PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Freel

getonbckthr
04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Supposedly he is unhappy in Cincinatti due to reduced playing time. I would love for the Sox to look at him as a possible trade canidate to come over play a majority of 2B with also playing some 3B, LF, CF, RF. He could also leadoff. He is similar to Brian Roberts except he brings less power and would cost alot less in a trade. If anything if your willing to take his whole contract (somewhere around 2 yrs 7 million). As far as rosetr spot we could send Alexi down until we find a team willing to take Uribe. Freel last year only played 77 games cause he got hurt crashing into a wall I believe and stole like 15-16 bases. In the previous seasons he averaged like 135 games and about 37 SB's. Possibly a MacDougal for Freel deal?

kittle42
04-29-2008, 10:21 PM
YES! Another "Thread with random really ****ty player's name as the title" and then a suggestion that the Sox get him! Love it!

gogosox16
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
hasn't there been a lot of conversation about him coming here on WSI.....No thanks....I would rather give a job to BA or Jerry to let them develop

btrain929
04-30-2008, 12:00 AM
hasn't there been a lot of conversation about him coming here on WSI.....No thanks....I would rather give a job to BA or Jerry to let them develop

I'm guessing the point of the original post is that Freel could be used at 2B and leadoff. Right now we don't have a runaway starter for 2B. Our OF is crowded, so BA and Jerry are just **** out of luck.

I don't know how Freel's D is, especially at 2B, but I personally would love our leadoff guy to come from 2B, letting Swish move to 5th/6th.

WhiteSox5187
04-30-2008, 02:39 AM
While he has nice speed and appears to get on base fairly well, he also appears to be a walking injury. The guy hasn't played in more than 140 games since '04 and has never played more than 143 games.

cws05champ
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
If we were to get him cheap it's not a bad deal. Alexi could go down and get consitent AB's, Uribe could be released or benched when Richar returns. I don't know if this helps us too much, but wouldn't be opposed to it either if it was a low level MiL we gave up.

The Dude
04-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Another instant classic!

doublem23
04-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I definitely feel good about a guy who struggles to get playing time in Cincinnati.

:gah:

soxfan13
04-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Why dont the Sox just go out and get Elijah Price.:tongue:

ohiosoxfan
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
I think Freel has some alcohol issues as well. Picked up not too long ago for drunk driving.

Taliesinrk
04-30-2008, 10:41 AM
YES! Another "Thread with random really ****ty player's name as the title" and then a suggestion that the Sox get him! Love it!

YES! Another "You guys are idiots for not agreeing with me" post. Love it!

This suggestion is far from ridiculous, and I believe commands some consideration. We have little to no base-stealing threats this year, no one around here will stop bitching about Uribe, and it'd be nice to utilize some of Swisher's power (although he has had some solid LO ABs)

getonbckthr
04-30-2008, 01:05 PM
I definitely feel good about a guy who struggles to get playing time in Cincinnati.

:gah:
Where can he play in Cincy? LF is Dunn, RF is Griffey, CF is Patterson. Freel is better than Patterson however Dusty loves him some Patterson. Encarnacion is having a good year at 3B, Phillips is solid at 2B. Votto might be their best player right now at 1B so the idea of moving Dunn or Griffey would be a bad idea. He can't play SS or C.

getonbckthr
04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
While he has nice speed and appears to get on base fairly well, he also appears to be a walking injury. The guy hasn't played in more than 140 games since '04 and has never played more than 143 games.
When in the OF he likes to run into walls alot. When he was playing regularly he was all over ESPN for work in the OF. Playing 2B for us we wouldn't need to worry about walls.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM
YES! Another "You guys are idiots for not agreeing with me" post. Love it!

This suggestion is far from ridiculous, and I believe commands some consideration. We have little to no base-stealing threats this year, no one around here will stop bitching about Uribe, and it'd be nice to utilize some of Swisher's power (although he has had some solid LO ABs)

You know, I'm actually going to man up and admit that I jumped the gun this time...Freel could have value to this team and a few others - not sure that he would have success as an everyday starter, but it has to be better than what we have now.

kittle42
04-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I think Freel has some alcohol issues as well. Picked up not too long ago for drunk driving.

Worked fine for Freddy Garcia.

spiffie
04-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Problem with Freel is how much of an impact have the injuries had on him. If he's the 2004 Freel, with a 370 OBP and the ability to steal 30-35 bases a season, he's an interesting addition. But if he's the Freel who has been less effective at getting on base, he loses any appeal he might have had. Seems like a bit more of a risk than the team needs to take right now. But then I guess I just am not that desperate to get 25 more SB per year into the lineup.