PDA

View Full Version : Going 5 above .500

sox230
04-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Today will be our fourth chance to go 5 games above .500 and as we are currently down 1-0 and can't buy a run, this got me thinking: Are the White Sox for real as a contender? Beng 4 games above .500 is pretty good, but if you look around the majors, the good teams have really distanced themselves from the .500 barrier. We can't seem to get 5 games above .500, which is to me, a sign that this team might not be that good.

doublem23
04-28-2008, 05:22 PM
What an arbitrary milestone. Do you realize if you take a 14-10 record (.583 winning percentage) over 162 games you end up with 94 wins?

As long as you start the day with more wins and less losses than everyone else in the division, you're sitting pretty.

oeo
04-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Today will be our fourth chance to go 5 games above .500 and as we are currently down 1-0 and can't buy a run, this got me thinking: Are the White Sox for real as a contender? Beng 4 games above .500 is pretty good, but if you look around the majors, the good teams have really distanced themselves from the .500 barrier. We can't seem to get 5 games above .500, which is to me, a sign that this team might not be that good.

They've really distanced themselves with a couple more W's?

:lol:

rdwj
04-28-2008, 05:33 PM
You can't win a division in April. The Sox just need to stay close early. Being a coupe games up is just gravy

Patrick134
04-28-2008, 05:36 PM

The Tigers weren't out of it at 2-10, so I'd hardly call the sox out of it at 14-10.

CHISOXFAN13
04-28-2008, 06:12 PM

There are twO teams in the AL with better records and they sit at 16-10 and 15-10.

Guess there are no good teams in the AL.

JB98
04-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Frankly, I have no idea whether the Sox are for real.

chisoxmike
04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Frankly, I have no idea whether the Sox are for real.

I still don't like this bullpen. And, the offense blows a lot of scoring opportunities.

JB98
04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
I still don't like this bullpen. And, the offense blows a lot of scoring opportunities.

Somehow, though, they are 14-10. That's a good record. They obviously have their holes, but to this point they've done better than the other teams in this division.

Like I said, I really have no idea whether they'll be in the race. It will take more than 24 games for me to either start believing or write them off. As of now, I don't have real high expectations.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
To soon to tell but keep this in mind...the 2007 Sox were four games over .500 at one time if memory serves. It was either in late April, early May sometime in that area. And we saw how things turned out then.

This team is having some issues but overall looks like they give a damn a lot more then last year's bunch.

I don't think they'll be there in the end but they can have a winning season. That's my focus for now until the Sox prove otherwise, one way or another.

Lip

JB98
04-28-2008, 08:47 PM
To soon to tell but keep this in mind...the 2007 Sox were four games over .500 at one time if memory serves. It was either in late April, early May sometime in that area. And we saw how things turned out then.

This team is having some issues but overall looks like they give a damn a lot more then last year's bunch.

I don't think they'll be there in the end but they can have a winning season. That's my focus for now until the Sox prove otherwise, one way or another.

Lip

The intensity level has definitely improved this year. There's been a few wins this season where I've said to myself, "This would have been a loss last year."

The 6-5 win over the O's the other night hops immediately to mind.

hawkjt
04-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Would have liked todays game to add to our cushion as the next month is mostly on the road vs some tough teams. We have to hang on til our big bats get rocking in the summer heat.. Could be worse but we are leaking oil with zero hitting of late it seems. Those averages are just scary all up and down the lineup...Even AJ is down to .300 and CQ is almost .300 but after that everyone cept Joe(.265) is below .230...ouch.

doublem23
04-28-2008, 09:01 PM
The intensity level has definitely improved this year. There's been a few wins this season where I've said to myself, "This would have been a loss last year."

The 6-5 win over the O's the other night hops immediately to mind.

There definitely is a looser, more relaxed feel to this team, but I have caught myself the last week muttering the phrase, "if they could only start hitting, everything would be fine," which is exactly what I was muttering in late April/early May 2007.

They're scoring runs, but they need to start hitting more consistently. The pitching has held up more than it's share of the load.

Hitmen77
04-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Would have liked todays game to add to our cushion as the next month is mostly on the road vs some tough teams. We have to hang on til our big bats get rocking in the summer heat.. Could be worse but we are leaking oil with zero hitting of late it seems. Those averages are just scary all up and down the lineup...Even AJ is down to .300 and CQ is almost .300 but after that everyone cept Joe(.265) is below .230...ouch.

I know the Sox have done very well so far with scoring alot of runs with the league's lowest BA - but we can't keep hitting like this and remain competitive. Today's 14 LOB shows how having so many slumping hitters in our lineup costs us.

Our lineup #1 - #8 should be very solid. My hope is that when these bats finally wake up that our starting pitching will maintain it's current level of excellence (or at least near the current level).

skottyj242
04-29-2008, 10:00 AM

What are you talking about Mike? They only left 14 men on base yesterday. You do that, you're gonna win alot of ball games.