PDA

View Full Version : LOL! Tune in ESPN Classic!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-30-2002, 04:49 PM
They're showing Game 4 of the 1984 NLCS. This is the game Steve Garvey wins for San Diego with a walk-off dinger to force Game 5. We all know what happened with Leon Durham in Game 5.

:crossdresser
"Oh my! I bet I can guess why they called him the Bull!"

moochpuppy
04-30-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
They're showing Game 4 of the 1984 NLCS. This is the game Steve Garvey wins for San Diego with a walk-off dinger to force Game 5. We all know what happened with Leon Durham in Game 5.

Thad Bosley could only hope to catch that ball.

I all respect the Cubs should have been in the series that year. At least the Sox have never blew a 2-0 lead in a best of 5. Too bad for the Cubs they didn't get those lights sooner or they would have had home field in that series with the Padres.

cheeses_h_rice
04-30-2002, 05:07 PM
I admit it. I was a Flubs fan back in 1984. In fact, I was a Flubs fan and Sox fan for my entire youth until I tired of most sports during my post-college days in the late '80s.

I remember my dad had tickets to the first game of the playoffs, when the Flubbies won something like 13-0. We were all convinced that they were going to the Series after the way they convincingly took the first 2 games from the Pads.

And then Leon Durham (among other things). I will never forget the taunts and catcall of all the anti-Chicago people in my dormitory at Notre Dame, whooping it up at one of the biggest chokes in recent sports history. Ah, memories.

(Of course, these same people had to eat crow when the Bears annihilated the Pats just over a year later!)

PaleHoseGeorge
04-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Too bad for the Cubs they didn't get those lights sooner or they would have had home field in that series with the Padres.

As a Twins fan, you are forgiven for being sucked into believing another of those Fantasyland fairytales Flubbie fans believe and repeat to themselves ad nauseaum.

The Cubs DID NOT lose home-field for the NLCS. The regular NLCS playoff schedule gave the West division champion (San Diego) the last 3 games of the Best of 5 series. THE CUBS WERE DENIED NOTHING!!!!

Had the Baby Bears made it to the World Series, they would have lost a fourth home game in the deciding Game 7. Of course the Flubbies choked long before that ever happened--a fact their stupid fans just can't seen to get through their thick skulls.

It's unbelievable just how many bald-faced lies that team and their fans propagate.

:crossdresser
"I love it when PHG works himself into a lather!"

VeeckAsInWreck
04-30-2002, 06:18 PM
Had they won their series against the Padres, wouldn't the sCrUBS have had to play their games at Comiskey Park? That would have been something huh? A packed house cheering for the Tigers! :smile:

PaleHoseGeorge
04-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Had they won their series against the Padres, wouldn't the sCrUBS have had to play their games at Comiskey Park? That would have been something huh? A packed house cheering for the Tigers! :smile:

The Cubs World Series home games at Wrigley would have been moved to games 3,4, and 5 which fell on days MLB was less concerned about TV ratings ("less" being a relative term).

For subsequent years (1985-87), MLB "asked" the Cubune to specify an alternate ballpark for their home playoff games. The Cubune "obliged" by choosing Busch Stadium in St. Louis. This became the basis for all sorts of whining by Flubs fans and crocodile tears by the Cubune about the necessity of lights at the Urinal. Surprise, surprise--they got their way.

Just one more charade played by the Cubune on behalf of their corporate bottom line.

Did you hear the one about Wrigley's plastic netting protecting fans from terrorists?

:lynch&mcfail
"We're very lucky our fans have no brains."