PDA

View Full Version : Harold Baines - hitting coach?

rainbow6
04-29-2008, 12:11 PM
With Ozzie now publicly displeased with the offence, I wonder if switching Greg Walker and Baines's coaching responsibilities has ever been discussed?

I can't imagine Walker being fired, but it does seem concievable that he be reassigned...

It will be interesting to see what happens if this team - for the second straight season - is still near the bottom of the pack batting average come mid-season.

btrain929
04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm sure Baines is a smart baseball man, but he just seems too quiet to be any type of coach. That's probably why they just stuck him down at 1b.

PatK
04-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I know Charlie Lau was the Sox hitting coach for a while (and back in 1983).

Has his son ever been considered?

It seems like I'm seeing the same thing over and over with Walker. I'd like to see something/someone else.

TDog
04-29-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm sure Baines is a smart baseball man, but he just seems too quiet to be any type of coach. That's probably why they just stuck him down at 1b.

Harold Baines is not as gregarious as Greg Walker, but he has worked with some hitters and knows what he is talking about. On a personal level, he isn't as quiet as some people believe him to be. He would make a good coach for a hitter, but that is different from being a good team hitting coach.

TomBradley72
04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm probably wrong...but I just don't see the hitting coach having that big of an impact with a veteran team like the White Sox. Veteran players almost always eventually perform right around their career averages. Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, Konerko,Uribe are the veterans currently underperforming...I just can't see blaming Greg Walker for their slow starts...just like I won't be giving him credit when they perform at a level consistent with their history over the course of a 162 game season.

If I'm going to blame Walker for the veterans not performing, then he deserves credit for AJ, Dye and Crede's performance as well as Quentin's performance...which since he's such a young player would more likely be influenced by a batting coach.

We're not even out of April yet...we're in 1st place...and we're tied for 4th in runs scored, we're middle of the pack for OBP and Slugging...firing Walker will not help us win the division this year.

BadBobbyJenks
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
It is time to get rid of Greg Walker. Every season we say veteran hitters blah blah blah. Get him out of here.

bestkosher
04-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Getting rid of Greg Walker although part of the problem will nto solve it. The Sox need to have an exuberance put on hitting balls up the middle. No more batting practice homers...hell fine for it. Making all batting practice be to certain spots not the seats

Nellie_Fox
04-30-2008, 12:55 AM
The Sox need to have an exuberance put on hitting balls up the middle.:scratch:

DumpJerry
04-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Baines is also responsible for the outfielders. You can't be too quiet for that position, you need to have a loud clear voice to be heard from the dugout over the crowd noise.

Dan Mega
04-30-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm probably wrong...but I just don't see the hitting coach having that big of an impact with a veteran team like the White Sox.

Then what is the point of even having a hitting coach? His job is to make sure everyone hits well and gets better. Even veterans.

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Then what is the point of even having a hitting coach? His job is to make sure everyone hits well and gets better. Even veterans.

My point is not that they are un-necessary. My point is that replacing Walker (in my opinion) will not solve the problems of Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, Konerko and Uribe..the guys currently slumping. Especially a mid season switch...it might make the people thinking Walker's to blame feel better for a little while...but it won't actually change the results in 2008.

southsideirish71
04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
My point is not that they are un-necessary. My point is that replacing Walker (in my opinion) will not solve the problems of Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, Konerko and Uribe..the guys currently slumping. Especially a mid season switch...it might make the people thinking Walker's to blame feel better for a little while...but it won't actually change the results in 2008.

The Indians fired their hitting coach in 05 and their offense pretty much exploded for the rest of the season. I am sick of this argument that you can't fire a hitting coach in mid season. We hear this year in and year out, and Walk is still here and the offense is still bad. We heard that last year. And look how that worked out.

palehozenychicty
04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
The Indians fired their hitting coach in 05 and their offense pretty much exploded for the rest of the season. I am sick of this argument that you can't fire a hitting coach in mid season. We hear this year in and year out, and Walk is still here and the offense is still bad. We heard that last year. And look how that worked out.

That's the thing, that aside from the explosion of power in the first half of '06, the Sox offense has not been very consistent for a long time. They've had the power for years, but have had trouble with situational hitting aside from '05. What's the worse that could happen with making a change?

TomBradley72
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
The Indians fired their hitting coach in 05 and their offense pretty much exploded for the rest of the season.

You're right...they fired Eddie Murray and replaced him with their minor league hitting instructor Derek Shelton. The move made a lot of sense because almost the entire Indians line up that year was made up of talent that was developed in their farm system and Shelton had existing relationships with the players. Young players + coach they had previous success with = positive improvement. In my opinion, veteran players + random replacement they haven't worked with before = no real impact.

I'm not going to be upset if Walker gets replaced...I just doubt it will help much due to the nature of the 5 starters who are really slumping. I think they will come out of it and return to their career level of production.

Domeshot17
04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Firing Walker will do nothing. Kenny built this team to live and die on the home run and the last few it has died. The idea has been take a bunch of really high OBP guys and that way guys will be on base when someone goes yard. Well, it has worked so far but we will have stretches like this.

I mean look it over, Walker did well with a TERRIBLE offense in 2005, hell he had Carl Everett as his clean up hitter, the same Carl Everett who was out of baseball a year later.

In 2006 the Offense wasnt the problem the Pitching let us down.

In 2007 he had an offense that everyday included Uribe-Terrero-Andy Gonzalez-Owens-Fields hitting 2, that was more on Kenny then Walker. Im sorry but babe ruth wouldnt have been able to teach that lineup to hit.

You don't fire the hitting coach when you are in first place. All we need is someone else to take over, rub the team the wrong way, change something up, and stop rolling.

Yes Thome and Konerko are starting slow. Crede and Quentin have been hotter than usual to start. Everyting will balance out.

TheVulture
05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
My point is that replacing Walker (in my opinion) will not solve the problems of Swisher, Cabrera, Thome, Konerko and Uribe.
Tell that to Frank Thomas.