PDA

View Full Version : Jose "Manos" Valentin

BuehrleACE56
04-30-2002, 08:42 AM
Look at me! I can't field or throw. I haven't hit well since 2000. How come I am still starting? Where is Joe Crede anyways?
:manos
2000 .273
2001 .258
2002 .218 (23 games)

he has never hit over .275 in his career
2000 has obviously a career year for him by far. No other year was nearly as good. THE ERRORS! UGH!

harwar
04-30-2002, 08:50 AM
Jose is one of two favorites for me on the Sox,but i have a feeling that J.Crede would be starting for a lot of other teams.

No-Neck
04-30-2002, 09:00 AM
Dump Mr. Sourpuss, Frank Thomas, and let Manos DH with Crede starting at third. There's enough power on the field and bench,

You'll save 9 million, and KW could go out and get a stud starter.

cheeses_h_rice
04-30-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
Look at me! I can't field or throw. I haven't hit well since 2000. How come I am still starting? Where is Joe Crede anyways?
2000 .273
2001 .258
2002 .218 (23 games)

2000 has obviously a career year for him by far. No other year was nearly as good. THE ERRORS! UGH!

Give him some time. Jose is one of the guys I think you'll see turn it around this year. Maybe hit .275 with 25-30 HRs and 80 RBIs.

This past weekend is past us, so we need to get over it. I was happy with Jose's fielding before these 3 games, and it was just 3 games.

Kilroy
04-30-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by No-Neck
Dump Mr. Sourpuss, Frank Thomas, and let Manos DH with Crede starting at third. There's enough power on the field and bench,

You'll save 9 million, and KW could go out and get a stud starter.

Hmmm, lemme see here. Let's get rid of a hall of fame player w/ career average of .319 and who'll give you 30 home runs, 100 runs, rbi, and walks minimum as an after thought, and give his roster spot to a career .247 hitter.

Do me a favor and apply for the Cubs' GM job. With you at the helm, they'd be a candidate for contraction in 2 years.

Randar68
04-30-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by BuehrleACE56
2000 .273
2001 .258
2002 .218 (23 games)

LMAO!!!!

Good thing Average is the only important element of offense...

Soxboyrob
04-30-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Hmmm, lemme see here. Let's get rid of a hall of fame player w/ career average of .319 and who'll give you 30 home runs, 100 runs, rbi, and walks minimum as an after thought, and give his roster spot to a career .247 hitter.

Are we sure he'll give us this production this year? I know he's done it in the past, but he's starting to make me nervous. It's fairly reasonable to figure he'll get the 30 HRs and the 100 RBI, especially considering the guys batting in front of and behind him. I'm not one in favor of trading the guy because I fear he'd immediately revert back to his hall of fame production and make the Sox look the fool, but it would be nice if he could start to look like the Frank of old. It's getting tough to watch him fail to get quality at bats and strike out so much.

No-Neck
04-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Kilroy, This is a Sox Forum, why are you bringing up the Flubs and contraction? I don't see any thing in your argument.

Thomas is a mere shell of what he was in the early and mid-nineties, and is definitely no longer either a clutch or a draw for Comiskey. In the last three seasons, he has only produced in 2000, and was silent even that year during the playoffs.

He is not the same Frank Thomas I saw earlier.

His good days are long gone, and for 9 million plus, we'd be better off not signing him again.

The reason we drafted Crede and Bouchard are they are our future, and when they are ready they should be brought to the majors.

I could really care less about where Manos fits into this equation, but I cringe when ever there's anything hit to him. Thus, maybe he would be better off DHing.

I don't think of the Cubs at all when I'm discussing Sox players. Go to the Cubs board if you want to discuss their management team.

Kilroy
04-30-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Are we sure he'll give us this production this year? I know he's done it in the past, but he's starting to make me nervous.

Even in Frank's two down seasons of 98 and 99, his numbers were better than half the players in the league's good seasons.
And even in years when he was great, he wasn't just great right out of the gate. This year, Frank is cominng off a year off due to injury. It might take more time for him get things going, but he will.

I think one thing that would help him would be for him to move about 4 inches closer to the plate, myself.

nut_stock
04-30-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I think one thing that would help him would be for him to move about 4 inches closer to the plate, myself.

Definitly, he has to dive over the plate to cover the outside half. Im sure he's capable of pulling his hands in for the inside half if he moves a couple inches closer. (especially since he has that open stance)

MattSharp
04-30-2002, 10:33 AM
I said about a week and a half ago that it was time for Crede. I like Jose as much as the next guy, but hes not doing that well. He is getting RBIs, but thats because of where he hits in the lineup. He made a bunch of errors this weekend including some run constantly ones.

I think Jose needs some time off.......

BuehrleACE56
04-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Mattsharp
I think Jose needs some time off.......

Matty makes a good point. Jose needs some time off. Those errors were definately costly. It would have been a closer game for sure without all of the unearned runs. Extending those innings cost us a bunch. I now find myself cringing every time they hit it towards Jose. He was doing well to start the season, really solid at third. But after this recent showing in the field, plus his poor hitting (save RBI production) he should be benched. But don't think Tony G will suddenly give you errorless play.....CREDE!

BuehrleACE56
04-30-2002, 11:02 AM
Frank is in a slump right now and he is definately not the Frank Thomas of old. But even not at his best (also coming off injury) he is still one hell of a ballplayer and better than most. He is perfect for our DH spot. If Jose can't play the field, then he's not worth DHing because you wouldn't get Thomas in there. Whatever happens do not put Thomas at first any more than you have to please! That scares the **** out of me every time, damn. Trading Thomas won't solve anything yet. Maybe if his production continues to slide or if we don't make the playoffs we could give up on him. He is 34. Give him a chance to straighten it out. It's only been 23 games.

duke of dorwood
04-30-2002, 12:17 PM
Kilroy is correct. Closer to the plate. He's getting lots of inside strikes called on him because of the space between himself and the plate. He gets closer and those shots to center and right center will return.

Paulwny
04-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Kilroy is correct. Closer to the plate. He's getting lots of inside strikes called on him because of the space between himself and the plate. He gets closer and those shots to center and right center will return.

I don't know if moving in on the plate is the answer. When Frank was closer to the plate he was flinching or bailing out on inside pitches that were called strikes.
I've only seen 1 game on tv, in that game he wasn't diving in toward the plate as he had in previous years to handle the outside pitch.
As I said it was only 1 game and may have been an abnormality.