:whocares

WizardsofOzzie
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
:whocares
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6912/icaregu6.gif

Only because it's funny :tongue:

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
According to Fukudome...the message in Japanese letters actually says "It's an accident" not "It's gonna happen". :cool:

thomas35forever
04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
SI may have just jinxed not only the Cubs, but Japanese players in general.

PatK
04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
"It's gonna happen" was their slogan last year.

It didn't happen.

soxpride724
04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks SI.:)

DumpJerry
04-30-2008, 01:35 PM
1. Sox fans don't believe in curses and jinxes are curses.
2. Michael Jordan was on the SI cover over 40 times. Did not hurt him too much.

skottyj242
04-30-2008, 01:41 PM
It's Time.

doublem23
04-30-2008, 02:04 PM
2. Michael Jordan was on the SI cover over 40 times. Did not hurt him too much.

You must have missed his time with the Wizards... Or in the executive's room.

TDog
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
I looked at how Fukudome is doing. He has 1 home run and 9 RBIs this season. He had 1 home run and 3 RBIs on opening day. Brian Anderson had 3 RBIs against Baltimore last weekend, half the total Fukudome has had since the second game of the season, over a span where neither has hit a home run.

But the Cubs and Sports Illustrated are all about hype.

lukeman89
04-30-2008, 02:40 PM
I looked at how Fukudome is doing. He has 1 home run and 9 RBIs this season. He had 1 home run and 3 RBIs on opening day. Brian Anderson had 3 RBIs against Baltimore last weekend, half the total Fukudome has had since the second game of the season, over a span where neither has hit a home run.

i guess those are the only two stats in baseball

TDog
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
i guess those are the only two stats in baseball

There are lots of stats in baseball. A lot of them don't mean much. The hype around Fukudome is based on his opening day game-tying home run, and he hasn't done much since. His batting average has been in steady decline since the first week of the season, and it's dropped to under .320.

chisoxfanatic
04-30-2008, 07:14 PM
That's foreshadowing another hopeless century for the Northsiders! :D:

turners56
04-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, now I don't have to worry about the Cubs winning the World Series this year. I'm ready for their choke job, but when is it gonna be? Late September or early October? I'm hoping early August, but it might not happen.

And umm, what's with all the Fukudome love from the national media? He's not Ichiro or Hideki Matsui good. The guy has one home run and 9 RBIs, he's only a contributer to that "monster" Cubs lineup.

getonbckthr
04-30-2008, 07:28 PM
http://i.timeinc.net/subs2/images/si/sistore/products/1986/0120_mid.jpg

kittle42
04-30-2008, 07:28 PM
It's Time.

When you come to our park, you better Come Ready to Play.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 07:30 PM
There are lots of stats in baseball. A lot of them don't mean much. The hype around Fukudome is based on his opening day game-tying home run, and he hasn't done much since. His batting average has been in steady decline since the first week of the season, and it's dropped to under .320.

GMAB. If he was on the Sox, people here would be citing his OBP and ability to take pitches and above-average defense and telling us that he's HOF bound.

It's Dankerific
04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
GMAB. If he was on the Sox, people here would be citing his OBP and ability to take pitches and above-average defense and telling us that he's HOF bound.

Naw, the HOF in waiting is only bestowed on single A pitchers.

TheOldRoman
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
2. Michael Jordan was on the SI cover over 40 times. Did not hurt him too much.I don't think anyone is saying this is a curse or jinx. I think it is funny because the Cubs aren't that good. SI didn't "learn their lesson" because they took a mediocre team that got hot for two weeks in 03 and crowned their asses in spring training of 04. The Cubs are worse on paper than the 04 team, and the National League is much better.

Other than showing off their hilariously bad prognosticating, this is put out there because Cubs fans will buy it in droves just to have a copy of something with "Cubs" and "world champions" in the same sentence.

oeo
04-30-2008, 09:54 PM
And umm, what's with all the Fukudome love from the national media? He's not Ichiro or Hideki Matsui good. The guy has one home run and 9 RBIs, he's only a contributer to that "monster" Cubs lineup.

Wait...Fukudome isn't going to hit 30 HR's a year?

He's really fallen off the map of late.

kjhanson
05-01-2008, 10:32 AM
You must have missed his time with the Wizards... Or in the executive's room.

Right, because everyone's forgotten about the six titles, five MVP awards, the All-Star selections, and the other countless awards. Oh yeah, not to mention the billion dollar business his likeness is covered in. Or the fact that his overall impact on the economy in the last 20+ years is over $20 billion. All anyone will ever remember are his sub-par days ruining two once-proud franchises. Am I the only one who thinks the Wizards and Bobcats would have won multiple titles by now without M.J.?

A. Cavatica
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Right, because everyone's forgotten about the six titles, five MVP awards, the All-Star selections, and the other countless awards. Oh yeah, not to mention the billion dollar business his likeness is covered in. Or the fact that his overall impact on the economy in the last 20+ years is over $20 billion. All anyone will ever remember are his sub-par days ruining two once-proud franchises. Am I the only one who thinks the Wizards and Bobcats would have won multiple titles by now without M.J.?

Who's to say he wouldn't have done even better without appearing on the SI cover? :redneck

UofCSoxFan
05-01-2008, 11:09 AM

I think I'd rather have Fukudome.:rolleyes:

doublem23
05-01-2008, 11:32 AM

MJ was a hero for me as a kid, but come on... MJ right now is Isiah Lite (great player, grossly inept executive, just not in the media capital of the world).

DumpJerry
05-01-2008, 12:02 PM
http://i.timeinc.net/subs2/images/si/sistore/products/1986/0120_mid.jpg
That cover jinxed them.

They gave up 10 points to the Pats after shutting down the Giants and Rams.

TDog
05-01-2008, 03:40 PM

Sure you would. I'd rather have Dick Allen, if the 1972 vintage had been bottled (metaphorically) to be savored in 2008. He produced a heck of a lot more, and the White Sox still didn't win.

Chicago baseball, most baseball for that matter, isn't about winning the World Series but about enjoying (and cursing) the players year after year. Fukudome's production may be strong, but it isn't worth the sort of worship he is receiving. Paul Konerko only scored about two-thirds the runs Fukudome has, but he has almost double the RBIs and has a higher batting average with runners in scoring position.

kittle42
05-01-2008, 04:54 PM
He's 4-for-4 today and hitting .353, but let's slam him because he's not driving in runs with Lee and Ramirez in front of him to do it instead.

cleanwsox
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Balsa looks like he's gonna blow it.

Such a shame...

turners56
05-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Fukudome is a good player, he has a great arm and can get on base. Problem is though, many people around the country claim him as a power hitter. To be totally honest, he would fit better as a second place hitter (he makes a lot of contact) or at most a 3rd place hitter. He doesn't have enough power to be given the title he has. He might be able to hit 10-15 homers, 20 if he's lucky. Basically, he's like Bobby Abreu minus 5 home runs.

TDog
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
He's 4-for-4 today and hitting .353, but let's slam him because he's not driving in runs with Lee and Ramirez in front of him to do it instead.

How many RBIs does he have? How many runs did he score. I can't be bothered to look it up, but you didn't mention any. If he hasn't come up with any runners in scoring position and no one drives him in, his batting average and on-base percentage are wasted. If he's hitting .400 on May 1 and has only 1 home run and 10 RBIs, it's a soft .400.

If you scoff at that, let me put it this way. He is hardly carrying the team, as the Sports Illustrated cover and current worship implies.

I don't get excited by stats. I have never gotten excited about on-base percentage of anyone on the White Sox. I get excited by production and winning baseball. I would be more impressed if he went 2 for 4 and drove in 3 runs and scored twice. But I grew up caring only that the White Sox won, not how players performed for my fantasy team.

I'm not saying I would rather have Anderson than Fukudome. The White Sox might even be a better team if they had Fukudome leading off instead of Swisher. I've never given it any thought. I'm saying that in the measures that generate excitement, Anderson wasn't that less impressive after opening day. Rather, you can go to the White Sox bench and find someone who has done a better job of producing runs of late.

Iwritecode
05-01-2008, 05:21 PM
How many RBIs does he have? How many runs did he score. I can't be bothered to look it up, but you didn't mention any. If he hasn't come up with any runners in scoring position and no one drives him in, his batting average and on-base percentage are wasted. If he's hitting .400 on May 1 and has only 1 home run and 10 RBIs, it's a soft .400.

If you scoff at that, let me put it this way. He is hardly carrying the team, as the Sports Illustrated cover and current worship implies.

I don't get excited by stats. I have never gotten excited about on-base percentage of anyone on the White Sox. I get excited by production and winning baseball. I would be more impressed if he went 2 for 4 and drove in 3 runs and scored twice. But I grew up caring only that the White Sox won, not how players performed for my fantasy team.

I'm not saying I would rather have Anderson than Fukudome. The White Sox might even be a better team if they had Fukudome leading off instead of Swisher. I've never given it any thought. I'm saying that in the measures that generate excitement, Anderson wasn't that less impressive after opening day. Rather, you can go to the White Sox bench and find someone who has done a better job of producing runs of late.

RBIs and runs scored are a horrible way to judge a player. They are too dependent on the player's teammates.

kittle42
05-01-2008, 05:26 PM

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=493120&statType=1&splitSet=2&c_id=mlb&sitSplit1=rsp

Still pretty impressive with men on base, no?

TDog
05-01-2008, 05:30 PM
RBIs and runs scored are a horrible way to judge a player. They are too dependent on the player's teammates.

That applies if you're scouting. But those numbers are usually are the stats people look at when they pick MVPs. They also speak to winning baseball. If the Cubs won today and Fukudome went 4-for-4 with no RBIs and no runs scored, his contribution must have been minimal.

Maybe Derek Lee is more worthy of the Sports Illustrated cover.

TDog
05-01-2008, 05:31 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?playerID=493120&statType=1&splitSet=2&c_id=mlb&sitSplit1=rsp

Still pretty impressive with men on base, no?

Strangely enough, Paul Konerko is hitting better with runners in scoring position, and a lot of people here want to run Konerko out of town.

alohafri
05-01-2008, 08:44 PM

To paraphrase Cosmo Kramer, "but cub fans do, and they are the ones who are being jinxed."

Iwritecode
05-02-2008, 10:54 AM
That applies if you're scouting. But those numbers are usually are the stats people look at when they pick MVPs. They also speak to winning baseball. If the Cubs won today and Fukudome went 4-for-4 with no RBIs and no runs scored, his contribution must have been minimal.

Maybe Derek Lee is more worthy of the Sports Illustrated cover.

FWIW, here's how Fukudome's day went:

Led off the second with a hit.
Next 3 guys make outs.

Came up in the 4th with 1 out and nobody on and singled.
next 2 guys make outs.

In the sixth he came up with runners on first and second and 1 out. Got an infield single.
Next guy got a sac fly.
Next guy doubles but Fukudome is thrown out on a close play at the plate.

In the eighth he came up with 2 outs and nobody on. Gets a single and then gets picked off first.

Then Kerry Wood came in and blew the save.

So exactly how is it Fukudome's fault that he didn't have any RBIs or runs scored in this game?

kittle42
05-02-2008, 10:55 AM
So exactly how is it Fukudome's fault that he didn't have any RBIs or runs scored in this game?

Shhh!!!! Don't let the facts get in the way of blind Cubbie hatred.

turners56
05-02-2008, 11:03 AM
The truth is, the 5th spot sucks for getting RBIs (according to the situations on the White Sox and Cubs). Both Dye and Fukudome are getting robbed of RBIs even though they're getting hits.

turners56
05-02-2008, 11:04 AM

So that's saying the Cubs suck, because they can't drive in Fukudome.

kittle42
05-02-2008, 11:44 AM
So that's saying the Cubs suck, because they can't drive in Fukudome.

That, I'm fine with!

TDog
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM

This isn't a question of blind Cubs hatred. I didn't even know the Cubs lost yesterday until I came this morning to WSI and saw the excitement. Some of you people seem to live for that stuff. I didn't even say the Cubs would lose because of Fukudome. Before posting this morning I read about his day The time he came up with a runner in scoring position, his single was didn't leave the infield and didn't drive in the run. He threw out a runner at the plate and was thrown out at the plate the only time anyone got a hit behind him. There is an account that he took a bad route to the ball that ended up being the game-winning double. Even if the last statement is true, he would have to be placed down the list on people to blame for the loss.

My point that I can't get excited about a player just because he gets on base, even if he gets on base half the time. Getting on base doesn't mean anything if the people behind him don't drive him in. Driving in runs excites me more than getting on base. A fifth-place hitter in a game where a run means something should hit a sacrifice fly with a runner on third before coaxing a walk with first base open. (Sacrifice flies don't count against your batting average, but do count against your on-base percentage.) RBI guys aren't always sluggers, but they are the players who carry teams.

I heard an audio tape of the late Jean Shepherd talking about how difficult it was to be a White Sox fan. He was talking about one year when they were so bad that Luke Appling hit .388 and only had 37 RBIs. Funny stuff, but it wasn't true. I looked it up, and the year Appling hit .388 and had an on-base percentage of .474 (the latter of which didn't lead the league -- Lou Gehrig's was .478), he drove in 128 runs and scored 111 runs despite hitting only six home runs. Jean Shepherd got laughs, but it simply shouldn't be possible for a player not to drive in runs if he plays a season hitting over .350. And Appling's batting average would, no doubt be higher under today's rules. Players were charged with a time at bat for run scoring fly balls in 1936 (as they should be today), but I don't know if the sacrifice fly rule would have pushed Appling over .400. Appling would have had to have driven in 16 runners from third with fly balls to have hit .400 under today's scoring rules. Of course, Ted Williams would have hit .411 in 1941 had there been a sacrifice fly rule in place.

Fukudome is on pace for 60 RBIs, which wouldn't be so bad if he were a leadoff man. Jermaine Dye as a fifth place hitter isn't driving in runs either, driving them in at about the same pace as Fukudome, but I'm not arguing he would be a better player to be pictured on the cover of Sports Illustrated to represent a first-place Chicago baseball team. Neither Fukudome nor Dye come close to being team MVPs.

My argument is fundamental to what is important for a baseball team. Wins are important, not batting averages, especially soft batting averages, which is what .353 with six home runs and 60 RBIs would be. Among players, production impresses me. Production for a fifth-place hitter is primarily RBIs. Harold Baines belongs in the Hall of Fame because he drove in runs consistently during his career, not because he otherwise filled a stat sheet and finished a partial season away from 3,000 hits.

I could re-evaluate what I posted earlier, however. Had the Cubs won Thursday, Fukudome would have contributed to the win defensively because the threw out a runner at the plate. However, going 4-for4 didn't contribute to his team's hypothetical win. It only made fantasy baseball geeks wet themselves.

Iwritecode
05-02-2008, 02:49 PM
This isn't a question of blind Cubs hatred. I didn't even know the Cubs lost yesterday until I came this morning to WSI and saw the excitement. Some of you people seem to live for that stuff. I didn't even say the Cubs would lose because of Fukudome. Before posting this morning I read about his day The time he came up with a runner in scoring position, his single was didn't leave the infield and didn't drive in the run. He threw out a runner at the plate and was thrown out at the plate the only time anyone got a hit behind him. There is an account that he took a bad route to the ball that ended up being the game-winning double. Even if the last statement is true, he would have to be placed down the list on people to blame for the loss.

My point that I can't get excited about a player just because he gets on base, even if he gets on base half the time. Getting on base doesn't mean anything if the people behind him don't drive him in. Driving in runs excites me more than getting on base. A fifth-place hitter in a game where a run means something should hit a sacrifice fly with a runner on third before coaxing a walk with first base open. (Sacrifice flies don't count against your batting average, but do count against your on-base percentage.) RBI guys aren't always sluggers, but they are the players who carry teams.

I heard an audio tape of the late Jean Shepherd talking about how difficult it was to be a White Sox fan. He was talking about one year when they were so bad that Luke Appling hit .388 and only had 37 RBIs. Funny stuff, but it wasn't true. I looked it up, and the year Appling hit .388 and had an on-base percentage of .474 (the latter of which didn't lead the league -- Lou Gehrig's was .478), he drove in 128 runs and scored 111 runs despite hitting only six home runs. Jean Shepherd got laughs, but it simply shouldn't be possible for a player not to drive in runs if he plays a season hitting over .350. And Appling's batting average would, no doubt be higher under today's rules. Players were charged with a time at bat for run scoring fly balls in 1936 (as they should be today), but I don't know if the sacrifice fly rule would have pushed Appling over .400. Appling would have had to have driven in 16 runners from third with fly balls to have hit .400 under today's scoring rules. Of course, Ted Williams would have hit .411 in 1941 had there been a sacrifice fly rule in place.

Fukudome is on pace for 60 RBIs, which wouldn't be so bad if he were a leadoff man. Jermaine Dye as a fifth place hitter isn't driving in runs either, driving them in at about the same pace as Fukudome, but I'm not arguing he would be a better player to be pictured on the cover of Sports Illustrated to represent a first-place Chicago baseball team. Neither Fukudome nor Dye come close to being team MVPs.

My argument is fundamental to what is important for a baseball team. Wins are important, not batting averages, especially soft batting averages, which is what .353 with six home runs and 60 RBIs would be. Among players, production impresses me. Production for a fifth-place hitter is primarily RBIs. Harold Baines belongs in the Hall of Fame because he drove in runs consistently during his career, not because he otherwise filled a stat sheet and finished a partial season away from 3,000 hits.

I could re-evaluate what I posted earlier, however. Had the Cubs won Thursday, Fukudome would have contributed to the win defensively because the threw out a runner at the plate. However, going 4-for4 didn't contribute to his team's hypothetical win. It only made fantasy baseball geeks wet themselves.

I'm still :scratch: on how you can make an arguement that if a guy goes 4-4 in a game that his team wins but doesn't have any RBI's or any runs scored he didn't contribute to the win.

If a guy goes 4-4 in any game win or lose, he did his job IMO. It's the fault of his teammates for not getting on base ahead of him or driving him in.

TDog
05-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm still :scratch: on how you can make an arguement that if a guy goes 4-4 in a game that his team wins but doesn't have any RBI's or any runs scored he didn't contribute to the win.

If a guy goes 4-4 in any game win or lose, he did his job IMO. It's the fault of his teammates for not getting on base ahead of him or driving him in.

This is baseball. Just because you do your job doesn't mean you are in a position to contribute to your team's win. I never posted it was Fukudome's fault that he isn't more of a contributor to his team's success. But as a fifth-place hitter hitting well over .300, he should have more than 10 RBIs one-sixth of the way through the season. As I read about the game, I saw that it would have been a different game indeed if Fukudome had not been thrown out at the plate. But that's not the point.

Last week, when Toby Hall got a leadoff single in the ninth with the Sox five runs down, someone posted in the game thread that his second hit of the day was "a meaningless hit." I posted that a leadoff single is never meaningless, because there is always room for hope. As it turned out, it sparked a one-run rally as the Sox left the bases loaded and lost 5-1. Most people around here considered Hall's 2-for-3 day meaningless. Anyone who considers Fukudome to be the Cubs MVP of yesterday's Cubs loss or even a major part of the offense because he went 4-for-4 isn't looking at the reality that he didn't contribute to the run total, except perhaps in an indirect and minor way. He contributed to the hits total, but I see teams get outhit and still lose.

Baseball is about scoring more runs than the other team. I'm having a hard time figuring out how anyone can believe a player contributed mightily to the offense when he didn't drive in any runs, didn't score and was thrown out at the plate attempting to score.

jonred
05-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Something has caused the Cubs to go from being a free-swinging HR or bust team that historically is among the most impatient in the game into a team that currently leads the majors in OBP and is third in walks. The only real difference from last season is Fukudome, who is currently 3rd in baseball in OBP. I think some of his patience at the plate is rubbing off on the rest of the team. That to me, is much more important than another HR/RBI guy (they have Lee, Ramirez and Soriano for that). The same can be said for Swisher.

Iwritecode
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
This is baseball. Just because you do your job doesn't mean you are in a position to contribute to your team's win. I never posted it was Fukudome's fault that he isn't more of a contributor to his team's success. But as a fifth-place hitter hitting well over .300, he should have more than 10 RBIs one-sixth of the way through the season. As I read about the game, I saw that it would have been a different game indeed if Fukudome had not been thrown out at the plate. But that's not the point.

Last week, when Toby Hall got a leadoff single in the ninth with the Sox five runs down, someone posted in the game thread that his second hit of the day was "a meaningless hit." I posted that a leadoff single is never meaningless, because there is always room for hope. As it turned out, it sparked a one-run rally as the Sox left the bases loaded and lost 5-1. Most people around here considered Hall's 2-for-3 day meaningless. Anyone who considers Fukudome to be the Cubs MVP of yesterday's Cubs loss or even a major part of the offense because he went 4-for-4 isn't looking at the reality that he didn't contribute to the run total, except perhaps in an indirect and minor way. He contributed to the hits total, but I see teams get outhit and still lose.

Baseball is about scoring more runs than the other team. I'm having a hard time figuring out how anyone can believe a player contributed mightily to the offense when he didn't drive in any runs, didn't score and was thrown out at the plate attempting to score.

When he comes up with RISP he's batting over .300 with an obp over .500. So over half the time he's at least extending the inning w/RISP. You can't ask for much more than that.

It's not his fault that the majority of his AB's are coming with the bases empty. Which is truely amazing considering the Cubs lead the league in AVG and OPB.

TDog
05-02-2008, 05:24 PM
When he comes up with RISP he's batting over .300 with an obp over .500. So over half the time he's at least extending the inning w/RISP. You can't ask for much more than that.

It's not his fault that the majority of his AB's are coming with the bases empty. Which is truely amazing considering the Cubs lead the league in AVG and OPB.

Again, I didn't say it was his fault that he isn't producing in the areas that MVPs produce.