PDA

View Full Version : Cub/Sox Sunday 22 Night Game??

Sox35th
04-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Sorry if thereís another post on this topic already butÖÖ.

Anyone know for sure if the Cub/Sox game at Wrigley (aka Zell Field) on Sunday June 22nd. will be a night game? I know its slated to be ESPNís game
of the week, but they do have the option to drop the game correct?

Guess Iím just wondering if itís set in stone yet?

Also, any work on the start time for the Sunday Cubs/Sox game at the Cell?

Thanks

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 01:22 PM
According to the Sox schedule I have the game is slated for a 7:05 start.

TDog
04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
It is silly and wrong that the teams should play a day game on Friday and a night game on Sunday. Actually, I will be flying out of Chicago on June 22, but I wouldn't be going to the game even if my flight were leaving in the evening because I don't do Wrigley Field.

But then, I consider Sunday night baseball to be silly and wrong.

The schedule on the MLB site has the game time as TBD.

Rocky Soprano
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
What about the Sunday Cub - Sox game at The Cell, is that still a TBD?

Foulke You
04-29-2008, 01:43 PM
According to whitesox.com BOTH Sunday crosstown series games are still listed as TBD. I figure one of the two will get picked up by ESPN but not both.

The Yankees play the Mets the same weekend of the series at The Cell but they don't play each other the same weekend we play at Wrigley. Smart money is on the Sunday Wrigley game getting picked up by ESPN and they'll show Yankees/Mets the following Sunday.

skottyj242
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
It is silly and wrong that the teams should play a day game on Friday and a night game on Sunday. Actually, I will be flying out of Chicago on June 22, but I wouldn't be going to the game even if my flight were leaving in the evening because I don't do Wrigley Field.

But then, I consider Sunday night baseball to be silly and wrong.

The schedule on the MLB site has the game time as TBD.

Well think of the crowds on a Friday night game, you have two hours after work to get buzzed in the lot are at thetavern then the whole game. People will be "less inclined" to get wasted on a Sunday night therefore less fights (at least in theory). But also if it's on ESPN the teams really don't have that much of a choice. I don't think any of these games should be played at night. I only enjoy the Saturday game at home and that's because I take my father for his birthday.

beasly213
04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I hope its not a night game at Wrigley. Cubs/Sox games at night are bad ideas. People tend to act like fools and drink too much all day.

If anything I wish they would do the Friday night game at US Cellular and the day game on Sunday.

I prefer night games at US Cellular and Day games at the Rusty Field.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Well think of the crowds on a Friday night game, you have two hours after work to get buzzed in the lot are at thetavern then the whole game. People will be "less inclined" to get wasted on a Sunday night therefore less fights (at least in theory). But also if it's on ESPN the teams really don't have that much of a choice. I don't think any of these games should be played at night. I only enjoy the Saturday game at home and that's because I take my father for his birthday.

I would suspect that if both the Sox and Cubs are leading their divisions at that point ESPN will gladly pick up that game.

chisoxfan79
04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Correct me if im wrong but I do believe that the city will not allow the Cubs to have Night games on Friday and Saturday

chisoxfanatic
04-29-2008, 01:50 PM
I hope its not a night game at Wrigley. Cubs/Sox games at night are bad ideas. People tend to act like fools and drink too much all day.

If anything I wish they would do the Friday night game at US Cellular and the day game on Sunday.

I prefer night games at US Cellular and Day games at the Rusty Field.
I hope the night game isn't at Wrigley either. Bad things are more likely to happen if the night game was at Wrigley than if it were to be played at Comiskey.

Lip Man 1
04-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Actually the city has stated they do not want ANY Cubs/Sox games played at night at anytime.

Lip

DSpivack
04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Actually the city has stated they do not want ANY Cubs/Sox games played at night at anytime.

Lip

Daley vs ESPN, who wins?

Mr.1Dog
04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Daley vs ESPN, who wins?

Daley.

Chilli Palmer
04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Correct me if im wrong but I do believe that the city will not allow the Cubs to have Night games on Friday and Saturday

You are correct sir.

TDog
04-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Lip

That was my understanding. I don't know if ESPN carries the force of law, but I would love to see the city stand up to the network.

There will never be another all-Chicago World Series again, but in that case MLB would prevail and play the games in miserable nighttime late October conditions. That too would be silly and wrong, but it would be different.

btrain929
04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Daley vs ESPN, who wins?

Ditka.

RockJock07
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
That was my understanding. I don't know if ESPN carries the force of law, but I would love to see the city stand up to the network.

There will never be another all-Chicago World Series again, but in that case MLB would prevail and play the games in miserable nighttime late October conditions. That too would be silly and wrong, but it would be different.

I shudder to think the chaos this city would be in if there was a crosstown WS. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Sox in the WS every year, but there is just to much Bull**** and trash-talking, we see it to much as it is during the reg season games.

With that said, one of these games is gonna get picked up by ESPN. Also, on an unrelated note, will ESPN ever get rid of Miller/Morgan team, i think it's time. The monday night baseball crew is pretty good, I wouldn't mind seeing them take over.

DSpivack
04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I shudder to think the chaos this city would be in if there was a crosstown WS. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Sox in the WS every year, but there is just to much Bull**** and trash-talking, we see it to much as it is during the reg season games.

With that said, one of these games is gonna get picked up by ESPN. Also, on an unrelated note, will ESPN ever get rid of Miller/Morgan team, i think it's time. The monday night baseball crew is pretty good, I wouldn't mind seeing them take over.

I've always liked Jon Miller, it's Joe Morgan that has to go.

asg2003ws2005
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
ESPN won in 2004.

Oh, and TBS hasnt selected thier sunday games yet for 6/22 or 6/29, so those games could start AS EARLY as 12 noon.

cws05champ
04-29-2008, 04:59 PM
If they were to have it Sunday night, there is a much higher probability of the Bleachers trashing the field if things don't go their way. Thus Marty Brenaman would be proven correct.

kittle42
04-29-2008, 05:36 PM
ESPN won in 2004.

Oh, and TBS hasnt selected thier sunday games yet for 6/22 or 6/29, so those games could start AS EARLY as 12 noon.

I HATE noon games. The weekend is for sleeping til noon, not being at a ballpark at 1130.

TheOldRoman
04-29-2008, 11:06 PM
ESPN won in 2004.Yep. It was especially a big deal because it fell on July 4, and the Taste of Chicago was going on. Daley was pissed because he had to pay a lot of extra overtime for the cops that night. ESPN has the ultimate authority for those games.