PDA

View Full Version : Superstation WGN to re-emphasize Chicago baseball?

kba
04-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Robert Feder (http://www.suntimes.com/business/feder/909590,CST-FIN-feder23.article) wrote about Sam Zell's plans to "relaunch" superstation WGN with a new name and new image. This (http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2008/04/more_stream_of_consciousn.php) internal Tribune memo has some interesting hints of what may be to come.

The new bosses say they want to "OWN Chicago baseball." Maybe change the Superstation logo to a baseball during the season, show old stuff from the WGN sports archives, etc.

It's alarming that it only mentions the Cubs, not the Sox. And some of the ideas ("A Countdown to opening pitch timer. 24/7 on the screen.") seem reminiscent of the annoying over-production that Fox foists upon us. But at least they seem to recognize that Chicago baseball can be a major part of WGN's programming again, rather than the afterthought its been since the WB/CW era began.

Scottiehaswheels
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Wouldn't this require a reworking of the TV contract? How long is that in place for? Would Zell lower the sales price of the Cubs to get this for WGN?

asg2003ws2005
04-26-2008, 02:38 AM
This is similar to WTBS being transitioned into the Peachtree Network.

cnw8052
04-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Does this mean they'll quit showing worthless recycled AFV episodes all day long????

What happens to those of us that only receive the "stupidstation" feed? Will we lose baseball games entirely?

DSpivack
04-26-2008, 11:26 AM
This is similar to WTBS being transitioned into the Peachtree Network.

The difference there is that TBS won the rights to some playoff games and to show a weekly sunday afternoon game nationally. Doing that, they took the Braves off the TBS Superstation and branded Peachtree TV as a local station.

Over By There
04-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Does this mean they'll quit showing worthless recycled AFV episodes all day long????

What happens to those of us that only receive the "stupidstation" feed? Will we lose baseball games entirely?

Don't forget the awesomeness that is "Funniest Pets and People."

getonbckthr
04-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Wouldn't this require a reworking of the TV contract? How long is that in place for? Would Zell lower the sales price of the Cubs to get this for WGN?
I would assume if the Cubs sell their portion of Comcast it would be ok.

roylestillman
04-26-2008, 11:12 PM
This guy needs to be tranquilized (Yiddish version of Take me out to the Ballgame?)

I think everybody at some time in their career has had a boss like this that comes in, guns blazing, changes for change's sake, fails miserably, is gone in 11 months and leaves the rest of us to reassemble the organization.

Never thought I'd say this but God help the Trib.

kba
04-26-2008, 11:25 PM

The Cubs don't have a formal contract with WGN, since they're both owned by the same company. But Tribune Co. has said that the sale of the team will be contingent upon the new owner working out long-term contracts with WGN-TV and radio. Since the Cubs also own a share of Comcast Sportsnet, Zell would have a lot of flexibility to restructure the Cubs TV package.

Hopefully, if Zell's new people are serious about beefing up baseball coverage on the Superstation, it would mean more Sox telecasts. While I doubt Reinsdorf would put many more games on free TV, it would be nice if the WCIU games could be moved back to WGN. The Sox were never thrilled with the WCIU arrangement in the first place, but WGN wanted to clear time for the WB/CW.

Scottiehaswheels
04-26-2008, 11:26 PM
I would assume if the Cubs sell their portion of Comcast it would be ok.Well I was kinda hoping that in reworking the contract it would allow the Sox to get more games on WGN to somewhat balance out the Cubs dominance on WGN. I would think that the new owner of the Cubs might want to push a few more games onto the Comcast channel if they are also assuming the portion of Comcast with the Cubs sale? Maybe?

Scottiehaswheels
04-26-2008, 11:29 PM
The Cubs don't have a formal contract with WGN, since they're both owned by the same company. But Tribune Co. has said that the sale of the team will be contingent upon the new owner working out long-term contracts with WGN-TV and radio. Since the Cubs also own a share of Comcast Sportsnet, Zell would have a lot of flexibility to restructure the Cubs TV package.

Hopefully, if Zell's new people are serious about beefing up baseball coverage on the Superstation, it would mean more Sox telecasts. While I doubt Reinsdorf would put many more games on free TV, it would be nice if the WCIU games could be moved back to WGN. The Sox were never thrilled with the WCIU arrangement in the first place, but WGN wanted to clear time for the WB/CW.Thanks for putting it so succinctly, kinda what I was going for. I didn't mind the WCIU games so much when I lived up north but now that I am down here, we don't get any of those games. Considering there are something like 20-25 WCIU games this year compared to like 15-20 WGN, it kinda sucks.

soxpride724
04-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't mind the WCIU games so much as long as they have a HD channel on my cable I'm good. It's the CLTV occasional broadcasts that I do not like.

cnw8052
04-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I mind.

I can't get WCIU. I wish the Sox would drop that stupid channel and go all CSN and WGN or start offering WCIU on Comcast cable.

I don't mind the WCIU games so much as long as they have a HD channel on my cable I'm good. It's the CLTV occasional broadcasts that I do not like.

soxpride724
04-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I mind.

I can't get WCIU. I wish the Sox would drop that stupid channel and go all CSN and WGN or start offering WCIU on Comcast cable.

Yeah that sucks for you guys that live a ways from the city and don't get the u. We use more stations than we need to.

Vernam
04-27-2008, 10:03 PM
The CIU games also don't get picked up as HD by DirecTV. :mad:

Vernam

skottyj242
04-28-2008, 11:09 AM
This guy needs to be tranquilized (Yiddish version of Take me out to the Ballgame?)

He was talking about how they already did that on XM radio. He was just using an example of something that has already been done. I like the idea of a countdown to first pitch 24/7 on the screen.