PDA

View Full Version : Great Column

Lip Man 1
04-30-2008, 03:04 AM
FYI:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-080429-morrissey-lee-elia-chicago-cubs,1,6779114.column

Lip

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Wow - when does Rick Morrissey get reassigned to the Tribune's Anchorage sports department?

Well said.

nasox
04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I was going to post this here. I think he was trying to walk a fine line and not criticize the Wrigley crowd (because a lot of those aren't real Cub fans; the real Cub fans are pretty cool, a lot like us). That's fine, because if he laid it on them like I think he wanted to but didn't, he would have had a full inbox of angry emails.

Still, well written, although the point about more fans, more obnoxious people at the ballpark is not really that true considering the proportion of yahoos at Wrigley is just really big.

The Critic
04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
I was going to post this here. I think he was trying to walk a fine line and not criticize the Wrigley crowd (because a lot of those aren't real Cub fans; the real Cub fans are pretty cool, a lot like us). That's fine, because if he laid it on them like I think he wanted to but didn't, he would have had a full inbox of angry emails.

Still, well written, although the point about more fans, more obnoxious people at the ballpark is not really that true considering the proportion of yahoos at Wrigley is just really big.

Thank you!
I know a lot of Cubs fans, and not one of them fits the stereotype. That's not to say there aren't a lot of jerky Cubs fans, because there are, but the good, knowledgeable, REAL Cubs fans get painted over with the broad brush used to describe Cubs fans. The Ligue comparison was right on the money - the goons who litter USCF stain the real Sox fans the same way the imbeciles who litter Wrigley stain the real Cubs fans.

PatK
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Two comments

1) His comments about the Reds not being good "for a very long time" are hilarious. They have won a championship in the last 20 years

2) Why can't anyone make an article about Cubs fans being asshats without referencing the Ligues?

SOXPHILE
04-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Two comments

1) His comments about the Reds not being good "for a very long time" are hilarious. They have won a championship in the last 20 years

2) Why can't anyone make an article about Cubs fans being asshats without referencing the Ligues?

That is funny. I remember hearing something similar a couple of weeks ago during the Marty Brennerman "controversy". Someone on the Score was saying how he's probably just jealous of the Cubs, because the Reds have stunk for so long, and don't really have anything going for them. I wanted badly to call or fax in to them, pointing out that I'm in my 30's, and the Reds have won 5 N.L. pennants, and 3 World Series Championships in just my lifetime alone; And that it was more than a little ridiculous to mock ANY team's history in comparison to the Great and Wonderful Cubs.

spiffie
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I was underwhelmed by this. Even in "critiquing" the fans, he still has to propagate the idea of how wonderful they are for always being there. His basic premise seems to be "when you are as wildly popular as the Cubs, sometimes a few bad apples will show up and make everyone else look bad." The only thing he does different than the traditional party line is to slightly bump up the number of said apples.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
The only thing he does different than the traditional party line is to slightly bump up the number of said apples.

Hard not to when almost 3 dozen baseballs end up on the field upholding a "time honored tradition". Too bad Brennamann wasn't at Wrigley last year with the Reds when that female threw the ball and almost hit Jacque Jones....of course, then she'd been a Sox fan at the game.