PDA

View Full Version : Crede's game-ending RBIs

TDog
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
With a visit to the Baseball Retrosheet it wasn't difficult to figure out how many games Joe Crede ended with RBIs. Including the 2005 ALCS, it has happened 11 times on the south side of Chicago. That's a lot when you consider most games aren't won in the home half of the last inning.

-- Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2002: Crede hits a 10th-inning grand slam to end an 8-4 win against the Blue Jays, capping a 7-RBI night. He had hit a two-run homer in the 9th to tie the game at 4.

-- Sunday, Sept. 8, 2002: Crede singles in the winning run, capping a four-run 9th to beat the Indians 7-6. As mentioned, Thomas hit a three-run homer in the inning.

-- Sunday, May 25, 2003: Crede hits a three-run, two-out 12th-inning home run to end an 8-5 win over the Tigers.

-- Wednesday, April 14, 2004: Crede singles with the bases loaded to break a 9-9 tie in the 9th against the Royals. Billy Koch gave up four runs in the top of the inning on back to back home runs to Stairs and Sweeney. A Konerko single tied the game and set up Crede.

-- Saturday, May 1, 2004: Crede hits a sacrifice fly in the 10th inning to give the White Sox a 4-3 win over the Blue Jays in the first game of a doubleheader.

-- Saturday, July 24, 2004: Crede hits a one-out home run to end a 7-6 game against the Tigers.

-- Thursday, Sept. 23, 2004: Crede hits a one-out, three-run home run to erase a 6-4 deficit and end a 7-6 win against the Royals. He had led off the eighth with a home run to begin a three-run rally that chipped into the 6-1 deficit.

-- Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2005: Crede hits his second home run of the night leading off the 10th to give the Sox a 7-6 win over the surging Indians.

-- Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2005: Crede doubles in Pablo Ozuna with two outs in the 9th inning to beat the Angels 2-1 and begin the most thrilling eight-game winning streak in White Sox history.

-- Friday, May 25, 2007: Crede hits a 9th-inning sacrifice fly to score Iguchi in a 5-4 win over Tampa Bay. His season ended on June 4.

-- Thursday, April 24, 2008: Crede singles in Quentin with one out in the 9th in a 7-6 win against the Yankees.

You can debate how significant this is. Crede has been in the right place at the right time. But so are a lot of players.

It should also be noted that on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2004, Ross Gload pinch-hit for Crede in the 9th inning to drive in the winning run in a 4-3 victory over the A's.

In sampling only home games where Crede drove in runs, there were other players who drove in winning runs that ended, of course. Dye twice got game-ending hits. Uribe twice ended games with RBIs, including a game-ending walk. Cintron got a game-winning hit in an inning where Crede flied out in a position to win a game. Valentin had one such game, driving in Crede. Thomas ended a game with a sacrifice fly, and of course, played for a decade with the Sox before Crede came up. I was at a Saturday night game in 2000, for example, where Thomas doubled in Valentin in the 10th inning for a win.

This also doesn't take into account big ninth-inning hits on the road and big hits in the bottom of the eighth that give the team a lead for the closer to protect.

This doesn't mean Crede is the best hitter on the Sox. Many of these big hits required help from other players. Baseball is a team sport. But the above dramatics show Crede doesn't have a problem with being a hero. Couple that with defensive plays that win games, and sometimes end games, and you can see why so many fans want to keep Crede.

It seems likely Crede will leave the Sox at the end of the season. When he moves onto another team, unfortunately for him, he won't take this legacy with him.

It's Dankerific
04-25-2008, 03:08 PM
For that to happen in that many games is AWESOME. Its clear Joe is clutch. The Joe-haters aren't in touch with reality. Maybe if Joe didn't pop up so much in innings 1-5 he wouldnt have to win the game late...

PaleHosed
04-25-2008, 03:09 PM
With a visit to the Baseball Retrosheet it wasn't difficult to figure out how many games Joe Crede ended with RBIs. Including the 2005 ALCS, it has happened 11 times on the south side of Chicago. That's a lot when you consider most games aren't won in the home half of the last inning.

That 11 seems pretty impressive... I am curious, for comparisons sake, how many 9th inning opportunities he has had to produce game winners...

WhiteSox5187
04-25-2008, 03:12 PM

-- Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2002: Crede hits a 10th-inning grand slam to end an 8-4 win against the Blue Jays, capping a 7-RBI night. He had hit a two-run homer in the 9th to tie the game at 4.

-- Sunday, Sept. 8, 2002: Crede singles in the winning run, capping a four-run 9th to beat the Indians 7-6. As mentioned, Thomas hit a three-run homer in the inning.

-- Sunday, May 25, 2003: Crede hits a three-run, two-out 12th-inning home run to end an 8-5 win over the Tigers.

-- Wednesday, April 14, 2004: Crede singles with the bases loaded to break a 9-9 tie in the 9th against the Royals. Billy Koch gave up four runs in the top of the inning on back to back home runs to Stairs and Sweeney. A Konerko single tied the game and set up Crede.

-- Saturday, May 1, 2004: Crede hits a sacrifice fly in the 10th inning to give the White Sox a 4-3 win over the Blue Jays in the first game of a doubleheader.

-- Saturday, July 24, 2004: Crede hits a one-out home run to end a 7-6 game against the Tigers.

-- Thursday, Sept. 23, 2004: Crede hits a one-out, three-run home run to erase a 6-4 deficit and end a 7-6 win against the Royals. He had led off the eighth with a home run to begin a three-run rally that chipped into the 6-1 deficit.

-- Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2005: Crede hits his second home run of the ninth leading off the 10th to give the Sox a 7-6 win over the surging Indians.

-- Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2005: Crede doubles in Pablo Ozuna with two outs in the 9th inning to beat the Angels 2-1 and begin the most thrilling eight-game winning streak in White Sox history.

-- Friday, May 25, 2007: Crede hits a 9th-inning sacrifice fly to score Iguchi in a 5-4 win over Tampa Bay. His season ended on June 4.

-- Thursday, April 24, 2008: Crede singles in Quentin with one out in the 9th in a 7-6 win against the Yankees.

You can debate how significant this is. Crede has been in the right place at the right time. But so are a lot of players.

It should also be noted that on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2004, Ross Gload pinch-hit for Crede in the 9th inning to drive in the winning run in a 4-3 victory over the A's.

In sampling only home games where Crede drove in runs, there were other players who drove in winning runs that ended, of course. Dye twice got game-ending hits. Uribe twice ended games with RBIs, including a game-ending walk. Cintron got a game-winning hit in an inning where Crede flied out in a position to win a game. Valentin had one such game, driving in Crede. Thomas ended a game with a sacrifice fly, and of course, played for a decade with the Sox before Crede came up. I was at a Saturday night game in 2000, for example, where Thomas doubled in Valentin in the 10th inning for a win.

This also doesn't take into account big ninth-inning hits on the road and big hits in the bottom of the eighth that give the team a lead for the closer to protect.

This doesn't mean Crede is the best hitter on the Sox. Many of these big hits required help from other players. Baseball is a team sport. But the above dramatics show Crede doesn't have a problem with being a hero. Couple that with defensive plays that win games, and sometimes end games, and you can see why so many fans want to keep Crede.

It seems likely Crede will leave the Sox at the end of the season. When he moves onto another team, unfortunately for him, he won't take this legacy with him.
I was at that game, it was '70s night I believe and moved us to within three games of first...that was really the high water mark for the season.

AZChiSoxFan
04-25-2008, 03:17 PM

I had the great fortune of being in attendance at this game. Of all the regular season MLB games I've attended, this one might be my favorite. It was an all around great night for baseball. IIRC, the weather was fairly cool. I'm thinking the high that day in Chicago was right around 70 degrees (which was like Heaven for me, since I was visiting from Phx in July). It was a Sat night at the Cell and it was either sold out or very close to sold out. The "feel" in the stadium that night was similar to a playoff atmosphere. IIRC, the only time that night the Sox ever lead was when Crede homered to win the game. I believe the win moved the Sox into first place by half a game. Unfortunately, the next day the Sox got blasted and things headed downhill fast right after that.

Corlose 15
04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I think I remember watching that KC game where Koch gave up those two homers. After he gave up the second one you could hear somebody over the WGN broadcast clearly yell, "Why don't you serve up another one Koch, you *******!?". It was pretty funny. :D:

TDog
04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
That 11 seems pretty impressive... I am curious, for comparisons sake, how many 9th inning opportunities he has had to produce game winners...

I don't work for Elias Sport Bureau. I didn't look at every home box score in Crede's career, so I can't tell you that. I also don't know if during Crede's career anyone has had more than 11 game-ending RBIs for the Sox.

I did find one game where Crede flied out and another player got the game-winning hit. Opportunity is also a vague concept. Any player who comes up with the score tied in the bottom of the ninth or later has the opportunity to end the game, but a baseball researcher could go back and find occasions where players succeeded or failed in such situations with runners in scoring position. There was one game where Crede doubled during a game inning rally but didn't end the game, just as there was a game where he doubled during a rally where he fell short.

In the May 25, 2003 game, he was 1-for-2 in game-ending opportunities, but everyone else on the team went 0-fer. That included Ordonez, who hit into a doubleplay three batters before Crede's homer.

SoxGirl4Life
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM

I was at this game :). I screamed so hard I couldn't talk for 3 days!

WhiteSox5187
04-25-2008, 03:27 PM
I was at this game :). I screamed so hard I couldn't talk for 3 days!
One of the most underrated parts of that game was that Crede took TWO strikes so Pablo could get his read and steal off of Santana. And then BOOM! I can still close my eyes and see it. And the expression of disgust in Joe Buck's voice...haha.

spiffie
04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't work for Elias Sport Bureau. I didn't look at every home box score in Crede's career, so I can't tell you that. I also don't know if during Crede's career anyone has had more than 11 game-ending RBIs for the Sox.
I don't know exactly, but I know in the last 4 seasons he is 2-17 in tie games in the 9th inning with 3 RBI's.

Corlose 15
04-25-2008, 03:30 PM
I had the great fortune of being in attendance at this game. Of all the regular season MLB games I've attended, this one might be my favorite. It was an all around great night for baseball. IIRC, the weather was fairly cool. I'm thinking the high that day in Chicago was right around 70 degrees (which was like Heaven for me, since I was visiting from Phx in July). It was a Sat night at the Cell and it was either sold out or very close to sold out. The "feel" in the stadium that night was similar to a playoff atmosphere. IIRC, the only time that night the Sox ever lead was when Crede homered to win the game. I believe the win moved the Sox into first place by half a game. Unfortunately, the next day the Sox got blasted and things headed downhill fast right after that.

I was at that game. :(: Mike Jackson gave up a Grand Slam to Marcus Thames or some such schmuck on the Tigers.

Oblong
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM

I was at this game. We came to Chicago for a bachelor party and after partying all day and night on Friday and most of the afternoon on Saturday, we realized the Tigers were in town so we went to the game to "relax" and sober up.

But I thought it was Aaron Rowand that hit it. We were just walking out of the stadium towards the train when we heard the roar. 15 drunk guys had to get a head start to figure out how to get back downtown.

I really like watching Crede hit. He doesn't try to do too much. Let's the pitch dictate the action. I remember a Sunday game last year at Comerica Park early in the season. He watched two Zumaya fastballs right down the plate and then just lined the next one to drive a run in. It was like he had it planned all along.

hawkjt
04-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Somebody has the wrong stats and it is not you.. heard on Sportcenter last nite that it was crede's 8th walkoff rbi...then heard mcneil repeat it today on ESPN1000.

Somebody needs to do a fact check on that outfit.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-25-2008, 03:50 PM
One of the most underrated parts of that game was that Crede took TWO strikes so Pablo could get his read and steal off of Santana. And then BOOM! I can still close my eyes and see it. And the expression of disgust in Joe Buck's voice...haha.

If I'm not mistaken I believe it was Kelvim Escobar and not Ervin Santana on the mound in that game.

TDog
04-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Somebody has the wrong stats and it is not you.. heard on Sportcenter last nite that it was crede's 8th walkoff rbi...then heard mcneil repeat it today on ESPN1000.

Somebody needs to do a fact check on that outfit.

I read that in the game thread, which inspired me to look at the box scores. Actually, if you exclude the ALCS game (as if any Sox fan could) and the sacrifice flies, I think you have eight game-ending hits.

I don't use the ESPN term "walk-off" because I despise ESPN and won't perpetuate their corruption of the language.

asindc
04-25-2008, 04:16 PM
If I'm not mistaken I believe it was Kelvim Escobar and not Ervin Santana on the mound in that game.

It was Escobar.

Bigfoot38
04-25-2008, 04:27 PM

I was there too!!! that was such a great night. Heckling Nook Logan and his oversized wannabe Juan Pierre pants. Crowd chanting Crede during the Fireworks show.

kingpin_rcs
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
-- Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2005: Crede hits his second home run of the night leading off the 10th to give the Sox a 7-6 win over the surging Indians.

This was arguably the hit that saved the season. It was also the game that inspired my sig (which is borrowed from PH6)...

asindc
04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
This was arguably the hit that saved the season. It was also the game that inspired my sig (which is borrowed from PH6)...

I think this is why some Sox fans want Crede re-signed at any cost. BTW, that was one of my favorite moments as a Sox fan, ever.

WhiteSox5187
04-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I think this is why some Sox fans want Crede re-signed at any cost. BTW, that was one of my favorite moments as a Sox fan, ever.
Well, that at the fact he's been our best third baseman since Ventura and before Ventura you really have to go waaay back to Bill Melton. So perhaps it's the fear of another revolving door at third?

C-Dawg
04-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I had the great fortune of being in attendance at this game. Of all the regular season MLB games I've attended, this one might be my favorite. It was an all around great night for baseball. IIRC, the weather was fairly cool. I'm thinking the high that day in Chicago was right around 70 degrees (which was like Heaven for me, since I was visiting from Phx in July). It was a Sat night at the Cell and it was either sold out or very close to sold out. The "feel" in the stadium that night was similar to a playoff atmosphere. IIRC, the only time that night the Sox ever lead was when Crede homered to win the game. I believe the win moved the Sox into first place by half a game.

I was there too; it was my only game in the UD in all of 2004. Fireworks night, too. The Sox overcame a 5 or 6 run deficit to tie it in the 8th and win in the 9th. When Joe's bat made contact with the ball, everyone in the entire park knew it was gone.

With the Sox back in first (for what turned out to be the last time that season), all was right with the world on that night.