PDA

View Full Version : Do Hawk and Steve Stone really not like each other?

Soxfanspcu11
04-28-2008, 11:06 PM
We all know that Steve Stone has joined the Sox broadcasting crew as Farmio's partner on 670.

We all also probably know about the many rumors that say Stoney will be replacing DJ in the booth next season.

So, assumming that that happens, how will that work out???

Over the years, it has seemed that Hawk and Stone have not exactly been that fond of each other.

I remember a specific incident in 2003 when some station did a piece on what it would be like if the Sox and scrubs met in the World Series (because they were both in first place at the time).

They interviewed Hawk first and he said, "I would love for the Sox and cubs to meet in the World Series. If only for the fact that we would kick their butts!"

The reporter then asked Stone about that particular comment and Steve replied with, "Ken Harrelson has been sticking his foot in his mouth ever since he got a forumn to do so. When it comes to baseball, he has no idea what he is talking about".

I have also heard other stories over the years that they really don't seem to be very fond of one another. So, if Stone does replace DJ in the booth (which I hope DOES NOT happen by the way) how will that work out?? Will they bury the hatchet and move on? Or are we going to be stuck with 162 games of constant insulting of one another back and forth and back and forth???

Thoughts???

JB98
04-28-2008, 11:12 PM
We all know that Steve Stone has joined the Sox broadcasting crew as Farmio's partner on 670.

We all also probably know about the many rumors that say Stoney will be replacing DJ in the booth next season.

So, assumming that that happens, how will that work out???

Over the years, it has seemed that Hawk and Stone have not exactly been that fond of each other.

I remember a specific incident in 2003 when some station did a piece on what it would be like if the Sox and scrubs met in the World Series (because they were both in first place at the time).

They interviewed Hawk first and he said, "I would love for the Sox and cubs to meet in the World Series. If only for the fact that we would kick their butts!"

The reporter then asked Stone about that particular comment and Steve replied with, "Ken Harrelson has been sticking his foot in his mouth ever since he got a forumn to do so. When it comes to baseball, he has no idea what he is talking about".

I have also heard other stories over the years that they really don't seem to be very fond of one another. So, if Stone does replace DJ in the booth (which I hope DOES NOT happen by the way) how will that work out?? Will they bury the hatchet and move on? Or are we going to be stuck with 162 games of constant insulting of one another back and forth and back and forth???

Thoughts???

I had never heard this story you just related before. But I can't imagine there is that much animosity between them, otherwise there is no way Hawk would have let Stoney in the booth with him last August.

Lip Man 1
04-29-2008, 12:59 AM
I have heard from two sources that they do not care for each other. That's all I know about it.

Lip

hawkjt
04-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I have to admit that I find that Stoney makes the radio call much more listenable ..even with Farmio still in the booth. I hope the Sox keep Stoney around in either capacity for awhile. As a franchise ,they are announcer talent challenged as it is and so they should not lose Stoney. As far as working with Hawk...if they do not get along..it will not happen, hopefully. The last thing we need is a sulking Hawk in the booth. That happens enough when the sox play bad or lose.

Meixner007
04-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I would have to believe Lip because I know him to be a credible person, however when The Stone Pony joined Hawk last year for a few games they seemed to mesh just fine.

It could have been showmanship or the fact that it was just a few games though.

ksimpson14
04-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I've heard Hawk is the reason Stone is not in the TV booth now

I have never heard that Stone quote though, are you sure about that, I would think it'd make bigger news

oeo
04-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Stone won't replace DJ because DJ kisses Hawk's ass, which means that he'll be here for a long time.

Meixner007
04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Stone won't replace DJ because DJ kisses Hawk's ass, which means that he'll be here for a long time.

:DJ

"Oh yeah. That's right partner."

/constant slurping of Hawk

jdm2662
04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Hawk's ego is too big for Stone to be in the booth. You know, because Stone is an actual broadcaster that talks about the game. Hawk and Stone did work well together last year, but I don't doubt what Lip said one bit. The day Harrleson steps down from the broadcast booth will be a great day for Sox fans.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
The day Harrleson steps down from the broadcast booth will be a great day for Sox fans.You don't speak for all Sox fans.

areilly
04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
You don't speak for all Sox fans.

Speaks for me.

jdm2662
04-29-2008, 11:19 AM

Ok how about half of them or so because this board seems to be 50/50 on the issue. It sure as hell would be a great day for me, and I used to be a big fan of his in the early 90s.

103 screwball
04-29-2008, 11:30 AM
DJ will replace Hawk. Stone will replace DJ. They will be my ideal situation. I love Hawk. When he is ready to retire, DJ will be a fine play by play guy. He's really good on Fox. He has gotten much better as the years have passed. Stone has already established himself as an outstanding color guy. He will make DJ look even better. Now, DJ still needs a good home run call. UHH-OOHH was starting to grow on me. What happened to that?

HitMan_naMtiH
04-29-2008, 11:41 AM
This is a bit off topic but....Did anyone hear what Stone said about the weather and it getting "lighter" at the stadium? It was pretty funny.. Farmer had to cut to a station ID break he was laughing so hard.

Meixner007
04-29-2008, 11:43 AM
When he is ready to retire, DJ will be a fine play by play guy. He's really good on Fox. He has gotten much better as the years have passed.

Are you on crack? DJ is tolerable, barely, during national tv broadcasts, but when he does pbp in the middle of the game he is like Fingernails on a blackboard.

oeo
04-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Are you on crack? DJ is tolerable, barely, during national tv broadcasts, but when he does pbp in the middle of the game he is like Fingernails on a blackboard.

It actually seems like he's doing more PBP than Hawk this year (although PBP between these two is just who talks more...there is hardly ever any actual PBP). And I agree, it's terrible. Maybe putting a guy like Stone in there with him would change things, though.

alohafri
04-29-2008, 11:47 AM
This is a bit off topic but....Did anyone hear what Stone said about the weather and it getting "lighter" at the stadium? It was pretty funny.. Farmer had to cut to a station ID break he was laughing so hard.

Despite all of the letters earlier in the season to the contrary, I find Farmer and Stoney meshing very well.

HitMan_naMtiH
04-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Despite all of the letters earlier in the season to the contrary, I find Farmer and Stoney meshing very well.
No doubt they're meshing but what Stone said was pretty funny. :D:

WisSoxFan
04-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Count me in as one of those who is looking forward to Hawk calling it a career. If I have to hear about Alvin Dark one more time I'm throwing something at the TV.

I don't think Stone has a great voice, but he sure know his baseball and because of that is a pleasure to listen to.

Droso5
04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Count me in as one of those who is looking forward to Hawk calling it a career. If I have to hear about Alvin Dark one more time I'm throwing something at the TV.

I don't think Stone has a great voice, but he sure know his baseball and because of that is a pleasure to listen to.

I took that approach for many things concerning the "Hawkaroo"...and now I've gone through several TVs.:bandance::angry::happybday

Chilli Palmer
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Speaks for me.

Ok how about half of them or so because this board seems to be 50/50 on the issue. It sure as hell would be a great day for me, and I used to be a big fan of his in the early 90s.

I have totally muted all TV broadcasts. The day Hawk is gone will be a glorious one. Eventhough Farmer sucks, Stone actually makes the broadcasts on AM 670 tolerable. If I hear one more story about Yaz and the '67 pennant race I will regurgitate my last meal.

TomBradley72
04-29-2008, 01:31 PM

I agree.

DJ is below acceptable as a major league announcer...slightly better than Singleton...Hawk has become a caricature of himself..but I still like him. If DJ left tomorrow I couldn't even come up with a single post for an "Appreciation Thread"...other than "good luck". I'd take Stoney, Tommy John, McDowell, Ventura,...anyone other than DJ. (except Early Wynn)

October26
04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, I'm in the group of people that actually likes Farmer, Stone and Hawk. DJ is the one that grates on my last nerve. Not sure why - he annoys me just like Singleton used to. I have nothing against either Singleton or DJ, I just don't like the way they do play by play. I actually like Singleton on Baseball Tonight and I think DJ does a nice job on the Fox broadcasts.

I enjoyed Hawk and Stone Poney on TV last year and I would really like it if Stone went from the radio booth to the TV book in the 4th-5th-6th inning. I am one of those strange people that likes to listen to the radio for a bit, then turn on the tv for a bit and then maybe switch back to the radio. This is usually because I am occupied with various family activities and can't devote 3 hours to sit in front of the TV.

Optipessimism
04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Stone seems to be pretty cocky guy; he definitely has an ego and is not afraid to say something that goes against the grain of the organization as long as it is based in truth. Stone can challenge another person to a debate sounding like a know-it-all (and he is one, actually) and this can frustrate a lot of other baseball people I'm sure. Stone keeps his focus on baseball at all times, and his stories are short and to the point.

Hawk doesn't like to be challenged and will take a debate personal, especially coming from someone as cocky as Stone. I also think that Hawk doesn't appreciate the dry humor and sarcasm that is Stone's bread and butter, not only doesn't he appreciate it but he doesn't like it at all. Hawk likes someone who goes along with everything he says for the most part, with nothing more than a very polite disagreement here or there. Hawk likes to tell the same redundant stories with frequent painfully long pauses that often take more than a half inning to tell.

Stone fits better with Farmer because Farmer is also a guy who uses a lot of sarcasm and dry humor. Farmer and Stone both have tougher personalities. Hawk works better with DJ because DJ both have that easy-going mentality and don't disagree much at all.

But, it's a shame really. Hawk and Stone, for that week or so they were together, were amazing as a tandem. They both played to each other's strengths perfectly and negated each other's weaknesses. Hawk's stories were shorter and to the point; his focus was on baseball because Stone kept it there. Stone couldn't be boring to listen to because of his lack of emotion; Hawk kept the mood lively. It was the perfect combination of Hawk's energy, homerism, and trademark calls and Stone's strict, unbiased baseball discussion and analysis. The game was centered around both teams yet passionate towards only the home team. I honestly felt Stone and Hawk were a better combo than Rooney and Farmer had been, or any combo I'd ever listened to, and I think it's sad that their personalities won't let them get along.

Optipessimism
04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Well, I'm in the group of people that actually likes Farmer, Stone and Hawk. DJ is the one that grates on my last nerve. Not sure why - he annoys me just like Singleton used to. I have nothing against either Singleton or DJ, I just don't like the way they do play by play. I actually like Singleton on Baseball Tonight and I think DJ does a nice job on the Fox broadcasts.

I enjoyed Hawk and Stone Poney on TV last year and I would really like it if Stone went from the radio booth to the TV book in the 4th-5th-6th inning. I am one of those strange people that likes to listen to the radio for a bit, then turn on the tv for a bit and then maybe switch back to the radio. This is usually because I am occupied with various family activities and can't devote 3 hours to sit in front of the TV.
DJ rides on Hawk's coattails and Singleton did the same when he was here. Not that they are bad announcers in themselves, but when anyone's personality is so dominated by someone else it's hard for a listener to become attached to that person.

Hawk and Stone worked so well because it was two extremes that came together in the perfect middle.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I would think that Hawk doesn't get along with other baseball people because his speaking tone comes off sounding like Foghorn Leghorn. Instead of talking to people he kinda talks down. That is why he works best when he has someone who doesn't really challenge him. Tom Paciorek could only take it for so long.

Anyway, this kind of reminds me of Hawk. Go to the 3:01 time marker and it sounds like Hawk talking baseball.
XCb9lh3nVd0

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
I have heard from two sources that they do not care for each other. That's all I know about it.

Lip
I don't think he cares for DJ, either.
If I took over tomorrow, Paciorek would be back with Hawk.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
DJ will replace Hawk. Stone will replace DJ. They will be my ideal situation. I love Hawk. When he is ready to retire, DJ will be a fine play by play guy. He's really good on Fox. He has gotten much better as the years have passed. Stone has already established himself as an outstanding color guy. He will make DJ look even better. Now, DJ still needs a good home run call. UHH-OOHH was starting to grow on me. What happened to that?
You have got to be kidding me?
DJ calling a game is similar to Early Wynn.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 02:42 PM

I love older broadcasters. I think all of them should be at least 65 with part senility to hold that job...They are usually a riot with their old stories. The game is usually too dull...
Today's younger announcers usually suck, although the guy the Cubs have (don't kill me) is actually pretty good.
I still think DeWayne Staats is the best of them all.

Paulwny
04-29-2008, 03:11 PM
You have got to be kidding me?
DJ calling a game is similar to Early Wynn.

Early Wynn has to be the worst announcer I have ever heard.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 03:42 PM

You would have to force Paciorek in there because he ain't going in there voluntarily. Paciorek hated being called "Wimpy" and that was all Hawk's doing.

hawkjt
04-29-2008, 03:43 PM
I think a good crew will strike a balance between some short colorful stories and focusing on the action on the field. It can get way outta hand when Hawk starts rambling and DJ eggs him on...which is what happened in the Saturday first game....I know the sox only got 3 hits but omigod...they went whole innnings without noting the on field action more than in passing. I was thinking if a fan of another team listened to them...they would be astonished at how it had devolved into just a barroom conversation about the good ole days... I like Hawk but he has to be reined in sometimes.

kaufsox
04-29-2008, 03:48 PM

I agree that DJ sounds better on FOX, but it is strictly as a color guy. I don't think he would make a good every day PBP guy, even with Stone in the booth. When Wills' contract is up in TB, make an offer.

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
You would have to force Paciorek in there because he ain't going in there voluntarily. Paciorek hated being called "Wimpy" and that was all Hawk's doing.
You sure about that?
Hawk called him that all the time and they seemed to get along quite well...
I heard the reason Paciorek left was because Reinsdorf wanted him to do more homework and be a bit less of a comic in there.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 04:50 PM
You sure about that?
Hawk called him that all the time and they seemed to get along quite well...
I heard the reason Paciorek left was because Reinsdorf wanted him to do more homework and be a bit less of a comic in there.

Paciorek hated that name, that's why for a while he had Hawk call him "The Duke" and that came about when Paciorek was reading a promo for a John Wayne film that was going to be shown on WGN. Irregardless, if Paciorek didn't like the name he wasn't about to create a scene on air where everyone could hear him.

gogosox16
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Hawk's ego is too big for Stone to be in the booth. You know, because Stone is an actual broadcaster that talks about the game. Hawk and Stone did work well together last year, but I don't doubt what Lip said one bit. The day Harrleson steps down from the broadcast booth will be a great day for Sox fans.
even though Hawk pisses me off, sometimes talking about his playing time....he's the only announcer for the Sox I have ever heard and it would be very awkward for a while not being able to listen to him.....if I'm correct Hawk signed a 3 year deal before this year and when that contract is over, I believe he will retire

Steelrod
04-29-2008, 05:03 PM
He definately doesn't care for Paciorek either!

shingo10
04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't get this at all. Last year, Stoney had nothing but praise for Hawk when he returned to the Score after the week of games they did together. He said something along the lines of his personal and professional opinion of Hawk changing.

I also don't understand all the criticism leveled at Hawk and DJ. They provide an entertaining broadcast and are easy to listen to. And despite what has been said, DJ has definitely showed that he is not afraid to stand up to Hawk. Hence the nickname "feisty."

Frontman
04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Harrelson is the kind of broadcaster that you either love or hate. I enjoy him, but I can see where he drives folks nuts.

I have a feeling Stone is only in the booth now because the Sox were left in a lurch and Steve got to name his asking price to step up that quickly. I'm not 100% certain he'll be a part of the broadcast team come next season.

asg2003ws2005
04-29-2008, 05:23 PM
wasnt wimpy his nickname from his youth?

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
wasnt wimpy his nickname from his youth?

Any chance that Lip can conduct an interview with Mr. Paciorek so he can ask him that for us?

GBORN
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Harrelson is the kind of broadcaster that you either love or hate. I enjoy him, but I can see where he drives folks nuts.

I like him too, though I'm the first to make fun of his rambles and quotes. Apparently, we've all learned a lot from him though. :D:

Lip Man 1
04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Veeck and all:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3523

Wimpy came from his minor league days (as he explains in the interview)

Tom also offered some other information which he asked not to share. All I'll say is that relations between Tom and Hawk were strained and I can't see Tom getting back into the business for anyone ever after what he said in his interview.

Nada:

That explanation was bogus. It doesn't take an organization almost ten years to "discover" that one of their broadcasters wasn't doing his homework. Read Tom's interview for more.

Lip

VeeckAsInWreck
04-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Veeck and all:

Tom also offered some other information which he asked not to share. All I'll say is that relations between Tom and Hawk were strained and I can't see Tom getting back into the business for anyone ever after what he said in his interview.

Nada:

That explanation was bogus. It doesn't take an organization almost ten years to "discover" that one of their broadcasters wasn't doing his homework. Read Tom's interview for more.

Lip

Thanks Lip, I wasn't sure if you had already done an interview with him. Guess I should have looked at the archives first. :redface:

NADA SURF
04-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Veeck and all:

Nada:

Lip
I've always felt that argument about Paciorek not doing his homework or whatever was quite bogus, too...
I'd like to really know what happened there...
As for the Wimpy thing, I'm sure Paciorek would have just told Hawk, 'Hey, bud, quit calling me Wimpy."
Paciorek liked being called Wimpy, I think.
Hawk and Wimpy seemed to get along very well.
DJ is afraid of Hawk.

Grzegorz
04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
I have a feeling Stone is only in the booth now because the Sox were left in a lurch and Steve got to name his asking price to step up that quickly. I'm not 100% certain he'll be a part of the broadcast team come next season.

I for one sure hope that Steve Stone is part of the Chicago White Sox broadcasting team for a long time.

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2008, 11:57 PM
You would have to force Paciorek in there because he ain't going in there voluntarily. Paciorek hated being called "Wimpy" and that was all Hawk's doing.He was called Wimpy (for eating hamburgers while the rich "bonus babies" had steaks) long before he ever met Hawk.