PDA

View Full Version : Cubs looking really good

Pages : [1] 2

kittle42
04-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I watched them obliterate the Mets the last two days playing solid baseball and just watched Ramirez hang another blown save on Manny Corpas.

Like it or not, this team is likely to make a really good run this year.

chisoxmike
04-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah, so?

They're a good team. So what?

They'll win their division, then get bounced in the playoffs by the Diamondbacks, a far superior team.

veeter
04-23-2008, 10:24 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

kittle42
04-23-2008, 10:25 PM
By the way, is this a Cubs home game? Crowd is so pro-Cubbie, it's sick.

chisoxmike
04-23-2008, 10:26 PM

It is sick. Must be awful being a Rockies fan at your home stadium. Its worse then the Red Sox playing at The Cell.

kittle42
04-23-2008, 10:27 PM
It is sick. Must be awful being a Rockies fan at your home stadium. Its worse then the Red Sox playing at The Cell.

Sox/Indians games were terrible back when the Indians were awesome and the Sox were not so awesome.

chisoxmike
04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Kerry Wood has really surprised me the most.

chisoxmike
04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
:rolling: :rolling:

And Wood just blows the lead. TIE GAME!

kittle42
04-23-2008, 10:30 PM

He didn't look so good the last two hitters. But then again, how can you be expected to beat Scott Podsednik?

QCIASOXFAN
04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Scotty Pods!

chisoxmike
04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Cubs will probably still win. Rockies are frauds.

QCIASOXFAN
04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I really need a Cubs lose for tomorrow.:redneck

Foulke You
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
There are TONS of transplanted Chicagoans living in the Denver area. I know four native Chicagoans myself that either live there or used to live there. If you'll recall, Coors Field was also jam packed with Sox fans when we played them in interleague in 2006.

Blueprint1
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Cubs will probably still win. Rockies are frauds.

How did that team make the World Series?

veeter
04-23-2008, 10:35 PM
The D-Backs are far and away the best team in the NL.

chisoxmike
04-23-2008, 10:35 PM

They got hot the final month. They were flawless, they deserved it.

But, I think the Rockies won't sniff the postseason this year.

Foulke You
04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Two words my friend: "National League" :tongue:

oeo
04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
2008 Cubs- greatest team ever?

chisoxmike
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
2008 Cubs- greatest team ever?

They'll be the greatest 87 win team ever. Just like they were the greatest 85 win team last year.

kittle42
04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
The Cubs will win that division not only because they actually are a pretty good team, but of course because everyone else (including the Brewers - thanks Eric Gagne) stinks. This includes the Cards, who will be sniffing last before they sniff first for another extended period.

But really, Ramirez has been clutch, Lee is always solid, and Fukudome has been what was advertised, maybe with less power, but with exceptional plate discipline. DeRosa is a great player to have - a better Mackowiak.

Ah, and the great Kip Wells coughs it up.

chisoxmike
04-23-2008, 10:44 PM
The Cubs will win that division not only because they actually are a pretty good team, but of course because everyone else (including the Brewers - thanks Eric Gagne) stinks. This includes the Cards, who will be sniffing last before they sniff first for another extended period.

But really, Ramirez has been clutch, Lee is always solid, and Fukudome has been what was advertised, maybe with less power, but with exceptional plate discipline. DeRosa is a great player to have - a better Mackowiak.

All true.

QCIASOXFAN
04-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Weak.

veeter
04-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Why do teams continue to throw fastballs away to Theriot, when all he wants to do is shoot the ball to right? Nice scouting.

Blueprint1
Honestly I thought the Cubs were a very overrated team last year but this year they actually seem good.

manders_01
My Sox family, can you please cheer really loud for the Rox so I can leave this game a happy gal?

VenturaFan23
Corpas is on my fantasy team. That's two blown leads in two straight nights now. :angry:

Lip Man 1
Kittle:

Well they spent 300,000,000 on contracts less then two years ago, they BETTER be good.

Lip

VenturaFan23
04-23-2008, 10:49 PM
My Sox family, can you please cheer really loud for the Rox so I can leave this game a happy gal?

Oh don't worry, we are! :smile:

And I'm sorry you have to be around all those ******** tonight.

oeo
04-23-2008, 10:51 PM

When you're willing to pay up the ass for everything (including a Derosa), you'll get that.

They have a small window to actually do something...let's see if it actually happens.

I still like the D'Backs in the NL, though. Their pitching is superb with Webb and Haren at the top. Their young lineup isn't too shabby either.

Foulke You
04-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Kittle:

Well they spent 300,000 on contracts less then two years ago, they BETTER be good.

Lip
I believe you meant 300,000,000 but yes, you are correct. As Steve Stone pointed out when you spend a whopping 40,000,000 more than any other team in the worst division in baseball, you better damn well win it or something is terribly wrong.

I'll take a wait and see attitude about the Cubs this year. The NL is certainly diluted enough for them to make the postseason again but right now the D'backs look like the team to beat in the NL.

kittle42
04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
When you're willing to pay up the ass for everything (including a Derosa), you'll get that.

Apparently, they had a dollar and not just 50 cents.

veeter
04-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Zambrano, Hill, Lilly, Dempster and Marquis. Hardly the makings of a world champ.

Hitmen77
04-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I watched them obliterate the Mets the last two days playing solid baseball and just watched Ramirez hang another blown save on Manny Corpas.

We'll see - it's only April. A few days ago, the Sox looked like champs and the Cubs were barely avoiding a sweep vs Philly.

The one thing the Cubs definitely have going for them is their awful division. I don't doubt they could rack up a lot of wins this year by getting to play the Pirates, Astros, Reds, and Cardinals 18 times each.

Too bad for us if the Cubs make the playoffs again and we don't. We had a golden opportunity to turn the tide in market share in Chicago after '05 and we seem to be in the process of blowing it.

JB98
04-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Zambrano, Hill, Lilly, Dempster and Marquis. Hardly the makings of a world champ.

Yeah, the Cubs have one of the best lineups in the NL, but it's highly questionable that pitching staff will hold over the long haul.

Once you get past Z, it's pretty mediocre.

kittle42
04-23-2008, 10:59 PM
We'll see - it's only April. A few days ago, the Sox looked like champs and the Cubs were barely avoiding a sweep in Philly.

The difference is the Cubs may actually be good.

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:03 PM
The difference is the Cubs may actually be good.

And the Sox can't be? :scratch:

Please...

While people bring up that the Sox have done nothing but beat up on the Tigers this year....the Flubs have spent the year beating up on the Pirates and Reds (they're 7-6 against teams not named the Pirates and Reds). Now they get a struggling Rockies team, and follow that up with a terrible Nats team (rough road trip).

That's not to say they're not a good team. You're supposed to beat teams inferior than you. Still...their early record means as much as the Sox early record.

LoveYourSuit
04-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Without Soriano, the Cubs have a very well balanced line up.

But their SP is what will keep them from being a true WS contender.

They should had pursued Johan "all out" and unloaded that entire overrated farm system. They are one ACE horse away from being the real deal.

areilly
04-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: given their lineup and division, there is absolutely no reason the Cubs shouldn't make the playoffs this year. I doubt their collective ability to do much better than getting swept in the NLDS, but circumstances point to them taking the NLC without much problem.

If they want to prove me wrong by missing the postseason that'd be fine, but I'm working on strengthening my gag reflex to minimize the puking I'll be doing when the Trib, ESPN, et al start their "100 years - it's about time!" cheerleading come Labor Day.

TommyJohn
04-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Too bad for us if the Cubs make the playoffs again and we don't. We had a golden opportunity to turn the tide in market share in Chicago after '05 and we seem to be in the process of blowing it.

It would be nice if the Sox got going-because if they don't, this is going to be the wallowing mantra for the next ten years.

DumpJerry
04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
At the Sox game tonight, the Cubs game went completely blank on the out of town scoreboard around 8:30. All the other games were active on it, just the Cubs' game was blank. It never came back on.

I did not know if the Cubs were stinking it up and the Sox did not want to deal with mass suicides, Denver fell into a giant sink hole or Ozzie did not want to see what they were doing....

manders_01
04-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Oh don't worry, we are! :smile:

And I'm sorry you have to be around all those ******** tonight.

Um yeah, that ****ing sucked!!! :angry: I was really hopin the Rox would get out of their funk against the Scrubs. And I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty surprised Hurdle put Pods in. I'm so glad his speedy legs proved me wrong! :tongue:

I was under the impression that the Scrubs have continually gone deep in to their pen. How can they keep doin that?

And OMG, ****ing Scrubs fans. Errrrrrr! :angry: :angry: :angry: I did see a few Sox hats though.

The Sox and / or the Rox better win before I leave the country or I am going to be seriously perturbed!

kaufsox
04-23-2008, 11:46 PM
their division is their greatest asset, to be sure. 18 v. Reds, Pirates, and Astros? If they don't win the division that must be a disappointment. I'm amazed Wood hasn't been injured yet.

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-23-2008, 11:57 PM

It's 21 games into the season...

BadBobbyJenks
04-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Kittle:

Well they spent 300,000 on contracts less then two years ago, they BETTER be good.

Lip

Now thats Fiscal Responsibility!:redneck

The cubs offense is loaded, no doubt about that. That may be enough to get them the division over the Brewers, but I think they are a starter short(or two) to make noise in October.

scarsofthumper
04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Whenever Cubs fans rub it in my face that they've got such a lead in their divsion, I just remind them to remind me come October where they are.

Lip Man 1
04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Kittle:

The 50 cents / dollar line made me bust out laughing. Well played!

Lip

It's Time
04-24-2008, 12:34 AM

Please...
the Flubs have spent the year beating up on the Pirates and Reds (they're 7-6 against teams not named the Pirates and Reds). Now they get a struggling Rockies team, and follow that up with a terrible Nats team (rough road trip).

That's not to say they're not a good team. You're supposed to beat teams inferior than you. Still...their early record means as much as the Sox early record.

Well, you did leave out the fact they smoked a very good Mets team 15-2 over two games.

The funny part is that they are whipping teams with a 33 HR guy on the DL:o:

EndemicSox
04-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Probably a 90 win team at the moment, will not win the Series unless they acquire a second stud SP at the deadline(with that being said, if the friggin 2006 Cardinals can win a series, anything can happen)...I think they will try to find one, but I'm not sure who would be available...if the Brewers are out of it, they may try to move Sheets, Harden is another name that comes to mind...

ksimpson14
04-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, a Mets team coming off one of the biggest collapses in baseball history, except they added Santana, who the Cubs didn't face. They also have 2 starters hurt, meaning the Cubs also got to face a minor leaguer. Add in the schedule (Mets play late Sunday and get to Chicago at 4 am for a night game followed by a day game), and YAWN. That sure is not going to impress me on April 22, especially when the Phillies and Brewers handled you.

With both teams, the 'Possible World Series Matchup!!' crap has to stop, in 05 the Orioles were in first until late June, why do so many people forget how many times things change throughout a season, aren't you watching every year?

Domeshot17
04-24-2008, 01:52 AM
It is tough, we pretty much are taught to discard the cubs at all costs.

That said, their offense is for real. They are strong offensively at almost every position on the diamond. Lee-Aramis-Fukudome-Soriano have a shot to all be all stars. Theroit is scrappy and doing a good job at short. Their defense is very sketchy, but they are just going to mash.

Their starting pitching is still suspect. No one denies Zambrano has a chance to be one of the elite pitchers in baseball. But I STILL don't like Lilly as the 2 because for years he was just average. I think sooner or later NL teams will adjust to him. Hill has potential at 3 but he is streaky, and Dempster will probably tail off in the 2nd half as teams see him more. However, you have to really like what their bullpen can do.

I think this is a team that is built for a season, not a playoff run. They will win 93-95 games, and cruise to the playoffs. However, when you are talking about Zambrano matching up against Santana or Webb most likely, he is the weaker in both cases. If it is AZ, Haren> Lilly and if he holds up Unit> Hill. If it goes game 4 Owings should match up well with Dumpster.

Like I said, the Cub offense is one of the top 3-4 in the league, AL or NL. However, Pitching wins in the playoffs, and that is the weakspot.

NADA SURF
04-24-2008, 02:28 AM
The D-Backs are far and away the best team in the NL.
..."I'm the tallest guy in Japan."

santo=dorf
04-24-2008, 04:26 AM

No, no, no. He's a stat-padder and leagues behind Joe Crede.

:rolleyes:

white sox bill
04-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Can't deny they are hot...let them peak in April....actually I hope they do establish an early lead in the Comedy Central only to gag in September....but they are a BIG fish in a SMALL puddle

soxpride724
04-24-2008, 08:22 AM
They seem to have it together and are lookin pretty good. With that being said, I can't wait for this team to choke. But beacause they are in a weak National Leauge, I think they can go deep in October so I guess I have now become a dbacks fan.

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, you did leave out the fact they smoked a very good Mets team 15-2 over two games.

The funny part is that they are whipping teams with a 33 HR guy on the DL:o:
A guy who up till his injury this season had been a black hole at the top of the lineup. Put into perspective

Soriano
BA: .175
HR: 2
RBI: 5
OBP: .230
SLG: .298

Uribe
BA: .167
HR: 1
RBI: 8
OBP: .225
SLG: .273

So they are getting nearly the same production out of their leadoff man as we are of Juan Uribe, our worst hitter by far and possibly one of the worst regular starters in the league. I'm not saying overall they are better off without Soriano, although he's extremely over rated especially in the leadoff spot, but they are better off now without him.

Cuck the Fubs
04-24-2008, 08:57 AM

My thoughts exactly...................after Zambrano, there's not much.

They can outslug lousy teams, but if they reach the post season, that's not going to happen.

PatK
04-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Didn't they start out hot in 2006?

We know how that ended.

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Not to mention their pen has already pitched 79 innings :o:

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-24-2008, 09:18 AM
April 24. With their schedule, if they were .500, Cub fans would be rejoicing.

Get them some good NL teams (besides 2 at home with the Mets) and some IL play...and talk at the ASB.

FedEx227
04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
A guy who up till his injury this season had been a black hole at the top of the lineup. Put into perspective

Soriano
BA: .175
HR: 2
RBI: 5
OBP: .230
SLG: .298

Uribe
BA: .167
HR: 1
RBI: 8
OBP: .225
SLG: .273

So they are getting nearly the same production out of their leadoff man as we are of Juan Uribe, our worst hitter by far and possibly one of the worst regular starters in the league. I'm not saying overall they are better off without Soriano, although he's extremely over rated especially in the leadoff spot, but they are better off now without him.

I've always said that Cubs team would be 10 times better without Soriano. They can actually have a real leadoff man not, not a strikeout or solo home run hole at the top of the order.

No surprise they go on a tear once he hits the bench, can't wait for him to get back!

soxpride724
04-24-2008, 10:49 AM
I've always said that Cubs team would be 10 times better without Soriano. They can actually have a real leadoff man not, not a strikeout or solo home run hole at the top of the order.

No surprise they go on a tear once he hits the bench, can't wait for him to get back!

If they WERE smart they would trade him for another proven starter. But they are not so oh well...

Bill Naharodny
04-24-2008, 10:57 AM

All it takes is one Derrek Lee injury until you see the real Aramis Ramirez. He's great when Lee's around and hitting well. Otherwise, he wilts. The guy is a frontrunner, first, second and always.

Fukudome, on the other hand, is an excellent player.

Bill Naharodny
04-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Please...

While people bring up that the Sox have done nothing but beat up on the Tigers this year....the Flubs have spent the year beating up on the Pirates and Reds (they're 7-6 against teams not named the Pirates and Reds). Now they get a struggling Rockies team, and follow that up with a terrible Nats team (rough road trip).

I agree with everything you said here. The problem -- the thing that gives me a headache -- is that the Cubs will win many, many games against all these lousy teams, leading the media to proclaim Cub-mania, leading me to have to turn off my television and radio. I hate the National League.

chaerulez
04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
The Cubs with their offense don't really need outstanding starting pitching, just above average, assuming that their lineup can produce of course. I think what is more important, as the 2005 White Sox proved is a lights out bullpen.

Speaking of which, how sick is Carlos Marmol? Props to the Cubs for finding this guy. I remember the Cubs AA manager a couple years ago on 670 talking him up and was he right. I remember him saying Marmol is a converted catcher. But in 15 1/3 innings this season Marmol has 20 K's and 3 BB's. A 0.65 WHIP. If Wood can be a sub 3.50 ERA guy and Howry maintains his usual low 3.00 ERA they'll have one of the best pens in baseball. I think they need someone to have a Cliff Politte/Neal Cotts like career year though.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2008, 11:03 AM
They'll be the greatest 87 win team ever. Just like they were the greatest 85 win team last year.

The 1987 Twins might dispute that notion.

The Critic
04-24-2008, 11:13 AM
If they WERE smart they would trade him for another proven starter. But they are not so oh well...

His contract, along with his growing history of leg problems, will make him very difficult to trade IMO.
That contract could well become a huge albatross, if it isn't already.

It's Time
04-24-2008, 11:13 AM
85 wins? I will be stunned if they win less then 95. The could win 100 in the NL.

doublem23
04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
85 wins? I will be stunned if they win less then 95. The could win 100 in the NL.

No way do they have the pitching for that, both starting rotation or in their overly taxed bullpen.

It's Time
04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
No way do they have the pitching for that, both starting rotation or in their overly taxed bullpen.

Are you disagreeing with the 95 wins or 100?

PatK
04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Am I at WSI?

I don't see this much overestimation of the Cubs at Cubs websites

It's Time
04-24-2008, 11:19 AM

And did we not hear the same things about the beloved 2005 White Sox?

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
If the Cubs were in the AL Central, and we were in the NL Central, we would have a better record in NL Central than they do now. And they would have a worse record in the AL Central than we do now.

doublem23
04-24-2008, 11:22 AM
And did we not hear the same things about the beloved 2005 White Sox?

You're comparing the Sox's pitching staff in '05 to the Cubs' 08 staff?

:o:

The Cubs will win 80-90 games, get pummeled by Arizona whenever they cross paths, and they'll get to watch us win another World Series.

It's Time
04-24-2008, 11:24 AM
You're comparing the Sox's pitching staff in '05 to the Cubs' 08 staff?

:o:

Nooo!

Just we heard much of the same about how they were going to collapse, etc. I also think Hendry will obtain a starter at the deadline. If he does that, with that lineup, I think they become the favorites.

It's Time
04-24-2008, 11:26 AM
If the Cubs were in the AL Central, and we were in the NL Central, we would have a better record in NL Central than they do now. And they would have a worse record in the AL Central than we do now.

A quick check of the record they have in the central is 11-4. Not sure you could ask for too much better then that.

But then again, you're hatred for the Cubs will cloud those facts. :D:

voodoochile
04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Am I at WSI?

The thunderheads have a new toy to chew on...

veeter
04-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Nooo!

Just we heard much of the same about how they were going to collapse, etc. I also think Hendry will obtain a starter at the deadline. If he does that, with that lineup, I think they become the favorites.Hendry and the media believes they have enough pitching. All they needed to do was add Lieber and they were set. They mistook a quantity of warm bodies as a lot of good pitching. David Haugh said before the season that, 'the cubs have like seven or eight quality starters and the Sox have two.' I just think that as the cubs have played lights out and the Brewers have had a ton of bullpen struggles, only two games separate them. The Brewers are a very good team, that fights hard. They'll be a pebble in the lovable's shoe all year.

It's Time
04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Hendry and the media believes they have enough pitching. All they needed to do was add Lieber and they were set. They mistook a quantity of warm bodies as a lot of good pitching. David Haugh said before the season that, 'the cubs have like seven or eight quality starters and the Sox have two.' I just think that as the cubs have played lights out and the Brewers have had a ton of bullpen struggles, only two games separate them. The Brewers are a very good team, that fights hard. They'll be a pebble in the lovable's shoe all year.

I agree with that. I still think the Cubs add a starter at the deadline that makes them the favorites in the NL.

I can't believe I am talking about the Cubs in such a positive light, but they are a solid team.

That lineup is stacked. They have a rookie catcher who might knock in 100 runs and he hits 7th. :o:

veeter
04-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Not to mention their pen has already pitched 79 innings :o:Exactly. Have you noticed Lou is only demanding five innings out of each guy, other than Zambrano?

FedEx227
04-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Exactly. Have you noticed Lou is only demanding five innings out of each guy, other than Zambrano?

Yeah, that's not very good, that will eventually come back and bite you.

soxpride724
04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Exactly. Have you noticed Lou is only demanding five innings out of each guy, other than Zambrano?

Funny. If your team claims to have 6 or 7 quality starters, you would think they would stretch them further than 5 innings. There pen is gonna be taxed by the all star break.

TheVulture
04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
A quick check of the record they have in the central is 11-4. Not sure you could ask for too much better then that.

Other than the crosstown "classic", they haven't played the AL central since 2005. Certainly not in April of this year. Also, don't call Viva "hatred for the cubs will cloud this fact."

Cuck the Fubs
04-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, that's not very good, that will eventually come back and bite you.

When that happens..........will it be yet another "cubbie occurance" :scratch:

FedEx227
04-24-2008, 01:05 PM
When that happens..........will it be yet another "cubbie occurance" :scratch:

Goooaatt....eeeh....black cat....eeeeeh....Bartman!

champagne030
04-24-2008, 01:18 PM

Considering they're 6-0 against the second worst team in baseball, I wouldn't get all worked up about them being 11-4.

getonbckthr
04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I would not be surprised to see Jason Schmidt and Andruw Jones in Cubbie Blue by August 1st.

SoxGirl4Life
04-24-2008, 01:34 PM
I would not be surprised to see Jason Schmidt and Andruw Jones in Cubbie Blue by August 1st.

They need another big contract that can't hit his weight?

getonbckthr
04-24-2008, 01:46 PM
They need another big contract that can't hit his weight?
Its hard to imagine he will hit only.157 all season. It is also hard to imagine Reed being the answer all season. Then throw in that Zell (sp) has said in interviews that if a deal makes the team better he will allow it no matter the cost yes I could see it happen.

SoxGirl4Life
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Its hard to imagine he will hit only.157 all season. It is also hard to imagine Reed being the answer all season. Then throw in that Zell (sp) has said in interviews that if a deal makes the team better he will allow it no matter the cost yes I could see it happen.

I didn't know Zell was turning out his pockets so they could be competetive while they're on the selling block. I could see that, then too.

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Am I at WSI?

We could bitch about the Sox some more, but I'll save that for game/post-game threads.

PatK
04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
We could bitch about the Sox some more, but I'll save that for game/post-game threads.

I'd rather bitch about the Sox than talk about how awesome the Cubs are.

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Then why are you in WTS? :dunno:

spiffie
04-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Wrong turn at Albuquerque.

oeo
04-24-2008, 02:24 PM

I doubt that happens. If it did, I would be laughing my ass off.

SoxGirl4Life
04-24-2008, 02:35 PM

It is WAY too early in the season to churn Cub hatred. Trust me, I hate them, but six months of this? No thanks. We all have a pretty good idea what will happen if they make the playoffs, which will make this hoopla, in retrospect, all the funnier.

This is sweetly set up for them. They couldn't have gotten a better luck of the draw:

-The NL Central plays the AL East in interleague but the Cubs are the only team that will face neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees.
-Their first 40 games or so are against mediocre teams (they play 3 in Washington this weekend)
-and the 100 year story has the media salivating

If they don't get close this year, they never will.

PatK
04-24-2008, 03:15 PM

Well played

But I'm in WTS to make fun of them, for the most part (at least their stupid fanbase).

It's just funny seeing people talk about the Cubs going deep this season based on what has gone on less than a month into the season, while in 2005 you got reamed for saying the Sox could do so.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM

I'm talking about overall record. Against Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati, we'd proably be 11-4 or better.

Juice16
04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm talking about overall record. Against Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati, we'd proably be 11-4 or better.

I agree with that, it looks like the Rockies are about to blow another one.

Viva Medias B's
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree with that, it looks like the Rockies are about to blow another one.

The Rox bullpen ain't all that good. They are currently 6-5 when leading after the 7th. Meanwhile, Colorado just botched a double play. With the bases loaded and nobody out, shouldn't they have had the infield in? They didn't. Had it been in, they would have had a 4-2-3 DP.

Red Barchetta
04-24-2008, 04:07 PM
It is WAY too early in the season to churn Cub hatred. Trust me, I hate them, but six months of this? No thanks. We all have a pretty good idea what will happen if they make the playoffs, which will make this hoopla, in retrospect, all the funnier.

This is sweetly set up for them. They couldn't have gotten a better luck of the draw:

-The NL Central plays the AL East in interleague but the Cubs are the only team that will face neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees.
-Their first 40 games or so are against mediocre teams (they play 3 in Washington this weekend)

That's OK. Remember if they go on to have a successful season, we can always claim it was a White Sox head groundskeeper that removed the cursed field. :D:

manders_01
04-24-2008, 04:35 PM
The Rox bullpen ain't all that good. They are currently 6-5 when leading after the 7th. Meanwhile, Colorado just botched a double play. With the bases loaded and nobody out, shouldn't they have had the infield in? They didn't. Had it been in, they would have had a 4-2-3 DP.

I beg to differ. Manny's been struggling (and just lost his closer position to Fuentes) and two that are on IR have high ERAs but overall I've liked what I've seen.

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Well played

But I'm in WTS to make fun of them, for the most part (at least their stupid fanbase).

It's just funny seeing people talk about the Cubs going deep this season based on what has gone on less than a month into the season, while in 2005 you got reamed for saying the Sox could do so.
Agreed. I think 99% of the posters in this thread knows the Cubs won't do anything significant even if they do make the playoffs. It's a long season, and the Cubs and their fans are acting like it's September and they are in first rather than April and they are in first.

mark2olson
04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
meh, we'll see how they weather their first somber streak...

tstrike2000
04-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Agreed. I think 99% of the posters in this thread knows the Cubs won't do anything significant even if they do make the playoffs. It's a long season, and the Cubs and their fans are acting like it's September and they are in first rather than April and they are in first.

Same garbage, different year. I was listening to the Cubs fans on the Score a few nights ago saying that the Cubs will win 105 games or Hill and Dempster will each win about 15 games. You just have to consider the source and change the station.

WizardsofOzzie
04-24-2008, 04:45 PM
It will be fun to listen to the Score that week. I'm guessing something along these lines
:chickenlittle

mark2olson
04-24-2008, 04:52 PM
It will be fun to listen to the Score that week. I'm guessing something along these lines

Exactly!

soxpride724
04-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Agree 100%:D:

Brian26
04-24-2008, 06:50 PM

They should do well in that garbage division, but their starting pitching doesn't deserve to go very far in the playoffs. Lilly, Hill, and Dempster are all fourth starters. It's a shame that teams like Pittsburgh and Cincinnatti are one step from triple-a franchises at this point.

FielderJones
04-25-2008, 09:43 PM

Even mediocrity can jump up and bite you.

It's now at 2 (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/live/MLB_20080425_CHC@WAS), thanks to
:gascan

Tragg
04-25-2008, 09:59 PM
I see that Howry just did his Dotel impersonation.

JB98
04-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Will Nieves hit his first career homer on an 0-2 pitch from Howry.

The gas can strikes again!

ZombieRob
05-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Glorious Brewers win today.They Survived some bad Ned Yost managing and still foiled the Cubs. Must go out and buy myself a Brewer hat (the old one of course). Love seeing Kerry blow another one and all the sad faces on the Cub bench .Even loved Len sound all depressed.

JB98
05-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Glorious Brewers win today.They Survived some bad Ned Yost managing and still foiled the Cubs. Must go out and buy myself a Brewer hat (the old one of course). Love seeing Kerry blow another one and all the sad faces on the Cub bench .Even loved Len sound all depressed.

Just got to work and noticed the result of today's Cubs game.

Amusing.

ZombieRob
05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Just got to work and noticed the result of today's Cubs game.

Amusing.
They can't play the Reds and Pirates all the time. The only team they beat with some credibility so far is maybe the Mets. Lou flipping the cooler was great.

JB98
05-01-2008, 04:32 PM
They can't play the Reds and Pirates all the time. The only team they beat with some credibility so far is maybe the Mets. Lou flipping the cooler was great.

He flipped a cooler today? When Woody blew the save?

ZombieRob
05-01-2008, 04:34 PM
He flipped a cooler today? When Woody blew the save?
Yea ...funny stuff. And the Great Fukudome got a terrible jump on a Ryan Braun flyball. Of course me and my friends had to start the "right field bow".

Cat Thief
05-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I caught some of Pinella's post game......

Good stuff. :tongue:

doublem23
05-01-2008, 04:45 PM
:violin:

VenturaFan23
05-01-2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.facade.com/celebrity/photo/Jerry_Seinfeld.jpg
"That's a shame."

The Immigrant
05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Regardless of how things turned out in the end, Rickie Weeks should be beaten with a sock full of pennies for running through the stop sign with one out in the 9th.

ZombieRob
05-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Regardless of how things turned out in the end, Rickie Weeks should be beaten with a sock full of pennies for running through the stop sign with one out in the 9th.
Or the 3rd base coach sending Fielding(unless he ran the sign). Or Hart not bunting with runners on 1st and 2nd no one out. Then hits in to a dp.

white sox bill
05-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Just checked flubs box score....:bandance::bandance::)
Brew Crew rally with 3 in 9th!

Guess Lou's BP--I say 195/145

ZombieRob
05-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Just checked flubs box score....:bandance::bandance::)
Brew Crew rally with 3 in 9th!

Guess Lou's BP--I say 195/145
Yea ..he near blew up at a legitimate question by a reporter by responding by saying "do you think i'm stupid?" Then caught himself before for he dropped a few "bombs". There was a poster who had a pic of Lou screaming at an ump with lips puckered and hair piece frozen to his head . Have to find that one.

DumpJerry
05-01-2008, 06:07 PM
It cracks me up how Cub fans are always giving me a hard time because Ozzie is "crazy."

Have they looked at Lou? He is scary.

bryPt
05-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Yea ..he near blew up at a legitimate question by a reporter by responding by saying "do you think i'm stupid?" Then caught himself before for he dropped a few "bombs". There was a poster who had a pic of Lou screaming at an ump with lips puckered and hair piece frozen to his head . Have to find that one.

Bernstein brought up a good point. How come when Lou blows up, it is cute, but when Ozzie blows a gasket, he should be fired?

KingXerxes
05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I can see why Pinella blew up after the game.

It's never easy when you come to the realization that you don't have a closer, and you're stuck playing a left fielder because he's making the gross national product of Portugal each year.

Kerry Wood lacks either the brains or the stones to be a major league closer - very possibly both, Soriano is completely over-rated.

Methinks it's going to be a long summer for Lou Pinella.

getonbckthr
05-01-2008, 06:34 PM
My bet is Soriano returns to 2nd cause they acquired Dunn or Griffey and they will get a closer unless they decide Marmol is ready.

chisoxmike
05-01-2008, 06:41 PM
My bet is Soriano returns to 2nd cause they acquired Dunn or Griffey and they will get a closer unless they decide Marmol is ready.

:crossdresser:

chisoxfanatic
05-01-2008, 06:42 PM

The beauty of it all, however, is that they're STILL the Cubs and will find some way to **** everything up!!!

KingXerxes
05-01-2008, 06:46 PM

I don't know. They had a chance to use Marmol as a closer last year when Dempster was hurt - but they settled on Howry - even though Marmol was pitching well. He may not have the mental make-up to be a closer ala Latroy Hawkins (with Minnesota and the Cubs). Some guys just can't do it.

As far as Soriano goes, they can try to hide him anywhere they want, but it's not going to help. It must be in Pinella's contract that he has to start him and bat him in the leadoff spot. I hate to sound like such a cynic, but since they started busting everybody for steroid use I see almost everybody having a bad year as an old juicer. He may be one.

getonbckthr
05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
The beauty of it all, however, is that they're STILL the Cubs and will find some way to **** everything up!!!
Lots of evidence to support this. The fact that Arizona might be the best team in baseball helps out as well.:smile:

oeo
05-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Why do you come up with these stupid proposals for the Flubs? First it was Andruw Jones and Jason Schmidt, now it's Dunn or Griffey. Where do you pull this stuff from?

Both, BTW, make no sense and would make the team maybe marginally better.

chisoxmike
05-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Why do you come up with these stupid proposals for the Flubs? First it was Andruw Jones and Jason Schmidt, now it's Dunn or Griffey. Where do you pull this stuff from?

Both, BTW, make no sense and would make the team maybe marginally better.

Well, he's a known Cubs fan. Last October in the Cubs playoff games thread he was rooting for the Cubs. :tsk:

cheezheadsoxfan
05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Watched the game at work with a Brewers fan. Lots of fun. Then the Cubs announcers say the Brewers "stole" one from the Cubs. Well no. the closer blew the save.:rolleyes:

Railsplitter
05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Watched the game at work with a Brewers fan. Lots of fun. Then the Cubs announcers say the Brewers "stole" one from the Cubs. Well no. the closer blew the save.:rolleyes:

Kerry "Balsa" Woods.

I called a snatch of the Schlubs' post game show. Some caller was rying to avoid blaming Woods.

ZombieRob
05-01-2008, 10:24 PM
To add ..Watching Comcast tonight they said ZamWacko has a blister. Why is it, everytime he has a bad to mediocre outing...he has cramps dehydration blisters etc? I have never seen such spin control propaganda b.s in my life.

kittle42
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
To add ..Watching Comcast tonight they said ZamWacko has a blister. Why is it, everytime he has a bad to mediocre outing...he has cramps dehydration blisters etc? I have never seen such spin control propaganda b.s in my life.

It's like an NBA injred list "injury" - just make something up!

He pitched just fine - I don't understand why they felt the need to explain it away. Didn't he only give up 1 run in 6?

WhiteSox5187
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
It's like an NBA injred list "injury" - just make something up!

He pitched just fine - I don't understand why they felt the need to explain it away. Didn't he only give up 1 run in 6?
He had a high pitch count, but other than that I thought he looked great with some nasty stuff.

FedEx227
05-01-2008, 11:09 PM
I'll say it once and I'll say it again.

Soriano KILLS the Cubs. They are a far better team without him.

cws05champ
05-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Amen...I said they would go on a roll after he went down, they did. He took another bad route in the 9th, as did Fukudome on Braun's ball.

Grzegorz
05-02-2008, 04:42 AM

Yep, we Chicago White Sox fans know the Cubs are a better team without Soriano and the Cubs fans know it.

Better yet, the Cubs are stuck with him and we all know it.

The Dude
05-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Yep, we Chicago White Sox fans know the Cubs are a better team without Soriano and the Cubs fans know it.

Better yet, the Cubs are stuck with him and we all know it.

The Cubs are basically a closer and a trade of Soriano away from big things. However, I doubt they will succeed and will probably blow their best chance at a solid playoff run.

alohafri
05-02-2008, 08:24 AM
The Cubs are basically a closer and a trade of Soriano away from big things. However, I doubt they will succeed and will probably blow their best chance at a solid playoff run.

I don't think anyone is willing to take on that contract.

palehozenychicty
05-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Bernstein brought up a good point. How come when Lou blows up, it is cute, but when Ozzie blows a gasket, he should be fired?

Because Lou wears the lovable, huggable Cubbie blue and Ozzie wears the dangerous, gangster black uniforms!

oeo
05-02-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't think anyone is willing to take on that contract.

Especially when it looks as if he won't be stealing anything close to 40 bags a season again. No way anyone takes that contract on. He didn't deserve when he was a 40-40 guy, and he definitely doesn't deserve it now.

PatK
05-02-2008, 08:45 AM
I can see why Pinella blew up after the game.

It's never easy when you come to the realization that you don't have a closer, and you're stuck playing a left fielder because he's making the gross national product of Portugal each year.

*****!!!!

Just about every Cubs fan I talked to after that game wants Kerry Wood's head on a platter.

kittle42
05-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Especially when it looks as if he won't be stealing anything close to 40 bags a season again. No way anyone takes that contract on. He didn't deserve when he was a 40-40 guy, and he definitely doesn't deserve it now.

Soriano blows, everything considered. He is a good, maybe very quality, offensive player, but he is a butcher everywhere defensively, insists on hitting leadoff when he should be in an RBI spot in the lineup, is an injury risk, and whines like a baby.

Sad
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Soriano blows, everything considered. He is a good, maybe very quality, offensive player, but he is a butcher everywhere defensively, insists on hitting leadoff when he should be in an RBI spot in the lineup, is an injury risk, and whines like a baby.

well put
I like a couple of the guys on that team, but he sure as hell ain't one of them... or Ramirez for that matter...

santo=dorf
05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Soto looks really good. Rotoworld thinks he should start behind the plate the all-star game.

Tough to argue with .352/.448/.667 6 HR 24 RBI's, he's also thrown out 9 runners compared to 13 SB's.

That's signifcantly better than Toby Hall.

SoxGirl4Life
05-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Soto looks really good. Rotoworld thinks he should start behind the plate the all-star game.

Tough to argue with .352/.448/.667 6 HR 24 RBI's, he's also thrown out 9 runners compared to 13 SB's.

You think they'd agree to a trade? :D:

turners56
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but every time I start to hate the Cubs less and accept them more, some idiot Cubs fan comes up to me (in real life or the internet) and pisses me off.

TDog
05-06-2008, 07:01 PM

If the Sox had a backup catcher putting up those kinds of numbers, Sox fans might not be obsessing over the Cubs.

From what I've been reading at WSI, though, I have to wonder if it's Greg Walker's fault the Sox don't have a backup catcher putting up those kinds of numbers.

kitekrazy
05-06-2008, 07:30 PM

He's the Cub's version of Rex Grossman.

santo=dorf
05-06-2008, 10:08 PM
If the Sox had a backup catcher putting up those kinds of numbers, Sox fans might not be obsessing over the Cubs.

From what I've been reading at WSI, though, I have to wonder if it's Greg Walker's fault the Sox don't have a backup catcher putting up those kinds of numbers.
Some people said they would take Soto over AJ before the 2008 season and they were laughed at. Personally I think AJ is declining (cue the Homefish graph) but couldn't make a rock solid decision of taking a rookie over him. Looks like the Cubs might finally develop their first good positional prospect since Mark Grace.

kittle42
05-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Some people said they would take Soto over AJ before the 2008 season and they were laughed at. Personally I think AJ is declining (cue the Homefish graph) but couldn't make a rock solid decision of taking a rookie over him. Looks like the Cubs might finally develop their first good positional prospect since Mark Grace.

I'm going to start this early this season, as I was just thinking about this the other day...who would I take?

C Soto over AJ
1B Lee over Konerko
2B DeRosa over Uribe
SS Cabrera over theriot
3B Ramirez over Crede
LF Quentin over the most overpaid position player
CF Swisher over Pie/Johnson
RF Fukudome over Dye
SP Sox
RP Sox
Bench Cubs
Manager....sorry, I'll take Lou

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm going to start this early this season, as I was just thinking about this the other day...who would I take?

C Soto over AJ
1B Lee over Konerko
2B DeRosa over Uribe
SS Cabrera over theriot
3B Ramirez over Crede
RF Fukudome over Dye
SP Sox
RP Sox
Bench Cubs
While right now Soto looks like one of the premier catchers in baseball I think we should give it a little past the first week in May to see if this continues. But I agree, right now Soto looks like a beast behind the plate.

champagne030
05-06-2008, 10:32 PM

I want to see him pass a drug test. He was a fat tub of goo before last season and then dropped 40+ pounds. He might have done it legit, but in this era I have my doubts. It's a sorry state for the game that I even feel that way, but until they test for HGH questions will be everywhere......

Eddo144
05-06-2008, 10:33 PM
While right now Soto looks like one of the premier catchers in baseball I think we should give it a little past the first week in May to see if this continues. But I agree, right now Soto looks like a beast behind the plate.
I get what you're saying (the same logic can be applied to Quentin over Soriano, as well), but I'd still probably take Soto, purely for age reasons.

(For the record, I'd take Quentin over Soriano, though I feel the latter gets **** on more often than he deserves. He's still a solid, albeit drastically overpaid, player.)

kittle42
05-06-2008, 10:57 PM
I get what you're saying (the same logic can be applied to Quentin over Soriano, as well), but I'd still probably take Soto, purely for age reasons.

(For the record, I'd take Quentin over Soriano, though I feel the latter gets **** on more often than he deserves. He's still a solid, albeit drastically overpaid, player.)

Excellent point. Both are toss-ups for the same reasons.

pierzynski07
05-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I want to see him pass a drug test. He was a fat tub of goo before last season and then dropped 40+ pounds. He might have done it legit, but in this era I have my doubts. It's a sorry state for the game that I even feel that way, but until they test for HGH questions will be everywhere......
:scratch: Isn't weight gain associated with PEDs?

oeo
05-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Same here, and it has more to do with him not showing anywhere near this ability before last year. He had a ceiling of a backup catcher, and now he's a beast? Something definitely fishy there. If he's clean, then good for him, but I have a hard time believing that.

champagne030
05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
:scratch: Isn't weight gain associated with PEDs?

HGH is associated with fat loss.

white sox bill
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Thats the cool thing about weight training (GH or AAS enhanced or not) is that it takes a bigger, fatter person and makes them more compact and muscular. Likewise it takes a skinny, pencil neckish person and makes them bigger and muscular.

They take the bigger person and makes him smaller and takes a skinny one and makes them bigger so each gets what they desired. Have your cake and eat it too.

TDog
05-07-2008, 11:24 AM

I have never seen Soto play. I think the Sox could upgrade at catcher and have posted as much, but it is Pierzynski's (and especially Hall's) defense I think could be improved.

I have no idea what Soto's defense is like. For most regular catchers, big offense trails off late in the season. When I look at catchers, I look first at his defense.

Sad
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM

C Soto over AJ
1B Lee over Konerko
2B DeRosa over Uribe
SS Cabrera over theriot
3B Ramirez over Crede
RF Fukudome over Dye
SP Sox
RP Sox
Bench Cubs

I agree with you except I would not take Ramirez over Crede as I think he's lazy...

Juice16
05-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I agree with you except I would not take Ramirez over Crede as I think he's lazy...

Agreed, I take Crede over Ramirez.

Domeshot17
05-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Crede vs Ramirez is maybe the biggest toss up, just depends if you want a ton of offense or a ton of defense.

I think if you were putting together that team, you have everything you need to be fine with Ramirez at 3rd (a gold glove SS with a ton of range and a gold glove 1b).

Law11
05-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Just had a conversation with a friend at work whos a cub fan and after some barbs basically told him with the money they spent if they DONT at least get to the NLCS that their season is a bust. He agreed.

Anything the sox do as it relates to the post season would be nothing more than an unexpected welcome.

It's Time
05-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Might be time to have a change of opinion on this Cubs team. They have a BRUTAL rotation once you get past Zambrano, Dempster and maybe Lilly. They have given up SEVEN, yes, SEVEN HR'S today to the Crappy Reds.

Umm, yeah, Lieber started that game and he replaced Hill in the rotation. :cool:

VenturaFan23
05-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I guess starting Lieber was a mistake. Cubs are currently getting blasted 9-0. Cincy with 7 homers including 3 by Votto himself.

mark2olson
05-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Volquez has done a good job keeping the Cubs in check...7 innings pitched, 10 Ks, 4 hits. The Reds have several good young pitchers.

rdwj
05-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Volquez has done a good job keeping the Cubs in check...7 innings pitched, 10 Ks, 4 hits. The Reds have several good young pitchers.

But they have the grim reaper of good young arms as a manager

The Immigrant
05-07-2008, 02:14 PM
If they could play the Pirates another 120 times this season, the Cubs would be a lock for the post season.

cws05champ
05-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Exactly...you have a 9-0 lead with rain coming down in the 7th and you leave your rookie pitcher out there to throw 114 pitches?

mark2olson
05-07-2008, 03:11 PM

Agreed on that one, we'll see how long they remain "good young arms."

turners56
05-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I wonder why Cubs fans aren't panicking, the team has won only 2 games in May! :o: Did I mention St. Louis is red hot right now?

spiffie
05-07-2008, 03:49 PM
I have never seen Soto play. I think the Sox could upgrade at catcher and have posted as much, but it is Pierzynski's (and especially Hall's) defense I think could be improved.

I have no idea what Soto's defense is like. For most regular catchers, big offense trails off late in the season. When I look at catchers, I look first at his defense.
I haven't watched him play enough to know how he is at blocking balls, but in terms of stopping the stolen base this year he has thrown out 10 of 23 runners for a 43.5% caught stealing. In comparison AJ this year is 4 for 21 (19%).

I don't know if I would trade catchers this year just because with our pitching staff being so young and or mentally fragile I think having someone with more experience is probably useful right now. Also I want to see Soto keep this up for a full season. That said, I think the Cubs are likely set at catcher for a while with him behind the plate.

kittle42
05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
I wonder why Cubs fans aren't panicking, the team has won only 2 games in May! :o: Did I mention St. Louis is red hot right now?

St. Louis has GOT to come down to Earth, don't they? I mean, aside from Wainwright, that pitching is pretty damn questionable. I was at the game Saturday and informed a Cards fan next to me that the Kyle Lohse that showed up that afternoon (7 runs) was much more likely to be the Lohse they'll see the rest of the year.

They're banking on having one of Carpenter/Mulder/Clement come back and be an anchor. That's a longshot.

erob3833
05-07-2008, 04:13 PM
the scrubs are 13-15 when playing teams that aren't the pirates in 08.

goon
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM

C Soto over AJ
1B Lee over Konerko
2B DeRosa over Uribe
SS Cabrera over theriot
3B Ramirez over Crede
RF Fukudome over Dye
SP Sox
RP Sox
Bench Cubs

Yeah... not really at all. Although he will walk more, yay.

turners56
05-07-2008, 04:16 PM
the scrubs are 13-15 when playing teams that aren't the pirates in 08.

We're only 10-15 if we didn't play Detroit for 6 games. I know Detroit is better than the Pirates, but you beat whoever you can, the teams don't make the schedules, this isn't college football.

turners56
05-07-2008, 04:22 PM
St. Louis has GOT to come down to Earth, don't they? I mean, aside from Wainwright, that pitching is pretty damn questionable. I was at the game Saturday and informed a Cards fan next to me that the Kyle Lohse that showed up that afternoon (7 runs) was much more likely to be the Lohse they'll see the rest of the year.

They're banking on having one of Carpenter/Mulder/Clement come back and be an anchor. That's a longshot.

You'd never know, aren't we pretty much on banking on Danks, Floyd, and Contreras to keep on pitching they way they are?

Carpenter is one of the best pitchers in baseball when he's healthy, if the Cardinals are still in contention when they get him back, they really do have something going. In the NL Central, anything can happen. The Cubs just lost 2 of 3 to the mighty Reds, Milwaukee has lost 4 in a row, the Cardinals have a pretty commanding lead this early in the season, the tide can turn quickly (we've seen that over the past couple of weeks), but St. Louis has played very good ball.

I know Wellemeyer, Lohse, and Looper sound completely crazy for the bottom 3 of a rotation, but maybe Wellemeyer will break out (he's always had good stuff), maybe Lohse has a career year, and maybe Looper is an adequate 5th starter.

Weird things happen every baseball season, that's the beauty of it, were we really expecting Skip Schumaker or Ryan Ludwick to be any good? Let alone the Cardinals as a whole? They've proved us all wrong so far, no need to stop believing now, besides, which Sox fan wants the Cubs to make the playoffs?

spiffie
05-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Well, that and so far at least they've got basically the same slugging percentage. It wouldn't surprise me to see Fukudome end up just slightly below JD in SLG. He won't have as many HR, but a lot of doubles will keep that SLG% high too.

russ99
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
The Astros are rolling as well, but it's maybe with a smoke and mirrors starting staff, so who knows if it will last...

If the Cubs pitching staff looks this bad now, what happens in June/July when they have to play all those day games in the heat?

What's the over/under on garbage throwing at Wrigley? I'll take 6 days. :D:

soltrain21
05-07-2008, 04:51 PM

I'd take Fukudome in a heartbeat over Dye. How could you not?

kittle42
05-07-2008, 04:52 PM

He's also fatser and better defensively.

turners56
05-07-2008, 04:53 PM

I would too, Dye is old, slow, and not that great of a hitter anymore. Fukudome might not hit you 30 home runs, but he's a better defender, runs better, and gets on base more often.

goon
05-07-2008, 05:03 PM

I don't know how you could to be honest. If you are going to extrapolate what he has done in ONE month over an entire season, it's obviously going to make Fukudome look great. He gets on base and is a good defender, beyond that there are way too many question marks about what type of player he will be in MLB. He won't hit for power, which is a pretty strong strike against him in the first place, though he will drive the ball, which is something just about every OF (beyond speedy players like Pierre) can do. I have no idea whether or not he will be able to bat .300+ all season, neither does anyone else here.

To claim that he is already better than Dye is jumping the gun immensely.

goon
05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
He's also fatser and better defensively.

Eh, he's faster but it's not like he's a huge base stealing threat, at least he wasn't in Japan. Being quicker will help him on the basepaths and defensively, but throwing strength and experience are just about the same. I just don't see enough or at least, haven't seen enough out of Fukudome to claim that he is better than Dye, I don't really know how you could after one month of baseball.

soltrain21
05-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't know how you could to be honest. If you are going to extrapolate what he has done in ONE month over an entire season, it's obviously going to make Fukudome look great. He gets on base and is a good defender, beyond that there are way too many question marks about what type of player he will be in MLB. He won't hit for power, which is a pretty strong strike against him in the first place, though he will drive the ball, which is something just about every OF (beyond speedy players like Pierre) can do. I have no idea whether or not he will be able to bat .300+ all season, neither does anyone else here.

To claim that he is already better than Dye is jumping the gun immensely.

Well, we aren't talking about Jermaine Dye in his prime anymore, are we? He is obviously showing that he has lost a step.

Fukudome seems like the better player RIGHT NOW. Will he have a better career? Who the hell knows, but it seems like he is the better player than Dye at this point.

goon
05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Well, we aren't talking about Jermaine Dye in his prime anymore, are we? He is obviously showing that he has lost a step.

Fukudome seems like the better player RIGHT NOW. Will he have a better career? Who the hell knows, but it seems like he is the better player than Dye at this point.

I don't know... are we? I would think Jermaine Dye hit his prime about three years ago, right? Yet since 2005 he's hit for more power than he ever has, in 2006 he hit 44 Home Runs as a 32 year old, all while maintaing a strong batting average and getting on base. It seems like Dye has done more after his prime than he did in his injury-riddled season in his prime. While we're on the topic of age, Fukudome is 31 years old, it's not like we're talking about a 26 year old kid about to hit his own prime, are we?
Most analysts, scouts, whatever, baseball minds greater than myself projected something along the lines of: 75-85 Runs, 12-15 Home Runs, 75-85 RBI,.280-.290 BA, .360-.400 OBP, Slugging is all over the place.

He has a lot of tools, he hits in a good lineup, but he hasn't really proved himself yet, has he? He could be special, he could be "Raul Ibanez without power", as one analyst claimed. I don't know, but neither does anyone else.

Edit: Dye has homered in three straight games. I totally proved my point:smile:

TDog
05-07-2008, 06:20 PM
I haven't watched him play enough to know how he is at blocking balls, but in terms of stopping the stolen base this year he has thrown out 10 of 23 runners for a 43.5% caught stealing. In comparison AJ this year is 4 for 21 (19%).

I don't know if I would trade catchers this year just because with our pitching staff being so young and or mentally fragile I think having someone with more experience is probably useful right now. Also I want to see Soto keep this up for a full season. That said, I think the Cubs are likely set at catcher for a while with him behind the plate.

Certainly I think the Sox could upgrade themselves at catcher defensively. The backup is even more of a defensive liability than the starter, which seems odd to me. Pierzynski seems to work well with the pitching staff. The two-out hits in close ballgames have been annoying, and I don't know if anyone is stealing signs.

Catching is a tough position, though. You probably shouldn't judge any player on only a month or two, but seasons wear down catchers and pitchers more than they do other players. And they take a beating. Ray Fosse hit .307 in his first full season. He caught for the AL in the All-Star Game. He never really was the same player after the Pete Rose collision that ended the game.

Nowadays, good young players want to stay healthy for their big payday. It will be interesting to see if Soto can keep up his level of play.

turners56
05-07-2008, 06:28 PM
I still don't know how Soto went from a primarily defensive catcher to a power-hitting catcher in a two year timespan.

Cuck the Fubs
05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
They look like utter crap for the last 4 series........but don't worry....soon they will be beating up on the hapless Pirates and looking like world beaters again.

chisoxfanatic
05-07-2008, 07:16 PM
They look like utter crap for the last 4 series........but don't worry....soon they will be beating up on the hapless Pirates and looking like world beaters again.

Not if the Pirates are hitting like they've been lately!

Way to go, Cincy! JOEY VOTTO took them deep three times today!!! Hahaha!

kittle42
05-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Boy, they're really having trouble with those Diamondbacks.

Cuck the Fubs
05-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Come on back in October:rolleyes:

Stringer
05-11-2008, 03:13 AM

I'm reserving judgment until they face Brandon Webb

chisoxmike
05-11-2008, 08:40 PM

It seems like you want the Cubs to win?

kittle42
05-11-2008, 09:45 PM
It seems like you want the Cubs to win?

I knew it was a matter of time before someone made this point. No, of course I want them to lose, but blind Cubbie hatred is annoying. Actually, the more they win now, the more fun it will be to see them fall flat on their faces come crunch time.

champagne030
05-11-2008, 10:23 PM

Meh. They're still playing .500 against everyone, but the Pirates. :shrug:

It's only early May, so who knows what is going to change. That said, their rotation sucks, Marmol is currently their only reliable reliever and the trifecta of midgets that are Theriot, Fontenot and Cedeno will not still be hitting so far above their talent.......

It's Time
05-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Meh. They're still playing .500 against everyone, but the Pirates. :shrug:

It's only early May, so who knows what is going to change. That said, their rotation sucks, Marmol is currently their only reliable reliever and the trifecta of midgets that are Theriot, Fontenot and Cedeno will not still be hitting so far above their talent.......

Well, if we put the Cubs hatred aside, they are 5-0 against the D-Backs and Mets. Is it safe to say that the D-backs, Mets and Cubs are the best teams in the NL?

You're probably right about Theriot and Fontenot, but Soriano will not be hitting .215 either.

I don't think the Cubs rotation is that good either, but they might have enough to get by if Zambrano, Dempster and Lilly continue to pitch well. Furthermore, Hendry will rob someone at the deadline for another pitcher.:angry:

chisoxmike
05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I knew it was a matter of time before someone made this point. No, of course I want them to lose, but blind Cubbie hatred is annoying. Actually, the more they win now, the more fun it will be to see them fall flat on their faces come crunch time.

Fair enough. I'm not a fan of hate everything about the Cubs either. ButI hate them as well and I'll never hide behind that. It actually pissed me off today when I found out they came back today and swept the Diamondbacks.

My hat is off to them, they beat the best team in the NL and perhaps the MLB. In fact, they may sweep their entire homestand. They got the Padres who are bad, and the Pirates - who's only purpose is to serve the Cubs.

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Let them win the NL Central...........

Hell, let them win the NL Pennant.......................

Makes it all the better when they flame out in the World Series don't ya think:redneck

chisoxmike
05-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Let them win the NL Central...........

Hell, let them win the NL Pennant.......................

Makes it all the better when they flame out in the World Series don't ya think:redneck

I don't want them anywhere near the World Series.

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't want them anywhere near the World Series.

I want epic failure for the 100 year mark.....the camera shots of their weeping fans will be priceless!!!!!

chisoxmike
05-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I want epic failure for the 100 year mark.....the camera shots of their weeping fans will be priceless!!!!!

No, them just being in the World Series would be intolerable. The media around here would make it like a victory if they were in and were to lose. No thanks.

Rockabilly
05-11-2008, 11:06 PM

I hope its another hundred years before they even make it to the world series

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2008, 11:07 PM
No, them just being in the World Series would be intolerable. The media around here would make it like a victory if they were in and were to lose. No thanks.

Are you saying there is a media bias here in Chicago? :redneck

kittle42
05-11-2008, 11:38 PM

I'd move out for a week if they made the World Series. I'd go to Europe.

RadioheadRocks
05-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Are you saying there is a media bias here in Chicago? :redneck

Didn't you catch the new slogan: "The Chicago media... making more mountains out of molehills than the Wonderbra".

Sockinchisox
05-30-2008, 04:01 PM
This is getting a bit rediculous.

Just came back from a 9-1 deficit and they lead it 10-9, the Rockies are awful.

But at least we get to play them in a couple of weeks.

kidmccarthy
05-30-2008, 04:04 PM
They are a good team. As long as we are in first, who cares?

JermaineDye05
05-30-2008, 04:06 PM

The Cubs certainly have had an unexpected easy schedule. Earlier this year you would have thought that the series with Colorado would be a test for them, not really. They've certainly shown they can win at home, unfortunately for them they have trouble on the road. You're not going to get too far if you can't win on the road.

JermaineDye05
05-30-2008, 04:07 PM

Well put.

Cuck the Fubs
05-30-2008, 04:09 PM

Rumor has it upon completion of today's Cubs/Rockies softball game, construction the the Jim Edmonds statue will begin ASAP. :rolleyes:

VenturaFan23
05-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Holliday should be back by that time, but their pitching should still be awful.

white sox bill
05-30-2008, 04:13 PM
I'd like to see them kick butt thru end of August, then nosedive in September and choke so bad they miss the playoffs completely:cool::smile:

Fenway
05-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Cubs - Rays world series

Universe explodes

Foulke You
05-30-2008, 04:17 PM
That's my take. As long as the White Sox keep on rolling, I could care less about them until we play in the crosstown series. Cubs success bothers me more if the Sox are having a down year (like '07) but this year, I'm not really bothered by it since the Sox are doing damage of their own lately.

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:18 PM

Why is it rediculous? It wasn't the Indians, Twins, Tigers or Royals. Thats a hell of a win and one of those games where for the Cubs you can start spelling that word D-E-S-T........ (at least to win the NL :smile:). As far as the Rockies, this is one of those games where just look at it and realize they wasted all their luck, karma or whatever you wanna call it last season.

kittle42
05-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm going home from work soon. Can't wait to see the guys scalping World Series tickets!

.750 at home is pretty goddamn good. Best record in baseball overall. Blech.

turners56
05-30-2008, 04:21 PM

It's the Rockies. If you give them a 20 run lead at the beginning of every game, they still might go .500.

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
That's my take. As long as the White Sox keep on rolling, I could care less about them until we play in the crosstown series. Cubs success bothers me more if the Sox are having a down year (like '07) but this year, I'm not really bothered by it since the Sox are doing damage of their own lately.
But why? Why do Sox fans care about what the cubs do and vice versa? In the grand scheme of things the effects of one on each other is 6 games. We don't compete for a division or playoff spot. SOx have thier fans and Cubs have theirs. I couldn't care less about who wins the print media competition. If a Cub fan says something to you just say "ya thier having a hell of a season. How about that kid Soto who could have expected that huh?" Then finish it with, "October will be fun when we see you in the series."

Palehose Pete
05-30-2008, 04:23 PM

Agreed. My only gripe is that I might have to pay the case of beer to my Cubbie friend that I bet if the Sox don't have a better regular season record than the Cubs. Then again, that wager winds up being win-win since he shares the beer with me... :gulp:

oeo
05-30-2008, 04:24 PM
It's too bad they can only win in Chicago and Pittsburgh.

Are we going to go through this during every one of their homestands? This thread get resurrected during every homestand, and then it disappears because they have to go on the road somewhere and play mediocre baseball.

kittle42
05-30-2008, 04:27 PM

Are we going to go through this during every one of their homestands? This thread get resurrected during every homestand, and then it disappears because they have to go on the road somewhere and play mediocre baseball.

Go Cubs, Go!

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:28 PM

Pirates are like 24-19 when not playing the Cubs.
Hey cmon not everyone can be Road Warriors like the White Sox.:D:

pierzynski07
05-30-2008, 04:28 PM

I thought it comes back up during their bad losses as well.

turners56
05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
But why? Why do Sox fans care about what the cubs do and vice versa? In the grand scheme of things the effects of one on each other is 6 games. We don't compete for a division or playoff spot. SOx have thier fans and Cubs have theirs. I couldn't care less about who wins the print media competition. If a Cub fan says something to you just say "ya thier having a hell of a season. How about that kid Soto who could have expected that huh?" Then finish it with, "October will be fun when we see you in the series."

Simply because most Cubs fans are ignorant idiots with nothing but "Sox suck" coming out of their mouths. And as human beings, we like to see those idiots shut up, which is done by beating them in them in a cross-town series or seeing them suck it up, so they have nothing to brag about.

I'd take White Sox success over Cubs success any day, I'm sure all of us would. If not, you're a Cubs hater, not really a Sox fan. But the fact we as Sox fans have to put up with abuse by people who are probably inferior to us in baseball IQ is disgusting. Seeing them lose is the next best thing to seeing our division rivals suck. It's not really about the teams, it's about the fans' bragging rights in the city of Chicago, where we, as Sox fans, are almost outnumbered 2:1.

oeo
05-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Pirates are like 24-19 when not playing the Cubs.

That's not my point. Sometimes you match up well against a team, like us with the Tigers. It's when that is the only team you're beating that is the problem.

At home, that obviously isn't the case because they're beating everyone. The road is a different story.

They have now played 8 more home games than road games. Obviously, you don't have to be great on the road to make the playoffs if you're slaughtering everyone at home. That said, they still have to improve on what they're doing on the road right now, or they won't be playing baseball in October.

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:39 PM
That's not my point. Sometimes you match up well against a team, like us with the Tigers. It's when that is the only team you're beating that is the problem.

At home, that obviously isn't the case because they're beating everyone. The road is a different story.
Sorry if I confused what you were saying. I'm just hearing a lot of people saying "well cmon they played Pittsburgh 12 times already." When in reality so far this season the Pirates have played well.

It's Time
05-30-2008, 04:44 PM

They have now played 8 more home games than road games. Obviously, you don't have to be great on the road to make the playoffs if you're slaughtering everyone at home. That said, they still have to improve on what they're doing on the road right now, or they won't be playing baseball in October.

Well, if you are going to win 55-60 games at home, you are going to make the playoffs even if you only win 35 times on the road. Not only that, they'll get homefield throughout the playoffs.

They have that magic that we saw in the 05 White Sox. I don't care who you are playing, when you erase a 9-1 lead late in the game, that is something.

Should be a great summer.

oeo
05-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Well, if you are going to win 55-60 games at home, you are going to make the playoffs even if you only win 35 times on the road. Not only that, they'll get homefield throughout the playoffs.

If they can keep this up at home, then they will be going to the playoffs, no doubt. Can they, though? Eventually they're going to have to win on the road.

They have that magic that we saw in the 05 White Sox. I don't care who you are playing, when you erase a 9-1 lead late in the game, that is something.

Should be a great summer.They had "magic" last year, too. Remember last June when they could do no wrong? When things are going well, you always have "magic."

Their rotation will make or break the season. Will Dempster hold up? Will the bottom of the rotation ever solidify? If the answers to those questions are yes, then they're going places. If they're no, I don't care how good the offense is, they're going to run into trouble.

getonbckthr
05-30-2008, 04:51 PM

Should be a great summer.
Your right it should be a great summer. 2 first place baseball teams when its usually difficult to find one. I would love to know when the last time this city had prolonged, simultaneous runs in 1st place this deep? Enjoy it folks cause years like this don't come around that often.

DumpJerry
05-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Your right it should be a great summer. 2 first place baseball teams when its usually difficult to find one. I would love to know when the last time this city had prolonged, simultaneous runs in 1st place this deep? Enjoy it folks cause years like this don't come around that often.
This question has come up time and time again recently.

jabrch
05-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I'd be thrilled to see a Sox vs Cubs World Series...as long as we win.

whitesoxfan
05-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Cubs - Rays world series

Universe explodes

White Sox-Cubs World Series please.

johnr1note
05-30-2008, 05:08 PM

Try 2003 -- both teams were in first place as late as September 14.

Everyone cites 1977 as the last time both teams were in contention late. But the Sox fell out of first on Aug. 19, never to return, while the Cubs fell out of first on Aug. 7, again, never to return.

champagne030
05-30-2008, 05:22 PM

I really don't worry about the Cubs, especially when the Sox are in 1st place and when there's really no reason to worry anyway.

Them doing so well and having the sheep part of their fan base thinking that this is the year will be all the more enjoyable when they get smoked by the better teams in the NL during playoff time - if they make the playoffs. I'm a firm believer of pitching and defense in the playoffs and the Cubs will fall far short of any potential playoff team in those areas. They have one legit playoff starter (who isn't as good as Johan or Webb) and one great setup guy. Dumpster, Lilly, Gas can, Woody? Good luck with those guys come crunch time. And they're average, at best, to abysmal defensively at 3rd, SS, 2B, CF and LF, plus Lee's defense has fallen off a cliff the last two years.

voodoochile
05-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Everyone cites 1977 as the last time both teams were in contention late. But the Sox fell out of first on Aug. 19, never to return, while the Cubs fell out of first on Aug. 7, again, never to return.

1906...:tongue:

Foulke You
05-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Yeah, 2003 was what came to mind for me too. Although, if memory serves, the Cubs were chasing the Astros for a good chunk of that year and took advantage of a lot of games against the Pirates, Reds, and a bad Mets squad down the stretch to eek out a division title with 88 wins. The Sox were in 1st place for a huge chunk of 2003 and then pissed it away in the final 2 weeks finishing with 86 wins to the Twins 90 wins.

veeter
05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
What bothers me is the complete ineptitude of the teams they face, more than the little cubbies that feast on them. Zambrano and Marmol are obviously legit. But a smart hitter could work any other pitcher on that staff into a hitters count. Injured, dumb and limited talent descibes the condition of their recent competition at home. To their credit they've been winning, but it's going to end. Trust me.

Foulke You
05-30-2008, 05:54 PM
I guess I can't put my finger directly on why it is important except that it is part of the huge rivalry we have with them. It isn't an imagined one either. Both teams share the same city and are separated by only 8 miles. You can downplay the interleague series or rivalry with them all you want but ask yourself this, if the games were unimportant to the fans, why do they sellout in seconds? Why are the scalping rates for those tickets so much higher than any Sox vs. Twins or Cubs vs. Cardinals game?

I would guess for me personally, the reason I care is because I work with a lot of Cubs fans, I have extended family that are Cubs fans and many of them can be very obnoxious when it comes to their team's success or my team's success. I don't like getting my face rubbed in it by them or the media. We all know that the Cub fanbase is one of the most obnoxious groups on the planet. Again, I know I should ignore it but I guess you are a better man than I. It's just part of a big rivarly. Bears vs. Packers, Good vs. Evil, Cats vs. Dogs, and Sox vs. Cubs.:tongue:

jonred
05-31-2008, 12:31 AM
What bothers me is the complete ineptitude of the teams they face, more than the little cubbies that feast on them. Zambrano and Marmol are obviously legit. But a smart hitter could work any other pitcher on that staff into a hitters count. Injured, dumb and limited talent descibes the condition of their recent competition at home. To their credit they've been winning, but it's going to end. Trust me.

Do you really think that a third of the way through the season you can blame the Cubs success simply on the so-called weak competition? They've swept the Diamondbacks and Mets, the two teams picked by most to contend for the NL crown. They've also played the Cards and Astros who are both having solid seasons. Maybe it's time to face facts, the Cubs have a very well balanced team (1st in BA and runs, 6th in ERA and they're middle of the road in fielding).

EuroSox35
05-31-2008, 01:13 AM
Who cares about meaningless on paper predictions before the season. The Diamondbacks are a miserable 8-16 outside their division. They probably caught the Mets in the best possible situation of the year, not to mention the Mets are still a miserable team who might fire their manager by or at the end of the season. There's not a lot of quality in that league

EuroSox35
05-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Man, speaking of 'on paper' and the NL West, I bet many expected them to be one of the top divisions this year, http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings?date=20080530&type=vsdiv&br=3&year=2008&column=gamesBehind&order=false&st=2 The 7 teams over .500 in the league are 81-43 against the NL West.

HomeFish
05-31-2008, 01:50 AM
I really don't worry about the Cubs, especially when the Sox are in 1st place and when there's really no reason to worry anyway.

Them doing so well and having the sheep part of their fan base thinking that this is the year will be all the more enjoyable when they get smoked by the better teams in the NL during playoff time - if they make the playoffs. I'm a firm believer of pitching and defense in the playoffs and the Cubs will fall far short of any potential playoff team in those areas. They have one legit playoff starter (who isn't as good as Johan or Webb) and one great setup guy. Dumpster, Lilly, Gas can, Woody? Good luck with those guys come crunch time. And they're average, at best, to abysmal defensively at 3rd, SS, 2B, CF and LF, plus Lee's defense has fallen off a cliff the last two years.

If they are destined to fall apart against playoff teams, why haven't they done so against likely playoff teams in the regular season?

As of right now, the rest of the NL season looks like its going to be a formality. The 30 teams in the AL are playing to decide who faces the Cubs in October.

RadioheadRocks
05-31-2008, 01:52 AM
If they are destined to fall apart against playoff teams, why haven't they done so against likely playoff teams in the regular season?

As of right now, the rest of the NL season looks like its going to be a formality. The 30 teams in the AL are playing to decide who faces the Cubs in October.

30 teams in the AL????? :rolleyes:

HomeFish
05-31-2008, 01:53 AM
That's what I get for posting at such a late hour. :redface: