PDA

View Full Version : Tropicana Field isn't that bad......

Fenway
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Greetings from beautiful Pinellas County Florida.

Last night The Trop was rocking with over 30,000 fans as the Rays beat Boston in 11 innings. When that stadium is full it is one loud building.

The Rays look like they might flirt with .500 and maybe we will find out if Tampa Bay will support baseball.

Jerome
04-26-2008, 08:46 PM

Last night The Trop was rocking with over 30,000 fans as the Rays beat Boston in 11 innings. When that stadium is full it is one loud building.

The Rays look like they might flirt with .500 and maybe we will find out if Tampa Bay will support baseball.

I was there last summer, it was pretty bad. anything you heckled could be heard all over the stadium, and an 8 dollar ticket allowed you to move up to basically anywhere else in the park it was so empty

I had a lot of fun, naturally :cool:

Fenway
04-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Another loud night at The Trop and I have a headache from the noise. Tonight over 30,000 fans were ringing cowbells and the place went nuts when the Rays took the lead in the 8th and held on.

Please no more cowbell.

RadioheadRocks
04-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Was there last year and saw Buehrle pitch. Aside from the annoying cowbell I actually didn't think Tropicana was too bad. Parking was free, the food choices were decent and I really liked the stingray pool above center field.

Sure beats the hell out of the Metrodome!

LoveYourSuit
04-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Was there last year and saw Buehrle pitch. Aside from the annoying cowbell I actually didn't think Tropicana was too bad. Parking was free, the food choices were decent and I really liked the stingray pool above center field.

Sure beats the hell out of the Metrodome!

I'm going up there next month for the White Sox series, ended up buying tickets for a game 6 rows behind the Sox dugout on Stubhub but paid $88 for 2 tickets. I'm beginning to kick myself if it is true you can buy a cheap UD ticket for $8 and move anywhere (unlike the Cell).

Can you guys confirm this?

This is the route I will go for the rest of the series.

DumpJerry
04-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Where have ya been, Fen? Haven't seen you here in a while.

Scottiehaswheels
04-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Where have ya been, Fen? Haven't seen you here in a while.No kidding, I just figured he was banned again.

ChiSoxGirl
04-27-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm going up there next month for the White Sox series, ended up buying tickets for a game 6 rows behind the Sox dugout on Stubhub but paid $88 for 2 tickets. I'm beginning to kick myself if it is true you can buy a cheap UD ticket for $8 and move anywhere (unlike the Cell).

Can you guys confirm this?

This is the route I will go for the rest of the series.

Absolutely. I went down there last June for three of the four games, and I paid $20 to see three games! A friend of mine bought us each $20 tickets for the first game. He had four vouchers for free upper deck tickets for us for the last two games... we never sniffed the upper deck. Instead, we sat just to the left of the Sox dugout and a few rows from the field! It was awesome!

There's also free parking at The Trop.! :bandance:

LoveYourSuit
04-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Absolutely. I went down there last June for three of the four games, and I paid $20 to see three games! A friend of mine bought us each $20 tickets for the first game. He had four vouchers for free upper deck tickets for us for the last two games... we never sniffed the upper deck. Instead, we sat just to the left of the Sox dugout and a few rows from the field! It was awesome!

There's also free parking at The Trop.! :bandance:

Nice,

Well, I'll bite the bullet I guess for that game I already dumped $88 for, but this is good to know.

Any other cool places to check out in St. Pete or Tampa ....bars, beaches, restaurants?

Last time I was on that side of Florida I was 12 years old.

FourStarsTwoBars
04-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Another loud night at The Trop and I have a headache from the noise. Tonight over 30,000 fans were ringing cowbells and the place went nuts when the Rays took the lead in the 8th and held on.

Please no more cowbell.

So there are 30,000 Rays fans?
Could you guess what the split was of Red Sox fans?

chisoxfanatic
04-27-2008, 02:34 AM

I'd imagine they were Rays fans. The promotion listed that only people wearing Rays gear would get the cowbells.

veeter
04-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Saw a game there in 2000 and liked the place.

Bump34
04-27-2008, 09:25 AM

Please no more cowbell.

I second that request... love the energy the last couple of nights... but I am hearing cowbells in my sleep!!!

Anyone coming down to the White Sox series in late May... I will pass along some things to do at a later date... but there was a "Tampa" thread a couple of weeks ago that covered some places...

cws05champ
04-27-2008, 09:42 AM
I've been there to the Trop about 7-8 times. It is bad from a stadium standpoint. It has pretty good site lines but doesn't project a very baseball friendly feel. The parking is not free anymore...$5-10 unless you ride with 4 or more people in the vehicle.

We were able to move anywhere in the stadium for this years games(Fri/Sat). There were a lot more Sox fans Fri night than Saturday for some reason.

tlebar318
04-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I second that request... love the energy the last couple of nights... but I am hearing cowbells in my sleep!!!

Anyone coming down to the White Sox series in late May... I will pass along some things to do at a later date... but there was a "Tampa" thread a couple of weeks ago that covered some places...

Hey Bump-
Good seeing you again briefly last week at Ferg's-(Orlando/Bridgeport Tony Here)...I will definitely be back for the next Series. As far as things to do for anyone coming down...check out The Pier and Ferg's before or after a game for sure...there are also some little bed and breakfast places to stay right by the waterfront within a few miles of the Trop...

cards press box
04-27-2008, 10:53 AM

And the new stadium looks great. The Rays may well be a trendy team to follow in just a couple of years (assuming, that isn't true already).

Fenway
04-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Where have ya been, Fen? Haven't seen you here in a while.

My laptop was in the shop for a few days and I was just tied up with the Bruins-Habs series. The third period of Game 6 might have been the best hockey the NHL has seen in 20 years.

I would say that last night the split was 50-50 between Boston and Tampa fans. The game was sold out and there were actualy scalpers which has to be a first in St Pete.

I am still hearing cowbells.

Whitesox029
04-27-2008, 06:06 PM
Had to be at least 1:1 Red Cubs fans to Rays fans.

UofCSoxFan
04-27-2008, 08:09 PM
It really is amazing how a full crowd adds to the ejoyment of a park. Looking at Camden Yards or the Jake/Progressive Field half empty, the don't have nearly the same cache as they used to.

Fenway
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
It was a crazy weekend with the Rays sweeping the series.

If beating Boston 3 straight doesn't jumpstart attendance nothing will.

Soxfanspcu11
04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
I remember reading somewhere that this stadium got voted the Worst Stadium in Major League Baseball. I don't know who did the actual voting. Sports writters IIRC.

They were saying how the place is basically just a big wearhouse with basically 0 view of the outside.

I think one of the writters referred to it as a huge office building.

I've never been there so I can not confirm or deny those accouts.

It is pretty unfortunate though. I mean, the Tampa Bay area is beautiful and then you have this ballpark that makes you feel like your in a wearhouse in Montana. For a relatively new stadium, I am SHOCKED at how poor the planning of it was.

ChiSoxGirl
04-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Nice,

Well, I'll bite the bullet I guess for that game I already dumped $88 for, but this is good to know.

Any other cool places to check out in St. Pete or Tampa ....bars, beaches, restaurants?

Last time I was on that side of Florida I was 12 years old.

St. Pete Beach is gorgeous. Basically anywhere along Gulf Blvd. is a great place to be- plenty of things to do, places to eat, etc., as it's a very touristy area.

As for a restaurant suggestion, Spinners (http://www.grandplazaflorida.com/spinners-restaurant.html) is located atop the Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort on Gulf Blvd., where I stayed last summer. The view is fantastic on a clear day and the food is priced decently.

Fenway
04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
St. Pete Beach is gorgeous. Basically anywhere along Gulf Blvd. is a great place to be- plenty of things to do, places to eat, etc., as it's a very touristy area.

As for a restaurant suggestion, Spinners (http://www.grandplazaflorida.com/spinners-restaurant.html) is located atop the Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort on Gulf Blvd., where I stayed last summer. The view is fantastic on a clear day and the food is priced decently.

Fantastic bar

http://www.thehurricane.com/

FourStarsTwoBars
04-28-2008, 03:10 PM
I remember reading somewhere that this stadium got voted the Worst Stadium in Major League Baseball. I don't know who did the actual voting. Sports writters IIRC.

They were saying how the place is basically just a big wearhouse with basically 0 view of the outside.

I think one of the writters referred to it as a huge office building.

I've never been there so I can not confirm or deny those accouts.

It is pretty unfortunate though. I mean, the Tampa Bay area is beautiful and then you have this ballpark that makes you feel like your in a wearhouse in Montana. For a relatively new stadium, I am SHOCKED at how poor the planning of it was.
In their defense, they did get some ridiculous attendance numbers with the Lightning when it was called the Thunderdome and they also held the Final Four in 1999 which they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

GeoffNotBlum
04-29-2008, 11:29 PM
And the Suncoast Dome was enough of a threat to get Springfield to support construction of the Cell...

of course, I'm glad the Sox only moved about 500 feet south.

TheVulture
05-05-2008, 01:26 AM
If beating Boston 3 straight doesn't jumpstart attendance nothing will.
:rolling: