PDA

View Full Version : The Big Hurt with a triple!?!?

JermaineDye05
04-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Just saw this on the ESPN scoreboard updates, and confirmed it on gameday. Wow, when was his last triple?

DSpivack
04-28-2008, 10:22 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x149/colbycole/ralph_wiggum_6_3825_2201_thumb.gif

That's unpossible!

HomeFish
04-28-2008, 10:23 PM
If Paul Konerko has an inside the parker, Thomas can have a triple.

DSpivack
04-28-2008, 10:25 PM
BTW, in 19 seasons, he's had 11, none since 2002.

SoxGirl4Life
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Just saw this on the ESPN scoreboard updates, and confirmed it on gameday. Wow, when was his last triple?

And it was off Jon Garland

Lip Man 1
04-28-2008, 10:41 PM
The very first hit in Frank's career was a triple:

August 2, 1990- In the first game of a double header Frank Thomas makes his major league debut in Milwaukee. He goes 0-4 in his first game. The next night Big Frank narrowly misses a home run in the 7th inning when his line shot hits the top of the wall in right field and goes for a triple. It would be his first major league hit.

Lip

ondafarm
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Frank Thomas had a triple in April 2002 at Jacobs Field. Wednesday April 24th. Here's the box score. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=220424105)
The pitcher was David Riske.

soxstarter
04-28-2008, 11:04 PM
And it was off Jon Garland

Ahh, the irony:rolleyes:

doublem23
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
:hawk
I loooove when ex-Sox go head-to-head, Fiesty.

DumpJerry
04-28-2008, 11:24 PM
He hit a home run off Garland on his first return to Comiskey in '06.

I guess that Cabrera for Garland trade was a good one.

JermaineDye05
04-28-2008, 11:33 PM

I say it's a stale mate right now, as Cabrera hasn't done too much on offense. He has helped us win a couple games, and played some heads up D.

JB98
04-28-2008, 11:45 PM

Jury is out.

Truthfully, I think both teams are a little disappointed at this point. Cabrera has not performed up to his capabilities. Neither has Garland.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-28-2008, 11:46 PM
The game is now in the bottom of the 5th, and with four Oakland ABs left, Frank could bat two more times.

Having the triple and single down, and six years between triples, one has to think this might be Frank's last chance at hitting for the cycle!

DSpivack
04-28-2008, 11:50 PM
The game is now in the bottom of the 5th, and with four Oakland ABs left, Frank could bat two more times.

Having the triple and single down, and six years between triples, one has to think this might be Frank's last chance at hitting for the cycle!

With 12 career triples now, I'm guessing he's never hit for the cycle?

DSpivack
04-29-2008, 12:05 AM
He just doubled, ending Jon Garland's night.

EndemicSox
04-29-2008, 12:07 AM
So, how the heck did it happen? Did a screeching line drive kill the Torri Hunter?

JB98
04-29-2008, 12:08 AM
He just doubled, ending Jon Garland's night.

He needs a homer for the cycle.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-29-2008, 12:09 AM
He needs a homer for the cycle.

They just pinch-ran for Frank - what is going on? What are they thinking??

DSpivack

I don't know, and the next batter HRs. :angry:

JermaineDye05
So, how the heck did it happen? Did a screeching line drive kill the Torri Hunter?

It was like a pop up to Vlad, I didn't see more because baseball tonight decided to show an update from the Cardinals game.

JB98

Yeah, I was just coming back to this thread to post news of the pinch-runner. Interesting move, to say the least. :scratch:

DSpivack
04-29-2008, 12:10 AM
It was like a pop up to Vlad, I didn't see more because baseball tonight decided to show an update from the Cardinals game.

Line drive shot off the bat to the wall in left-center.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Frank's double gave him 490 for his career, and tied him with Mickey Vernon for #52 on the all-time list. Heinie Manush is next at #51 with 491.

JermaineDye05
04-29-2008, 12:11 AM

They had a big enough lead too, what the heck??

JermaineDye05
04-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Line drive shot off the bat to the wall in left-center.

The triple for Frank was what I was talking about, I didn't see a line drive.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-29-2008, 12:13 AM
They had a big enough lead too, what the heck??

It's like pulling a pitcher with a no-hitter on the line.

JermaineDye05
04-29-2008, 12:14 AM
It's like pulling a pitcher with a no-hitter on the line.

Yeah that's just plain stupid.

DSpivack
04-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Frank's double gave him 490 for his career, and tied him with Mickey Vernon for #52 on the all-time list. Heinie Manush is next at #51 with 491.

What a great name.

The triple for Frank was what I was talking about, I didn't see a line drive.

Oh, haha, I was thinking of the double he had just hit.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-29-2008, 12:19 AM
What a great name.

Here's a card that I actually do have -

http://www.mikewheatcards.com/cards/413729.jpg

Nellie_Fox
04-29-2008, 12:20 AM
The triple for Frank was what I was talking about, I didn't see a line drive.I was watching on Extra Innings. He hit a soft looper down the right field line. Vlad was playing Frank well over in right center, so he had a long run. It dropped just in front of him and got past him, while his momentum carried him well past the ball before he could get turned around and go after it. Meanwhile, Frank kept chugging.

I'm pissed they took Frank out needing only the homer for the cycle.

Vernam
04-29-2008, 12:23 AM
It's like pulling a pitcher with a no-hitter on the line.I'm not exactly disagreeing, but I always thought hitting for the cycle was one of the dumbest baseball accomplishments. Why should it be more noteworthy than a homer, a single, and two triples? I thought it was cool recently when Conor Jackson of AZ ran out his second triple rather than "hold himself" to a double for the cycle. That would've been lame as hell.

Still, seeing Big Frank go for it at his age would've been special.

Vernam

DSpivack
04-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm not exactly disagreeing, but I always thought hitting for the cycle was one of the dumbest baseball accomplishments. Why should it be more noteworthy than a homer, a single, and two triples? I thought it was cool recently when Conor Jackson of AZ ran out his second triple rather than "hold himself" to a double for the cycle. That would've been lame as hell.

Vernam

Frank is not a guy who gets chances like that often, and this is probably the last chance he'll get to do that. He gets the first three, including hardest part of it, and they him out just needing a HR. :angry:

Navarro's Talent
04-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Man, what were the A's thinking? I'd love to see Frank hit for the cycle.

JermaineDye05
04-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Frank is not a guy who gets chances like that often, and this is probably the last chance he'll get to do that. He gets the first three, including hardest part of it, and they him out just needing a HR. :angry:

Probably would have had a second ab that inning too. Tough luck for Frank.

JB98
04-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Probably would have had a second ab that inning too. Tough luck for Frank.

The guy who pinch-ran has already had an AB.

Arkham
04-29-2008, 12:40 AM
I would rather he have got the chance, but I think i can see Oakland's perspective. Having Frank run in a game that was over is just asking for trouble. That's the kind of hubris the baseball gods strike you down for. Even if he just hurts himself a little, he could miss the rest of a 4-game series against their division rivals.

DSpivack
04-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I would rather he have got the chance, but I think i can see Oakland's perspective. Having Frank run in a game that was over is just asking for trouble. That's the kind of hubris the baseball gods strike you down for. Even if he just hurts himself a little, he could miss the rest of a 4-game series against their division rivals.

He already was on first and on third earlier in the game, plus the batter after him in the 7th HRed.

doublem23
04-29-2008, 12:58 AM
I say it's a stale mate right now, as Cabrera hasn't done too much on offense. He has helped us win a couple games, and played some heads up D.

Yes, but moving Garland out of the rotation opened up a spot for Gavin Floyd, who has been arguably the best starter so far this season.

TDog
04-29-2008, 03:15 AM
On Sunday, Thomas had only an infield single, which on the face of it seems an unlikely thing. Apparently Thomas needed to face Garland to start hitting.

doublem23
04-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Considering how Jon has started this season (http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/garlajo01.shtml), it looks like everybody is jump starting their bat against him.

ondafarm
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm not exactly disagreeing, but I always thought hitting for the cycle was one of the dumbest baseball accomplishments. Why should it be more noteworthy than a homer, a single, and two triples? I thought it was cool recently when Conor Jackson of AZ ran out his second triple rather than "hold himself" to a double for the cycle. That would've been lame as hell.

Vernam

As a hitter, batting for the cycle demonstrates your complete mastery of the art of hitting. Hitting in professional baseball is a quirky thing. You can do everything right and still wear the collar and you can do everything wrong and go 6 for 6. Instruction, technique and practice all will help you over the long run, but results over the short run are totally unpredicatble.

One year going into the playoffs I was wearing the 0-28 collar (matched my jersey number.) That's a long time between hits. I did have two sac flies during that time but everybody was questioning me. My teammates were steering reporters away from interviewing me and my manager said "He still calls the finest game I've ever seen." First playoff game I struck out the first time and the opposing catcher, who'd seen "Mr Baseball" mockingly said "Shooto" to me. He came up next inning and we knocked him down twice before he grounded out weakly. The next time up I led off and he knocked me down with the first pitch and then tried to deke me with moving his feet as if he was coming inside. But I knew he was aiming for the outside corner and low so I just slapped it over the infield for a nice little single. After that, I was 12 for my next 13 as we took that series four games to one. Sometimes hitting is just freaky like that.

santo=dorf
04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, but moving Garland out of the rotation opened up a spot for Gavin Floyd, who has been arguably the best starter so far this season.
So what? That doesn't mean we should have dumped him for an overrated, overpaid shortstop, especially when we already had one available at the time.

If the Sox traded Mark Buehrle for scraps just to open up a spot for Broadway to pitch, and Lance pitched great for one month, you wouldn't possibly conclude it was good that the Sox traded Buehrle for nothing just for the sake of getting another pitcher some playing time.

doublem23
04-29-2008, 09:41 AM
So what? That doesn't mean we should have dumped him for an overrated, overpaid shortstop, especially when we already had one available at the time.

If the Sox traded Mark Buehrle for scraps just to open up a spot for Broadway to pitch, and Lance pitched great for one month, you wouldn't possibly conclude it was good that the Sox traded Buehrle for nothing just for the sake of getting another pitcher some playing time.

How do you know Jon was a hot commodity on the open market?

P.S., yes dumping a guy with an ERA approaching 6 is a good move, almost regardless of who you bring back for him. If we could magically "undo" the Garland-Cabrera trade, I'm pretty confident the Sox wouldn't be sitting in first place on April 29.

balke
04-29-2008, 10:23 AM
I like the Uribe/Cabrera combo up the middle. Uribe has affected big time 2 games offensively this season. I'll take a crap hitter who can hit on days when noone else can if his defense is that good.

Cabrera will hit. He's going to win the Sox a bunch of games too. He has further added to the patient plate approach the Sox are winning with so far. I believe the Sox are tied for second in the AL for pitches per plate appearance.

hawkjt
04-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Lets see how both Garland and Orlando are doing in August. I think both players will be close to their usual fine seasons.

Orlando's struggles at the plate are puzzling...almost like the inability to hit for average on the sox is infectious. He hit what? .320 last year...I look for him to heat up soon.

PorkChopExpress
04-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Apparently Thomas needed to face Garland to start hitting.

It worked for him in '06. I believe he launched two HR's off of Jon and proceeded to put up numbers putting him in the running for MVP after that.

Foulke You
04-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Lets see how both Garland and Orlando are doing in August. I think both players will be close to their usual fine seasons.

Orlando's struggles at the plate are puzzling...almost like the inability to hit for average on the sox is infectious. He hit what? .320 last year...I look for him to heat up soon.
I look for Cabrera's bat to heat up with the weather. In the meantime, I like the injection of "baseball smarts" that Cabrera brings to the table. He is a very smart ballplayer and a heads up baserunner in the same vein as Jose Valentin. That defensive play he made yesterday getting Adam Jones rounding 3rd base was exactly the type of play that wouldn't have been made last year. Those type of plays win you ballgames.

esbrechtel
04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I love big frank and cannot wait to see his statue at The Cell....

Flight #24
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
FWLIW, rotoworld had this to say, less about Garland and more about KW knowing how to sell at the right time.

MOD EDIT: Please stop pasting copyrighted material to our boards. Provide a link or paraphrase, but you may not directly reproduce copyrighted text here.

Nice to see KW get a tiny bit of credit for knowing something.

EDIT: Oops. Rotoworld said something like "Maybe Kenny Williams again got rid of a pitcher at the right time".

Vernam
04-30-2008, 01:34 AM
As a hitter, batting for the cycle demonstrates your complete mastery of the art of hitting. Hitting in professional baseball is a quirky thing. You can do everything right and still wear the collar and you can do everything wrong and go 6 for 6. Instruction, technique and practice all will help you over the long run, but results over the short run are totally unpredicatble. Complete mastery on one day can be hard to distinguish from luck. I do concede that hitting for the cycle is better than going 3 for four, unless a couple of those hits are homers, which would help the team more but probably not do as much to excite Karl Ravech.

It's obviously not sheer luck, but the cycle is enough of a fluke that I don't care about it. :shrug: Still, seeing a near 40-year-old and near 300-pounder do it would've been cool. That's about the extent of my interest.

Vernam