PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see the White Sox make a uniform change?

Viva Medias B's
04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
The current White Sox uniform made its debut during the last week of the 1990 season. Including the 2008 season, it has now lasted 18 seasons. That is a very long time, especially for this franchise given the number of uniform changes it has had throughout its history. I am not necessarily calling for new uniforms, but I think this would be an interesting topic of discussion.

One thing I have noticed this season is the increasing popularity of the old Sox logo, the one with the batter over the SOX. I see more and more items with this logo at Grandstand and elsewhere, and I see more people wearing such items. I say that if we do make a uniform change down the road, we incorporate this old logo.

DSpivack
04-23-2008, 08:45 PM
I like the current ones fine.

mwc44
04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
The pinstripes and road greys are classic... change NOTHING!

Hitmen77
04-23-2008, 08:52 PM
NO!!!!!

Don't mess with success. The reason why the current Sox uniforms and logo have lasted 18 seasons is because they are great. The only thing I'd entertain is the possibility of blending in a 3rd color (like the dark red that was used to accent the black and white unis of the 50s).

In my lifetime up until 1990, the White Sox went through a series of laughable uniform changes. First there was the gaudy "Red" Sox pinstripes (good for the funky early 70s I suppose), then the "pajama" untucked, big collar Veeck unis, then we had the ultra-tacky video game uniform in the early 80s and finally the super generic uniforms of the late 80s with the "Campbell Soup" C (or was than an "Einhorn E") on the cap. Yuck!!!! Finally, in 1990 they unveiled their "new" uniforms which returned to the classic style of the 50s and 60s.

That old logo that Veeck developed in the late 70s (the batter with the block SOX letters underneath) was cute and is a nice part of our past, but the current Olde English Sox logo is a classic.

Frater Perdurabo
04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
No changes. Just start wearing the black alternate jerseys less often.

getonbckthr
04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
The current White Sox uniform made its debut during the last week of the 1990 season. Including the 2008 season, it has now lasted 18 seasons. That is a very long time, especially for this franchise given the number of uniform changes it has had throughout its history. I am not necessarily calling for new uniforms, but I think this would be an interesting topic of discussion.

One thing I have noticed this season is the increasing popularity of the old Sox logo, the one with the batter over the SOX. I see more and more items with this logo at Grandstand and elsewhere, and I see more people wearing such items. I say that if we do make a uniform change down the road, we incorporate this old logo.
The logo your talking about is from the early 80's. I would say a good portion of the people buying the merchandise (myself included) were either born or grew up in this era. As far as a change to todays uniform it depends on what is presented as the new look.

HangWiffum
04-23-2008, 09:09 PM
there are 2 changes i'd like to see. first, get rid of the black uniforms. they are ugly as hell. second, i think the road uniforms should have the word CHICAGO written in old english across the chest just like our sox logo.

KnightSox
04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
No.

Shoeless_Jeff
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Absolutely not. The uniforms they've been wearing for the last 18 years look great, perhaps the best in baseball.

As for the popularity of the retro gear, its just cool throwback stuff. One must know there roots. I have an 83 throwback cap and one with the 1917 era logo on it and soon I'll be buying a 59 era throwback. My goal is to get a Sox cap for every era.

Daver
04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Bring back the red pinstripes.

chisoxfanatic
04-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Absolutely not. These unis are fine.

mwc44
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
With or without the zippered jersey?

oeo
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
I think it's pretty ridiculous that they've had so many uniform changes. I'm glad they found a good one and are sticking to it. It should never change again.

Dan Mega
04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree with oeo. They look fine.

getonbckthr
04-23-2008, 09:51 PM
there are 2 changes i'd like to see. first, get rid of the black uniforms. they are ugly as hell. second, i think the road uniforms should have the word CHICAGO written in old english across the chest just like our sox logo.
Personally I think the Blacks are the best version of this era (used to be the vests). As far as the Chicago writing I like that idea.

Marqhead
04-23-2008, 10:07 PM
I voted no interpreting the question as "less Black alternates." Otherwise I love the home pinstripes and the road grays.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 10:08 PM
The only thing I ever had a problem with were the pinstripes. I think white with piping (like Detroit) looks much better. Plus, why copy the Yankees?

But other than that I think our uniforms are pretty solid. They can last another 100 years for all I care.

grv1974
04-23-2008, 10:12 PM

No, but I wish to God that the Bears would update their uniforms! That whole 3-stripe thing on the sleeves looks so lame now with the elasticized cuffed sleeves (as opposed to the long, loose sleeves that were around when this older style was created.)

slowlearner
04-23-2008, 10:15 PM
The logo your talking about is from the early 80's. I would say a good portion of the people buying the merchandise (myself included) were either born or grew up in this era.

Exactly. I love that logo because I kind of grew up with it and I generally like most of the retro gear associated with it, but there's a world of difference between liking something for nostalgic reasons and wanting to see you're favorite team trot out wearing it everyday.

Keep the current scheme. It's tasteful and classic.

Jerome
04-23-2008, 10:20 PM

+1

oeo
04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Personally I think the Blacks are the best version of this era (used to be the vests). As far as the Chicago writing I like that idea.

Why do so many people like those awful black uniforms? The names on the back (with the combination of white and silver) just look like blocks. It almost looks as unprofessional as the teams that don't attach each letter separately onto the jersey (especially the Twins, who don't do it with pinstripes).

oeo
04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
The only thing I ever had a problem with were the pinstripes. I think white with piping (like Detroit) looks much better. Plus, why copy the Yankees?

Since the Yankees are the only team that wear pinstripes and the Sox have never worn pinstripes in their history until now. :rolleyes:

WhiteSox5187
04-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I like the current uni, but I like all those "ugly" uniforms of the late 1970s and '80s too (EXCEPT for the red ones and even those weren't bad)...but no, the only change I would make is try and make more guys wear the uniform with their pants up. Or stirrups, that'd be a great look.

soltrain21
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
I wish our home uniforms went away from the pinstripes and would copy the Tigers.

The away uniforms are fine.

thomas35forever
04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't see how you can change this uniforms. Don't fix what ain't broken.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Since the Yankees are the only team that wear pinstripes and the Sox have never worn pinstripes in their history until now. :rolleyes:

Thanks, I didn't know any of that.

The Yankees popularized pinstripes and it was always their deal. I think an original franchise should have its own look.

TheOldRoman
04-23-2008, 11:09 PM

The Yankees popularized pinstripes and it was always their deal. I think an original franchise should have its own look.You want us to have our own look by wearings the same look as the Red Sox and Tigers?

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:10 PM
You want us to have our own look by wearings the same look as the Red Sox and Tigers?

Yes.

As long as we don't look like the Yankees.

We even copied their stadium.

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:12 PM

The Yankees popularized pinstripes and it was always their deal. I think an original franchise should have its own look.

Please...

The Sox have had pinstripes on their jerseys as early as 1912. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/uniforms.jsp

The Cubs were the first team to wear pinstripes, only 5 years earlier.

Who gives a **** about the Yankees?

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Please...

The Sox have had pinstripes on their jerseys as early as 1912. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/uniforms.jsp

Who cares? I didn't say the Yankees invented it--I know they didn't--but they might as well have because it's pretty much emblematic of their franchise. Everybody knows that.

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Who cares? I didn't say the Yankees invented it, but they might as well have because it's pretty much emblematic of their franchise. Everybody knows that.

I care. You act as if the Sox stole the Yankees uniform "idea" because they have pinstripes, when the Sox first used pinstripes almost a century ago.

****, a lot of teams are going to have to abandon their uniforms because only the Yankees can wear pinstripes. :rolleyes:

HomeFish
04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
We wear darker colors than the Yankees, don't we? I know our hats are jet black while theirs are navy-ish. I think their pinstripes also have a lighter tinge to them.

As for the guy who's complaining about us looking like the Yankees: I hear the Yankees also breathe oxygen. Should we stop doing that?

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:25 PM
We wear darker colors than the Yankees, don't we? I know our hats are jet black while theirs are navy-ish. I think their pinstripes also have a lighter tinge to them.

As for the guy who's complaining about us looking like the Yankees: I hear the Yankees also breathe oxygen. Should we stop doing that?

There's only one reason they look similar to the Yankees: the logo. It is only rivaled by the Yankees as the best logo in baseball.

The Sox and Yankees are not the only two teams with pinstripes and the logo on the left chest...I don't understand the big deal. Somebody must be be really angry about the last two games.

TheOldRoman
04-23-2008, 11:27 PM

As for the guy who's complaining about us looking like the Yankees: I hear the Yankees also breathe oxygen. Should we stop doing that?There is no "navy-ish" about it. Their color is navy. They wear navy hats and have navy pinstripes. Solid navy numbers and logo at home, navy with a white outline on the road.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:28 PM
We copied the Yankees. Get over it.

And to the guy who isn't sure what colors the two teams wear--the Yankees primary color is blue and they wear black pinstripes like us. Or at least they once did.

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:30 PM

You need to get over the fact that there was no copying. Baseball teams where pinstripes...they have for years.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:32 PM
There's only one reason they look similar to the Yankees: the logo. It is only rivaled by the Yankees as the best logo in baseball.

The Sox and Yankees are not the only two teams with pinstripes and the logo on the left chest...I don't understand the big deal. Somebody must be be really angry about the last two games.

The logos look nothing alike.

Comiskey II was modeled after Yankee Stadium. Don't think the uniforms weren't also chosen in 1990 with ol' pinstripes in mind.

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:34 PM

When did I say they looked alike? :scratch:

TheOldRoman
04-23-2008, 11:34 PM

And to the guy who isn't sure what colors the two teams wear--the Yankees primary color is blue and they wear black pinstripes like us. Or at least they once did.The Yankees have never worn black pinstripes.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:35 PM
When did I say they looked alike? :scratch:

Uh, a minute ago? :shrug:

The Yankees have never worn black pinstripes.

Bzzzt.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/uniforms_logos.jsp

Second paragraph.

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:36 PM
The Yankees have never worn black pinstripes.

According to this (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/uniforms_logos.jsp) they did way back, when they first wore pinstripes in 1912 (same year as the Sox). The Yankees then took a couple years off from wearing them, then copied the Sox and went back to them.

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:39 PM

I said the logo was only rivaled by the Yankees as the best logo in baseball. I said nothing about the logos looking alike.

The Sox logo is becoming very recognizable like the Yankees'. There are not a lot of logos in baseball that you can say the same about.

TheOldRoman
04-23-2008, 11:40 PM

Bzzzt.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/uniforms_logos.jsp

Second paragraph.I will find the answer for certain tomorrow. If they ever wore black pinstripes, it was a manufacturer's error. Check this (http://ssur.org/research/TeamColors/Baseball/MajorLeagueBaseball/MajorLeagueBaseball.htm) out. The franchise hasn't worn black since 1908, and never as the Yankees. The MLB team sites are not run by the teams, and often have errors.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:41 PM
According to this (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/history/uniforms_logos.jsp) they did way back, when they first wore pinstripes in 1912 (same year as the Sox). The Yankees then took a couple years off from wearing them, then copied the Sox and went back to them.

Nobody copied the Sox. They didn't invent it nor was it ever part of the team's identity in any way like it has been for the Yankees since pre-WWI. No one really cares, or really knows that the Yankees didn't invent the pinstripe. It's just their thing. Google "pinstripes" and see what comes up.

The fact that other teams wear them is irrelevant to me--let Colorado and Florida and Minnesota wear them all they want. I just don't want us copying the Yankees trademark. We'd look better with black piping. There's no mystique about "piping" in baseball lore. We wouldn't be emulating anybody really.

FARMEO
04-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Chuck Comiskey admitted to copying the Yankees' pinstriped uniforms. Anyway, no change should be made, but I would like to see actual white sox.

Scottiehaswheels
04-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Chuck Comiskey admitted to copying the Yankees' pinstriped uniforms. Anyway, no change should be made, but I would like to see actual white sox.Funny that someone with the nickname Farmeo would be calling for anyone else to wear socks... LOL

oeo
04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Nobody copied the Sox.

I was being sarcastic.

They didn't invent it nor was it ever part of the team's identity in any way like it has been for the Yankees since pre-WWI. No one really cares, or really knows that the Yankees didn't invent the pinstripe. It's just their thing. Google "pinstripes" and see what comes up.

Auto pinstriping? :dunno:

The fact that other teams wear them is irrelevant to me--let Colorado and Florida and Minnesota wear them all they want. I just don't want us copying the Yankees trademark. We'd look better with black piping. There's no mystique about "piping" in baseball lore. We wouldn't be emulating anybody really.

It's not the Yankees trademark, though. If anything, it's a baseball trademark. Again, teams have been wearing them for years. It's not like they just started to take it up to 'copy the Yankees.' Sounds like you just have major issues with the Yankees.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
I said the logo was only rivaled by the Yankees as the best logo in baseball. I said nothing about the logos looking alike.

The Sox logo is becoming very recognizable like the Yankees'. There are not a lot of logos in baseball that you can say the same about.

You cited the respective logos as an aesthetic similarity in plain English. I now see what you meant to say in one sentence that you put into two, but let's not act like it wasn't poorly worded.

johnnyg83
04-23-2008, 11:50 PM
I like the idea of a solid clean white jersey (no pinstripes) but maybe as a home alt. like the vests used to be. I'd also like the black alts. to get rid of the black outline in the logo, numbers and names. Maybe rework the whole thing or get rid of it.

There may have been black in the Yankees unis way back, but it's all dark, dark blue now. pinstripes, logos, etc.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:50 PM
I was being sarcastic.

Auto pinstriping? :dunno:

It's not the Yankees trademark, though. If anything, it's a baseball trademark. Again, teams have been wearing them for years. It's not like they just started to take it up to 'copy the Yankees.' Sounds like you just have major issues with the Yankees.

If you read articles, you'll see a phrase like "so and so donned the pinstripes" that means "so and so played for the Yankees."

I don't have any issues with the Yankees other than the general disdain (jealousy) that any non-Yankee fan has towards them. I respect them because they're the best franchise in all of sports history and I don't think we should copy them. Comiskey himself apparently admitted to copying them and it's a safe bet that Reinsdorf did too as I pointed out. I'm just being objective about a superficial and ultimately insignificant thing, and on top of that I'm a fellow fan so there's no reason to get all homery and defensive about it.

kaufsox
04-23-2008, 11:51 PM
:popcorn:

Man, I love a good fashion fight. Meow! you folks are FIERCE!!!

Nellie_Fox
04-23-2008, 11:54 PM
:popcorn:

Man, I love a good fashion fight. Meow! you folks are FIERCE!!!I see the Roadhouse on the horizon.

Elephant
04-23-2008, 11:56 PM
I like the idea of a solid clean white jersey (no pinstripes) but maybe as a home alt. like the vests used to be. I'd also like the black alts. to get rid of the black outline in the logo, numbers and names. Maybe rework the whole thing or get rid of it.

There may have been black in the Yankees unis way back, but it's all dark, dark blue now. pinstripes, logos, etc.

I don't like the vests at all. It just doesn't pop, I don't know. It really only looks good on Pittsburgh. They have precedent with vests and their uniforms have some nice trim around the shoulders that other teams don't. Pretty much all other vest teams just end up looking amateurish. Ours aren't terrible, though--they don't come within a mile of this crap:

http://baseballevolution.com/teams/images/indians01.jpg

I do like our black alts a lot. That's one thing that we started at the time and many other teams went on to copy us (very much ill-advisedly) in the 90's. I don't think we should ever get rid of that, just keep it as an "alternate" and not the default top.

manders_01
04-23-2008, 11:57 PM
As with most things these days, the 80's are making a comeback. I wouldn't be adamantly opposed to bring back that logo but I'm perfectly content with what we have now.

kaufsox
04-24-2008, 12:10 AM
I voted nay, but I would like to see more throwback days in the coming years. A 1977 day would be fun, a 1972, stuff like that. Otherwise, no change is necessary. This thread has made me want to go and look at that HOF website with all of the uni's from years past.

scarsofthumper
04-24-2008, 12:21 AM
I voted yes, just becuase i'd love to see some SLIGHT changes, like road alternates.

I think just for kicks they should wear some of the proposed jerseys during the early 80's

BadBobbyJenks
04-24-2008, 12:26 AM

I have always liked the black uniforms best too.

I want Mags back
04-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Google "pinstripes" and see what comes up.

This place looks awesome (http://www.pinstripes.com/)

HomeFish
04-24-2008, 01:36 AM
The Yankee and White Sox logos can look similar. I was wearing my White Sox hat in Boston one night when a drunk Red Sox fan stumbled up to me and gave me a lecture about how the Yankees suck. My guess is he saw I was wearing a dark hat with a white letter-based logo on it and mistook it for an NY.

HomeFish
04-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Also, to the guy who is complaining about the Sox "copying" the Yankees in 1912: why aren't you complaining about how our road gray uniforms "copy" whatever team it is that first decided to wear gray on the road? Or about how our numbers on the back of the jersey copy whatever team it is that first decided to wear numbers? Or about how our use of the term "short-stop" copies whatever team it was that first started using that term?

Really, find something else to worry about. I can send you a long list if you'd like.

MISoxfan
04-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Weren't we the first team to wear numbers and also names? Copycats.

Grzegorz
04-24-2008, 05:13 AM
I'd like to see the red pinstripes make a come back.

WSox597
04-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Change nothing, these are my favorite uniforms ever.

white sox bill
04-24-2008, 06:36 AM
I do like current Black tops uni and grayer road ones howver...CHANGE IS GOOD! I vote get some new ones for a few seasons, if they don't go over good, bring current ones back. Maybe more silver...and new logo or I do like the Veeck one from 70's

Bucky F. Dent
04-24-2008, 06:47 AM
NO!!!!!

Don't mess with success. The reason why the current Sox uniforms and logo have lasted 18 seasons is because they are great. The only thing I'd entertain is the possibility of blending in a 3rd color (like the dark red that was used to accent the black and white unis of the 50s).

In my lifetime up until 1990, the White Sox went through a series of laughable uniform changes. First there was the gaudy "Red" Sox pinstripes (good for the funky early 70s I suppose), then the "pajama" untucked, big collar Veeck unis, then we had the ultra-tacky video game uniform in the early 80s and finally the super generic uniforms of the late 80s with the "Campbell Soup" C (or was than an "Einhorn E") on the cap. Yuck!!!! Finally, in 1990 they unveiled their "new" uniforms which returned to the classic style of the 50s and 60s.

That old logo that Veeck developed in the late 70s (the batter with the block SOX letters underneath) was cute and is a nice part of our past, but the current Olde English Sox logo is a classic.

My sentiments exactly. Leave it ALONE!!!!!

soxinem1
04-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Sometimes change is NOT a good thing.

PopsBrechtel
04-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I vote NO!

The uniforms look great just the way they are.

twentywontowin
04-24-2008, 07:55 AM
If we do change, it shoud be minor. I would love if we did the 1959-style logo and numbers on a white jersey instead of the cream color.

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2431499dt.jpg

bigsoxfan420
04-24-2008, 08:02 AM
The current ones are great!

kraut83
04-24-2008, 08:32 AM
I wish our home uniforms went away from the pinstripes and would copy the Tigers.

The away uniforms are fine.

Agreed.

I would like to see the vests return for the home uni as well.

palehozenychicty
04-24-2008, 08:49 AM
I'd like to see more success on the field with pennants and rings. :D:

Cuck the Fubs
04-24-2008, 09:08 AM
NO!

Change nothing!!!

SoxGirl4Life
04-24-2008, 09:10 AM
I like the current uniforms, even the black jerseys. However, I think the "SOX" on the black jersey looks unusually large. Anyone else think it looks bigger than it does on the pinstripes? Am I just seeing things?

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Less black alternate days, but NO. Classic look - keep it.

twsoxfan5
04-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I like them how they are now, but I would not mind if they added a little red around the logo and numbers. They just need to make sure it is a very small amount of red. Also I love the black jerseys. I think they are sweet and I do not think they look like softball jerseys, which people keep saying.

Luke
04-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Love the current uniforms, and I love that after 18 seasons 90% of the respondents want to keep them.

The solid, alternate jerseys are a relatively new trend (since about the mid 90s I think) that has really taken off. I'm not sure how long they'll stick around, my guess would be until people stop buying them. I don't mind them, as a once in a while thing.

MisterB
04-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I'd like to see more success on the field with pennants and rings. :D:

Yeah but the Yankees have done that, and we don't want to copy the Yankees.

Procol Harum
04-24-2008, 10:00 AM
I would've probably liked it if the current scheme had appropriated the late '50s motif with a touch of red piping from the get-go in late '90.

That said, the choice has already been in place and they look great--no need to change. I would agree that the black jerseys are worn way too often.

Red Barchetta
04-24-2008, 10:02 AM

I agree on perhaps revising the script on the road jersey to match the style of the SOX logo script. That's it. I like everything else.

As to the retro phase, the team is pushing that red/white/blue merchandise hard this year due to the 25th anniversary of the 1983 team. The Sox are wearing those unis as throwbacks later this season.

I never got the old batter logo. It reminds me of a pedestrian crossing sign. I like the current (old) logo much better.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
i think the road uniforms should have the word CHICAGO written in old english across the chest just like our sox logo.

We would have the most "gangsta" uniforms in the league hands down. Although we already kind of do anyway.

What I would like to see as an alternate uniform is our current home uniforms without the pinstripes and piping (like Detroit) but I would like to see the hats with the silver bills being brought back as an alternate cap.

Outside of that I still like the current uniforms, there is nothing wrong with them.

Thome25
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
The White Sox want to be one of those teams that hardly ever change their uniform style like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers ,Cardinals, and Tigers. That is understandable after the numerous uniform changes in the 70's and 80's.

With that said, I voted no but I wouldn't be opposed to the White Sox adding a black away jersey with the script "Chicago" on the front.

Also, the current uniform is the one they won the WS in. There's already some history in the current uni. It is destined to go down as one of the greatest if not the greatest Sox uniform of all time like the 1917 S-O-X logo.

Thome25
04-24-2008, 10:28 AM

Comiskey II was modeled after Yankee Stadium. Don't think the uniforms weren't also chosen in 1990 with ol' pinstripes in mind.

Shows how much you know.....The current uniforms were actually chosen with the 1950's Sox uniforms in mind.....most notably 1959.

I thought an elephant never forgets?

downstairs
04-24-2008, 10:30 AM
The constant changing of colors and uniforms in the MLB really hurts the tradition of the teams doing it. I dug the wild changes the Sox made in the last century, but I really appreciate their sticking to one tradition now that barely any team is.

I could entertain changing the script of the road uniform, but I don't hate it. But it would match a little better if it was more old-english/gothic/whatever.

I remember back in 1999 when MLB did the stupid "Turn ahead the clock" promotion. The Yankees refused to participate. George Steinbrenner was asked why the Yankees were not wearing a futuristic version of their uniforms, and he replied: "We are."

Thome25
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
The constant changing of colors and uniforms in the MLB really hurts the tradition of the teams doing it. I dug the wild changes the Sox made in the last century, but I really appreciate their sticking to one tradition now that barely any team is.

I could entertain changing the script of the road uniform, but I don't hate it. But it would match a little better if it was more old-english/gothic/whatever.

I remember back in 1999 when MLB did the stupid "Turn ahead the clock" promotion. The Yankees refused to participate. George Steinbrenner was asked why the Yankees were not wearing a futuristic version of their uniforms, and he replied: "We are."

That's what I like about the current uniforms. If we keep it for even longer than we already have or never change it for that matter *crosses fingers* then it becomes a tradition.

Plenty of teams have proud uniform traditions and as I said in an earlier post the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers, Giants, Tigers, Cubs etc. have all worn basically the same uniform for years and years.

I want the White Sox to do the same.

FedEx227
04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Keep them all, some of the best in the league, don't change a thing.

aryzner
04-24-2008, 10:39 AM
The current Sox uniforms are easily in the top 5 (if not top 3) of the best looking uniforms in baseball. (And if you ask me, they're the best.) No reason to change. They look awesome.

alohafri
04-24-2008, 10:49 AM
No changes. Just start wearing the black alternate jerseys less often.

I agree. I like the home white with pinstripes and the gray road uniforms. The black jerseys have a batting practice look to them.

HitMan_naMtiH
04-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I think all the uniforms are bad ass especially the black one. I wouldn't change anything about them either they're pretty much perfect the way they are.

C-Dawg
04-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Why not use a different uniform style for each game of a homestand? Let's see, we can have:

1987-1990
1976-1981
1991-2008
1971-1975
1982-1986
1965-1970
1950s
etc
etc
etc, all repeated throughout the entire homestand!

VeeckAsInWreck
04-24-2008, 11:36 AM
The current uniforms were actually chosen with the 1950's Sox uniforms in mind.....most notably 1959.

That is correct and the color scheme of Silver and Black was chosen because the LA/Oakland Raiders had the top selling merchandise at the time. I don't have a link for that but I remember reading an article about it.

WhiteSox5187
04-24-2008, 11:39 AM
That is correct and the color scheme of Silver and Black was chosen because the LA/Oakland Raiders had the top selling merchandise at the time. I don't have a link for that but I remember reading an article about it.
While the current uniforms WERE based off the ones from the 1950s, those uniforms were based off of the ones worn by the Yankees.

veeter
04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Bring back the red pinstripes.Yes. At least fom time to time.

Red Barchetta
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM

I also remember a commercial for Nike after the SOX signed Bo Jackson. It had Raider and Sox cheerleaders both dressed in silver/black promoting Bo and his shoe of choice. Nike definitely took advantage of the common color scheme between the two clubs.

Hitmen77
04-24-2008, 12:16 PM
The White Sox want to be one of those teams that hardly ever change their uniform style like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers ,Cardinals, and Tigers. That is understandable after the numerous uniform changes in the 70's and 80's.

People who aren't old enough to remember or weren't following the Sox back then might not appreciate how great it is to have a consistent, well-liked brand identity (logo, uniforms) for the Sox.

When I was a kid back in the late 70s and early 80s, the Sox uniforms were a frickin' joke. The Cubs had their long-time logo and blue pinstripes and the Sox...well....what the heck were the Sox uniforms? For a while it was those awful "throwback" ones of the late 70s, then it was the huge block letters across the chest, then it was the late 80s uniforms that were generic looking with that goofy, loopy "C". The Cubs were classic, stable, tradition while the Sox were desperately tried to re-invent their image every few years....and each new uniform made us Sox fans the subject of ridicule.

eriqjaffe
04-24-2008, 12:25 PM
I've been a Sox fan since the softball uniforms were current, and I have a soft spot in my heart for those and the "winning ugly" era uniforms.

That being said, I think the current look is darn near perfect. Ditching the vest was a good idea, I never liked how that looked - but at least it was a real vest, and not one of those fake ones with black sleeves sewn right on to the jersey...well, it was after a while.

The only change I'd make is just make the player names on the black alts into solid white, the white-black-silver just makes it too hard to read.

hi im skot
04-24-2008, 12:29 PM
http://shanti.railsblog.com/assets/2007/8/23/officespace_samir.jpg

"This idea is, is...terrible, this idea"

soxfan21
04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't really want them to change uni's. I think that they should wear the black one a little less, even though those are my favorites. I think that they have to wear the white pinstripes more especially for the home night games because those are among the best in baseball at this time.

RCWHITESOX
04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I think it's pretty ridiculous that they've had so many uniform changes. I'm glad they found a good one and are sticking to it. It should never change again.

I'm with you 100%

ihatethecubs
04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
i say keep the current ones, but maybe add another alternate retro jersey for sunday games like in '01.

A.T. Money
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
If you change anything with the road greys, then change the lettering from the script Chicago to the block lettering CHICAGO like they had in 1959.

Everything else you can keep the same.

Keep the black jerseys only for special occasions.

A.T. Money
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM

Those are brutal...forget it.

A.T. Money
04-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes.

As long as we don't look like the Yankees.

We even copied their stadium.

Actually, we copied Dodger Stadium.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Actually, we copied Dodger Stadium.

That's why the seats had that nice shade of Dodger blue to them. Also if I'm not mistaken the Cell doubled as Dodger Stadium in the film "Rookie Of The Year".

hi im skot
04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
That's why the seats had that nice shade of Dodger blue to them. Also if I'm not mistaken the Cell doubled as Dodger Stadium in the film "Rookie Of The Year".

Correct.

SaltyPretzel
04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
I'd like to see the diamond patch from the road uniform on the home uniform.

I thought the lettering on the original black jerseys looked much cleaner and easier to read.

Also, I like the old "Chicago" lettering from the 1976-1981 jerseys and wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Red Barchetta
04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
i say keep the current ones, but maybe add another alternate retro jersey for sunday games like in '01.

I agree. Since we only average 12 Sunday Home games (excluding playoffs of course :D:) per season, I would like to see a retro Sunday promotion whereas they wear a retro uniform or alternate uniform since we have such a rich tradtion in uniforms (although some have been pretty fugly). I think it would make a great promotion, however Brooks mentioned earlier they need MLB approval for such type of promotions at least a year in advance.

I also think the Cubs and SOX miss golden opportunities to show off vintage uniforms from both teams. Each interleague series could showcase a specific year by having both teams wear vintage uniforms. One home and one away for each team. I think that would be a great promotion - again on Sundays!

C-Dawg
04-24-2008, 04:25 PM
I also think the Cubs and SOX miss golden opportunities to show off vintage uniforms from both teams. Each interleague series could showcase a specific year by having both teams wear vintage uniforms. One home and one away for each team.

Well, remember they tried that in 2006 when the Sox debuted the 1906 uniforms at USCF but the Cubs stuck with their alternate blue tops. Even the Tribune gave them a subtle jab for failing to meet the Sox halfway on that occasion.

PKalltheway
04-24-2008, 04:25 PM
The current uniforms the Sox have are just fine. They don't need to change them, ever.

October26
04-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Phew! I was really worried. With all the stress the Sox fans have been under this week, I thought you all had lost your mind. But I see that sanity prevails as the vast majority says Nay to new uniforms. Thank goodness! I like the current uniforms just fine - thank you very much!

PalehosePlanet
04-24-2008, 04:36 PM
NO!!!!!

We have silver as our 3rd/accent color. The silver accents the black and white now as the red used to in the 50's.

Personally, I'm glad we don't have silver accents on the hat (like the red outlined the white on the 50's era sox hats).

WhiteSox Brad
04-26-2008, 07:56 AM
The current uniforms are great! I say stick with them. The alternate black uniforms are awful, though. Why have the Sox been wearing these almost every game this year?

I like the idea of wearing different throwback uniforms for each home Sunday game.

Stoky44
04-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Here is an idea I threw around 5 years ago...

"Here is just kind of a crazy idea. I know we were pioneers with the solid black alternate jersey. Why don't we be pioneers and come up with a third alternate pants: all black, (Maybe with a stripe down the legs like on the gray pants). I know at first every one is going to jump on this and say hell no, that would be terible, but if you think about it, it might actually be kind of cool for a change. The alternate black jersey with black pants could look very bad ass. Or even on the road black pants with the gray jerseys could look cool. But I think we should be the first team in baseball to re-introduce black pants as an alternate third pants option."

tick53
04-26-2008, 09:07 AM
I'd like to see the red pinstripes make a come back.

I wouldn't mind seeing them for a throw-back night or even a weekend but the current Sox unis are the best in baseball. The Old English "Sox" logo is excellent.

tick53
04-26-2008, 09:13 AM
If we do change, it shoud be minor. I would love if we did the 1959-style logo and numbers on a white jersey instead of the cream color. I say again, the throwback are cool but I love what they wear today.

They wore these unis on Saturday night in '05 when they played the Dodger to commemorate the '59 World Series. Sox won and AJ went deep.

#1swisher
04-26-2008, 10:02 AM
NO!!!!!

couldn't and wouldn't say it better!!

Rockman218
04-26-2008, 10:29 AM
NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!!

It's the best logo in baseball. (I'm totally biased) and Black and White is what makes us different from most other teams. It seems like more than half the major league teams has red or blue as their main color. The sox have to keep their individuality.

Elephant
04-26-2008, 10:50 AM
If we do change, it shoud be minor. I would love if we did the 1959-style logo and numbers on a white jersey instead of the cream color.

I like our colors now, since we're not the red-and-white-Sox, but we totally should've emulated the number shape on those jerseys. The ones we have now are generic. The Red Sox have a cool number design as do a few other teams. IMO that's the one thing we're really missing.

asindc
04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
NO! And yes, I meant to shout! I'm curious to hear from those who voted for a change. Why?

Whitesox029
04-26-2008, 11:31 AM
When I saw the home whites on TV for the first time this year on Thursday night (the only other time they wore them was the loss to the Tigers, and I was at that game), I was blown away yet again by how awesome they are. Best home uniforms in baseball, Yankees and Orioles included. And that's not even mentioning the road grays, which are also top tier.

Andy T Clown
04-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Just a patch on the sleeve that says 2008 World Champions :D:

ElevenUp
04-26-2008, 11:54 AM
With the current combinations of vests, blacks, pinstripes and grays, I see no reason to change.

vegyrex
04-26-2008, 01:06 PM
No! Change nothing.

We got it right and no need to change a thing.

soxpride724
04-26-2008, 01:08 PM
I like the current unis. I would though like to see more throw back the clock days etc where they wear the throwbacks. Maybe just a few more times a year etc...

ws05champs
04-26-2008, 01:42 PM
White with black pinstripes look very classy, as does the current logo. The black has the look of striking fear into the hearts of our opponents. Change nothing.

oeo
04-26-2008, 02:01 PM
With the current combinations of vests, blacks, pinstripes and grays, I see no reason to change.

The vests: they gone.

FielderJones
04-26-2008, 02:14 PM

First Yankees pinstripes: 1912 (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1912_newyork.gif&Entryid=194)

First White Sox pinstripes: 1912 (http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1912_chicago.gif&Entryid=189)

The Sox have used pinstripes on and off throughout their history. Don't get so caught up the the East Coast hype.

sox1970
04-26-2008, 02:57 PM
I'd like to see uniforms that don't have the names, "MacDougal", "Anderson", and "Ramirez", on the back.

HawkTheGM
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I think we can come up with a compromise.

How about alternating black and red pinstripes, with a plain white back. We wear the current hat but have the SOX across the chest like in the 80s.

flo-B-flo
04-26-2008, 10:02 PM
No changes. Just start wearing the black alternate jerseys less often. Home pins and road grays. Classic look, sell the black jerseys don't wear them.

RadioheadRocks
04-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Classiest unis in baseball... don't fix what ain't broke!

Nellie_Fox
04-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Here is an idea I threw around 5 years ago...

"Here is just kind of a crazy idea. I know we were pioneers with the solid black alternate jersey. Why don't we be pioneers and come up with a third alternate pants: all black, (Maybe with a stripe down the legs like on the gray pants). I know at first every one is going to jump on this and say hell no, that would be terible, but if you think about it, it might actually be kind of cool for a change. The alternate black jersey with black pants could look very bad ass. Or even on the road black pants with the gray jerseys could look cool. But I think we should be the first team in baseball to re-introduce black pants as an alternate third pants option."Your idea hasn't gotten better with age.

LongLiveFisk
04-27-2008, 12:27 AM
No way. They finally got it right. I hope this uniform is the team's identity forever. :cool:

Jaysox
04-27-2008, 01:15 AM
I love our uniforms. All my braves fan buddies always tell me they love the black jerseys. DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!

russ99
04-27-2008, 05:50 AM

Actually, I'd prefer the powder blue & red road jersey feom 72 myself. :tongue:

I wouldn't mind some subtle variations to the road and third jerseys (better mix of grey/silver and black, or that dark-red trim idea) but the caps and home unis should stay the same. They're perfect.

Also, since Brooks is running things, he understands the value of a good branding. To change the globally recognized White Sox branding just to be different would be a horrible idea.

k2wilson
04-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Change uniforms? Not just "no", but "hell no"!:upsidehead:

TornLabrum
04-27-2008, 07:29 AM
I checked "no," but I really would love to see them dump the black alternative tops.

LITTLE NELL
04-27-2008, 09:44 AM
We have changed uniforms more than any other team. Right now we have the classiest unis in MLB, enough with even talking about it.

Oldfellah
04-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Three Words: NO!!

comiskey2000
04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
How do we know the vests are gone? Didn't they wear them a few times last year?

I want Mags back
04-27-2008, 11:28 AM

they arent available for purchase now

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=709745&cp=1452347.1452701

johnnyg83
04-27-2008, 08:21 PM

Pretty sure I saw it in the MLB style guide update that came out around New Year's ... probably wouldn't be too hard to bring 'em back though.

RadioheadRocks
04-27-2008, 08:48 PM

I may be one of the few that liked the vests, but only as an occasional thing. I have no problem with the team doing away with them though, and we'll always have the first couple games of the 2005 ALDS to look back on if we ever feel the need to see them again! :D:

Law11
04-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Have them wear the black jerseys with black pants..
Like the Pirates old all yellow uni's..

Have a silver stripe down the side of the pants..

asindc
04-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I may be one of the few that liked the vests, but only as an occasional thing. I have no problem with the team doing away with them though, and we'll always have the first couple games of the 2005 ALDS to look back on if we ever feel the need to see them again! :D:

I also like the vests, but also don't have a big problem with them not coming back. Just leave the current home stripe/road grey color scheme alone!

RustyKuntz
04-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Keep the same theme, but make some minor updates.

I'd like to see them actually wear white socks. But I think I'm the only one.

I also agree with the earlier post that the unis could use a third accent color, like the red in the 1950s uniforms.

Black and silver is so 90's.

Nellie_Fox
04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I'd like to see them actually wear white socks. But I think I'm the only one.No, you're not. :cheers:

hi im skot
04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Keep the same theme, but make some minor updates.

I'd like to see them actually wear white socks. But I think I'm the only one.

EGSI316RwWs

34 Inch Stick
04-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Exactly my thinking.

Tinker a little bit with the road uniforms. Maybe a number on the sleeve like the vintage Nellie Fox ones they sell. Also a change in the font would be fine.

Lose the black softball uniforms.

The truth is there will only be a change when the uniform loses its popularity in merchandise sales.

The Critic
04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I like the current uniforms just fine, but one of the things I liked about the Sox when I was younger was the fact that they changed their uniform style every few years or so. Gave them a new look and gave me an excuse to buy more Sox gear.
I wouldn't mind another uniform change, and if it's awful they always have the current ones to fall back on.

goon
04-28-2008, 03:29 PM
The Yankee and White Sox logos can look similar. I was wearing my White Sox hat in Boston one night when a drunk Red Sox fan stumbled up to me and gave me a lecture about how the Yankees suck. My guess is he saw I was wearing a dark hat with a white letter-based logo on it and mistook it for an NY.

Maybe to stupid drunk people in Boston who know nothing about baseball. Besides that, not really at all.

harwar
04-28-2008, 03:40 PM
no

TornLabrum
04-28-2008, 08:42 PM
No, you're not. :cheers:

I'm all for that, too.

TornLabrum
04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Maybe to stupid drunk people in Boston who know nothing about baseball. Besides that, not really at all.

Actually the Sox pinstripes and logo were designed by Chuck Comiskey around 1950 (I'd have to look up the exact date, and I'm more interested in going to bed right now). He deliberately patterned them after the Yankees uniforms.

SoxGirl4Life
04-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Have them wear the black jerseys with black pants..
Like the Pirates old all yellow uni's..

Have a silver stripe down the side of the pants..

Nooooooooooo.... you just gave me flashbacks of the Bears in all-navy. :puking:

goon
04-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Actually the Sox pinstripes and logo were designed by Chuck Comiskey around 1950 (I'd have to look up the exact date, and I'm more interested in going to bed right now). He deliberately patterned them after the Yankees uniforms.

That maybe true, but I still don't see the connection as far as the logo goes... the pinstripes are pretty obvious, however.

GeoffNotBlum
04-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Make the socks white.

I remember the late '70s-early '80s logo, but I didn't really become a FAN until '83 with those uniforms. That SOX was based on a logo from 1920. The Sox were one of the first teams to abandon the powder blue uniform on the road. They were also the first in baseball to put the players' names on the back.

One other possibility, and I don't know how they would do it: Have home and road caps, like the Cards, Cubs, Tigers of today or the Sox, Brewers of the early '80s.

I don't see a need for a third cap like they have in St Louis.

tonyce
04-30-2008, 12:57 AM
The current black and silver Old English logo of the White Sox is really an updated version of the classic Old English logo of the 1951-1975 period. In fact, I prefer the classic red Old English logo of 1975 rather than today's updated black and silver Old English Sox logo. Side by side with the modern Old English logo, the classic actually looks better. If you look at it closely, the font's "S" and "O" are slightly different. It was a shame that the White Sox marketing department preferred an "updated version" of the Old English logo. So far as the web sites are concerned, this earlier Old English Sox logo is not displayed.

The White Sox marketing department could have saved a lot of money by simply adopting the classic Old English logo rather than submitting an updated version. Even though the 1950's Old English logo was great, with the navy blue Old English logo of the 1960's also great, the red Old English Sox logo of the 1971-1975 period was my favorite. If there is a uniform change, I would like the red pinstripes back with the classic Old English logo, not the updated one we currently have.

Look below, at the left is the 1971-1975 classic Old English logo, in the second from the left is the 1950's classic Old English logo, the third and fourth from the left is the red 1971-1975 classic Old English logo, and on the right is the current updated version.

anewman35
04-30-2008, 06:43 AM
The White Sox marketing department could have saved a lot of money by simply adopting the classic Old English logo rather than submitting an updated version.

How would it have saved a lot of money?

Thome25
04-30-2008, 07:54 AM
The only problem I have with the 70's red uniforms is that a red S-O-X logo with red pinstripes and red caps screams "Red Sox" to me.

IMO it's the same situation with the black S-O-X logo and black socks on the current home whites. We're not the "Black Sox" are we? (I would hope not.)

WTS.....I hope the White Sox DO NOT change their uniforms.....I'd like for them to become a tradition. (If they haven't already....The old english S-O-X and variations of it have been around for a long time.)

JNS
05-02-2008, 09:13 AM
NEVER - these are the best they have ever had.

they are an adaptation of the classic uniforms they wore in the 50s and 60s and therefore are the in the basic style that has been worn the most.

And they have had the most success in them too - with the exception of the 1983 division championship all of their 1st place finishes have been in these uniforms, more or less.

1959. Great years (no championships) in 1964, 65, 67. And later in 93, 2000, and of course 2005. All in various versions of this uniform, which is also the best looking uniform.

So don't mess with it!

Red Barchetta
05-02-2008, 09:54 AM
White with black pinstripes look very classy, as does the current logo. The black has the look of striking fear into the hearts of our opponents. Change nothing.

...and the limp wristed Cubbie Paw on their alternative jerseys don't?!?!?! :D:

Seriously, I thought the Cub brass voted those out last season. Now they're back.

I always tease my brother-in-law Cub fan about those. They are so weak! Why not simply use the Cub logo and put the Cubbie Bear on the sleeve similar to their home pinstripes? I think that is the silliest-looking logo in the game today.

rwcescato
05-02-2008, 01:10 PM
The pinstripes and road greys are classic... change NOTHING!
The pin stripes should last forever. this is the only one they should have.
In my opinion.

eriqjaffe
05-02-2008, 01:33 PM
The pin stripes should last forever. this is the only one they should have.
In my opinion.No road jerseys?

VeeckAsInWreck
05-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Nostalgia is the only reason I can see anyone liking this uniform

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/features/1997/swinginas/1974/images/fisk.jpg

Red Barchetta
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Nostalgia is the only reason I can see anyone liking this uniform

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/features/1997/swinginas/1974/images/fisk.jpg

I do like the "Chicago" lettering though.

Interesting that they had "Chicago" on both the home and away jerseys and then switched in 1983 to the red-white-blue "softball style" where both the home and away jerseys had "SOX" on them.

soxfanreggie
05-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I voted for no change; however, I am not opposed to having a few alternates, like retro jerseys to wear every once in a while.

ondafarm
05-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Bring back Veeck's pajamas.