PDA

View Full Version : Konerko now a 10-5 man

Sockinchisox
04-29-2008, 12:35 AM
For those who didn't know when that kicked in, it's today, he now possesses full trade veto power.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080428-paul-konerko-no-trade-chicago-white-sox,1,4530770.story

Lip Man 1
04-29-2008, 12:44 AM
He's had a very good Sox career. This is something he's earned. Congratulations to him. Hopefully he'll have another four or five productive seasons.

Lip

Hitmenof77
04-29-2008, 12:45 AM
For those who didn't know when that kicked in, it's today, he now possesses full trade veto power.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080428-paul-konerko-no-trade-chicago-white-sox,1,4530770.story

Which can be bought and sold easily. Plenty of players have waived their trade clause to get out of a bad situation, go to a contender for a chance to win a ring or another ring. Hopefully that doesn't happen with PK.

TDog
04-29-2008, 02:08 AM
He's had a very good Sox career. This is something he's earned. Congratulations to him. Hopefully he'll have another four or five productive seasons.

Lip

In 2002, maybe 2001, there was some feeling that Paul Konerko wouldn't be able to remain in physical shape to last another five years, but you are right. He has put together a solid White Sox career.

I was impressed that today when Chad Bradford came in to face him with men on first and second and one out that he came up with the RBI single to give the Sox the lead. With Bradford pitching and Konerko hitting, I'm sure most people expected a doubleplay.

On the ESPN GameCast, before the hit, Konerko's average this year with runners in scoring position was listed at .350, with I found surprising. Quietly, because he is off to a slow start, he seems to be getting the job done.

jabrch
04-29-2008, 05:44 AM
Which can be bought and sold easily. Plenty of players have waived their trade clause to get out of a bad situation, go to a contender for a chance to win a ring or another ring. Hopefully that doesn't happen with PK.

As much as I'd like to see him retire a White Sox, if the franchise can benefit from moving Paul, that's fine too. I'm not really attached to him either way.

I'll never forget what he has done for us in the past, but at the same time, it is less about that and more about what he is going to do in the future. It seems like he is heating up. He's still walking a ton. But if PK isn't hitting, the walks alone aren't enough. .218/.357/.449 is not PK numbers. He's a slow starter - I'm more than willing to suffer through April and May where he regularly looks like crap (.277/.350/.483 and .229/.312/.408) for the upside of SummerKonerko. Glad we have managed to stay out in front despite his struggles.

voodoochile
04-29-2008, 06:43 AM
:walnuts
"Hey JR, the ball was a fake. Just joking..."

Congrats, PK. You deserve it, Captain.

Frater Perdurabo
04-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Alas, no more "trade Paulie to the Angels" posts from me. It's like the end of an era. :redneck

In all seriousness, I really hope Paulie goes on a .300/40 HRs/.920 OPS tear for the rest of his career with the Sox.

esbrechtel
04-29-2008, 09:56 AM
It is great to see a guy stick around for that long in today's sports market....congrats Paul! Good thing we still have Crede for trade rumors otherwise WTS board would have to shut down!

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Good for Paulie. I really do hope that he stays here for the rest of his career. People here tend to forget that he took less money to stay on the South Side.

chisoxfanatic
04-29-2008, 10:20 AM
He's definitely one of my three favorite players of all time and I'm hoping he'll finish his career here as well. He's provided so many years of great service for this organization. What a great trade that was to get him here!

spiffie
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
It is great to see a guy stick around for that long in today's sports market....congrats Paul! Good thing we still have Crede for trade rumors otherwise WTS board would have to shut down!
So long as Aaron Rowand lives and breathes there will always be a need for WTS.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
He's definitely one of my three favorite players of all time and I'm hoping he'll finish his career here as well. He's provided so many years of great service for this organization. What a great trade that was to get him here!

November 11, 1998: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/1998.shtml) to the Chicago White Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1998.shtml) for Mike Cameron (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/camermi01.shtml)

After Cameron had his 4 HR game against us in May 2002 a friend of mine kept saying I bet you guys still wish you had him and I said I'd still take Konerko and I still do.

whitesoxwilkes
04-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Congratulations, Paul. You're a class act through and through.

Here's to seeing your number out on that LF wall someday.

HITMEN OF 77
04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Congrats Paulie. My favorite White Sox player of all time. If he finishes his career with the Sox, he should own a lot of the offensive White Sox records. Great player!

btrain929
04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Konerko here for the rest of his career, but I think I'd like to see him move down in the order eventually (starting in '09 maybe). If Quentin keeps up this performance throughout this year, and Fields coming up next year (maybe, if not traded), and hopefully moving Swisher down in the order, we could put Paulie 5th or 6th, taking some pressure off of him, and hopefully helping him out. His numbers as a 5th/6th hitter would be a lot more impressive than having his numbers as our 4th hitter.

The Immigrant
04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Congratulations to a true class act.

hawkjt
04-29-2008, 11:39 AM
yesterday before the game PK said this was the type of game division champs have to win...I thought of that when he was up there late in the tie game with runners in scoring position...time to make it happen PK...and he did!! Clutch hit from a guy who is slowly working his way toward respectability in terms of batting average.

Good AB,PK.

esbrechtel
04-29-2008, 11:51 AM
So long as Aaron Rowand lives and breathes there will always be a need for WTS.

Good call....

Foulke You
04-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Congrats Paulie. That Grand Slam in the World Series alone is worth the 10/5 clause for me. I'd like to see Paulie finish his career here or at least play most of his career here like Frank Thomas did. I can see Paulie being our full time DH in a few years.

JB98
04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Congrats Paulie. My favorite White Sox player of all time. If he finishes his career with the Sox, he should own a lot of the offensive White Sox records. Great player!

Konerko still has a bit of a climb to catch Thomas is several categories. He is, however, already second in home runs. I'm pretty sure Paul is going to finish his White Sox career in the franchise's top two in terms of home runs, RBIs, doubles and extra-base hits.

The No. 14 will probably be retired someday. You look at the body of work, plus the unforgettable grand slam in the World Series, and it is headed in that direction.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Alas, no more "trade Paulie to the Angels" posts from me. It's like the end of an era. :redneck

In all seriousness, I really hope Paulie goes on a .300/40 HRs/.920 OPS tear for the rest of his career with the Sox.
He's about done.
I would have tried to deal him prior to Tuesday.

HITMEN OF 77
04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
He's about done.
I would have tried to deal him prior to Tuesday.

Teal? :?:

asg2003ws2005
04-29-2008, 03:43 PM
just great.

now we're STUCK with GIDPK

voodoochile
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM

No, you've got to understand, there's about 3 guys on the roster that all WSI posters agree should actually be on the team and that's only because TCQ had a good week.

No matter who we are talking about you can damned well believe someone is smarter than KW in terms of building a better first place team.

hi im skot
04-29-2008, 04:15 PM
just great.

Poor us.

:rolleyes:

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I want a better hitter in there and I'm quite sure Fields would be more productive in there now.
I realize he's a great guy and I used to cover him in high school in Scottsdale, but I cringed when they gave him that 5-year contract.
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this site, though.

Frontman
04-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Congrats there Cap'n.

Paulie just might be that member of the 2005 squad to stay with the Sox all the way until retirement; which could be cool.

Frontman
04-29-2008, 04:48 PM
I want a better hitter in there and I'm quite sure Fields would be more productive in there now.
I realize he's a great guy and I used to cover him in high school in Scottsdale, but I cringed when they gave him that 5-year contract.
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this site, though.

Even though Fields has logged, what? ZERO innings at first? Or how about him in Center, giving Nick Swisher 1B? Wait, how about the Angels taking Paulie, just so we can have Chone Figgins?

The Paulie hate amazes me sometimes. As a first baseman, he's 5th in the league with RBI's, tied 6th with home runs, 8th in walks; all while hitting a pretty low BA of .229. Paul has struck out 17 times, compared to Ryan Howard's whopping 37 Ks. If the Sox should of moved Paulie last week, Howard should of been moved as soon as possible!

TomBradley72
04-29-2008, 05:06 PM

Fields WILL be a great hitter...some day...but not today.

His OBP is .326 at AAA, and he has 30 strike outs in 84 ABs...over 500 ABs that equates to 180 strike outs/year at the AAA level.

Paulie is having one of his typical cold April starts...and still has a higher OBP (.365), half as many strike outs, and is on track to deliver ~120 RBI's this year. He'll have two more years on his contract after this year...I see no evidence of the steep decline you're describing...at a minimum, he'll be a very productive DH through 2010. He's not a perfect player...but has shown to be a good guy in the clubhouse, a leader on the field and a fan favorite while being one of the most productive hitters in the history of the franchise.

chisoxfanatic
04-29-2008, 08:34 PM
just great.

You did not just go there!!! :angry:

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Even though Fields has logged, what? ZERO innings at first? Or how about him in Center, giving Nick Swisher 1B? Wait, how about the Angels taking Paulie, just so we can have Chone Figgins?

The Paulie hate amazes me sometimes. As a first baseman, he's 5th in the league with RBI's, tied 6th with home runs, 8th in walks; all while hitting a pretty low BA of .229. Paul has struck out 17 times, compared to Ryan Howard's whopping 37 Ks. If the Sox should of moved Paulie last week, Howard should of been moved as soon as possible!
A third baseman should be able to learn 1B pretty quickly...
Konerko has stunk for quite some time now. He'll probably finish this season hitting about .241 with 27 homers and 82 RBI playing every day and that's not good enough for a contending team or a guy with a big contract an on a with a slugger like Fields able to do much, much better at the plate.
Konerko was a key reason this team was atrocious last year.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 08:50 PM

By the way, the Angels would never deal Figgins for Konerko.
Maybe 2-3 years ago. Those days are gone.

Sockinchisox
04-29-2008, 08:54 PM
By the way, the Angels would never deal Figgins for Konerko.
Maybe 2-3 years ago. Those days are gone.

Teal represents sarcasm here.

Daver
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
A third baseman should be able to learn 1B pretty quickly...
Konerko has stunk for quite some time now. He'll probably finish this season hitting about .241 with 27 homers and 82 RBI playing every day and that's not good enough for a contending team or a guy with a big contract an on a with a slugger like Fields able to do much, much better at the plate.
Konerko was a key reason this team was atrocious last year.

Check back with us when you find reality, it starts with an R if you don't know.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Fields WILL be a great hitter...some day...but not today.

His OBP is .326 at AAA, and he has 30 strike outs in 84 ABs...over 500 ABs that equates to 180 strike outs/year at the AAA level.

Paulie is having one of his typical cold April starts...and still has a higher OBP (.365), half as many strike outs, and is on track to deliver ~120 RBI's this year. He'll have two more years on his contract after this year...I see no evidence of the steep decline you're describing...at a minimum, he'll be a very productive DH through 2010. He's not a perfect player...but has shown to be a good guy in the clubhouse, a leader on the field and a fan favorite while being one of the most productive hitters in the history of the franchise.
Not sure if you know this, but Fields hit 23 homers and drove in 67 runs in 373 at bats in HIS ROOKIE SEASON...
That same year, Konerko hit 31 homers and drove in only 90 runs in 549 at bats while hitting in the middle of the order just about every single day with hitters around him...
The Sox currently have the organization's best hitter playing at AAA...
Konerko is quiet in the clubhouse, which is fine, and he doesn't go for this leadership crap, something I don't either...
He's a fan favorite for things he did a few years ago...
I'll gladly eat crow on here if he goes back to his '04 and '05 numbers...
I just don't see that happening.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Check back with us when you find reality, it starts with an R if you don't know.
Some of you are just easier to please on here, I guess...

Daver
04-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Some of you are just easier to please on here, I guess...

No, some of us do not judge the game by fantasy baseball results, try it sometime. The fact that you have no idea to judge what you are looking at has nothing to do with the game of baseball, the numbers will never lie to you.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 09:43 PM
No, some of us do not judge the game by fantasy baseball results, try it sometime. The fact that you have no idea to judge what you are looking at has nothing to do with the game of baseball, the numbers will never lie to you.
He stunk last year...
He stranded a million runners and managed only 90 RBI in a hitter's ballpark playing everyday...
He's probably on the down side and as of Tuesday, the Sox have him for two more years.
Reality starts with an 'R'.

Craig Grebeck
04-29-2008, 09:47 PM
My goodness man stop counting RBI as a valuable statistic. It means nothing.

I'll never understand how people will go balls to the wall for Joe Crede, but leave Konerko out to dry.

santo=dorf
04-29-2008, 09:54 PM
NADA SURF is becoming one of my favorite posters as it appears everyone disagrees with him, but he doesn't back down. :D: Yes, I think he's off his rocker too.

Frontman
04-29-2008, 10:11 PM
He stunk last year...
He stranded a million runners and managed only 90 RBI in a hitter's ballpark playing everyday...
He's probably on the down side and as of Tuesday, the Sox have him for two more years.

In what I call reality, Konerko hasn't had a million runners stranded in his entire career.......

He had 90 RBI's last season.

He played in 151 games, not all of them in a "hitters ballpark."

NADA, you obviously are passionate about your baseball; but you need to think before typing. A million is a bit of an over-exaggeration.

Oh, and Josh Fields? He played on the same team at the same time Konerko stranded "a million" runners.

Which meant Josh Fields also stranded "a million" runners.

Craig Grebeck
04-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Fields was good, for his first season. Will he ever produce at the level Konerko produced at last season? I'm not sure he has the skill-set -- and that was a down year for PK.

thomas35forever
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
If Paulie finishes his career with the Sox, what are the chances his number gets retired?

TomBradley72
04-29-2008, 10:33 PM
He stunk last year...

PK is 32....no reason he can't be a solid 1B/DH through 2010 (at least). I'm more worried with us be saddled with Thome next year. We need the flexibility to move either PK, Fields or Dye into the DH role in 2009.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Fields was good, for his first season. Will he ever produce at the level Konerko produced at last season? I'm not sure he has the skill-set -- and that was a down year for PK.
He was heading up on Konerko's numbers last year!
Mark this down. Aside for maybe this year since Fields may not even get up there, Konerko will never out-produce Fields from here on out.
If Fields gets up here by Mid-May and bats 400 times, he'll be right where Konerko is in homers and RBI and probably a higher average.

Craig Grebeck
04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
He was heading up on Konerko's numbers last year!
Mark this down. Aside for maybe this year since Fields may not even get up there, Konerko will never out-produce Fields from here on out.
If Fields gets up here by Mid-May and bats 400 times, he'll be right where Konerko is in homers and RBI and probably a higher average.
HR and RBI are not good statistics to use when evaluating a baseball player.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 10:53 PM
In what I call reality, Konerko hasn't had a million runners stranded in his entire career.......

He had 90 RBI's last season.

He played in 151 games, not all of them in a "hitters ballpark."

NADA, you obviously are passionate about your baseball; but you need to think before typing. A million is a bit of an over-exaggeration.

Oh, and Josh Fields? He played on the same team at the same time Konerko stranded "a million" runners.

Which meant Josh Fields also stranded "a million" runners.
Frontman, I really didn't mean that Konerko stranded a million runners. But it was more like 750,665 or something..My apologies.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM
HR and RBI are not good statistics to use when evaluating a baseball player.
I don't look at homers all that much. But I always look at RBI.
Does anyone at all agree with Grebeck that RBI don't mean much?
If so, please explain to me how RBI is not one of the most important things to look at.

Craig Grebeck
04-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't look at homers all that much. But I always look at RBI.
Does anyone at all agree with Grebeck that RBI don't mean much?
If so, please explain to me how RBI is not one of the most important things to look at.
RBI are faulty. If a player bats in a lineup where the players ahead of him are never on base (for a convenient example, 2007, when Paul Konerko had a 1-2 that consisted of players that wouldn't make the average neighborhood little league team grounding out to 2nd every AB), he can't be held accountable for the fact that no one was on base ahead of him. Better stats: OBP/OPS/RC/RC-27/OPS+/VORP/WARP3, etc.

oeo
04-29-2008, 11:01 PM
My goodness man stop counting RBI as a valuable statistic. It means nothing.

I'll never understand how people will go balls to the wall for Joe Crede, but leave Konerko out to dry.

Because Crede has Gold Gloves...oh wait...

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2008, 11:48 PM
The Sox currently have the organization's best hitter playing at AAA...Other than in fantasy baseball, there is more to being anyone's "best hitter" than home runs.

LoveYourSuit
04-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Didin't bother to read the entire thread, If Thomas could not retire wearing a Sox jersey than Paulie is expendable IMO.

Players will waive this 5/10 for a chance to win again. Paulie will end up West one of these years.

JB98
04-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Not sure if you know this, but Fields hit 23 homers and drove in 67 runs in 373 at bats in HIS ROOKIE SEASON...
That same year, Konerko hit 31 homers and drove in only 90 runs in 549 at bats while hitting in the middle of the order just about every single day with hitters around him...
The Sox currently have the organization's best hitter playing at AAA...
Konerko is quiet in the clubhouse, which is fine, and he doesn't go for this leadership crap, something I don't either...
He's a fan favorite for things he did a few years ago...
I'll gladly eat crow on here if he goes back to his '04 and '05 numbers...
I just don't see that happening.

****, I thought Konerko had his best year ever in 2006. He had three consecutive very good years from 2004-06. Last year was a down year for Paul and several others, no question.

As for Fields, where did he bat in the order last year? That's right: Second. Guess who was hitting behind him: Jim ****ing Thome. Thome, not Fields, is the best hitter in the Sox organization.

Don't ****ing tell me that Konerko had hitters around him and Fields did not. That's bull****, and you know it. Fields had A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER protecting him in the lineup when he did a good chunk of his damage in the second half of 2007.

The notion that Josh Fields is the best hitter in the organization is the most ludicrous thing I have ever read here at WSI, and that's saying something.

NADA SURF
04-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Other than in fantasy baseball, there is more to being anyone's "best hitter" than home runs.
RBI, too.
You're all gonna look bad once this kid gets up for good.

NADA SURF
04-30-2008, 01:53 AM
RBI are faulty. If a player bats in a lineup where the players ahead of him are never on base (for a convenient example, 2007, when Paul Konerko had a 1-2 that consisted of players that wouldn't make the average neighborhood little league team grounding out to 2nd every AB), he can't be held accountable for the fact that no one was on base ahead of him. Better stats: OBP/OPS/RC/RC-27/OPS+/VORP/WARP3, etc.

Jim Thome drove in 96 runs in about 120 fewer at bats than Paulie last year with those two awful hitters up at the top.

NADA SURF
04-30-2008, 01:56 AM
****, I thought Konerko had his best year ever in 2006. He had three consecutive very good years from 2004-06. Last year was a down year for Paul and several others, no question.

As for Fields, where did he bat in the order last year? That's right: Second. Guess who was hitting behind him: Jim ****ing Thome. Thome, not Fields, is the best hitter in the Sox organization.

Don't ****ing tell me that Konerko had hitters around him and Fields did not. That's bull****, and you know it. Fields had A FUTURE HALL OF FAMER protecting him in the lineup when he did a good chunk of his damage in the second half of 2007.

The notion that Josh Fields is the best hitter in the organization is the most ludicrous thing I have ever read here at WSI, and that's saying something.
Ya know...I didn't mean to give some of you guys ****-ing heart attacks on here. Yours is the funniest reply yet.
Thanks for the laughs.

ilsox7
04-30-2008, 02:04 AM
Ya know...I didn't mean to give some of you guys ****-ing heart attacks on here. Yours is the funniest reply yet.
Thanks for the laughs.

What are your thoughts on DLS? Lock for the Hall of Fame?

NADA SURF
04-30-2008, 02:16 AM
What are your thoughts on DLS? Lock for the Hall of Fame?
What is DLS?

asg2003ws2005
04-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Reality is the staggering ammount of DOUBLE PLAYS Konerko hits into. So what if he get 35 homers a year! He kills more rallys than even Juan Uribe.

NADA SURF
04-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Reality is the staggering ammount of DOUBLE PLAYS Konerko hits into. So what if he get 35 homers a year! He kills more rallys than even Juan Uribe.
I have NOT EVEN MENTIONED his speed and ability to hit into DPs in critical situations.
I actually like the guy, but I dread the thought of him clogging 1B for another two years AFTER this year.