PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment by Ozzie on Fields

oeo
04-24-2008, 09:32 PM
He says Fields will play in the big leagues this year. He doesn't know where, or how, but that he deserves to be up here.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080424&content_id=2582983&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lorenzo Barcelo
04-24-2008, 10:09 PM
:hawk

Where's he gonna play? Seriously Josh and Ehren deserve to be up here, but there's really no room.

doublem23
04-24-2008, 10:12 PM
September call-ups are only about 4 months away. :cool:

NADA SURF
04-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Fields could bring a lot in a trade...
What area do you guys think the Sox should try to deal for?

Boondock Saint
04-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Quotes like this just make me beam, because it reminds me that Crede is back.

WhiteSox5187
04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Unless we lock up Crede, we shouldn't trade Fields.

Trav
04-25-2008, 03:39 PM
So does anyone know how his defense is coming along?

HitMan_naMtiH
04-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Maybe he's implying that were keepin Crede

HawkTheGM
04-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Bullpen BULLPEN BULLPEN

WhiteSox5187
04-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe he's implying that were keepin Crede
I don't think Ozzie has a whole lot of say in that...as for Fields D, right now he has a .925 FLD% with 24 attempts in fifteen games with thirteen put outs.

getonbckthr
04-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Bullpen BULLPEN BULLPEN
Trade Josh Fields for Bullpen?
Let him play 2B for 2 months. See how he adjusts. It cannot hurt.

doublem23
04-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I don't think Ozzie has a whole lot of say in that...as for Fields D, right now he has a .925 FLD% with 24 attempts in fifteen games with thirteen put outs.

There's no statistic available that tells you how good or bad a player is defensively.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-25-2008, 03:58 PM

:rolling:

Seriously, if the Sox wanted him at second base he'd be playing that position in Charlotte to sharpen his skills there.

jabrch
04-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Bullpen BULLPEN BULLPEN

You don't trade Josh Fields for BULLPEN help. That's just sillyness.

If you trade Fields it is because we are able to resign Crede to an extension - in that case we can use Fields to get us an equivalent (age and skill) SS or C.

Rocky Soprano
04-25-2008, 04:28 PM

With how many strikeouts?

hi im skot
04-25-2008, 04:29 PM

Hilarious.

Bigfoot38
04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Bullpen BULLPEN BULLPEN

Bullpen is the hardest position to trade for especially this time of year:scratch:

Is there some kind of store to purchase top 10 quality 2B. I looked on Amazon.com, Buy.com, and Ebay for "White Sox 2B" and all I found were baseball cards of Ray Durham and Nellie Fox....:(:

:help:

Tragg
04-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Young talent. That's the weakness of this organization. We aren't getting a difference maker this year, unless it's a rent, which would be a horrible idea.
And for sure don't trade him for middle relievers or bullpen. .
You won't find better credentials than, say, Linebrink for middle relief. And Dotel is close....and that is why trading talent for middle relief is a bad idea.
Interesting how people give up on him, but want to sign Crede - the crede they gave up on his first 2 years in the league.

Frater Perdurabo
04-25-2008, 08:01 PM
In a perfect world, Fields is the DH of the future when Thome retires.

And until Crede is re-signed, Fields should be kept.

If Crede were to be re-signed, and another team offered a solid starting pitcher like Roy Oswalt or Ian Snell for a package centered around Fields, I would do the deal then. That way, Contreras could be moved to the pen.

Elephant
04-25-2008, 08:03 PM
:hawk

Where's he gonna play? Seriously Josh and Ehren deserve to be up here, but there's really no room.

Yes there is: demote Ramirez and dump MacDougal. Problem solved.

fquaye149
04-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Why not, instead of trading Fields for bullpen help, don't we try him out in the bullpen?

Bigfoot38
04-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Why not, instead of trading Fields for bullpen help, don't we try him out in the bullpen?

haha well played

Daver
04-25-2008, 08:12 PM

That would work with Anderson, but not Fields.

Elephant
04-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Fields should manage. He's a good hitter..how hard could it be? :shrug:

fquaye149
04-25-2008, 08:17 PM
That would work with Anderson, but not Fields.

If you put Anderson in the bullpen he'd spend the whole game scoping bleacher babes.

In other words:

:anderson:
"PUT ME IN THE BULLPEN"

Daver
04-25-2008, 08:22 PM
If you put Anderson in the bullpen he'd spend the whole game scoping bleacher babes.

In other words:

:anderson:
"PUT ME IN THE BULLPEN"

Perhaps, but Brian has pitched in the past.

fquaye149
04-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Perhaps, but Brian has pitched in the past.

attitude, etc.

NADA SURF
04-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Unless we lock up Crede, we shouldn't trade Fields.

It may not matter if they're going to keep Crede or not. It's a possibility that Fields is not a major-league third baseman. If they get something of equal value for Fields, it should upgrade another position. If they then lose Crede, they'll just have to go get another third baseman...

I'd bet Ramirez could play 3B.

NADA SURF
04-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Young talent. That's the weakness of this organization. We aren't getting a difference maker this year, unless it's a rent, which would be a horrible idea.
And for sure don't trade him for middle relievers or bullpen. .
You won't find better credentials than, say, Linebrink for middle relief. And Dotel is close....and that is why trading talent for middle relief is a bad idea.
Interesting how people give up on him, but want to sign Crede - the crede they gave up on his first 2 years in the league.
I'm certainly not giving up on Fields at all...I think he's going to be a great hitter and I hope it's with the Sox...
I just don't want to see him wasted for a season when the Sox could likely get something big in return if they're not going to use him.
I still don't understand why they gave up on him in LF so quickly. He wouldn't have to be a world beater out there if he was going to pop 35-40 HRs with 100 RBI.

Grzegorz
04-27-2008, 05:33 AM

Assuming that your intention is to have Josh Fields play second base at the major league level I have to disagree with you.

Yes, it can hurt.

Weakening the defense up the middle is not a good idea.

Mohoney
04-27-2008, 04:56 PM
You don't trade Josh Fields for BULLPEN help. That's just sillyness.

If you trade Fields it is because we are able to resign Crede to an extension - in that case we can use Fields to get us an equivalent (age and skill) SS or C.

I would include good starting pitching in there, but you're right about dealing him for bullpen help being a silly proposition.