PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Rules Question

Madvora
04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Is a pitcher required to sit in the dugout between innings?

Not very likely, but if a pitcher wants to keep warm while his team is up to bat, can he go out to the bullpen and keep tossing?

If this is allowed, has this ever happened?

BadBobbyJenks
04-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Is a pitcher required to sit in the dugout between innings?

Not very likely, but if a pitcher wants to keep warm while his team is up to bat, can he go out to the bullpen and keep tossing?

If this is allowed, has this ever happened?

I would imagine it is allowed. Designated hitters go into the tunnel to hit so I dont see why pitchers could not do the same.

Ex-Chicagoan
04-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I think they'd have to do it in the tunnel out of sight.

Rule 3.17 states: "Players and substitutes of both teams shall confine themselves to their team's benches unless actually participating in the play or preparing to enter the game, or coaching at first or third base."

So, I guess it's a matter of interpretation: a player already in the game cannot prepare to enter it, at least not in sight of the umpire(s).

soxfan13
04-29-2008, 11:33 AM

Rule 3.17 states: "Players and substitutes of both teams shall confine themselves to their team's benches unless actually participating in the play or preparing to enter the game, or coaching at first or third base."

So, I guess it's a matter of interpretation: a player already in the game cannot prepare to enter it, at least not in sight of the umpire(s).

If you go further to rule 4.12 and 4.13 on suspended games it states that a player not on the roster at the time of a suspnded game can be used when the game resumes.

ondafarm
04-29-2008, 01:28 PM

I think this rule is always subject to a little interpretation. I knew guys who would go into the tunnel to do a little stretching especially during extended delays or rallys. Naturally, you could run to the bathroom during your half of the inning if you weren't batting. As for actually going to the bullpen, even if it was very close to the dugout, I never saw it. Never knew if this was strictly forbidden though.

TDog
04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
A pitcher is allowed to warm up in the bullpen before entering the game defensively. That is, if the visiting team is taking a long time to get out of the bottom of the first, the visiting pitcher can go back to the bullpen to warm up. I have seen that. I have also seen starting pitchers who stay in the bullpen until it is there time to begin pitching.

But it has always been my understanding that pitchers were not allowed to throw between innings after entering the game. Designated hitters apparently go to an indoor cage between at bats if there is such access. I don't know if it is within the letter of the rule, but they sometimes do.