PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Else Hate Listening To Hawk & DJ

nevr say dye sox
04-30-2008, 08:25 AM
I don't know what has made it so bad for me this year, but I am having a really hard time listening to Hawk and DJ's announce the game this year. Last night Hawk was talking about a time he played golf with Gary Player in 1971. To be quite honest Hawk's stories suck as well as DJ's. I think its time for a change in the booth to get somebody who will streamline Hawk into talking about things that actually matter, and not about his career or trying to compare current players with players that played in the 50's, 60's, or 70's. At least once a game he will be like, "this guy reminds me of so and so" Anybody else understand what I'm saying?

Uncle_Patrick
04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
I really only get annoyed with Hawk when he is either making excuses for the Sox when they aren't getting the job done or when he starts ranting about (and thus bring unneeded attention to) a certain sportswriter in town.

I don't mind Hawk's stories and DJ never bothered me.

skottyj242
04-30-2008, 08:46 AM
I love listening to them.

gamblinkenny
04-30-2008, 08:59 AM
No, I love listening to them. That is the great thing about our country, you have the option to not listen, hence the mute button.

Blueprint1
04-30-2008, 09:01 AM
It is all starting to get a little old. When the outfielder is camped under the ball and Hawk is yelling, "stretch." When we are getting schooled by a no name and he is talking about what, "great stuff" the guy has. When we keep, "just missing it" according to hawk.

doublem23
04-30-2008, 09:06 AM
I've never had a problem with Hawk or DJ, but the radio team right now is very good. Steve Stone is a great baseball mind and he makes the radio duo just as good as it was when Farmer was paired with Rooney, so I try to mute the games and turn up the radio when I can.

roadrunner
04-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I used to enjoy listening to them but now the schtick is getting repetitive, old, lame and basically boring. I would have the radio on if it weren't for the delay. The broadcast reeks of irony. They talk about how great and complex the game of baseball is yet Hawk uses the same 20 phrases or so to describe everything that happens during the game.

soxfan13
04-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I used to enjoy listening to them but now the schtick is getting repetitive, old, lame and basically boring. I would have the radio on if it weren't for the delay. The broadcast reeks of irony. They talk about how great and complex the game of baseball is yet Hawk uses the same 20 phrases or so to describe everything that happens during the game.

Agreed. I did like to listen to them but Hawk has really chased me away. There is a thing as becoming to much of a homer and he has become it. Yes I now think he is as bad as Santo. I do think it would be funny , though, to put him and Santo in the booth together for one of the crosstown games.:redneck

jdm2662
04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
I like listening to Hawk and DJ.

With the mute button on. :redneck

I've made my opinion known in the WTS thread about Stone and Hawk. No need to get into it again. The day Hawk steps down from the booth will be a great day for this Sox fan.

jdm2662
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Agreed. I did like to listen to them but Hawk has really chased me away. There is a thing as becoming to much of a homer and he has become it. Yes I now think he is as bad as Santo. I do think it would be funny , though, to put him and Santo in the booth together for one of the crosstown games.:redneck

Santo and Hawk in the same both. :o:

Talk about a broadcast from hell! You will be begging for Buck and McCarver after that. :redneck

turners56
04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
DJ is a total idiot, he's worse than Chris Singleton when it comes to his 3 innings of play-by-play. I enjoy listening to Hawk and his rants, it's quite funny when he does it. Plus, the excitement he brings when the Sox walk-off or somebody gets a big home run is fun to listen to. His calls fit the mood Sox fans are in, you know? I totally understand how fans of other teams absolutely despise Hawk though. I think Hawk is the A.J. Pierzynski of sports broadcasting. Hated by others, loved by those who are on his side.

GBORN
04-30-2008, 09:45 AM
I think we have all learned a lot from Hawk, just check the thread. I like him, some of his schtick is repetitive, but that is what makes his broadcast humorous and fun. I wonder if he realizes we've heard his stories every game? Anyway, I like him. :smile:

cws05champ
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Try listening to Ron Coomer on the Twinks broadcast last night, filling in for Blyleven. Absolutly brutal....did not know what he was talking about 1/2 the time, and he was giggling the other half.

Hawk is OK, just OK. Yeah, his schtick gets a little old sometimes but I still think he has a great knowledge of the game.

ondafarm
04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Never been a huge fan of Hawk and anybody. I absolutely love listening to Stone and Farmer on the radio however.

Jollyroger2
04-30-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't know what has made it so bad for me this year, but I am having a really hard time listening to Hawk and DJ's announce the game this year. Last night Hawk was talking about a time he played golf with Gary Player in 1971. To be quite honest Hawk's stories suck as well as DJ's. I think its time for a change in the booth to get somebody who will streamline Hawk into talking about things that actually matter, and not about his career or trying to compare current players with players that played in the 50's, 60's, or 70's. At least once a game he will be like, "this guy reminds me of so and so" Anybody else understand what I'm saying?

I understand. I'm not a big fan of either. Hawk is tolerable sometimes but DJ is really annoying and that silly grin he's always got on looks way too goofy. That being said, since I have the MLB cable package and sometimes get other announcers, I will say they aren't the worst...but they're down near the bottom. A couple of those broadcast teams (notably the Royals and Angels, unless they've changed people for this season) are so dry and boring it makes me want to jab a sharpened pencil into my own eye just to make things more interesting.

I love the radio team though, I have XM radio and can get the Sox broadcast most of the time.

soxfan13
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
I think we have all learned a lot from Hawk, just check the thread. I like him, some of his schtick is repetitive, but that is what makes his broadcast humorous and fun. I wonder if he realizes we've heard his stories every game? Anyway, I like him. :smile:

Like yelling stretch for any ball hit in the air?That is beyond repetitive, its just plain stupid. Especially if I have the game on in one room and am working in another room. I hear Hawk yell stretch and run in to see the shortstop catch a pop up.

oeo
04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
It is all starting to get a little old. When the outfielder is camped under the ball and Hawk is yelling, "stretch." When we are getting schooled by a no name and he is talking about what, "great stuff" the guy has. When we keep, "just missing it" according to hawk.

Correction: Hawk is getting a little old. We're going to have to stick it out, as things will probably only get worse from here. I highly doubt the Sox have the cajones to fire him (and they really shouldn't...maybe he's not the best, but unless he does something wrong, he should be here as long as he wants).

I didn't watch the Sox much in the 90's (so I have no idea what he was like with Wimpy), but it seems as if it's been the last couple of years that things have started going downhill. Maybe I just enjoyed them more, but I think Hawk is really starting to show his age.

I can handle pretty much anything Hawk throws at us, except the pissing and moaning when things aren't going our way. Believe me, I'm pissing and moaning too, but it really puts me over the edge when Hawk is doing the same crap over the air. If they're winning...all is fine.

KingXerxes
04-30-2008, 10:15 AM
I think my position on Ken Harrelson has been made pretty clear over the years - so I won't waste anybody's time with further commentary.

:DJ

"I don't have room to breath up here...........help!"

Carolina Kenny
04-30-2008, 11:12 AM

I thought he said Gary Peters (ex-Sox lefty supreme) and not Gary Player.

Baseball is all about history, a lesson you will learn when you grow up one day.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
The next WSI interview, which George already has, is with a member of the Chicago media and they talk about Hawk.

Lip

nevr say dye sox
04-30-2008, 12:59 PM
No Carolina Kenny he did say Gary Player and he was trying to draw a comparison between a play on the field and a time back in 1971 when he played golf with Gary Player. He went to discuss how after a round of golf Gary asked him what he was thinking about as he hit the ball and he said his mechanics and then he realized he was pressing. I was like what are you takling about, and who cares. Then DJ was like oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense...They just talk about nothing and I think their whole broadcast if very unprofessional. They make Sox games really dry and boring to watch, especially after the Sox play as they did last night. A three hour game feel like 5 hours after listening to these two!

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
No Carolina Kenny he did say Gary Player and he was trying to draw a comparison between a play on the field and a time back in 1971 when he played golf with Gary Player. He went to discuss how after a round of golf Gary asked him what he was thinking about as he hit the ball and he said his mechanics and then he realized he was pressing. I was like what are you takling about, and who cares. Then DJ was like oh yeah, that makes a lot of sense...They just talk about nothing and I think their whole broadcast if very unprofessional. They make Sox games really dry and boring to watch, especially after the Sox play as they did last night. A three hour game feel like 5 hours after listening to these two!Get the Extra Innings package and watch other games and listen to their announcers. Then tell me about dry and boring.

veeter
04-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes

Chicken Dinner
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
DJ could suck the life out of a corpse.

JB98
04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm tired of Hawk's complaints about the umpires. He makes it sound like we would be 26-0 if those damn umps would just stop screwing us.

pudge
04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Get the Extra Innings package and watch other games and listen to their announcers. Then tell me about dry and boring.

Exactly- you guys have no idea, I would say 90% of broadcast teams across the MLB are pretty dang dull. I've always been greatful to have Hawk, but I admit it's wearing on me this season. Much like Paulie's head-drop, or AJ's frustrated bat flip, or Uribe swinging at crap.

CRAW
04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I keep forgetting we're all experts to things White Sox. Dang.

:rolleyes:

comet2k
04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
If you listen to anyone who talks about the same subject this long, it's bound to get repetitious and boring. Ask anyone who's been married for 20 years! :D:
Teaming Steve Stone with Hawk would be a good change. Stone has meshed well with Farmer and probably could do the same with Hawk. But I agree with nellie: Listen to some of the others, and then be thankful for what we have.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2008, 04:43 PM
I have a friend who moved here from New York (Yankee fan) and he constantly told me about how he liked Hawk and DJ.

Yeah Hawk repeats his stories but that's bound to happen when you hear him as many times as we do.

I like Hawk and hope that someday he can get into the HOF as an announcer. Like him or not his voice is associated with White Sox baseball.

jenn2080
04-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Get the Extra Innings package and watch other games and listen to their announcers. Then tell me about dry and boring.

No ****!

I have no problems with Hawk and DJ.

DickAllen72
04-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Time for Hawk to retire. His stories are stale and repetitive, like listening to a senile old man repeating his old war stories for the umpteenth time.

And he can't see anymore-- the other day on a 2-2 count Crede fouled off a pitch and Hawk excitedly proclaimes "Ball Three!!!" Then a fter a few seconds he asked DJ, "Did he foul that off?" to which DJ replied "Sure did."

He can't judge a fly ball anymore, and he whines about every little thing.

Time for Hawk to hang 'em up.

skobabe8
04-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I absolutely HATE when DJ asked Hawk if "____ ever happened to you when you played?". He asks at least once a game and its always the smallest, most idiotic observation. :cuss:

shingo10
04-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Ok, We get it. A lot of you can't stand Hawk and his stories, catchprases, ect. And a lot of you can't stand DJ doing play-by-play, talking about Japan, ect.

Well, I for one can't stand how this becomes an issue every couple of days. One thing you can't deny is that they know about our team and about the game. If you don't like it, listen to the radio. If you don't like the radio watch the game with no sound. But there's no point to continually bash all the announcers. Just don't listen to them and quit complaining.

Here's to 3 more years of the Hawk. YES!

The Critic
04-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Hmmm.
Nope, still gonna complain.
Thanks for the option, though.

chisoxfanatic
04-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Amen! They are the biggest homers in the business, and I appreciate them just for that reason.

All hail Hawk & DJ!

fquaye149
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
I enjoy listening to Hawk as long as he isn't pouting.

I don't even mind it when he makes excuses or blames the umpire, as long as he doesn't do his whining + extended silence thing.

Sox
04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Ok, We get it. A lot of you can't stand Hawk and his stories, catchprases, ect. And a lot of you can't stand DJ doing play-by-play, talking about Japan, ect.

Well, I for one can't stand how this becomes an issue every couple of days. One thing you can't deny is that they know about our team and about the game. If you don't like it, listen to the radio. If you don't like the radio watch the game with no sound. But there's no point to continually bash all the announcers. Just don't listen to them and quit complaining.

Put it on the board........Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue:

ws05champs
04-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I have no problem listening to Hawk and DJ anymore. I just turn down the volume on the TV and turn on the radio. If I didn't have that option,
I would probably prefer setting my hair on fire and putting it out with an ice pick, as opposed to listening to Hawk and DJ.

Railsplitter
04-30-2008, 07:04 PM
This Hawk's eighteenth straight year in the Sox TV booth and his schtick is wearing thin. Dare I say he's starting to be more Turkey that Hawk.

regionsox73
04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Time for Hawk to retire. His stories are stale and repetitive, like listening to a senile old man repeating his old war stories for the umpteenth time.

And he can't see anymore-- the other day on a 2-2 count Crede fouled off a pitch and Hawk excitedly proclaimes "Ball Three!!!" Then a fter a few seconds he asked DJ, "Did he foul that off?" to which DJ replied "Sure did."

He can't judge a fly ball anymore, and he whines about every little thing.

Time for Hawk to hang 'em up.

On at least 3 occassions so far he has started screaming "Stretch!" to a ball that doesn't hit the warning track. Or he does it as it hits in the seats. I also remember him screaming "Get foul!" in the Yankees series on a ball that hit about 15 feet inside the line.

Ripping the umpires gets stale. Don't hate the umps, hate the plodding, base clogging, underachieving lineup.

regionsox73
04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
I absolutely HATE when DJ asked Hawk if "____ ever happened to you when you played?". He asks at least once a game and its always the smallest, most idiotic observation. :cuss:

I play a drinking game where I do a shot whenever DJ uses the term "thought process." I am lit by the 3rd inning. :)

oG xoS
04-30-2008, 07:40 PM
You wouldn't make it out of the first..... Does anyone else wish "Black Jack" Mc Dowell was in the booth more often in place of either Hawk or DJ? I thought he did a great job in those fill-in games he did last season.

Lip Man 1
04-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Once again both McDowell and Robin Ventura both said they have no interest in doing any MLB announcing until their kids have grown up. Both do not want to be away from home for eight months out of the year (including spring training)

Lip

Viva Medias B's
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
It's probably more because of Steve Stone's top drawer analysis, but I find myself hitting the mute button and turning on WSCR more often these days.

DickAllen72
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
It's probably more because of Steve Stone's top drawer analysis, but I find myself hitting the mute button and turning on WSCR more often these days.
I haven't done that yet this year. Is the audio of radio broadcast pretty much in sync with the video from the telecast this year or is it way off as in recent years? If it's in sync I'll do that every time but it irritates me when one or the other is delayed too much.

chisoxfanatic
04-30-2008, 10:17 PM
The ONLY thing that bugs me at all about those broadcasts are the what seems to be minutes of silence when things aren't going well on the field. But, then again, Hawk clearly relates his emotions to those that we as fans are feeling through the game. It's expected.

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2008, 11:45 PM
You wouldn't make it out of the first..... Does anyone else wish "Black Jack" Mc Dowell was in the booth more often in place of either Hawk or DJ? I thought he did a great job in those fill-in games he did last season.Doing what, plugging his wife's online baby clothes business? That's all I remember of his stints in the booth.

Parrothead
05-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't anymore. I turn down the sound and turn on the radio. Lucky for me they are in sync.

NADA SURF
05-01-2008, 02:16 AM
I love listening to the Hawk but I can't stand listening to DJ...
DJ's very intimidated by the Hawk...
I hear he's much better on national telecasts (which I seldom see and have never heard him.)
He needs to take his first opportunity to get out of town and be himself...
As for the Hawk--you can put him on the board and the rest of ya' can grab some bench.

jdm2662
05-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I haven't done that yet this year. Is the audio of radio broadcast pretty much in sync with the video from the telecast this year or is it way off as in recent years? If it's in sync I'll do that every time but it irritates me when one or the other is delayed too much.

At most, it's a half second off. I've been doing it all season, and I will continue to do it all year.

soxfan13
05-01-2008, 10:30 AM

If you dont like the subject line dont open the thread.:rolleyes:

ws05champs
05-01-2008, 11:51 AM
I love the Hawk. He's an icon of the Sox but he is also starting to fail somewhat. We need to be a little tolerant about Ken; His eyesight is not as good as it was and we are probably seeing the last 3 years of his tenure. I think one of these days Sox fans will look back and wish the Hawkeroo was still at the helm. :(:
Whether Hawk is an icon or not, is no reason to tolerate him. Not for the viewers and certainly not for the advertisers. When the audience they pay to reach (and help pay for us to watch the games), no longer gets their message because people are listening to the radio it hurts everybody. Ultimately this is a business and you have to do right for everyone - not just Hawk.

I'm sure iconic status is the reason why Santo is in the booth on the north side of town. As a Sox fan, I love listening his tortured whining when the Cubs are tanking, but true Cubs fans must be tearing their hair out. Do we have to wait until Hawk attains Santo's style before a change is made?

soxfan13
05-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Whether Hawk is an icon or not, is no reason to tolerate him. Not for the viewers and certainly not for the advertisers. When the audience they pay to reach (and help pay for us to watch the games), no longer gets their message because people are listening to the radio it hurts everybody. Ultimately this is a business and you have to do right for everyone - not just Hawk.

I'm sure iconic status is the reason why Santo is in the booth on the north side of town. As a Sox fan, I love listening his tortured whining when the Cubs are tanking, but true Cubs fans must be tearing their hair out. Do we have to wait until Hawk attains Santo's style before a change is made?

IMO hes already there!

Scottzilla
05-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree hawk is getting a little old, but thats because I been listening to him for as long as I can remember.

I think stone and hawk would be great, Stone must have taken a course in gerontology in his youth.

I also think that DJ is just biding his time waiting for hawk to retire.

How old are Black Jack and Robin's kids anyway? That could be something to look forward to :-)

WSox597
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm tired of Harrelson's schtick, and have been for years. He's not that good of an announcer to begin with, and the babbling just distracts from his announcing.

Still, it could be worse I guess. Santo comes to mind, and those terrible announcers on the Fox games.

Harrelson must be close to retiring by now. To my way of thinking, his best days in the booth were when he was with Don Drysdale.

Maybe Stone could help things out.

Sometimes I think there should be sub-titles when Hawk gets wound up in his Hawk-babble.

KingXerxes
05-01-2008, 06:06 PM

I know, I know - I said I wouldn't comment. Sue me for lying.

Santo is indeed an icon with the Cubs (# retired and all), but he doesn't even pretend to be a color commentator on WGN radio. He was simply put there to be a fan in front of a microphone, pure and simple. Whether you love him or hate him - he is genuine. Their broadcasts consist of Pat Hughes (who I think does a nice job) carrying 98% of the load, with Santo accentuating the winning or the losing.

Harrelson bounced around the major leagues getting himself traded quite a few times for being a "clubhouse lawyer". I would hazard to guess that not too many White Sox fans even gave this guy a thought until he showed up opposite of Don Drysdale on SportsChannel. When he was with Drysdale in the early years, he was actually somewhat tolerable because he wasn't constantly trying to illustrate what a genius he is. It's when he became "the guy" in the booth that everything started to seem very contrived and forced.

It doesn't seem like the booth for the White Sox broadcast is a very comfortable place to work if your name isn't Ken Harrelson. Rarely if ever is there a spontaneous conversation between Harrelson and anybody. It's always about Harrelson making some observation about this or that, and then stating ad naseum about how long he's been around this game. The really uncomfortable parts come when he asks Darrin Jackson, "Did you just see that?" (or something to that effect). Jackson must roll his eyes wondering what kind of esoteric and picayune "tendency" that Harrelson is focusing in on that he has to answer to, and he simply has never seemed all that comfortable around Harrelson.

I'm not sure how long the Cubs TV team (Brenley and Kaspar(sp?)) has been together, but when I do watch their broadcasts they seem very comfortable doing a game together. They will joke around with each other, and just seem generally relaxed. Listening to our television broadcast wears me out.

I do agree though, ultimately ratings will dictate who stays and who goes. The radio braodcast is decidely better with Steve Stone on board. Farmer is still a nut-job, but at least they don't exhaust me.

bryPt
05-01-2008, 06:12 PM
I do not hate listening to them, I just really like Farmio and Stoney that much better. Stone is the best on earth, so you gotta listen to him.

KingXerxes
05-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I do not hate listening to them, I just really like Farmio and Stoney that much better. Stone is the best on earth, so you gotta listen to him.

If you had put that on this board five years ago, this thread would be sixty five pages long with people vehemently telling you "you're nuts". :redface:

I have always thought a lot about Stone - not only becasue he knows a lot about the game, but more importantly for a broadcaster, he knows how to deliver the message. He was an ace with Harry Caray doing Cubs games, and he remains as such.

I just wish they'd move Stone over to the television side, deep six "Hawk" and "DJ", get a normal play-by-play guy for television, and then let Farmer and Melton do radio with Melton assuming much the same role as Santo does on WGN radio. God knows that Farmer will be more than happy to do 98% of the talking.

Brian26
05-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Doing what, plugging his wife's online baby clothes business? That's all I remember of his stints in the booth.

Obviously you didn't watch enough of the broadcasts because he did a hell of a job talking about pitching.

fquaye149
05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
If you had put that on this board five years ago, this thread would be sixty five pages long with people vehemently telling you "you're nuts". :redface:

I have always thought a lot about Stone - not only becasue he knows a lot about the game, but more importantly for a broadcaster, he knows how to deliver the message. He was an ace with Harry Caray doing Cubs games, and he remains as such.

I just wish they'd move Stone over to the television side, deep six "Hawk" and "DJ", get a normal play-by-play guy for television, and then let Farmer and Melton do radio with Melton assuming much the same role as Santo does on WGN radio. God knows that Farmer will be more than happy to do 98% of the talking.

I've always noticed that Sox fans loved Stone. I remember about 4 or 5 years ago there were a lot of people here who wished the Sox would hire him as GM

kba
05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
You wouldn't make it out of the first..... Does anyone else wish "Black Jack" Mc Dowell was in the booth more often in place of either Hawk or DJ? I thought he did a great job in those fill-in games he did last season.

No, but I wish there were a professional broadcaster in the booth to take the place of Hawk or DJ - somebody like John Rooney or Joe McConnell who can coherently describe what's happening on the field.

The problem with the Sox broadcasts over the past few years is that the ballclub seems to be of the opinion that you can take a bunch of ex-players, stick them in the booth, and magically turn them into competent broadcasters. There's a big difference between coming on as a guest and chatting about baseball for nine innings (like McDowell did) and being a full-time announcer - having to read line-ups, analyze every play, and do a few innings of play-by-play.

KingXerxes
05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
I've always noticed that Sox fans loved Stone. I remember about 4 or 5 years ago there were a lot of people here who wished the Sox would hire him as GM

My comment was made more in jest than anything, but if my memory serves correctly (not saying that it does) a lot of people were pounding him for being "nasally" and announcing the game as if the audience were 10 years old (i.e. "For all you youngsters at home.....").

I'm sure there are/were people on both sides, but it really doesn't matter now. He's with the White Sox - and I've realized over the years that people cheer for uniforms more than they do for the guy inside of it.

spongyfungy
05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I love listening to the Hawk but I can't stand listening to DJ...
DJ's very intimidated by the Hawk...
I hear he's much better on national telecasts (which I seldom see and have never heard him.)
He needs to take his first opportunity to get out of town and be himself...
As for the Hawk--you can put him on the board and the rest of ya' can grab some bench.

He did do some fox games on saturday when the sox were on fox sports net. I want to say with brennaman. He did sound good because he sounded knowledgeable talking about the team he covers. I guess there was a little bit of that representing factor too.

But he also wasn't handcuffed by Hawk. The pbp man is supposed to be the foil that the color commentator is supposed to, as Thome would say, rag on.
You can't do that with Hawk. There is also the generational gap and just different type of humor. DJ is a dork. Remember Don Pall in Toronto? "Wonder twin powers activate?" (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=680374&postcount=23)If you didn't like that, you probably aren't a DJ fan.
Or how the imfamous uh oh call? Classic DJ

LoveYourSuit
05-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Hawk winning = OK

Hawk losing = I want to drink sand

BadBobbyJenks
05-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Nope as long as the stretch on routine fly outs does not get out of hand.

HITMEN OF 77
05-02-2008, 04:44 PM
I hate these threads. Has it been 3 months already since someone started our last one?

Malgar 12
05-02-2008, 07:19 PM

You can put that on the board. YES!

ilsox7
05-02-2008, 07:21 PM
DJ has never been good and probably never will be. Hawk used to be entertaining, but is now borderline unlistenable. It's sad, really.

PKalltheway
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I've always liked listening to Hawk and DJ.

DickAllen72
05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Well tonight after about two innings I turned down the TV audio and put on Stone and Farmer. I'll probably stick to that for the rest of the season.

Even though I'm bummed out about the loss tonight, it wasn't nearly as bad as it is when listening to Hawk when the Sox are losing.

TornLabrum
05-03-2008, 07:36 AM
DJ has never been good and probably never will be. Hawk used to be entertaining, but is now borderline unlistenable. It's sad, really.

Hawk was entertaining when he was in the second chair behind Don Drysdale. Hawk was entertaining when he had Tom Paciorek as his co-pilot. Hawk's act gets old when he is in the booth anyone who is less than excellent. If you don't believe that, play the tapes of Hawk with Steve Stone last summer.

Frater Perdurabo
05-03-2008, 07:44 AM
As others have said, DJ is a competent analyst when he is paired with another professional PBP announcer.

I think DJ realizes that there's more job security in being a good "company man," brown-nosing Hawk, and never saying anything negative about the Sox or his PBP partner. As long as he does that, he'll have a job with the Sox, because this organization values LOYALTY over all other qualities.

tick53
05-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I say can Darrin Jackson and put Stone in the booth with Hawk maybe that would spark them to do the game instead of hearing the same old stories about their playing days.

HitMan_naMtiH
05-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Did anyone else hear Hawk say, "God damn it" when JD flyed out in the 8th?

Illini Stripes
05-03-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm with those who feel the Hawk/DJ act has gone stale. Too much talking about when they played, etc. Like others here, I mute my HDTV and turn on XM radio (but I have to pause my DVR to sync with radio....:cool:

Anyway, I love Farmer/Stone on the radio. I have the MLB package on DirecTV.....I watch alot of Dodger games at night...Hawk & DJ should learn a few things from Vin Scully. Vin works alone for the whole game and when you watch a Dodger game, you get tons of information.....and he's not a homer!

SoxandtheCityTee
05-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Why does Hawk call a broken bat a Matt Abbatacola? Does he dislike the guy?

Mr. White Sox
05-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks to Stone's addition, I've been muting the TV whenever possible and synching it up with the radio broadcast. I find it much more insightful and much less repetitive than the dad-gummits, he gones, yaz's, and juuust missed its of yesteryear. Sometimes the radio is faster than the game, and if it's a significant difference I'll listen to the TV broadcast.

ws05champs
05-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Why does Hawk call a broken bat a Matt Abbatacola? Does he dislike the guy?
Hawk thinks that sound of his name amuses himself.

KingXerxes
05-08-2008, 03:04 PM
After years and years of being annoyed by Ken Harrelson in the booth - I have finally figured out exactly what it is that drivs me nuts.

He is always trying to say something that he thinks passes for being profound.

The 6th inning of today's game is a perfect example. After Cuddyer hit a single on a 3-2 pitch, he went into some sort of psuedo-intellectual discourse on the concept of "control" between a hitter and a pitcher - and how this "control" is a huge element in the success of an at bat (from both the hitter's an pitcher's perspective). He the went on to talk about it through the next couple of hitters. This little discourse does absolutely nothing for the viewer at home, and exists only as a self serving show of expertise on Harrelson's part.

Any little kid who's watched baseball knows that a pitcher is a far better pitcher when he gets ahead of the hitters consistently. The opposite also holds true for batters. EVERYBODY WORTH HIS SALT KNOWS THIS. But here comes "Hawk" repackaging the obvious and representing it as sublime.

I long for the day when we get a play-by-play announcer.

TheVulture
05-09-2008, 09:14 AM
That is the great thing about our country, you have the option to not listen, hence the mute button.

True. Mute buttons are disabled in other lands.

GBORN
05-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Besides, Yazstremski, Hawk has a man crush on Minnesota's Carlos Gomez. Every time we've faced the Twinkies, he gushes on about Carlos being a good looking ball player and how fast he is, comparing him to Ricky Henderson. He carries on with this every broadcast.

Gosox1917
05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Pure speculation here, but I have a feeling this maybe Hawk's last year in the booth. I was able to watch the game yesterday and for the most part DJ did all the play-by-play.

I used to be a big Hawk supporter but I too have grown old of his act. I think now would be a good time for him to step down. We have four color commentators doing broadcasts between radio and tv. It's about time we get a professional broadcaster in the booth with these guys...preferably me.

To me, the ideal situation would be DJ and Stone and a pro with Ed.

Thoughts?

gamblinkenny
05-09-2008, 03:58 PM
True. Mute buttons are disabled in other lands.

i made no mention to any other country whatsoever, i merely pointed out the fact that we have a wide range of freedoms in our country. good try though!

KingXerxes
05-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Pure speculation here, but I have a feeling this maybe Hawk's last year in the booth. I was able to watch the game yesterday and for the most part DJ did all the play-by-play.

I used to be a big Hawk supporter but I too have grown old of his act. I think now would be a good time for him to step down. We have four color commentators doing broadcasts between radio and tv. It's about time we get a professional broadcaster in the booth with these guys...preferably me.

To me, the ideal situation would be DJ and Stone and a pro with Ed.

Thoughts?

I was thinking that as well. Jackson seems to be doing more play-by-play as time moves on. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part.

New PBP Announcer + Steve Stone = Television

New PBP Announcer + Ed Farmer = Radio

Brian26
05-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Pure speculation here, but I have a feeling this maybe Hawk's last year in the booth.

I recall recently reading that Hawk signed a three-year extension over the winter.

ode to veeck
05-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Can't stand Hawk and DJ; never liked Hawk in the 1st place.