PDA

View Full Version : Chris De Luca Ranks all 30 MLB Stadiums

nysox35
04-28-2008, 07:41 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/918492,parks042708.article
(Click Top 30 Photos link)

He ranks US Cellular #14 and Wrigley #16 :smile:

Given the # of awesome stadiums out there, #14 seems pretty fair for us. I agree that it's better than many, but not up there w/ some of the newer, retro style places.
Thought you guys might enjoy the link.

hxcxor
04-28-2008, 08:38 AM
That overhead of Safeco is awesome.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-28-2008, 08:59 AM
I love the comments about how Wrigley is breathtaking, then you have to hold your breath. It gets # 16 strictly due to nostalgia.

Oblong
04-28-2008, 09:43 AM
I've only been to a handful so it's hard to judge on anything other than what I see on TV but I'm surprised that KC (4) and Dodgers (6) are so high.

doublem23
04-28-2008, 09:44 AM
I've only been to a handful so it's hard to judge on anything other than what I see on TV but I'm surprised that KC (4) and Dodgers (6) are so high.

I've heard from numerous people that Kaufman Stadium is very, very nice... It's just the team that's played there for the last decade is what's so atrocious.

goon
04-28-2008, 09:47 AM
That list doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

skobabe8
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
I've heard from numerous people that Kaufman Stadium is very, very nice... It's just the team that's played there for the last decade is what's so atrocious.

The outside is nothing special at all. The inside is nice, but even that gets over-hyped sometimes. Some areas of their main concourse are dark, cold, and wet.

MUsoxfan
04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Probably pretty accurate

kraut83
04-28-2008, 09:54 AM
I've never understood the universal dislike of Miller Park.

I thought it was a great place to see a game.

MUsoxfan
04-28-2008, 09:59 AM

I love it. But in fairness to the list, I haven't been to any other of the retractable dome stadiums. I may like Miller Park slightly less after visiting those other parks.

aryzner
04-28-2008, 10:07 AM

I agree I thought it was a great place as well. It was very nice when I was last there last year.

04-28-2008, 10:19 AM
AT&T Park should be higher than #7

goofymsfan
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
I think that's the first time I've seen Safeco Field rated as high as #2. Of the places I've visited it's still my favorite place to watch a game.

Miller Park should be higher than 25. It was nice to watch a game, but unlike Safeco, you can't walk around the entire concourse minus the batter's eye and watch the game. Also I found when they closed the roof at Miller Park, they also closed the windows and it got muggy inside. Safeco, even with the roof stretched over the stadium, it maintains an open air feel.

For being an "older" stadium, Kauffman Stadium was beautiful! I don't think I would have liked it as well if they still had turf instead of grass. The fountains at night make a great back drop.

I didn't care for Dodger Stadium the one game I watched there. Of course being forced to enter and stay on your level might have jaded my opinion of the park a little especially when we purchased the tickets from the box office and this wasn't mentioned to us.

I would have ranked Petco Park higher than #10. It's a beautiful park, as is Coors Field.

Angel's Stadium was nice but the fans ruin the experience and have made me vow to not go there again.

McAfee Stadium is a dump.

Palehose Pete
04-28-2008, 11:26 AM
The players who were interviewed for the article really liked Safeco. Anyone been there as a fan who who could review the park and game experience?

soxinem1
04-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I love the comments about how Wrigley is breathtaking, then you have to hold your breath. It gets # 16 strictly due to nostalgia.

I agree with Ozzie's feelings about Wrigley.

The truth hurts some people.

Eddo144
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
One thing I noticed about Miller Park when I was there for a game last summer was how easy it was to get lost. At U.S. Cellular, there is a wide concourse, with the stands on the inside and concessions, bathrooms, ramps, and exits on the outside. At Miller Park, there are places where a concession stand is more in the middle of the concourse, and you can walk behind it. Additionally, getting to the escalators going up to higher levels requires some doubling-back, in a sense.

Great American Ballpark, in Cincinnati, has similar issues, but they're not as prevalent as in Miller Park. Another common feature between the two is that it feels like you are higher up when you sit in the outfield, and thus farther from the game.

doublem23
04-28-2008, 11:37 AM

There are plenty of people that love Miller Park. There are plenty that hate it. Never been, so I can't comment, but there seems to be no middle ground with that place.

goofymsfan
04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
The players who were interviewed for the article really liked Safeco. Anyone been there as a fan who who could review the park and game experience?

I'm a season ticket holder there. Game experience can vary depending on what team is in town and where you are sitting. Obviously, the Diamond Club seats are fairly uppity and pricey, but if you can afford the tickets, it's a cool place to watch a game from. I've gotten to sit in there once. In the lower level along the 1st and 3rd baselines, you are close to the field and the action. There are two different sets of bleachers, the Leftfield and Centerfield. Both provide pretty good views of the field and are the cheapest seats in the house. The upper deck seats provide yet a different view of the park. The club level offers a chance at some food options not available to the other levels.

I've had the opportunity to sit in two different Suites. They were nice and included food and drink, but I found that even a golf clap was too loud and always ended up in my favorite place to watch a game from which is the Centerfield Landing also known as the Budweiser Landing aka the beer garden even though you don't have to be 21 to be down there. They often have private parties pre-game, but always open it up around game time.

You can watch pitchers warm up in both bull pens from the backside and still be able to watch the game.

The Bullpen Pub has a place where you can watch the game from left field beneath the hand operated scoreboard at pretty much field level.

My suggestion to people who are visiting the park for the first time is to buy the cheapest seat (centerfield bleachers) and then walk around and check out the stadium. You can watch the game from behind the seats on the main concourse. If you go to the upper deck and toward left field, there is a place called Look Out Landing that gives a pretty cool view of the waterfront.

If you have any other questions about the park feel free to ask me.

Palehose Pete
04-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks, goofymsfan! :cool:

Max Power
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm a season ticket holder there.

Thanks for the info! I'll be in Seattle for a conference at the end of May and our outing is to a Mariners/Red Sox game. I'm very much looking forward to my first Safeco experience- I'm pretty sure our tickets are first level down the left field line near the foul pole.

Kaufman Stadium: I went to a game there a couple of years ago and I had read a lot of good reviews of the place, but I came away kind of underwhelmed. For a stadium with fountains in the outfield and a crown shaped scoreboard it's still very bland. It's nice and there's nothing to dislike about it, but there's nothing great about it either.

Coors and Citizens Bank are the top two ballparks I've been to.

asindc
04-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Just went to my first game at Nationals park yesterday. I'm posting my detailed comments about the experience in a separate thread, but I wanted to respond to DeLuca's article and rankings. I agree with DeLuca in that you feel largely disconnected from the rest of the city when you are in the park, except for the upper decks of right field from which you can see the Capital. I really hate that the prominent sight you do see is of the parking garages, which are woefully inadequate anyway. Most of the undeveloped land around the park is being earmarked for commercial development.

All in all, aside from the chilly weather, it was a good experience. I disagree with the DeLuca that Nationals Park should be ranked ahead of Camden, though. Camden, IMO, is still the standard bearer as far as parks go.

Law11
04-28-2008, 12:35 PM

Same here. I love that place..

DSpivack
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Of the ones that I've been to (around 10 or so), AT&T Park and Camden Yards easily top the list. Coors and Turner would be next; the two are very similar. I'd put USCF next, followed by Comerica and Nats Park, then Wrigley, then Dodger Stadium, and lastly the Skydome. I'll be checking out Yankee Stadium in a month.

Lip Man 1
04-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Joe Cowley in the Sun-Times today also lists Wrigley as the worst park in MLB> His comment was that he never got used to the smell of beer and urine.

Lip

mccoydp
04-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Oriole Park is great, I have to agree.

I can't argue with his comments on Wrigley; two games there was enough for me.

I'm not sure I agree with Kauffman Stadium being so high. I've been there three times already, and, even after the improvements from the offseason, it still feels a bit "old". It's ok. The new video screen kicks butt.

Turner Field is just plain "blah", but is a big improvement over Fulton County Stadium.

I haven't been to U.S. Cellular Field since 1993, but I'm looking forward to catching the LA/Sox game on May 25th.

DSpivack
04-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Oriole Park is great, I have to agree.

I can't argue with his comments on Wrigley; two games there was enough for me.

I'm not sure I agree with Kauffman Stadium being so high. I've been there three times already, and, even after the improvements from the offseason, it still feels a bit "old". It's ok. The new video screen kicks butt.

Turner Field is just plain "blah", but is a big improvement over Fulton County Stadium.

I haven't been to U.S. Cellular Field since 1993, but I'm looking forward to catching the LA/Sox game on May 25th.

Wow! You won't recognize it! (well, besides on tv)

mccoydp
04-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow! You won't recognize it! (well, besides on tv)

I was a student at IIT from 1992-1993, and I'm ecstatic that I get to go back and see the park. I liked it back then, and I'm sure I'll like it even more next month! :D:

During my time at IIT, I couldn't figure out why people drooled over going to Wrigley Field instead of New Comiskey Park.

Fenway
04-28-2008, 02:48 PM
I would like Chris to sit in Section 7 at Fenway and get back to me :tongue:

Still it does prove my point that since the team was sold in 2002 Fenway has improved 1,000%.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Anyone experience the new Busch? Why is it #19

skobabe8
05-03-2008, 10:38 AM
I love it. But in fairness to the list, I haven't been to any other of the retractable dome stadiums. I may like Miller Park slightly less after visiting those other parks.

Miller Park beats Chase Field and Minute Maid, IMO.

TomBradley72
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Same here. I love that place..

Should have been built downtown...but I love it as well. It's not perfect...but none of them are.

LoveYourSuit
05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I would put Toronto, Minn, Oakland, Florida behind Tampa.

chisoxfan79
05-03-2008, 02:38 PM

I tHINK it is a great place to watch a game also I think it is way better than Jacobs Field

chisoxfan79
05-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Anyone experience the new Busch? Why is it #19
Its nothing special I went there last year its kinda blah

downstairs
05-03-2008, 03:28 PM
I've been to Miller Park, and I found it to be very minor-league. You were close to the action, but it just felt cheap. The Brewers were doing well, and I just didn't get the "electricity."

I do get that electricity at US Cellular.

I actually like Wrigley, I just hate the team and their fans. I love Fenway as well. I'm a sucker for historic places (my friggin' house is 120 years old).

Beyond that, couldn't tell you anything about the other 26 :)

D. TODD
05-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I've been to about 18 stadiums, and Kaufman was nothing special to me. Some of my buddies liked it a lo, but very mediocre to me.

jenn2080
05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Citzens Bank Ballpark should be before PNC.

skobabe8
05-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I've been to Miller Park, and I found it to be very minor-league. You were close to the action, but it just felt cheap. The Brewers were doing well, and I just didn't get the "electricity."

I do get that electricity at US Cellular.

I actually like Wrigley, I just hate the team and their fans. I love Fenway as well. I'm a sucker for historic places (my friggin' house is 120 years old).

Beyond that, couldn't tell you anything about the other 26 :)
The one time I was at Miller there was the electricity. Maybe because they were playing the Yankees. I enjoyed the energy and it reminded of games at USCF. Not alot of places compare, but I thought Miller Park was close.