldn't waste an option on Fields just to have him spell Crede for a day or two.

The option isnt used bringing him up, it was when we sent him down to start the year. we can bounce him up and down all year on that option.

no worries.

Daver
04-30-2008, 07:50 PM
The option isnt used bringing him up, it was when we sent him down to start the year. we can bounce him up and down all year on that option.

no worries.

No it wasn't.

He wasn't on the twenty five man roster.

anewman35
04-30-2008, 07:54 PM
How would this "short term" roster move work?

I know MLB has a "bereavement" status that allows players to be out for a few days and open up a roster spot. Other than that, I'm assuming that opening a roster spot would require officially sending Ramirez down to AAA....in which case I thought a team then couldn't recall a player to the majors for something like 10 or 15 days.

There's an article somewhere (the Suntimes, I think) that says the Sox might try to stick him on a "restricted" list. It wasn't clear if that would actually work, though.

sox1970
04-30-2008, 07:58 PM

no worries.

Owens was optioned after his rehab assignment. You can only be on a rehab assignment for so long, then he would have had to be called up or optioned to Charlotte. He was optioned to Charlotte even though he was already there.

So yes, he can be called up and sent down all year now. His option has already been used for the year.

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Owens was optioned after his rehab assignment. You can only be on a rehab assignment for so long, then he would have had to be called up or optioned to Charlotte. He was optioned to Charlotte even though he was already there.

So yes, he can be called up and sent down all year now. His option has already been used for the year.

I thought the poster was referring to Josh Fields.

FireMariotti
04-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I doubt Ramirez or the Sox screwed up on this one.

This is just speculation, but from what i've heard from friends and family, the time between applying for and getting a visa can be months. We got Alexei at the end of December; it's been a little over four months. Especially for a non-American who defected from Cuba, I can see how the process might take a bit of time to complete.

Silver lining: We get to see what Owens can do. He has to be called up, right... Right?

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 08:12 PM
I doubt Ramirez or the Sox screwed up on this one.

This is just speculation, but from what i've heard from friends and family, the time between applying for and getting a visa can be months. We got Alexei at the end of December; it's been a little over four months. Especially for a non-American who defected from Cuba, I can see how the process might take a bit of time to complete.

Silver lining: We get to see what Owens can do. He has to be called up, right... Right?

The process can take years. Immigration law is not a simple matter, especially since there's immigration issues as well as issues with a work visa (I read he's applying for Dominican citizenship, not sure on that), which means he needs a work visa for the US as well as Canada. It's not a simple matter by any means.

JB98
04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
I would recall Fields, not Owens. We're OK in the outfield with Anderson and Ozuna as backups. Without Ramirez, Ozuna is the only backup infielder.

I don't think Ozzie is going to play Crede all four days on artificial turf. Fields would get one start, I'm sure. What's the harm in having him up for the weekend? He might be able to help us as a pinch-hitter too.

I'd rather they recall another relief pitcher than recall Owens. We don't need Jerry unless an outfielder gets injured.

sox1970
04-30-2008, 09:03 PM
I thought the poster was referring to Josh Fields.

My bad.

Trav
04-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Dumb question: Why is this a problem? or perhaps... Why are other Cuban defectors able to go to and fro without a problem? Contreras does not stay behind. In 05 The Duke didn't stay behind. What is the problem exactly?

DSpivack
04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Dumb question: Why is this a problem? or perhaps... Why are other Cuban defectors able to go to and fro without a problem? Contreras does not stay behind. In 05 The Duke didn't stay behind. What is the problem exactly?

There's a little mentioned here:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080430&content_id=2614547&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws