PDA

View Full Version : Liriano demoted

jcw218
04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Did not see this posted anywhere

The Twins sent (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3368031) Liriano to the minors today.

Boondock Saint
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
He's still hurt. If he isn't, well, he's toast.

oeo
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
I was surprised they even brought him up. It's going to take some time to recover.

doublem23
04-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Not that I'm weeping over the Twins misfortune, but it is a shame to see such a great talent flame out so fast.

I don't know if Liriano is cut to be a starter. They may be better off grooming him to be Joe Nathan's replacement instead of Johan's.

oeo
04-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Not that I'm weeping over the Twins misfortune, but it is a shame to see such a great talent flame out so fast.

I don't know if Liriano is cut to be a starter. They may be better off grooming him to be Joe Nathan's replacement instead of Johan's.

Meh...this doesn't mean his career as a starter is over. He can still come back from it.

Sockinchisox
04-25-2008, 09:40 PM

I figured Neshek was going to be Nathan's replacement, then they signed Nathan so I doubt they'll be grooming anyone to be his replacement anytime soon.

Palehose Pete
04-26-2008, 12:14 AM

Nah, he's going to go back to the minors to heal and learn how to pitch again. He'll probably be back by August. The Twins will be fine, unfortunately.

FedEx227
04-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Without that slider he was nothing special, he no longer throws that slider the same, thus he's nothing special. It sucks because he was looking like an absolute beast.

oeo
04-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Without that slider he was nothing special, he no longer throws that slider the same, thus he's nothing special. It sucks because he was looking like an absolute beast.

It's not like guys come out of Tommy John surgery and have their best stuff right away. I'm not counting the guy out...it's still early in the recovery process, and I still think he's going to be a great pitcher. This is just a bump in the road.

That's not to say it's for sure he will come back, but talking about his starting career being over, etc., it's too early for that.

FedEx227
04-26-2008, 01:07 AM
It's not like guys come out of Tommy John surgery and have their best stuff right away. I'm not counting the guy out...it's still early in the recovery process, and I still think he's going to be a great pitcher. This is just a bump in the road.

That's not to say it's for sure he will come back, but talking about his starting career being over, etc., it's too early for that.

But I read multiple articles that he is really, really gunshy about throwing that slider with it being the pitch his arm blew out on. Some scouts said from talking to him he said he would do all he can to never have to throw it again.

Nellie_Fox
04-26-2008, 01:11 AM
He's still hurt. If he isn't, well, he's toast.Not necessarily still hurt, maybe just not completely recovered yet. Those are very different concepts.

Without that slider he was nothing special, he no longer throws that slider the same, thus he's nothing special. It sucks because he was looking like an absolute beast.Closer to the truth. He threw the slider as his main pitch, and it took its toll on his arm. He won't be able to do that, and he may just be an average Joe without that nasty slider unless he can learn another pitch to replace it.

chaerulez
04-26-2008, 01:32 AM
He can still throw in the low 90's so if he learns to pitch by using good control and deception instead of just relying on pure stuff (which he doesn't have anymore), he could still make a career out of it.

WhiteSox5187
04-26-2008, 02:29 AM
He can still throw in the low 90's so if he learns to pitch by using good control and deception instead of just relying on pure stuff (which he doesn't have anymore), he could still make a career out of it.
I don't think that's likely to happen. It hasn't happened with Kerry Wood and Liriano reminded me a lot of Kerry Wood in '98.

jabrch
04-26-2008, 03:45 AM
The Twins will be fine, unfortunately.

That depends on how you define "fine".

I don't see them finishing over .500.

SoxGirl4Life
04-26-2008, 09:49 AM
But I read multiple articles that he is really, really gunshy about throwing that slider with it being the pitch his arm blew out on. Some scouts said from talking to him he said he would do all he can to never have to throw it again.

Gunshy and avoiding throwing a pitch sound like major issues.

I feel bad for him as a person, but I'm not upset for the Twins

Palehose Pete
04-26-2008, 02:13 PM
That depends on how you define "fine".

I don't see them finishing over .500.

I don't, either. But I also don't see the Twins being without a big gun in their rotation. They'll have their Santana replacement in Liriano next year, I think.

Irishsox1
04-28-2008, 02:44 PM
After all of the lopsided trades and scrap heap singings that always turned out great fort the Twins, it's about time something happened to one of there stars. Other than cutting Ortiz, over the last 8 years, the vast majority of moves have worked out better than expected for the Twins.