PDA

View Full Version : Uribe's New Stance

Lillian
04-29-2008, 05:35 AM
This may not merit a "new thread", but I didn't want it to get buried in another thread because I'd really like to hear what you all think.
Did anyone notice a dramatic change in Uribe's stance and approach yesterday in his at bat when he hit the homer?
I wrote this last week in another thread:

"I wish Walker would make Uribe change his approach drastically. Why not close his stance? At least from a closed stance he would have a chance to reach those low and away breaking pitches, which he has always seemed incapable of resisting. A closed stance would also help him to be successful at trying to go to right field. Maybe waiting a little longer on pitches, in order to hit to right instead of trying to pull everything, would help his pitch recognition."

Yesterday, he was closed, and he really waited, and stayed back. Do you think that there has been a conscious effort here to change his approach, and do you think it will help significantly?

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2008, 06:15 AM
I didn't see Monday's game, but I heard his homer on XM.

I know it takes away from his primary duties in the clubhouse card game, but I certainly hope that Walker is working with Uribe to improve his hitting.

cws05champ
04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
This may not merit a "new thread", but I didn't want it to get buried in another thread because I'd really like to hear what you all think.
Did anyone notice a dramatic change in Uribe's stance and approach yesterday in his at bat when he hit the homer?
I wrote this last week in another thread:

"I wish Walker would make Uribe change his approach drastically. Why not close his stance? At least from a closed stance he would have a chance to reach those low and away breaking pitches, which he has always seemed incapable of resisting. A closed stance would also help him to be successful at trying to go to right field. Maybe waiting a little longer on pitches, in order to hit to right instead of trying to pull everything, would help his pitch recognition."

Yesterday, he was closed, and he really waited, and stayed back. Do you think that there has been a conscious effort here to change his approach, and do you think it will help significantly?

I think he got a cookie and for once didn't miss it. He swings so hard at EVERY pitch, when he does make solid contact it goes somewhere hard.

Lillian
04-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Take a look at the video.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cws

DrCrawdad
04-29-2008, 07:44 AM
I think he got a cookie and for once didn't miss it. He swings so hard at EVERY pitch, when he does make solid contact it goes somewhere hard.

Yesterdays HR from Juan sure went a long way! I didn't see it till this video clip. That was Juan gone!

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 10:05 AM
It actually looks like Uribe closed his stance and is standing up a bit more. He tore the cover off that ball!

btrain929
04-29-2008, 10:44 AM
That was the first thing I noticed. He closed his stance a great deal, so now it's just barely open, almost straight up. Also, he appeared to be a little closer to the plate. With his old stance, it seemed like he was a mile away from the plate and had no shot at covering the outside corner. Now, he should be able to reach it. Finally, standing a little more upright did make him look a little more relaxed at the plate.

Hopefully it'll pay off and he can become a .260 hitter/.330 hitter and great D at 2B.

johnr1note
04-29-2008, 10:47 AM
It actually looks like Uribe closed his stance and is standing up a bit more. He tore the cover off that ball!

Yeah, and he also didn't look as "busy" while waiting for the pitch. Here's hoping he can have a little more discipline at the plate.

oeo
04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Uribe constantly changes his stance. It works for a couple of weeks, and then he's garbage again. Nothing new here...except I wouldn't mind if he went on one of those streaks where he's hitting everything and carries the bottom of the lineup for a little bit.

Lillian
04-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Uribe constantly changes his stance. It works for a couple of weeks, and then he's garbage again. Nothing new here...except I wouldn't mind if he went on one of those streaks where he's hitting everything and carries the bottom of the lineup for a little bit.

Yes, he has changed his stance before, primarily at the urging of Walker.
However, I can't ever remember him in this latest stance. In addition to being so open, he also used to bend over, which I hate. A crouch with the knees bent, in a slight squat position is great, but bending over is a really awkward stance.

TomBradley72
04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Take a look at the video.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cws

Good call on this thread...he's closed his stance significantly...you can see the difference between this video (yesterday's HR) and a double he hit a week ago against the Yankees (video is on White Sox website).

Carolina Kenny
04-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Uribe still proclaims his innocence regarding the alledged shooting in 2007.

Jenks4Prez
04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Ureebs is my boy and always will be. He won a World Series for this team with his glove and I will never forget that.

Don't listen to em' Ureebs.....
Haters gonna hate!

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Uribe still proclaims his innocence regarding the alledged shooting in 2007.

As Fozzie Bear would say:

Wacka Wacka Wacka :rolleyes:

Bigfoot38
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Good call on this thread...he's closed his stance significantly...you can see the difference between this video (yesterday's HR) and a double he hit a week ago against the Yankees (video is on White Sox website).

That was Juan Uribe in the batters box???? Wow he looked like a proffesional hitter before during and after the pitch. He actually made a good swing bye letting his hips hit the ball and not his arms.

Anyone know when this stance has started. This could be a start of a Magic Juan streak.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 04:18 PM
That was Juan Uribe in the batters box???? Wow he looked like a proffesional hitter before during and after the pitch. He actually made a good swing bye letting his hips hit the ball and not his arms.

Anyone know when this stance has started. This could be a start of a Magic Juan streak.

This has to be very recent because I was at Thursday night's game and he still had the open stance. Maybe with his days off he has watched some videotapes. But I too hope that this is the start of another Juan Uribe hot streak.

35th and Shields
04-29-2008, 05:24 PM

Anyone know when this stance has started. This could be a start of a Magic Juan streak[/B].

I really wish that it was possible :tongue: