PDA

View Full Version : One month in, how do you feel about the Sox?

doublem23
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Opening Day was one month from today...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2008.shtml

How do we feel... Some stats to note:

.241 BA = Last in A.L.
35 HR = 1st in A.L.
131 R - 5th in A.L.
5.04 R/G = tied for 1st in A.L. (with Detroit)

3.76 ERA = 2nd in A.L.
216 H allowed = 2nd fewest in A.L.
15 HR allowed = fewest in A.L.

PolishPower83
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Starting pitching has been the key to a solid start. Now if we could only hit the damn ball!

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2008, 12:42 PM
This thread seems similar to this one sans the poll.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100481

sox1970
04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm happy with where the Sox are in the standings. They survived April, thanks to Danks and Floyd. That's the biggest positive.

Hopefully, they get the bullpen and bench in order, and the bats start coming alive. If that happens, they can stay in it for the longhaul.

spiffie
04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
There really was no option that seemed to fit me. I felt like this was a team destined to be about a .500 team this year, and so far I've seen nothing to change that. So I guess that makes me a pessimist, since I don't think they win the division or make the playoffs. I see some things I like that bode well for the future though. Floyd and Danks have looked much improved this year.

oeo
04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Where's the, "I never knew from the start," option?

doublem23
04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Where's the, "I never knew from the start," option?

This isn't a comparative stats class, take a ****ing stand!

:cool:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100481 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100481)

The poll is gold, I tell you. Gold!

SoxGirl4Life
04-30-2008, 12:53 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=100481

I like the polls better. I was never good at essay questions.

DaveIsHere
04-30-2008, 12:58 PM
For some reason I just cannot describe how I feel about this team. Nothing is standing out for me. One day the bullpen rocks and so does the hitting and the next day both go away.

The starting pitching has been solid. I just don't feel any "magic" or anything of the sort yet this year. No identity.

aryzner
04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I said I was always optimistic, even now, but it's a very skeptical optimism at this point. I need more for it to be complete optimism.

soxpride724
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
If this team ever starts to hit the ball (Not just the solo home run), I would put us up there with the best in the A.L:cool: But yes I am optimistic!

kobo
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
I was optimistic to begin the season and still am now. I like the SP, especially Danks and Floyd. The bullpen has been better, but have still had games that were reminiscent of last year. Right now my biggest concern is the hitting, especially situational hitting. And I'm pissed that for all the talk we heard about fundamentals that it appears no one on this team except Ramirez can lay down a bunt.

If the hitting comes around, and that's a big if considering the last season and a half, then this team will contend and be in the thick of the division all season.

scarsofthumper
04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
I have been and will be optimistic. I think I'd be a bit down if it wasn't for Carlos Quentin

cbotnyse
04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I was pessimistic at the start of the season, but now I am optimistic. I am surprised at the slow start the rest of the division is off to, and expect them to pick it up, but hopefully so will we.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Starting pitching has been the key to a solid start. Now if we could only hit the damn ball!

Agreed - I hope as the weather warms, so do our bats. I just pray for no 2007 rerun.

Sad
04-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Agreed - I hope as the weather warms, so do our bats. I just pray for no 2007 rerun.

NO :o:
it's not 2007!!!

yeah we gotta start hitting... been too inconsistent...

JB98
04-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Define "pessimism" and define "optimism." My opinion really hasn't changed since the start of the year.

Do I think this is a playoff team? Nope.
Do I think this is 2007 all over again? Nope.

We're decent, but we're not anything special. I came into the season figuring we'd win about half our games. So far, we're 14-12.

I'm not expecting big things. I'm not expecting disaster. I'm expecting mediocrity, and so far I'm getting it.

eriqjaffe
04-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I was pessimistic, now I'm less pessimistic.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I thought this was an 82-85 win team and they are on pace for that so nothing has changed with me.

It is still very frustrating though to see these guys struggle to hit like they have been as well as not be able to do the little things that many other teams can apparently do to win games.

The pitching stats Voodoo listed are great but I've very curious, how many of those runs allowed came with two out?

My impression is, a lot.

Lip

Sox
04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I admit it......I was a little pessimistic at the start of the season.....Unsure as to how the Sox were going to do this year. But after watching some Sox games I would say I am totally optimistic about this 2008 edition of the Chicago White Sox. I'm thinking that the Sox will make the post season.

soxfan21
04-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I was optimistic at the start, and still am to a point. I am very happy with the starting pitching, and the bullpen has not been too bad, but hasn't been very good either at certain points. Lately I have not been too happy with the run production, and we really have to move runners over. I am a little upset with Ozzie too a little bit because he does not seem to have that "fire" that he said he was going to have this season. Some of the guys seem to be just going through the motions right now, and we have to get that attitude back that we had the first week or so of the season. Other than that I am glad that we are in first and hopefully our bats will come alive soon and all will be well.

Railsplitter
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
It's not the hitting that's bothering,its th that the hits are scattered rather than bunched. Most likely, the Sox haven't had a three hit inning since Sunday.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Floyd and Danks have pitched well. The team still can't hit. I remain mildly optimistic.

Bucky F. Dent
04-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Starting pitching has been better than expected.
TCQ is better than I had ever expected.
Bats (especially those of Swisher and O.C.) need to click with greater consistency.

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 09:35 PM
We're among the league leading teams in: runs scored, team ERA and team fielding pct....and we're in 1st place despite 2/3's of ur starting line up hitting < .230. I like our chances. And because KW's moves have generally turned out, we even have a little depth in the minors to draw on in case of injury (Owens, Richar, Fields, MacDougal, Broadway, Russell).

Things we could improve on: team speed, back up catcher, manufacturing runs.

kevingrt
04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
I was 81-81 to start the season (aka indifferent) and now I am a bit more optimistic thinking we definitely have a opportunity to win this division.

Baines83
04-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Before the season began I said I would be happy if the Sox finished with 82 wins. I'm very happy with the starting pitching and defense. I think the jury is still out on our bullpen other than Jenks, Linebrink and Thornton. I'm very concerned with the hitting. We're getting enough guys on base and scoring runs with the long ball. But, we're leaving way too many men stranded. It seems like everyone is trying to be the hero and hit homeruns when a simple single or double in a close game is what we need. I like Greg Walker, but something's not right with the way our hitters approach clutch situations. I didn't think this team could possibly repeat last years sorry effort at the plate but so far they have me worried big time. So what happens if by the end of May we still aren't hitting? Is it time for Walker to go? I think we are near the top in runs scored and dead last in batting average. Talk about winning ugly!

veeter
04-30-2008, 10:21 PM
The old...if you told me before the season started we'd be 14-12 after the first month, I'd take it. Well I'm happy. I'm figuring the pitching to slip a little only to have the offense pick up the slack. A couple things must happen:
-Mark Buehrle has to take command as staff ace.
-Orlando Cabrera has to start acting like a #2 hitter and not a power hitter that pulls everything.
If we score every single run on a home run I don't care. The avg. sucks but they're 5th in runs. Combine that with very good pitching = 1st place. This team will be there in the end.

chisoxmike
05-01-2008, 01:37 AM
I was pessimistic to start, and in a way I still am. I'm encouraged to see the team playing well. There is a whole different attitude on the team that I like.

But, its only been a month. Starting pitching has been better than expected, but I still think the bullpen is weak.

They're actually worse off record wise than I though they would be at the end of April. I predicted a 17-11 April. Granted, two games have yet to be decided....

To do's for May:

Keep Owens in AAA.
Send Ramirez to AAA.
Keep Uribe at 2B.
Get some rest, a lot of traveling to do in May.

whitesoxfan
05-01-2008, 01:41 AM
I was optimistic to start the season, but I'm a little less optimistic now. I thought the hitting was going to be much improved over last year with the additions of Swisher, Cabrera, and Quentin. TCQ has done his thing, Swisher has walked a ton but hasn't hit anything, and Cabrera has been about as bad as I could have thought.

If you would've told me our team ERA would be 2nd in the AL at the end of the month, I would've said we must've had a really great month. Instead, we're only two games over .500 thanks in large part to our sporadic offense. I don't know the numbers, but that is very reminiscent of last year. Our rotation got off to a real good start, but no one was hitting. That is a little bit of a concern for me.

QCIASOXFAN
05-01-2008, 02:01 AM
I was optimistic to start the season but that is wearing off a bit as of late. Seeing that we're last in batting average again already scares me bit. The home runs and lack of being able to manufacture a run also bother me. I still don't know what to make of the bullpen. I'm glad we are doing well but we've had teams like this before and I know how the story ends.

jabrch
05-01-2008, 02:20 AM
On OD I said that if we get a lot of breaks, we can contend for this.

We have - and we are.

NADA SURF
05-01-2008, 03:37 AM
Floyd and Danks have pitched well. The team still can't hit. I remain mildly optimistic.
The main question mark coming into this season was the overall starting pitching and Danks, Contreras and Floyd have been at the very least very good...
And you'll look around on this site and everyone just loves Paulie, Dye, Thome, Swisher, Crede, Cabrera, AJ and Quentin is a lock for the Hall, yet this team can't hit?
If this supposedly strong every-day lineup would do anything close to what it's supposed to, they would win about 95 games and win the division with these pitchers emerging as they have.
With the money they've put out, this team needs to win 90 games or this season is a failure.

Bucky F. Dent
05-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I was looking over the stats with the intent of supporting my theory that we need to bench Dye, and have an outfield of BA, TCQ, and Swish. But Dye is not the problem. The reality is that the guys that really need the wake up call are the two "professional hitters" that we brought to the lineup this year, O.C. and Swish.

These guys aren't hitting their weight, and both are running at about a 50/50 clip in terms of strikeouts to walks.

They need to come around to really make this lineup click.

October26
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I am still optimistic, but now on May 1st, I realize once again how long the baseball season really is. The initial excitement of the start of the baseball season has worn off a bit. I'm always a bit bummed after we lose to the Twins (we can't ever beat them, it seems). I am hoping that after the Sox have a day off today, they wil be refreshed and start hitting again in Toronto.

palehozenychicty
05-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Define "pessimism" and define "optimism." My opinion really hasn't changed since the start of the year.

Do I think this is a playoff team? Nope.
Do I think this is 2007 all over again? Nope.

We're decent, but we're not anything special. I came into the season figuring we'd win about half our games. So far, we're 14-12.

I'm not expecting big things. I'm not expecting disaster. I'm expecting mediocrity, and so far I'm getting it.

They are, who I thought they'd be! :tongue:

russ99
05-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow, some of you guys are Sox bipolar, gleeful when the Sox are good, dark depression when the Sox look bad.

Teams go through slumps. It happens. This team looks to me like they'll weather this first slump, unlike last year's team.

May's gonna be tough since it's almost an entire month of road games. 9 home, 20 on the road, including this 4-gamer in Toronto vs. their pitching, the big West Coast swing and a 3-gamer in Cleveland. If we're above .500 or still in 1st place on June first, this team will be poised for great things.

cards press box
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
The reality is that the guys that really need the wake up call are the two "professional hitters" that we brought to the lineup this year, O.C. and Swish.

These guys aren't hitting their weight, and both are running at about a 50/50 clip in terms of strikeouts to walks.

They need to come around to really make this lineup click.

O. Cabrera and Swisher are top offensive talents. I have no doubt that they will do quite well this season.

Consider these facts: (1) Cabrera and Swisher are not off to great starts, (2) the toughest part of the Sox schedule is April and May and (3) despite ## 1 and 2, the Sox are over .500 and in 1st place. The Sox have depth in the outfield and in the bullpen and, moreover, the Sox have had an infusion of youth with Quentin, Swisher, Danks, Floyd, Masset and Wasserman. Other than Swisher (who, as I have already noted, I expect to play well), the other young players have been great.

I have every reason to be optimistic about this season.

Hitmen77
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM

The problem is that this hope cuts both ways. If the Sox offense is suffering because of the weather, then one could argue that the weather is to be credited for our pitching success so far. In other words, when the weather warms up, the opponents bats will warm up too.

To answer the poll question: At the start of the season, I was pessimistic and now I am less pessimistic/more optimistic. I'd say right now, I'm right on the fence between optimism and pessimism. Danks, Floyd, and Contreras have been successful and this was my biggest question mark/concern going into the season. This could be HUGE for the Sox chances this year. But, I'm disappointed in the offense. On paper, it should be pretty solid for us, but so far it's been giving us more of the same of what we have seen since July 2006.

I honestly don't have a sense of where the Sox are going from here. I can certainly envision our offense coming alive and our starting pitching staying sharp and the bullpen being adequate enough for us to compete for a playoff spot. But, i can just as easily see this offense continue to sputter and be erratic for most of the season and the pitching getting hit harder as the weather warms up.

spiffie
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
I thought this was an 82-85 win team and they are on pace for that so nothing has changed with me.

It is still very frustrating though to see these guys struggle to hit like they have been as well as not be able to do the little things that many other teams can apparently do to win games.

The pitching stats Voodoo listed are great but I've very curious, how many of those runs allowed came with two out?

My impression is, a lot.

Lip
58 out of 108 runs scored against Sox pitching have been scored with 2 outs.

JB98
05-01-2008, 01:28 PM
58 out of 108 runs scored against Sox pitching have been scored with 2 outs.

That seems like a lot. Any idea how that compares percentage-wise to other clubs around the league?

spiffie
05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
That seems like a lot. Any idea how that compares percentage-wise to other clubs around the league?
This isn't going to be a perfect representation, but so far this year there have been 822 no-out RBI's, 1442 1-out RBI's, and 1341 2-out RBI's in MLB.

soxfanatlanta
05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Too early to tell - I'm just glad it's not December.

Hitmen77
05-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Here is a "state of the Sox" article from Merkin on whitesox.com:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080501&content_id=2621604&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip Man 1
05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Spiffie:

Thanks for doing that. It sounds high to me also.

Lip

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Starting Pitching has exceeded my expectations (except for Buehrle, who I think will still have a great season, but is looking rustier than normal)

Bullpen is definitely upgraded over last year's squad. Doltell is the only one who constantly gives me Montezuma's Revenge.

Offense has been playing bash ball and needs to get back to playing Ozzieball. If they're not hitting it hard, they're not able to muster much up in the box score.

chisoxmike
05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Offense has been playing bash ball and needs to get back to playing Ozzieball. If they're not hitting it hard, they're not able to muster much up in the box score.

I don't think we'll ever seen the Sox play "Ozzieball" ever again.

rdwj
05-01-2008, 08:29 PM
I thought we had a decent shot to compete for the division before the season started and now I'm sure of it. What else can you ask for?

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I thought we had a decent shot to compete for the division before the season started and now I'm sure of it. What else can you ask for?

Another World Series title for the South Siders...That's what! :smile:

I know...greedy Heather!

Vernam
05-01-2008, 08:38 PM
This isn't going to be a perfect representation, but so far this year there have been 822 no-out RBI's, 1442 1-out RBI's, and 1341 2-out RBI's in MLB.That's surprising at first, but on second thought, there are bound to be more baserunners with two outs than with none. That's just because, at that stage of an inning, more batters have come to the plate. Most of the guys batting with no outs have no one on base.

Vernam

Railsplitter
05-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Lucky for us, the A.L. Central is a mess. If the Sox can get thier act together before everybody else, they can take the division.

MCHSoxFan
05-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Wow, some of you guys are Sox bipolar, gleeful when the Sox are good, dark depression when the Sox look bad.

Teams go through slumps. It happens. This team looks to me like they'll weather this first slump, unlike last year's team.

May's gonna be tough since it's almost an entire month of road games. 9 home, 20 on the road, including this 4-gamer in Toronto vs. their pitching, the big West Coast swing and a 3-gamer in Cleveland. If we're above .500 or still in 1st place on June first, this team will be poised for great things.

WOW! I JUST SAID THAT TO MY GRANDMA RIGHT BEFORE READING THIS POST!!!

Really, I think this team will go far and if we do good in May, June-September feel like a breeze. GO WHITE SOX!

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Lucky for us, the A.L. Central is a mess. If the Sox can get thier act together before everybody else, they can take the division.

I think the term is evenly distributed. Aside from our dominance of Detroit, I truly think everyone's gonna end up beating up on each other. The season series are going to be pretty close, so whomever does the best in non-divisional games is going to end up winning the division.

MCHSoxFan
05-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I think the term is evenly distributed. Aside from our dominance of Detroit, I truly think everyone's gonna end up beating up on each other. The season series are going to be pretty close, so whomever does the best in non-divisional games is going to end up winning the division.

IMO, that is where we have actually be doing better.

sox1970
05-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Hope so. Now that the Sox have started 5-1 against Detroit, hopefully they can go 12-6 for the season. Hopefully the can go 42-30 in the division; 42-30 against the AL E/W; and 10-8 against the NL. 94 wins should do it.

doublem23
05-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Starting Pitching has exceeded my expectations (except for Buehrle, who I think will still have a great season, but is looking rustier than normal)

Buehrle's been pretty decent, save for Opening Day when he did look a bit rusty. Since then he's thrown 27 innings in 4 starts and has a 3.67 ERA in those starts.

I think he'll be OK.

NADA SURF
05-01-2008, 10:37 PM

The way I saw the early part of this season, is the Sox came out and showed they can be a really good club this year, especially since the younger lower-end starters have proven to be not only good, but perhaps our best pitchers (Danks and Floyd.)...
The Sox are going to need every break they can get this year to hold off Cle and Det and they were handed one early with the terrific pitching. Instead of being 14-11, they should be at least 18-7 with just a little bit of clutch hitting...
I'm steaming that they signed Dye and I'm not happy they kept Konerko around, either. They could have had a much better lineup without those two guys.