PDA

View Full Version : Braves fan breaks Pirates fan's jaw

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2008, 02:43 PM
As if being a Pirates fan isn't painful enough

Link (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2008/04/23/bravesfight_0424.html)

kjhanson
04-24-2008, 02:48 PM
That's kind of surprising. I've been to three Braves games within the past couple years and all the fans seem to be asleep by the 8th inning. Good ballpark and a good team but the fans just aren't that into it. They seem to be nice people though.

UofCSoxFan
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Braves Pirates...didn't really think that would be an intense rivalry to inspire fights in the stands. I mean talk about two apathetic fan bases.

DSpivack
04-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Braves Pirates...didn't really think that would be an intense rivalry to inspire fights in the stands. I mean talk about two apathetic fan bases.

Braves fans are mostly apathetic, but there are plenty of drunk idiots at Turner Field, as at many other stadiums.

Foulke You
04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
I can't attest to Braves fans although any team that doesn't sell out playoff games probably has an apathetic fanbase. However, I was impressed with Pirates fans when I went out last year in June to PNC. They were very knowledgable and friendly and loved their Pirates. However, I think they are just completely numb to the losing at this point. (and rightfully so) The Pirates haven't even sniffed contention since 1992. Think about how numb everyone here felt after the 2007 season. Imagine going through about 16 straight seasons like 2007 and you'll get a good idea where that Pirates fanbase is at right now mentally. I salute the fans that still show up at PNC for that garbage year in and year out. Unlike a certain Chicago north side team though, the Pirates fans I spoke to seemed to seethe that ownership has let the franchise erode like this. An unofficial t shirt sold outside PNC sums it up: "Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball: Rebuilding Since 1992"

DoItAllJoeHall
04-25-2008, 02:34 PM

It used to be a good rivalry in the early 90s

Chez
04-25-2008, 03:04 PM

Sid Bream? Francisco Cabrera?

UofCSoxFan
04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
That was 16 years ago and the Pirates have been irrelevant ever since. Not really the makings of a rivalry.

Its not like the Mariners and Yankees are big rivals even though they had some classic playoff battles a decade ago.

doublem23
04-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Its not like the Mariners and Yankees are big rivals even though they had some classic playoff battles a decade ago.

Don't tell M's fans that.

http://redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040815&content_id=828911&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

Jurr
04-25-2008, 03:31 PM
There's nothing more annoying for a person than getting their jaw wired shut.
That really sucks. On the bright side, if the person was a little on the heavy side, they'll experience great weight loss!!!!:redneck

hi im skot
04-25-2008, 07:17 PM
There's nothing more annoying for a person than getting their jaw wired shut.

Kanye West agrees.

Brian26
04-25-2008, 08:44 PM

I think it has nothing to do with a baseball rivalry and everything to do with a bunch of guys getting plowed and violent. Sad story.

PKalltheway
04-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I can't attest to Braves fans although any team that doesn't sell out playoff games probably has an apathetic fanbase. However, I was impressed with Pirates fans when I went out last year in June to PNC. They were very knowledgable and friendly and loved their Pirates. However, I think they are just completely numb to the losing at this point. (and rightfully so) The Pirates haven't even sniffed contention since 1992. Think about how numb everyone here felt after the 2007 season. Imagine going through about 16 straight seasons like 2007 and you'll get a good idea where that Pirates fanbase is at right now mentally. I salute the fans that still show up at PNC for that garbage year in and year out. Unlike a certain Chicago north side team though, the Pirates fans I spoke to seemed to seethe that ownership has let the franchise erode like this. An unofficial t shirt sold outside PNC sums it up: "Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball: Rebuilding Since 1992"
Agreed. I was in Pittsburgh in August of last year, and everybody there was just like you said. The people there were really friendly, and they loved the Pirates. It's really sad that the Pirates have withered to the point of complete irrelevance for the most part in Pittsburgh, when at one time, they were one of the best teams in baseball with the likes of Stargell and Clemente playing for them.

103 screwball
04-25-2008, 10:33 PM
That's crap. I hope they catch the guy on film and bust him. If he started something, then fine. If he got hospitalized for wearing a Pirates hat, then that is just assault and battery. This is not European soccer.