PDA

View Full Version : COMISKEY RENOVATION PICTURE!!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 08:41 PM
HKS PROJECT COMISKEY! (http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/projects/comiskey1.htm)

http://www.hksinc.com/portfolio/images/comiskey1.jpg

I hope the photo works. If not go to link above

OKCSoxFan
08-02-2001, 08:45 PM
This may sound off the wall, but am I the only one that thinks the big reason to the "impersonal" feeling is the bright blue seats, wa, advertising boards, etc.? I think the ballpark itself is actually kinda cozy, but people almost EXPECT to see the green seats, green wall, etc. If you change the blue to a nice dark green, people would love the park!

PutItOnTheBoard
08-02-2001, 08:46 PM
I've got a better idea:

Rip out all the blue seats and put it green ones.

Pretty simple, eh?

PutItOnTheBoard
08-02-2001, 08:47 PM
LOL, OKCSoxFan - I see we posted at the same time, with the same idea!

I mean, seriously, I think it transform the "feeling" of the park tremendously, and couldn't cost that much.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 08:49 PM
I mean, seriously, I think it transform the "feeling" of the park tremendously, and couldn't cost that much.

Well this project is costing 40 million!

From HKS Website:
The renovation of Comiskey Park, which replaced the original 80-year-old classic stadium in 1991, responds to criticism that the stadium is cold and impersonal. Valued at $40 million, renovations and additions include refitting the baseline seating configuration, bringing fans closer to the playing action; adding 2,400 seats in a new home-run porch, a favorable retro element; and adding 600 club seats behind a new home plate; bringing the total number of seats to 43,850. Also included in the master plan at left field is a new grand entrance, an important element that defines a classic ballpark. State-of-the-art amenities include a three-story restaurant, upgrades to the club concourse, and a new Kidzone outside of center field.

Chisox_cali
08-02-2001, 09:00 PM
hey can anyone get the 2nd to last picture??? all i get is the square with the x in it

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 09:03 PM
hey can anyone get the 2nd to last picture??? all i get is the square with the x in it

Nope I get the same thing.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2001, 09:05 PM

I can see it.

chisoxt
08-02-2001, 09:09 PM
So what are they details for carrying out this plan. I'm surprised that this was released without a lot of fanfare?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 09:10 PM
I can see it.

Well could you post it?

Chisox_cali
08-02-2001, 09:11 PM
yes please post it

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 09:12 PM
So what are they details for carrying out this plan. I'm surprised that this was released without a lot of fanfare?

It hasn't been announced by the Sox to the best of my knowledge. I happened to stuble on this when visiting HKS's website. They as you know built Comiskey and a number of other parks.

From HKS Website:
The renovation of Comiskey Park, which replaced the original 80-year-old classic stadium in 1991, responds to criticism that the stadium is cold and impersonal. Valued at $40 million, renovations and additions include refitting the baseline seating configuration, bringing fans closer to the playing action; adding 2,400 seats in a new home-run porch, a favorable retro element; and adding 600 club seats behind a new home plate; bringing the total number of seats to 43,850. Also included in the master plan at left field is a new grand entrance, an important element that defines a classic ballpark. State-of-the-art amenities include a three-story restaurant, upgrades to the club concourse, and a new Kidzone outside of center field.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-02-2001, 09:13 PM
First a few questions for Jerry.

Where did you find this site? This is the first I've seen of any of this. Did the newspapers report something or is this just an architect's unapproved design?

Besides the shade screens they added around the main office entrance (nice touch), I'm shocked to see they plan to demolish the pedestrian ramps across 35th Street. Yes, that new entrance in the left-field corner will handle more fans but that isn't a very convenient spot to exit for most fans, especially the legions sitting along the third base line with cars parked west of the ballpark.

Besides handling a huge amount of pedestrian traffic, those ramps also contained ticket windows. I can't believe they wouldn't need equivalent facilities retrofitted somewhere else.

I'm impressed--assuming this is a plan for implementation.

Still it's a huge aesthetic improvement. The site of Old Comiskey will be vastly improved. Now if they would turn it back into a grass diamond I'll be satisfied.

FarWestChicago
08-02-2001, 09:15 PM
Well could you post it?

Huh? It's already posted.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 09:17 PM
Where did you find this site? This is the first I've seen of any of this. Did the newspapers report something or is this just an architect's unapproved design?

Someone in the parking lot was trying to post a photo that didn't work so I looked to see what it was and it was this. So I went to properties and found the url and I stumbled across the rest.

Here is the official site, go to portfolio (http://www.hksinc.com/main.htm)

No nothing in the papers, I doubt the construction company would put up something like this if it wasn't true. I'm sure the Sox will announce something soon.

IA_soxfan
08-02-2001, 09:26 PM
This may sound off the wall, but am I the only one that thinks the big reason to the "impersonal" feeling is the bright blue seats
Yeah, but look at Oakland's park. They have the trendy dark green seats and the place still looks like a dungeon.

KingXerxes
08-02-2001, 10:21 PM
Where's the $40,000,000 coming from?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Where's the $40,000,000 coming from?

Reinsdorf got 22 or 20 million out of the Bears new stadium deal. So that is half and I have no idea where the other 1/2 is coming from.

KempersRS
08-02-2001, 10:29 PM
Reinsdorf got 22 or 20 million out of the Bears new stadium deal. So that is half and I have no idea where the other 1/2 is coming from.

:keith
"I know where some of it is coming from"

KingXerxes
08-02-2001, 10:31 PM
My guess would be that he'll sell the naming rights. I can see it right now:

:reinsy

"I don't know why people have a problem that the stadium is named "The Chicago Tribune's Memorial to Ernie Banks Stadium".......they came up with the money to make this beautiful renovation possible!"

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 10:32 PM
No I don't think any of this is going to hurt Foulke's contract talks.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 10:33 PM
My guess would be that he'll sell the naming rights.

Yeah that sounds like a realistic option. Hey King what would Hawk say if they named the stadium after him?

KingXerxes
08-02-2001, 10:48 PM
:hawk

"Hello everybody and welcome to the newly renovated LACKEY FOR THE ORGANIZATION STADIUM .......Mercy! Why just yesterday I was walking the outfield with Ol' Gates Brown.....yeah Ol' Gates....I remember when him and his brother Ike used to just wear out the Carmines....and Ol' Gates says 'Hawk - Let's get us a burger'........"

:DJ

"Is this story going anywhere?"

:hawk

"Yessir....Ol' Gates Brown."

FarWestChicago
08-02-2001, 10:50 PM
"Is this story going anywhere?"

LMAO!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 10:51 PM
:)

Thanks King that was great.

CerberusWG
08-02-2001, 11:49 PM
ROFL...

that was good stuff

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:04 AM
that was good stuff

You got that right, King is the best at Hawk impressions.

KVinc
08-03-2001, 12:11 AM
god darn thats nice i cant wait i hope its done by 2003 because by then i'll be out from M.I.T. and might be able to see the park more.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 12:13 AM
god darn thats nice i cant wait i hope its done by 2003 because by then i'll be out from M.I.T. and might be able to see the park more.

Let me state again this hasn't been confirmed in any way by the Sox. Those photo's were taken off the site of the people who will be doing the work.

Procol Harum
08-03-2001, 10:03 AM
Renovations input from a long-time Sox guy: I'm not impressed by the gussying up and the faux retro look. Looks like they're adding some nicely overdue view-obstructed seats out in that new "home run porch." Just replace the blankety-blank blue seats and be done with it. Take the rest of the $40 million and use it on some d*** ballplayers!! Maybe that and use it to give us a break on $13 parking fees!! I'm a little fed up with paying world championship prices for an eternal also-ran. Grumble, grumble, grouse, grouse.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 10:35 AM
Maybe that and use it to give us a break on $13 parking fees!!

If more fans were at the park the price of parking wouldn't bet 13 dollars. I am not in this business to lose money.

fado
08-03-2001, 11:02 AM
I could be mistaken, but aren't the Sox getting the All-Star game in '03? If they are, I would have to think that they would want to have the renovations done by then. Because if they go in to the game looking the way it does now, there are going to be put to shame.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 11:08 AM
I could be mistaken, but aren't the Sox getting the All-Star game in '03?

No you are correct the 2003 game is at Comiskey.

fado
08-03-2001, 11:17 AM
Thanks Jerry, I thought I was hearing those voices in my head again telling me to go after JR.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 11:23 AM
I thought I was hearing those voices in my head again telling me to go after JR.

You don't need to hear voices in your head to go after JR.

WindyCityHusker
08-03-2001, 05:08 PM
Anyone else notice that the big black blob in center is green in the pic?

doublem23
08-03-2001, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by WindyCityHusker

Yeah, and it looks like instead of being level with the seats, it looks like it will be raised. Kinda cool. It's just one of those quirky thinhgs everyone so desperately wants.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 05:14 PM

Yes I did but I'm not sure if that means they are changing the color.

WindyCityHusker
08-03-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Yes I did but I'm not sure if that means they are changing the color.

Yeah, I know, but I do see green walls, bullpen....etc.... But I also see a lotta blue. Green would be great though. Would it be possible to paint everything green while working during one winter?

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 05:16 PM
Yeah, and it looks like instead of being level with the seats, it looks like it will be raised. Kinda cool. It's just one of those quirky thinhgs everyone so desperately wants.

I'm not sure it will be raised that may just be for the drawing. If they did raise it and made it grass like the Rangers have in center that would be cool.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I know, but I do see green walls, bullpen....etc.... But I also see a lotta blue. Green would be great though. Would it be possible to paint everything green while working during one winter?

Well again the green might just be for the drawing. Keep in mind there is a chance of a lock out and if that happens they can work in the summer.

doublem23
08-03-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Well again the green might just be for the drawing. Keep in mind there is a chance of a lock out and if that happens they can work in the summer.

Didn't even think of that, JM. At least now we'll know who is responsible if there is a lockout.

What? We can't be working during the season.

WindyCityHusker
08-03-2001, 05:30 PM
Hmmm... hey FWC, what's the record thread for most replies / views??

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 05:33 PM
Hmmm... hey FWC, what's the record thread for most replies / views??

There was one on the old board that actually got into the 90's. I'm not sure about here. My query writing skills are virtually non-existent or I could tell you in a second.

rmusacch
08-03-2001, 05:46 PM
Did they change their name, I thought the company that built all these parks was HOK?

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 05:50 PM
Did they change their name, I thought the company that built all these parks was HOK?

After looking at their "about us" section they have been HKS since the 1970's maybe Reinsdorf is going to try a different company this time around.

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Didn't even think of that, JM. At least now we'll know who is responsible if there is a lockout.

What? We can't be working during the season.

I don't think it is fair to say Reinsdorf will be at-fault this time around.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-03-2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

It was HOK that designed Comiskey in the late-80's. This firm is claiming lineage to them.

FarWestChicago
08-03-2001, 06:27 PM
It was HOK that designed Comiskey in the late-80's. This firm is claiming lineage to them.

Maybe the O guy got unceremoniously canned like the Grobber and they replaced him with some S partner...

Jerry_Manuel
08-03-2001, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

Maybe the O guy got unceremoniously canned like the Grobber and they replaced him with some S partner...

:shammy
I have a lot of S's in my name perhaps it is me?